Devil Mtn

help -- saddle sores!

So, I'm having problems with saddle sores recently...been riding for a long time with no trouble until the past month or so. To get rid of them I've tried new shorts, different saddles and suddenly i can't seem to ride without getting them (on the road or MTB). I always get right out of my shorts and wash them after a ride so I doubt it is the shorts.

I assume these are what are called saddle sores--they are small bumps which look a bit like pimples, but there is also redness in the crease where my butt meets my crotch. I'm half wondering if the heat is contributing to it....

They seem to mostly go away in about a week, but i'm getting frustrated because I'm losing fitness by not riding while I have them (yeah, i go to the gym and play soccer, but it is different on the bike).

I've read a bit about this online and there seem to be many answers given, so I thought i'd post again here to see if anyone had any advice. How do you treat them? How do you prevent them? etc.

Wizard of the Trail
    Quote Originally Posted by reklar
    So, I'm having problems with saddle sores recently...been riding for a long time with no trouble until the past month or so. To get rid of them I've tried new shorts, different saddles and suddenly i can't seem to ride without getting them (on the road or MTB). I always get right out of my shorts and wash them after a ride so I doubt it is the shorts.

I assume these are what are called saddle sores--they are small bumps which look a bit like pimples, but there is also redness in the crease where my butt meets my crotch. I'm half wondering if the heat is contributing to it....

They seem to mostly go away in about a week, but i'm getting frustrated because I'm losing fitness by not riding while I have them (yeah, i go to the gym and play soccer, but it is different on the bike).

I've read a bit about this online and there seem to be many answers given, so I thought i'd post again here to see if anyone had any advice. How do you treat them? How do you prevent them? etc.

check out this thread. link

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I had just on spot that was giving me problems for the past 2months. It grew to become cyst like and much larger. My doctor gave me a prescription for a topical antibiotic mixed with lowdose hydrocortisone and antifungal cream. It took 1 week to shrink it and 3-4 weeks total to eliminate it.

Apparently, staphylococcal bacterial get in the tissue and take root. You need to talk to your doct!

The chamios butter or vaseline....etc are great to prevent more sores...but you need antibiotic to get ride of the existing infection.

Pain-meister!
    Feb 2004

My current approach

I have had this problem off and on for years. Here's my current scheme:

1) If at all possible, wash yer booty right before you ride or race
    2) Use some of the alcohol-based "skin germ killer" gel; apply for about 15 sec, allow to dry
    3) Work in a fair bit of "Udderly Smooth" skin cream; inexpensive and as good or better than anything else!
    4) Clean up as soon as you finish; either wash if practical, or use some "baby wipes", apply more Udderly Smooth, and loose shorts

For LONG rides (like this past weekend's Off Road Assault on Mt Mitchell), I carried antibacterial wipe and a small packet of Udderly Smooth; wiped off and re-applied about 3-4 hrs into the event. Survived without a problem!

Devil Mtn
    thanks for the replies guys...i guess i'm going to try awhile longer off the bike completely. if that doesn't work, i'll go see the doc....