Got the racing bug- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Got the racing bug

I did my first race this past sunday and I had a blast, but my Camber is no way a race bike.So it got me thinking of getting something that is more race specific. Should I go full squish like a Epic or Tallboy? or get a hard tail ( giant Xtc or Stumpjumper) to save a little weight? my budget would be around 3500 and I would go for something used so I could save some money.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Depends..

Technical,rough terrain with bumps,rocks,drops etc. full suspension
    Not so technical and if race is not long then hard trail
    If your age is high like above 40-45 you might not like the stiffness/beating of hard trail
    3500 can buy a very good hard trail bike used or not used,however it may not buy a high end full suspension.

Combine your strengths and weaknesses with the requirements of the race track to get a good result

For example if the track requires very little technical riding and it requires too much climbing buy a hard trail especially if you have struggle in climbs.

And if the race track is technical and you have poor handling skills buy a full suspension.However if you have good skills then you might make a more detailed decision but if the bike fits both requirements of both the trail and you,then it is easy to decide between FS and hard trail
    As long as the devil is hiding the details,the question remains:Is that all you got?Are you sure?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    the camber is plenty capable and wont hold you back, depending on what model you have I would get a really nice set of wheels and put some lighter better rolling tires on it and call it a day. would be way cheaper than buying a whole new bike. is the camber you own a carbon model?

I honestly don't think getting a new bike will make you any faster but i could be wrong. there are just so many different variables to make testing pretty hard but you could always borrow someones epic and compare times on loops that you ride a lot and see if it is any better. for the record the only thing that i think has ever made a noticeable improvement was training more.

if you owned a stumperjumper fsr i would more apt to say go ahead and buy a race bike but the epic and camber are only 10mm difference in travel, and the camber is a tiny bit slacker head angle.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adumb View Post
    the camber is plenty capable and wont hold you back, depending on what model you have I would get a really nice set of wheels and put some lighter better rolling tires on it and call it a day. would be way cheaper than buying a whole new bike. is the camber you own a carbon model?

I honestly don't think getting a new bike will make you any faster but i could be wrong. there are just so many different variables to make testing pretty hard but you could always borrow someones epic and compare times on loops that you ride a lot and see if it is any better. for the record the only thing that i think has ever made a noticeable improvement was training more.

if you owned a stumperjumper fsr i would more apt to say go ahead and buy a race bike but the epic and camber are only 10mm difference in travel, and the camber is a tiny bit slacker head angle.
    I wish it was the carbon version, it is a mostly stock 2013 comp, I have it set up tubeless and it weighs 29.5 lbs, the wheel suggestion is a great idea.
    2017 Surly Ogre

I love Pisgah
    As stated, you can get a lot for the $ by going HT. Find a good upgradeable 29 HT(good--preferably carbon frame, fork, brakes) with a decent serviceable drivetrain(SLX is just fine). Get some good light wheels and light fast tires setup tubeless. Go race.

Keep the Camber if possible for trail riding and such. This will take the pressure off the race bike and those light weight wheels as far as wear and tear. You could even use the race wheels on it for the most technical races(or group rides), if need be.

The end
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Brant-C.
    Get better wheels and tires, ride more, have fun, rinse and repeat.
    I just like riding my mountain bike.

mtbr member
    I found some nice carbon wheels on pinkbike, would you guys buy used carbon wheels?
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I'm not sure how the rear suspension is set up on your camber but one way I made my norco revolver a little more race worthy was to lock out the rear (fox CTD so not really locked out) and that made it nicer when I would try to hammer to pass or stand up for the short punchy climbs that you didn't need to pace yourself much for.

If you've only raced once, I would race more first so you can figure out what you want more from a bike.

mtbr member
    Go with the Epic Comp
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Go with the Epic Comp
    In the spring i want to ride one,i also want to check out a giant anthem.
    2017 Surly Ogre

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    Both sweet bikes. Many threads on "anthem v epic".

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sml-2727 View Post
    The Comp is fairly light and pedals efficiently. At your price point, you will get stock components and may want to upgrade some of them later on.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.