mtbr member

E-caps Endurolytes?

Would any one with experience using ENDUROLYTES share thier opinion of thier effectiveness,especially thier ability to "Banish cramping for good".Had minor cramps on a 50 miler last week and I am going for my first 100 next month and cramping thighs are my greatest concern.Thanks Mike

The Riddler
    I have gotten a couple of their trial packets and they do seem to help. They are especially helpful on hot days. I don't really cramp but they do alleviate tightness that builds up after four hours or so.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

They Work!

I have done many 12 and 24 hour races in different weather extremes. Out of my nutrition plan for these events, Endurolytes are one of the "Must Have's" They are more than just "salt tablets" They contain much, much more nutrients to help aid against cramping. They are available in either tablet form (I use tablets) and/or powder form to mix up in a H2O bottle. If you follow the directions on the bottle you will be very happy. Plus, Hammer/E-caps backs their products 100%.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by KERKOVEJ
    I have done many 12 and 24 hour races in different weather extremes. Out of my nutrition plan for these events, Endurolytes are one of the "Must Have's" They are more than just "salt tablets" They contain much, much more nutrients to help aid against cramping. They are available in either tablet form (I use tablets) and/or powder form to mix up in a H2O bottle. If you follow the directions on the bottle you will be very happy. Plus, Hammer/E-caps backs their products 100%.

I've suffered from muscle cramps for over 10 years. This year I finally decided to try to figure it out and get to the bottom of it.

I've been 'testing' the E-caps for several months now. Trying to simulate a race situation in hot weather. I weigh 135lbs and take 2 tablets before the ride and take 1 per hour. If I start to feel a twinge in the leg like a cramp coming on, I then take 2 tablets for that hour.

So far the only time I cramped was at hour 4 of a hot road ride, and I had run of of Ecaps at hour 3. Other than that I haven't cramped on rides lasting up to 4 hours. Hard, race type efforts.

The final test will be a race in August. but so far I am happy with them. They are expensive. However, do search and I think someone suggested a generic brand from a health food store that was virtually identical to the Ecaps. But then again, I really like the people at Hammer, they are good company.

They have a new energy drink called HEED. it is supposed to be a drink version of the electrolye capsules.

Bottom line, try it out for yourself. just not for the first time in a race!

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by RockyMtnHigh
    Would any one with experience using ENDUROLYTES share thier opinion of thier effectiveness,especially thier ability to "Banish cramping for good".Had minor cramps on a 50 miler last week and I am going for my first 100 next month and cramping thighs are my greatest concern.Thanks Mike
    Agree with the others. They work well. I've never had much of a cramping problem but I've given them to others with cramping and it always seems to help. There is a lower cost alternative though. Essential Electrolytes from NutriBiotic has pretty much the same ingredients. They have them at my local Whole Foods grocery for $6.

http://www.nutribiotic.com/Electrolytes.htm
    Long Live Long Rides

On your left.
    Jan 2004

electrolytes good

I'm convinced electrolytes are absolutely essential for racing. The Endurolytes are a great way to get electrolytes because they provide a range (not just "salt") of minerals. Common usage is to take the pills (or open and pour into energy drink bottles) until you get a metalic taste in the back of your throat. Training is more effective at preventing cramps - especially long hill repeats (~5min climbs), but that only works for racing set distances. i.e. if you only race 25mi, then training will be better, but if you are constantly moving up in race distance your training won't be able get ahead.

Another pill which helps reduce cramps is naproxen sodium (i.e. Aleeve). When I take 440mg of that my legs feel much better during and after a race.

I have also used the Crank Sports products which are basically a Hammergel with an Endurolyte mixed in (that is what a partial owner told me a a triathlon). Apparantly Hammer products have a similar product but I have not seen it. Another good supplement is Enervitene - it works great for long, lower effort races, like road rides or epics.

It surprises me electolyte products have penetrated the market so little since the invention of gatorade. Most of the new sports drinks (including versions of gatorade) are worse than water.

Last edited by Motivated; 07-13-2004 at 11:46 AM. Reason: replace Ecaps with Endurolytes
    M

mtbr member

up to 70 capsules?

Quote Originally Posted by Motivated
    I'm convinced electrolytes are absolutely essential for racing. The Endurolytes are a great way to get electrolytes because they provide a range (not just "salt") of minerals. Common usage is to take the pills (or open and pour into energy drink bottles) until you get a metalic taste in the back of your throat. Training is more effective at preventing cramps - especially long hill repeats (~5min climbs), but that only works for racing set distances. i.e. if you only race 25mi, then training will be better, but if you are constantly moving up in race distance your training won't be able get ahead.

Another pill which helps reduce cramps is naproxen sodium (i.e. Aleeve). When I take 440mg of that my legs feel much better during and after a race.

I have also used the Crank Sports products which are basically a Hammergel with an Endurolyte mixed in (that is what a partial owner told me a a triathlon). Apparantly Hammer products have a similar product but I have not seen it. Another good supplement is Enervitene - it works great for long, lower effort races, like road rides or epics.

It surprises me electolyte products have penetrated the market so little since the invention of gatorade. Most of the new sports drinks (including versions of gatorade) are worse than water.
    According to the instructions I would use up to 70 capsules for a 10-11 hour race dont this seem like one heck of a lot of caps?Thanks homebrew for the tip on the generic version Im going to use them for a couple weeks.RIDE ON

On your left.
    Jan 2004

dosage very individual

I recommend getting some (either the endurolytes or equivalent at Whole Foods) and trying them out. Generally not a good idea to try anything new in a race, but these are pretty benign and can't hurt. Like I said to determine your dosage take them until you get a metalic taste in your mouth. I take 1 pill before the race, then prepare 3 water bottles as follows: on bike = 1 bottle water, 1 bottle w/ 1 scoop cytomax + 1 scoop endurox + 2 endurolytes; recovery = 1 scoop cytomax + 2 scoops endurox + 2 endurolytes. I also use a few gels during a race and try to get ones with lots of electrolytes. My races are 2 - 2.5 hours. I did just do a 50mi race and would say the electrolyte requirements per hour are less because the effort is less.

According to the instructions I would use up to 70 capsules for a 10-11 hour race dont this seem like one heck of a lot of caps?Thanks homebrew for the tip on the generic version Im going to use them for a couple weeks.RIDE ON
    M