Interesting Nino Interview- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Interesting Nino Interview

Interesting interview: https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/33-questi...nino-schurter/
    He says that he has not been using tyre inserts for XC racing and that he has been racing a 120mm Spark, for example.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Nice thanks for posting that

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    30mm IW rims with 2.25 tires really eliminates the need of noodles.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    30mm IW rims with 2.25 tires really eliminates the need of noodles.
    Off Topic:

Why, Does it eliminate most of the pinch flats? Thats my biggest issues with 2.25s inm Races.

Our trails are far more nasty than WC. I need to re-lace some better rims to my hubs.

BTW, I had never pinch flatted anything on my hooked LB 25 ID. New bike but I've pinch flatted probably 5 tires on Kovee Pro 23 ID. Wheels also are a SOB to seat the bead as well. Caused me to start the OZ trails epic 30 minutes late.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Off Topic:

Why, Does it eliminate most of the pinch flats? Thats my biggest issues with 2.25s inm Races.

Our trails are far more nasty than WC. I need to re-lace some better rims to my hubs.

BTW, I had never pinch flatted anything on my hooked LB 25 ID. New bike but I've pinch flatted probably 5 tires on Kovee Pro 23 ID. Wheels also are a SOB to seat the bead as well. Caused me to start the OZ trails epic 30 minutes late.
    I have had more pinch flats this year with a 2.2-2.4 tire combination on a 30mm rim than I have had in the previous 10 years combined. And it is not just me, my whole riding crew has tires with the tell-tale double plug (one at the rim and one on the tread).

Even with inserts and significantly increasing my air-pressure I am still struggling with pinches. The only bike which I have been pinch free on is the one with a 22.5mm internal rear rim.

Could just be a run of bad luck, it could be that I am hitting stuff faster and harder than before, it could be that stiff carbon rim pinch tires, or it could be that wide rim are a problem.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I've had a couple since going to 2.6 on 30mm rims, which is really unusual for me. I think it makes sense because you're running lower pressure and the higher volume gives the tire a lower spring rate, both of which make it easier to bottom out the rim.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    I've had a couple since going to 2.6 on 30mm rims, which is really unusual for me. I think it makes sense because you're running lower pressure and the higher volume gives the tire a lower spring rate, both of which make it easier to bottom out the rim.
    A narrower tire on a 30IW rim has less light bulb effect, so harder to pinch flat and also less prone to sidewall tears. You are confused about higher volume creates lower spring rate, it's actually opposite (in simple terms) which is why you can drop pressure to get the same feel.

I think it's some kind of anomaly in BC that has a person and all his friends getting more tire damage when clearly the trend is headed in WC racing to wider rims. It only makes sense as you don't see wide tires on narrow rims in any other form of sport that uses tires.

ccm
    aka Taprider
    A narrow tire on a wide rim is usually more prone to sidewall cuts since the sidewall rather than the side knobs rub on trail side obstacles
    A large tire at low pressure can act as a more linear spring than a narrow tire at higher pressure, so for rowdy or normal BC riding, the larger tire might be more likely to bottom out.
    A noodle/liner might only need to big/wide enough so that the outer portion of the tire can't contact the rim flanges

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ccm View Post
    A narrow tire on a wide rim is usually more prone to sidewall cuts since the sidewall rather than the side knobs rub on trail side obstacles
    A large tire at low pressure can act as a more linear spring than a narrow tire at higher pressure, so for rowdy or normal BC riding, the larger tire might be more likely to bottom out.
    A noodle/liner might only need to big/wide enough so that the outer portion of the tire can't contact the rim flanges
    I am always hesitant to say that a particular piece of equipment is causing an issue.

I do know that on multiple WC teams there has been some concerns expressed about an increase in the number of pinch flats with adoption of wider rims. And it does seem that teams experimenting with 30s are struggling the most.

Doesn't mean though the wider rims are the cause or even play a factor at all. Modern geometry, more suspension, droppers, improved rider skills all contribute to riders hitting things faster and harder than they have in the past. Watching MSA this year it was crystal clear on just how much harder people were hitting things.

Still though I can't help but question if wider rims are a factor.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Still though I can't help but question if wider rims are a factor.
    I'm happy to attribute it to wider rims if it means I don't have to buy a new wheelset to keep up with the trend

(currently rolling in the stone age on some 23mm id rims that I'd rather now spend a chunk of money to replace)

mtbr member
    My experience is that wider rims are, if anything, more prone to flats and tears. I think this is because 1) You can run lower pressure with a wide rim without the tire rolling when cornering; low pressure=more likelihood of bottoming out. And 2) reduced "lightbulb effect" means sidewalls are more exposed and you are more likely to pinch just the sidewall. With narrower rims pinches tend to be a rock-tread-sidewall-rim sandwich, and there's more material and reinforcement in the tread.

