Full finger glove recommendation?- Mtbr.com

Jan 2005

Full finger glove recommendation?

My hand is aches between the thumb and the index finger. I assume I need more padding there but noticed most full finger gloves now have very little padding. Any recommendations for full finger gloves with some amount of padding where my hands grip the bars?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    specialized makes great gloves, but the ache might be just from gripping the bars too hard, or riding the brake on the D/H

Team Cspine

Dakine...

Quote Originally Posted by KATA
    My hand is aches between the thumb and the index finger. I assume I need more padding there but noticed most full finger gloves now have very little padding. Any recommendations for full finger gloves with some amount of padding where my hands grip the bars?
    ...Ventilators work ok for me. I haven't had pain in that particular spot but I always wear full length gloves and those work pretty well.

They do have gel padding in the heel to. Maybe if you had better palm padding it would keep you from having that pain? Just a guess. With good padding in the heel, it seems to take away most of the pain and numbness throughout my hands.

Good luck!
    Sorry what?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Here are some ideas that might help with hand fatigue:

-Don't brake on really rough sections, try your best to look for smoother braking points piror to really rough patches so that you can brake hard there and then roll through the rough sections.

-find the balance point on the pedals where you can go downhill with extremely light hand pressure letting the bike move up/down under your hands.

-Play around with the reach and the engagement point of your brakes (Juicy 7s are one of the only hydro discs that allow you to play with engagement point however). These two components have a lot of bearing on the fatigue generated in your hand and forearms.

-Experiment with different grips. Oury grips are known for being thicker and more padded. However some people get more hand fatigue from larger grips and do better with thinner ones.

mtbr member
    I had some awful hand pain early this season.

A friend noticed that my brake levers were angled to far down. Moved them to the natural position, in the same plane as my forearms when seated, and the pain went away.

Also went to a thicker Serfas brand grips. Those Lizard Skin bolt-on grips don't have any sponginess to them at all.

Pearl Izumi Gel-Lites have been my favorite padded glove, but pretty expensive.

Jan 2006

thanks,

I tend to stand when riding that may explain pressure on the hands. I suspect two things in addition to the suggestions above: I'm using wider flat bars which moves pressure on the palms towards the inner side, and I am now using Ritchey foam grips which is thinner than I normally use.

On your left.
    Jan 2004

Fox Incline and bar tape

I've used many different full finger gloves over the years and I think the basic Fox Incline is best. They actually have very little padding, but fit really well, so don't bunch up and they are durable. My next pair however will be Mechanix or similar - they make some very nice shop gloves that especially fit larger hands and are 1/2 the price of MTB stuff. BTW, personally I can't stand the Specialized glove pad - too thick and squirmy.

I use cork bar tape instead of grips. Start the wrap at the brake lever clamp and wrap outwards adjusting the pitch of the wrap to control diameter and padding. Cut off the end leaving about 1-2" of tape to tuck into the bar and hammer in an expanding bar end cap.

M

Race Face DH gripper

My favorite glove ever is the Race Face DH Gripper. Don't worry about the DH terminology, they actually have almost zero padding on the palm and are perfect for all day trail riding. Do some hunting online, I think that you can pick them on on closeout at cambria. They have a rubberized palm that is almost sticky on your grips. Obviously this my my opinion, but the DH gripper is the best fitting glove I have ever found for my hands.
    I had trouble with hand pain two summers ago and my solution ended up that my saddle was too far back, I had too much of my weight on my hands and not enough on my saddle. I moved my saddle forward just a touch, and bingo...no more hand pain.

good luck.

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Porchsong
    I had trouble with hand pain two summers ago and my solution ended up that my saddle was too far back, I had too much of my weight on my hands and not enough on my saddle. I moved my saddle forward just a touch, and bingo...no more hand pain.
    Porch
    That's odd. Usually moving your saddle forward will put more weight on your hands. I guess if it was too far back and you had a tendency to sit on the nose . . .

CW

XCdude

I like to use the ones made by THOR, they are

actually motorcross gloves, but they make enough styles that you will find a pair that will work for you another plus is the price around 20.00
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic
    La leyenda del Dorado

mtbr member

Another for Fox Incline

The Inclines are relatively cheap $16-$19, last forever and have just the right amount of padding which on the lite side. I tried the Raji gloves and those were a waste of money. They are expensive $25-29 and didn't last more than a few rides.

I pair the Inclines up with Scott foam grips. I like foams grips, but don't like Titec foam grips. I mean who has square palms?
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poncharelli
    Pearl Izumi Gel-Lites have been my favorite padded glove, but pretty expensive.
    These?

https://pricepoint.com/detail/14745-...ger-Gloves.htm

I've got some half finger Pittards from Pearl that work well, but I'm in need of full finger as PHX's heat causes my digits to sweat and lose grip on the brake lever.

I was also looking at the Specialized BG gloves with the ulnar pad.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodiuh
    These?

I've got some half finger Pittards from Pearl that work well, but I'm in need of full finger as PHX's heat causes my digits to sweat and lose grip on the brake lever.

I was also looking at the Specialized BG gloves with the ulnar pad.
    Those look like the new generation glove. I've used the black and blue colored ones from a few years ago. Those worked well with those hard lizard skin grips. I'm a little weird in that I don't sweat much, so no slipping issues from sweat for me.

Now that I have the serfas grip, and a carbon bar (relieves some shock), I'm fine with a thinner glove. My bro bought me some Bell brand gloves from Walmart, and no hand pain. They are hot though. When those wear out I'll probably go back to a thin glove again.

I also see a lot of people that like the AXO thin full fingered gloves (AXO "Kicker" I believe). Full fingered protection, thin padding, with lots of breathability.

Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HarrisJ
    I tend to stand when riding that may explain pressure on the hands. I suspect two things in addition to the suggestions above: I'm using wider flat bars which moves pressure on the palms towards the inner side, and I am now using Ritchey foam grips which is thinner than I normally use.

I had the same problem when I first started riding. What I did insted of getting some bulky gloves was replacing the skinny handlebar grips with these Specialized "body geometry" grips. They sold for $20 at my LBS and are perfect for spreading the contact point between your palm and grip over a larger surface area. I have big hands and it really helps having somthing thicker to grab, rather than some skinny little stock grip.

https://specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=16338

mtbr member
    Well, I borrowed and wore my first set of full fingers the other day. Loved em. No more slippery sweaty slidin' on the brake levers! And the light padding actually allowed my hands to go entirely numb free the whole ride! So I guess all that padding on the Pearl Pittards wrapping around the already ergo friendly Ergon MP1's proved too much.

The other thing I noticed was a boost in confidence when turning/handling the bike, especially in the downhills. I'm looking for the comfort factory now as the gloves I borrowed were worn and abused dirt bike gloves. Fox Inclines seem like they'd be comfy in this beautiful 95 degree @ 5am weather I have here. How's the padding?

rebmem rbtm
    i use them for almost everything, i have some skin irritation up where my fingers connect to my hand but thats from my bad grips. i used to have serfas grips that had a curve for your fingers and everything that spread the pressure throughout your whole hand. i would recomend the gloves though. like any glove they need to be washed or else they smell pretty bad. ive ripped mine once on slide out but only just a little, i sewed it back up and is still holding strong. again the gloves are verv grippy (especially the finger tips with the little bit of rubber), breathe very well and are very durable (used as workgloves a few time) although they protect you hands i dont consider them to have any "padding" just a few layers of thick leather that acts as padding.

Members who have read this thread: 0