mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Favorite Hyrdation pack for longer races

I'm looking for a new hydration pack for longer endurance races and was wondering what some of your favorites are. Looking for a minimalist pack to mostly carry just water - approx. 1.5 L's and one that would still allow me to access my rear pockets of my jersey. I have a larger Osprey with lots of pockets, etc but I'd like something more minimal to race with.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Camelback classic! I run a modified strap that has elastic in it across the chest. Itís only 12 oz for the whole pack. Itís 70oz but I can fit about 60.

I carry a big lezyne tool, two chain links, an extra set of Dynaplugs. Dynaplug racer, 2 C02, KMC tire levers that have the chain Pliers, and now a frame pump slid in the pack against the bladder. If I need more water, Iíll carry an empty bottle filled with my Gatorade endurance powder, which has been a game changer for cramping. That may sound like a lot, but itís very light and all fits nicely in the pack for marathon season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Camelbak Chase....

mtbr member
    Camelbak Rogue.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    These are the only packs I use anymore. I have 3 different sizes but this one's good for XC racing. Sits up high on your back for easy pocket access and DOES NOT MOVE.
    https://www.uswe-sports.com/us/packs/mtb/airborne-2
    Yeti SB100
    Ibis Ripmo
    Ibis Ripley LS V3
    Ibis Mojo HD4
    Pivot 429SL
    Pivot LES SS
    Some bikes with skinny tires

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I can see the camelbak classic being a good choice since it now has a 2.5L bladder. I just picked up one to try out.

Another option that I used last season and will use on long races on my fs is the camelbak octane xct. It holds a little more than the classic and sits lower and might be easier on your back over a long race. It has hip and strap pockets which are convenient, and I miss on the classic. Itís designed for xc and trail running and therefore lightweight as well. If I were to just have one, thatís my recommendation (camelbak octane xct).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Camelbak Classic "mini" version.

This, plus a one liter bottle on my XL bike, does the trick, and allows easy access to jersey pockets.

Note: My wife sews a simple waist strap onto it, or it's kind of bouncy. Something I notice training, but not when focussed on racing.

Note2: Those USWE packs linked in Bman's post above look really intriguing, especially their suspension system.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Beware of the pocket waste straps. The level of heat the trap is insane. Maybe itís just me, but my love handles release a lot of heat.

My wife runs the Charm. This may work for some of you smaller guys. 50 Oz and just enough room for all of your emergency race tools and supplies

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    USWE packs are amazing!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Ogio Erzburg 1L

Rides all the bikes!
    I've never used it on my MTB, but I imagine the Ultimate Direction pack I use for long distance running would be great for that purpose.

mtbr member
    +1 on Camelbak Chase, Iíve used it on 9 hour races. Sits high and allows acces to back jersey pockets. Sits high and doesnít bounce. Also front chest pockets convenient for snacks/gels. All that being said, Iím trying out Uswe Airborn this year since it also gets great reviews.
    2018 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup | ďIf youíre not first youíre lastĒ

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Thanks for all the feedback. The Camelbak chase looks like a good option - I like having the front chest pockets to keep fuel handy. I was just gettting ready to order a USWE (larger bladder plus I really hate the Camelbak twist tops on their reservoirs), but that Chase looks tempting.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    USWE ďraceĒ packs are either not available, in black only or outrageously priced. Communications with their customer service personnel in Sweden 🇸🇪 was like speaking to a kindergartner. I still may get one but not in black.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Get the USWE airborne 3, the small pack is the perfect size for racing. It allows access to all rear jersey pockets, it doesn't move around (full or empty), has a removable small pack if you need to carry anything extra (or not) and keeps the hose secured in the perfect spot (for me anyway) - very minimalist.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    New Outlander 2 somewhat reasonable priced without the weight of extra attachments. NOT IN STOCK due logistics with Chinese supplier?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MHCBH View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. The Camelbak chase looks like a good option - I like having the front chest pockets to keep fuel handy. I was just gettting ready to order a USWE (larger bladder plus I really hate the Camelbak twist tops on their reservoirs), but that Chase looks tempting.
    FWIW, I was able to fit a 2.0 liter bladder into the Camelbak Chase. I had to cut off (trim back) the plastic tabs/wings at the top of the bladder cover, but I was able to just fit it.

Agree, CamelBak's bladders suck to fiddle with, maybe see if you can find another brands bladder to fit in there.
    2018 Scott Spark RC 900 World Cup | ďIf youíre not first youíre lastĒ

mtbr member

Favorite Hyrdation pack for longer races

I use the old camelbak classic. Was the smallest i could fine and has vented straps. Looks ridiculous on me like its a toddlers pack but its exactly 2L and a small pocket for whatever.

Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    another vote for USWE. super comfortable. doesn't move.

mtbr member
    Does the USWE Airborne 2 hold anything besides water. Can't tell from their website. I know it says smartphone pocket but wondering about room for a tube, co2, phone, multitool etc

I'm guessing the 3 is the same as the 2 but the 3 has the click off storage pouch

thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by newking View Post
    Does the USWE Airborne 2 hold anything besides water. Can't tell from their website. I know it says smartphone pocket but wondering about room for a tube, co2, phone, multitool etc

I'm guessing the 3 is the same as the 2 but the 3 has the click off storage pouch

thanks
    Correct. Primary difference is the extra storage on the back. You could probably carry some additional items in the main storage area. The bladder and compartment are separated by a fabric panel. However, it might be a tight fit when the bladder is full. I'd get the 3 and just remove the additional storage when not needed.