Drivetrain upgrade Shimano vs. sram- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2009

Drivetrain upgrade Shimano vs. sram

hello all, got into XC racing a few months back and i've got the bug. So, here is what I am thinking. I have a specialized stumpy and would like to ditch the truactiv stylo and get an XT crankset with either XT front and rear derailers OR sram x.0 and x9 sram front and rear derailers? Would I have to switch to sram shifters in this process, right or wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    shimano shifters don't work with sram stuff. sram makes special grip shifters to work with shimano RD. FD's work mix and match.

Dirty South Underdog
    Unless you're a weight weenie (nothing wrong with that, btw), I'd recommend the X9 rear DR over the X0 one. It's much cheaper and performs just as well for a few extra grams.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Sram!!!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Thanks everyone. I think I might dish out the extra pennies for the sram upgrades.

Waiting for Godot
    sram XO with the twist shifters. best reliability and weight savings.
    Out riding, leave a message

mutaullyassuredsuffering

Shimano

After trying many brands, I will only buy Shimano cranks, cassettes, and front ders. As far as the shifters and rear der, I think it's a toss-up.
    Free will is an illusion, people will always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    sram sram sram sram sram.....the shifter especially are money.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by used2Bhard
    After trying many brands, I will only buy Shimano cranks, cassettes, and front ders. As far as the shifters and rear der, I think it's a toss-up.
    i felt similarly... however in the last year i have really liked my Specialized cranks/rings and the Noir (Truvative) cranks that we got are also great.

i think the XX stuff probably improves on the old stuff from SRAM.

XTR is no longer king.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    i felt similarly... however in the last year i have really liked my Specialized cranks/rings and the Noir (Truvative) cranks that we got are also great.

i think the XX stuff probably improves on the old stuff from SRAM.

XTR is no longer king.
    You know the XTR chain rings are really good. The ones I have on my bike are on their second season, a year of Catharine racing and training on them and a year of myself riding on them. I have never had chain rings that have even come close to that sort of life span.

When Catharine was on Sram stuff she use to go through 2 to 3 big rings a season. I was amazed on how fast they wore out. Maybe the new stuff is better but two years ago the Truvative chain rings were terrible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN
    You know the XTR chain rings are really good. The ones I have on my bike are on their second season, a year of Catharine racing and training on them and a year of myself riding on them. I have never had chain rings that have even come close to that sort of life span.

When Catharine was on Sram stuff she use to go through 2 to 3 big rings a season. I was amazed on how fast they wore out. Maybe the new stuff is better but two years ago the Truvative chain rings were terrible.

i don't know how i managed it, but riding at Vail lake one day i bent my XTR middle ring.

they must be much better than anyone really understands, because replacing that middle ring cost me almost as much as most people pay for cranks!!!!!!!!

i trash big rings lots... but that is because i am stupid and pick whacky challenging lines that nobody else in their right mind would ride.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by whybotherme
    i don't know how i managed it, but riding at Vail lake one day i bent my XTR middle ring.

they must be much better than anyone really understands, because replacing that middle ring cost me almost as much as most people pay for cranks!!!!!!!!
    Yeah they are a wee bit pricy. I remember on the old XTR cranks finally wearing out my big ring, rather than buy a new one I just bought a brand new set of XT cranks, it was cheaper.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Too High
    hello all, got into XC racing a few months back and i've got the bug. So, here is what I am thinking. I have a specialized stumpy and would like to ditch the truactiv stylo and get an XT crankset with either XT front and rear derailers OR sram x.0 and x9 sram front and rear derailers? Would I have to switch to sram shifters in this process, right or wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated
    SRAM is not as smooth as Shimano but if you are clueless about how bikes work they are better becuase they stay in their adjustment window longer.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    The only thing I can "contribute" to this discussion is this: stay away from SRAM's cassettes. I've seen and unfortunately also had a few ones that literally distorted after only a few weeks.
    Having said that - SRAM's chains with their "powerlink" patent are superb. the 971 is not that expensive and can last over 2500km easily if you take good care of it.

When it comes to crank sets I would go with Shimano; can't understand why you need to get an XT crankset with todays SLX which is excellent.
    Specialized - SJ Marathon 29" (2010) ||| KHS - Solo One 29" (2007) ||| KHS - Alite 3000 (2000) ||| Kona Kula Supreme (2008)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet
    SRAM is not as smooth as Shimano but if you are clueless about how bikes work they are better becuase they stay in their adjustment window longer.
    True words of wisdom, although those of us that are lazy also benefit from the SRAM actuation ratios

"They Call Me Bone'z"
    i just got an X9 set to try out and the rear dérailleur are nicer then shimanos design i think. h had the endpoint screws wear the body of a shimano away making it intensely difficult to set for me.
    so far i have been very happy with my stylo cranks. the rings are rather tough, i smacked them on a rock i was going over and the teeth didn't take more then a little scratch.
    raceface cranks are also very nice.
    RAH!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    This is of course the never ending debate with no correct answer, but I do have a clear personal preference on shifters and a RD--the sharp and true feeling of SRAM wins hands down for me over the "smoother" but softing feeler of the Shimano. I clearly prefer it over the Shimano shifters and RD.

I've never had anything but Shimano FDs and Shimano cranks and they have worked great for me other than a set of XT chainrings that wore out in a year. The XTR on my current bike seems to be holding up well. So no complaint from me there.

Members who have read this thread: 0