??How to increase your leg strength??- Mtbr.com

Feb 2004

??How to increase your leg strength??

Is it better to do leg presses and then ride, or ride and then lift?

Likewise, for some reason I find that if I concentrate on increasing my cadence, my leg strength decreases in the long run, and also if I try to work on my leg power my cadence decreases.

What to do and in what order?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kley

Likewise, for some reason I find that if I concentrate on increasing my cadence, my leg strength decreases in the long run, and also if I try to work on my leg power my cadence decreases.

I always felt that it was better to spin and develop the cardio, and let the legs develop as you train. I ususally loose weight over the winter in the form of withering quads, but they will come back fairly quick with normal training. Gradually you find you are doing certain trails in a bigger gear, which is a measure of strength development.

aka Willy Vanilly
    I don't have a very technical, specific answer but I've found that running (especially doing hills) really helps with my leg strength.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kley

I would do leg presses and then ride because your core strength (stomach, back, etc) will be there to prevent injury.

Mar 2004
    Don't limit yourself to just leg presses if you truly want to build the strength. Add in a range of lifts including presses, squats (I personally find front squats to help more), lunges, leg curls and calf work. As with anything, don't over do it, because too much does hurt your development more than help.

If you want to do some development on the bike, try riding your entire day standing. Find a good long climb and do it a few times. Ride the hill, then run the hill. Ride your trail then run your trail. There are so many ways to build leg strength, but remember, leg strength does not automatically equate to endurance.

Members who have read this thread: 0