I've never seen this before- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

I've never seen this before

I've been racing for close to ten years and I have never seen any rider, amateur or pro do this. This was at the TBF Wednesday Night series in Folsom CA. This section was relatively flat and you are going about 25 mph. Seems it would be dangerously hard to steer and if your hands were jarred off by a bump they would go right into a spinning wheel. The guy won the 30-39 Expert class.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I've never seen this before-10474672_10152524564764437_4486586758388512470_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Seen that a few times... not for me though. That trail looks exceptionally smooth there though so not sure if being jarred off is a concern.

mtbr member

I've never seen this before

Moritz Milatz at the 2014 Nove Mesto World Cup was using that tuck also:

https://forums.mtbr.com/xc-racing-tr...l#post11223857

It's something you'll see people doing occasionally on flat sections. Just so long as they're nowhere near me at the time!

mtbr member
    That's cool and all but uh... I have a Lefty I've tried the forearms aero position that Todd Wells and others used at Leadville but it makes me nervous; I have to have my hands on something.

mtbr member
    I could maybe see it on a road section. That section had about 100 yards of smooth trail then there was a creek drainage through the road, didnt seem worth it to me. Maybe if you were getting paid to race.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    the guy in the OP is not really adding any benefit with his body position. Even the pro with his head down is not doing it right, granted that could just be when the photo was taken.

With a mountain bike, your speed has to be pretty high for the aero position to add any benefit (or a strong head wind). The pro picture shows a nice flat back with minimal torso showing. With his head up, it's a pretty tight position.

It's something that needs to be practiced, not just from a bike handling side, but also the impact it has on your legs and cardio. You are closing your hips so if you're not prepared you may do more damage than good. Triathlon bikes have different seat tube angles to open the hips when in the aero.

Members who have read this thread: 0