Always pushing harder!!!

Its about time for a new saddle

Now that I'm riding for longer preriods of time, i'm lloking for a new, lighter and more comfy saddle. I currently have a Spesh Phenom saddle almost a year old, and I really don't fing ot comfortable anymore. Riding terrain sometimes is very rough, can a carbon saddle take the abuse?
    I know thare are a million options out there, but around here most of the saddles are Bontragers, Phenoms or WTB.

What do you use and why?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    WTB Rocket V if you are not looking for a light weight saddle. I have a WTB silverado SLT on my 21 Lbs. Hard tail and i love it. My dad swears by it too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Phenom Advocate

I was going to recommend a Phenom, I have three of them and they keep my backside pretty happy compared to others I have used, over some bumpy terrain. I noticed I have to pair it with a seatpost clamp that is shallow enough to let the saddle frame flex along its length, or it's not so nice. Some clamps are a bit high and can ride into the bottom of the padding. Just recently replaced the saddle on my old stationary with a Phenom, but had to replace the seatpost too to duplicate the comfort effect I get on my other bikes. But I see Phenoms don't work so well for you! Can you describe more what kind of issues you are having?

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TJXC
    I was going to recommend a Phenom, I have three of them and they keep my backside pretty happy compared to others I have used, over some bumpy terrain. I noticed I have to pair it with a seatpost clamp that is shallow enough to let the saddle frame flex along its length, or it's not so nice. Some clamps are a bit high and can ride into the bottom of the padding. Just recently replaced the saddle on my old stationary with a Phenom, but had to replace the seatpost too to duplicate the comfort effect I get on my other bikes. But I see Phenoms don't work so well for you! Can you describe more what kind of issues you are having?

Discomfort and some pain on the perineum after races...no so on training rides under 2 hours. Maybe I could try and bump to 143 since I have a 130. Padding on shorts is not an issue since for races and long rides I use the ones that are in best shape or newer. What I would really like is a saddle that is comfy enough for endurance rides(3 to 4 hours) and light enough since this is my racing bike. I'm tall, skinny and my legs are wider than normal for my frame...

I'm gonna look in gel saddles from Selle Italia and Specialized. I went out a while ago to check on some Fizik Tundra, but its kind of hard.

likes to ride bikes
    How about the Selle Italia Flite XC Gel? Looking for something that's better for my back than the SLR and blingier than the Trans AM XO Special Edition.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by carlostruco
    Maybe I could try and bump to 143 since I have a 130.
    Go to a good specialized shop and get measured. Those saddles rock if you have the right size, IMO. I have a phenom sl and have ridden it on plenty 40-50 mile rides and love it. They do make a phenom gel and a lot of people like the rival as well.
    It's funny, I'm not a huge specialized bike fan, but I love their tires and saddles.

mtbr member
    I have the Phenom 143 and I love it. It has a pretty good bend to it when going over bumps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TunicaTrails
    How about the Selle Italia Flite XC Gel? Looking for something that's better for my back than the SLR and blingier than the Trans AM XO Special Edition.
    I was an old style Flite user, now switched to SLR. I find the SLR to be MORE comfortable, despite being lighter and having less padding. The base is much more flexible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My recommendation is to demo as many quality saddles as possible. Competitive Cyclist has a great road bike saddle demo program and I believe were planning on establishing a mountain bike saddle demo. I did their road bike demo, which costs like $75 and gets you 12 high end saddles to use for a whole week, and you get a $35 or $45 credit toward any purchase.

Go over to the Endurance Racing forum and run a search on saddles. There is often talk over there because saddles are really important to those guys and gals. The bottom line is saddle fit and preferences are very personal and recommendations from others are only good for getting some ideas on saddles that are really popular.

Some mentioned on the Endurance Racing Forum include:

WTB Rocket V
    Fizik Gobi
    Brooks (something)
    A few others I can't remember but you'll be able to find them.

I did the Competetive Cyclist demo program for my road bike, came really close to getting the Fizik Alliante, but after a week of riding on the 3 or 4 that really stood out as good for me I called them and said "none of these work quite as well my as my mountain bike saddle." They just agreed to sell me another mtb saddle and give me the discount. (I have a WTB Rocket V on both my mountain bike and road bike).

The demo program will cost you a little money, but it is a lot less expensive than making mistakes in purchasing saddles for $100-$200 a pop that end up not working out. Unfortunately, saddle selection is about educated guesses and then trial and error.

The Missing
    May 2007
    fizik aliante XM or even the road version cushy and light if you go with the carbon rails.

