CX mounting and dismounting techniques- Mtbr.com

May 2004

CX mounting and dismounting techniques

I tend to lose a lot of time when dismounting and mounting if I come to an obstacle on the trail that I can't ride. I'd like to practice doing this faster, I have seen it done, but could use some help on tips and techniques that might lessen my learning curve. Anyone??

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

I'm a bad cross racer.

Quote Originally Posted by porterjack
    I tend to lose a lot of time when dismounting and mounting if I come to an obstacle on the trail that I can't ride. I'd like to practice doing this faster, I have seen it done, but could use some help on tips and techniques that might lessen my learning curve. Anyone??
    So I've been reading and trying to figure it out.

Check this video, buried in the text for a good example.
    http://www.monkeyhillcs.com/mac/mac2003/practice.html

The important things I've learned is to not focus too much on dismounting at the last possible moment, nevermind the opportunity for disaster, but I tend to come more to a stop than if I make my dismount earlier. Then on the other side of the barriers don't be in too much hurry to get back on the bike. I'm faster if I go ahead and run out for an extra couple yards - again it's the tendency to stop and hop on rather than maintain momentum.

You'll notice some guys reaching forward with the right leg between the left leg and frame - this is faster if facing a barrier on a flat fast section. There is of course the disaster factor if the left foot doesn't unclip. On an uphill or sloppy section the safer and slightly slower right foot behind position won't hurt a thing.

For me the main thing is maintaining momentum rather than stopping and hopping on.

Oh, practicing more than I do would help.

Ron

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RonSonic

Oh, practicing more than I do would help.

Ron
    Ron covered it and practice is the thing. i do a lot of cyclocross and one good way to practice is to mount and dismount and dismount, all the way across a field. Very slow speed. When you have that nailed, start some little barriers. Timing is the thing, learning to coast up toward the barrier with one leg already off the bike, etc. Trying to go in too hot is not helpful.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    The video on that link does a pretty good job of showing how you mount/dismount. Just wanted to add that when you remount by hopping on, that your inner thigh contacts the saddle first before you slide into your normal riding position. Otherwise it might be quite painful.

Just practice like the others have said. Each time you mount on a bike, instead of just steping over, push it a couple feet to pick up a little speed and hop on. Before you know it, it'll be second nature.

Members who have read this thread: 0