First 100km race training- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

First 100km race training

Hi,
    So I wonder if anyone can help. I am considering doing a 100km race for the first time at the grand old age of 38. I have ridden a couple of 50km races and been ok, but feel a step up could be hard work.

So I ride about 12km 3times a week off road and get a 20k ride in on the weekends on single track at the moment. I don't need to win the race, but it want to finish it!

Has anyone got a training schedule that has worked for them?

For those that know it, it will be the forrest kona odyssey in victoria, aus, fairly tough I gather from having done the 50k race a couple of years ago. Lots of hills!

Any help greatly appreciated, a special thanks to anyone who can provide a training schedule!
    Cheers,
    Tom
    For some australian travel stories... www.tomandcath.com

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Training and race distances are of no meaning in MTBikging. 100k on gravel roads or technical single trails? The same for your training distances.

Express your training volume in time. Build up to the expected race time. I have no what your 12K training rides look like but it does not look much. Hence, do some intensity during the week and build up to race time on the week end ride. However, finishing shouldn't be problem. You may suffer but isn't this the whole point of doing this nonsense ...

mtbr member
    Some more great advice:
    Salsa Cycles

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Excellent, thanks for the help all. Time and intensity does make sense rather than distance.
    I've previously run a marathon, and all the training for that was distance and intensity based, hence my original thoughts!
    For some australian travel stories... www.tomandcath.com

mtbr member
    Tom I have not done the Forrest race but am aware of the altitude of about 300m in the 100km so you need to account for that in your training. I know a few Melbourne based guys who train around Smiths Gully and Warramate / Silvan for Forrest and seem to do pretty well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

First 100km race training

I did that race a fee years ago at aged 39 and based on a similar base as you. That was when the race started on the coast. I finished well back in the field in over 8 hours totally underestimating the amount of climbing. If I were to do it again I would focus my training with lots of climbing, and I mean lots! with rides over 4 hours as you get closer to the race.

Epic eater
    Oct 2005
    I am not much of a racer but I've been in a few races, longest mtn bike was 50 miles, longest road was 118 miles.

What I've learned is that even if the course is relatively flat training on hills *never* hurts, it makes you stronger so the flat riding seems like child's play, you feel like you could do this all day (which is good cause you very well may need to).

Also while training intensity is always good (some like the mantra of 'go hard or go home'), just churning out long miles and long hours on the bike I feel is helpful to get the confidence that you can really ride a bike for 7, 8, 9, 10+ hours (my longest event was 11 hours on the bike). Until you've spent that kind of time on the bike you may not realize that your shorts rubbing becomes annoying, or your feet start to blister, or that pedal creak starts to drive you crazy, etc. These are things that you won't necessarily find out from a hard short ride...

My ideal plan is to ride a long, long ride, but with it have some extreme efforts and then recover and keep going..then another hard effort, then recover, etc. The natural approach is to hold back some because you know you have a bazillion miles still to ride, which is sometimes good, but doing this in training lets you have the confidence that you can go hard now *and* still recover for later.

Best of luck!