I have done multiple 6 hour racers on both the carbon railed and standard rail version.

The XM version is a little more cushy, both great saddles

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Whambat
    Go to a good specialized shop and get measured. Those saddles rock if you have the right size, IMO. I have a phenom sl and have ridden it on plenty 40-50 mile rides and love it. They do make a phenom gel and a lot of people like the rival as well.
    It's funny, I'm not a huge specialized bike fan, but I love their tires and saddles.
    Second on the getting measured at the Specialized dealer. It's really easy, just a little gel pad to sit on for half a minute, then it's calibrated for saddle width where your pelvic bones made the indents. I'm tall and thin, but I clearly indicated a 143 width, and that's what seems to work. Left to my own devices, I might have convinced myself a 130 was correct. I have been pleasantly surprised by the Specialized Body Geometry (BG) stuff, it seems pretty good and they have some measurement methodology to go with it.

mtbr member
    wtb rocket v. I tried a fizik gobi, wtb silverado, and selle italia gel flow slr this year. the rocket v is the most comfortable, and the heaviest. The saddle weighs 250 grams, which isnt terrible I guess. I put a rocket v on my hard tail and my FS bike.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I have a couple saddles mentioned in this thread. I ride the Rocket V on my mountain bike and love it. My saddle is 250 or 260 grams. That's heavy, but this saddle is extremely comfortable and I've never had a problem when riding it. I just checked and pricepoint has the slv version 210 grams between 90-110 dollars. It retails around 160.

I have the Fizik Gobi on my road bike. It weighs 250 and it can be uncomfortable earlier in the year. I was thinking about switching it earlier this year, but after putting more time in the saddle I'm glad I didn't. I spent 9 hours off and on that bike yesterday, logged 82 miles, and I rode the same bike to the store later that day without padded shorts. I did not experience any discomfort. Each person is different though, but those 2 saddles work for me.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Always pushing harder!!!
    I tried today a selle italia Flite Gel Flow...comfy, but I'll try some more saddles...

Rod
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by carlostruco
    I tried today a selle italia Flite Gel Flow...comfy, but I'll try some more saddles...
    Sounds like a good start. Let us know what you end up with and the process you went through to get there. For my next saddle I'm probably going to the spesh dealer so they can help me eliminate the guess work. Riding up hills really pushes you into the saddle if you stay seats and that lets me know I don't have the "perfect" saddle.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

Lusus Naturae
    Have the Phenom 143 but I find its too wide for technical trails. The widest area always leaves huge bruises on my inner thighs as the seat goes through my legs when I need to get further back behind the seat.

I'm looking to get this one below for more technical trails ... only 130mm wide ..but will have to check it out first.

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...6_20000_400033

mtbr member
    Another vote for WTB Rocket V. I went on a 45 mile ride today wearing running shorts and had no discomfort!

mtbr member
    Just did a 6 hour race on my selle italia SLR XC, love it !

mtbr member
    +1 WTB Rocket V

I always had a problem with bent rails after a year of use or so in the past (DH and XC), until I tried one of these. bombproof, comfortable, and plain awesome.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    +1 on the Fizik Aliante Gamma XM. I ride a Brookes for most of my stuff and the only saddle I've tried that ever even came close was the Aliante. I did the Competitve Cyclist demo and the Aliante was the only one that was comfy to me or my brother.

The road versions can cost $200 plus but the mtn bike one costs about $130. I bought a new bike take off for about $75 off Ebay a few weeks ago. Just make sure it's the K:ium XM instead one of the several other options.

Here's one now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...%3DI%26otn%3D2

Always pushing harder!!!
    You know, the Demo Saddle Program its strating to look good for me...I might check it out. I also tried a WTB saddle today...A Silverado and...whoa! Very comfortable saddle. I'm hoping their high end saddles are padded the same...

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I was a WTB guy until I got a bike that came with a Fizik Gobi and gave that a try. I very much like it and it's my new favourite.

After a couple thousand mile (or more maybe), it's really showing wear at the nose and was thinking of trying an Arione CX for more weight savings when it needs to be replaced.

Always pushing harder!!!
    Tried the Fizik Gobi...did not like it...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I have the WTB SpeedV ProGel. I highly suggest you try it out, it makes a world of difference. I like the pro-gel padding, not too soft nor too firm.

mtbr member
    banana seats rock

Always pushing harder!!!
    ended up with a Phenom Team Saddle 143...paid half...better than just the regular Phenom in 130...

Members who have read this thread: 0