Formerly of Kent
    I'd take any and all answers that deal with the use of non-sponsored equipment with a large grain of salt.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    I would not be shocked it if the pinch flats were due to wider rims and lower pressures. Low pressures and wide rims are great right till they are not. On narrow rims to low a pressure will move around alot since the cornering support comes from the air and less the rim. With wide rims you get alot of support from the rim so low pressures work. Well right until you pinch them. The other thing to consider is with a "light bulb" shape vs a flatter shape the there is more distance from the tire to the rim with narrow rims. Just think of sidewall height on both sides plus tread width. For a given tire it is always the same but on narrow rims that tends balloon out more and maybe create a few mm more space before the tire contacts the rim on a hit. These factors while small if combined with simply hitting things harder due to more speed probably increases the liklihood of a pinch flat that cuts the tire.

What I do know from running 29x3.0 and 29x2.6 on 35mm wide wheels vs 2.3 on 21mm wide wheels is that due to the lower pressures I can run the possiblity of banging rim feel more with wide rims and tires. I so much more pressure in narrow wheels that (or so much less on wide) that the narrow just don't contact. On wide wheels and tires not only can I run less pressure, but I also have to. For a time I ran 29x3.0 with I rigid fork. At 12 psi it would bounce everywhere. At 10 psi it feel oh so night right till I banged a rim. 11 psi was the place to ride it keep it feeling nice, but not band the rim too much. Super sensitive.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '19 Ibis Ripmo, XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    I don't think there's a large range of rims and tires for XC racing if you want to go fast. You can ride whatever you want to ride, but I don't see any real application beyond a fairly narrow range of rim and tire widths. The overall size has increased a bit, but there's a range where you get the optimal traction to mass. Pretty soon you are just carrying extra tire and rim weight that doesn't make you faster. It's not about comfort and railing turns. You need those things to a degree, but to a far lesser degree than just tooling around with friends on a DH. You need to have the fitness and ability to pass someone on the climbs and the descending skills to keep your place or move ahead and put pressure on the DH. There'll always be someone riding a 3.0"-tire SS, but it's usually rare that they win and when they do, more of an indication of a lack of competitiveness in the race series.

In the same idea, I'm pumping up my tires for a race and I don't want to get a pinch and have to put a tube in or fuss with a plug (which has limited ability for a pinch near the bead). It doesn't mean rock hard...but some will think that compared to the 12psi they run usually, but it means I don't want the sidewall to collapse under hard cornering and I don't want to pinch it. The only kind of flat I want it to deal with is a thorn, where the sealant will do it's thing. Anything else and you'll lose too much time trying to repair it. I have serious doubts that lowering the PSI to grip more will really make you faster in a race where so much of it is about physical ability and fitness. The harder you ride, the more pressure you need.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    While I agree with some of what you are saying, many of the top WC racers clearly have a different view as there is a pretty clear trend toward lower pressures (and wider rims). In the OP video, for example, Nino says that his pressures are around 1.15-1.25 bar F and 1.25-1.3 R, which is about 16-18 psi F and 18-19 R.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by mmmaaaiiikkk View Post
    Interesting interview: https://www.mtb-mag.com/en/33-questi...nino-schurter/
    He says that he has not been using tyre inserts for XC racing and that he has been racing a 120mm Spark, for example.
    Does he mean 120mm front or 120mm rear? I couldn't quite discern what he meant.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    Yes

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerpss View Post
    I think he says fork but it's a bit hard to understand for me. I had no idea he was running 120. I'm sure there are others!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by trmn8er View Post
    I think he says fork but it's a bit hard to understand for me. I had no idea he was running 120. I'm sure there are others!
    You can tell when he runs more fork travel because he uses the alloy crown/steerer on his fork. I have to believe RS is testing the carbon one tho to work with 120 travel.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    You can tell when he runs more fork travel because he uses the alloy crown/steerer on his fork. I have to believe RS is testing the carbon one tho to work with 120 travel.
    Iíve been hoping that RS will make a sub-1600g version of a Pike for a long time. Iím quite surprised the 34 SC hasnít had any real competition in this realm yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Iíve been hoping that RS will make a sub-1600g version of a Pike for a long time. Iím quite surprised the 34 SC hasnít had any real c_ompetition in this realm yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    It's a big ask to take a 1/2 lb off the Pike.(considering SIDs are in the 1600+ gram range)
    The 34 SC is a niche market ....semi stiff, semi light and 120 travel....in a world where most want either more travel or a lighter fork.

mtbr member
    Redbull had a bike check this season. 110mm front travel, 120mm back and low tires pressures.

https://www.redbull.com/gb-en/nino-schurter-bike-check

mtbr member
    Here is interesting test on punctures and sidewall tears with tire pressure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00fAYL6mvjo

I have personally been running tire inserts with lower PSI for over a year now and (knock on wood) have not punctured, pinch flatted or torn sidewall since. I am completely sold on running tire inserts with lower PSI.