Improving endurance- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Improving endurance

Hi all, I am a 45 year old professional who is out of shape. I have no desire to race but want to improve my fitness so I can keep up with group rides and more importantly, my 18 year old son who trains almost daily with his lacrosse team. I purchased Joel Friel's Training Bible and am wondering if I really need to get that detailed to meet my goals? Any advice, I don't mind testing to see where my LT is and doing intervals, but I gues I want a more general plan to increase overall endurance more than anything.

Has skills-will travel
    Jun 2008
    Keep it simple if your not racing - you just need to ride more. If you get up to over 8 hours a week than maybe start doing a more structured plan.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    would agree with that. just have fun and ride more for starters! if you want to add a little spice, perhaps try once or twice a week to push yourself fairly hard up hills or for stretches of 5-10minutes a few times, and keep it more mellow on other days. i think you'd see a lot of improvement from just having fun and riding for a while, and as the other poster said, if you're crossing maybe 8hrs a week or plateauing, you can think of getting more specific.

lgh
    mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    ditto on what's been said. Ride more and have fun. Been doing that myself this year. At 45 you might want to do some whole body resistance exercises to avoid muscle imbalances. You will get those when you bump up your hours and they will ruin your day.

Larry

mtbr member
    Try to emulate base training to improve endurance:
    -Ride long (2-3 hours), but not too hard. I like best to start easy and build intensity steadily as the ride proceeds. Or climb nice and steady, and bomb the DHs for intensity work.
    -Ride at least 3 days a week. Tues, Thurs, and Sat is a good pattern. It's better to keep days separated if riding few days.

Definitely integrate core/strength work on non-riding days. If you don't get faster at least you'll look good.
    Last edited by Poncharelli; 10-05-2012 at 08:45 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Poncharelli is right. First you need to build some base. It takes time but progress is significant. After that you will be able train specific skills.

Also some core training is important. It won't take you much time to perform some exercises every day and you'll be more fit. More endure

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli View Post
    Ride long (2-3 hours), but not too hard. I like best to start easy and build intensity steadily as the ride proceeds.
    Hey Ponch - can you elaborate? I thought base rides were typically done at a steady or constant pace? Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcm01 View Post
    Hey Ponch - can you elaborate? I thought base rides were typically done at a steady or constant pace? Thanks
    Probably another way to interprete intensity is via this chart:
    https://bbbootcamp.files.wordpress.c...3/exertion.jpg

Start the ride at PE=4 and end at PE=6. The only reason i say this is because of typical power degradation during long rides. X Watts at the beginning of the ride feels easy, but feels hard at the end. Going from PE 4 to 6 is an indirect method of keeping power output flat.

Members who have read this thread: 0