mtbr member
    Apr 2004

cure for tight hamstring?

Hello Everybody,
    About two weeks ago I started to feel a tightness in my left hamstring during the downstroke of my pedaling. This started to happen after I had rode pretty hard and long for a couple of days straight, so I chalked the injury up to overuse. I took almost two weeks off, stretching religiously every day but when I got back on the bike, the tightness surfaced again, albeit not as bad. The tightness appears half-way through my normal ride, after I climb a few hard hills. I only really feel it when I'm pedaling fairly hard, i.e. not just cruising along. Anyone have experience with this kind of injury? Anyone know how long I'm looking at being out of commission? I'm planning on taking another couple of weeks off and icing my leg and using a compression wrap. I'm starting to panic, however, because it's getting sunny outside where I live (Oakland, CA) and I really am dying to ride.............Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BLS439
    Quote Originally Posted by ricodls
    Hello Everybody,
    About two weeks ago I started to feel a tightness in my left hamstring during the downstroke of my pedaling. This started to happen after I had rode pretty hard and long for a couple of days straight, so I chalked the injury up to overuse. I took almost two weeks off, stretching religiously every day but when I got back on the bike, the tightness surfaced again, albeit not as bad. The tightness appears half-way through my normal ride, after I climb a few hard hills. I only really feel it when I'm pedaling fairly hard, i.e. not just cruising along. Anyone have experience with this kind of injury? Anyone know how long I'm looking at being out of commission? I'm planning on taking another couple of weeks off and icing my leg and using a compression wrap. I'm starting to panic, however, because it's getting sunny outside where I live (Oakland, CA) and I really am dying to ride.............Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    I am not sure if this stuff will help you, but it has helped me in the past.

I have to stretch everyday, twice a day - once in the morning and once in the evening. I have to stretch really well before I ride or else my hamstrings and lower back get tight.

After a few weeks of solid stretching focussing on my lower back, quads, hamstrings, calves, etc (lower body) the tightness went away. I also started taking some vitamins and minerals around the same time. I added glucosamine/chondroitin, calcium, a multi vitamin, and protien drinks to my diet. The most important thing for me was not to stop riding but to ride differently. I rode many more roadie miles than mtb miles, the riding pace is different more constant than choppy.

My suggestion is if you can't get the pain to go away in a few days, see a doctor. I didn't when my achillies tendon started to feel tight and hurt after rides. Then it went during a race in a collision and now I am on crutches for a while until it heals.

--BLS439

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Time, tides and cycling injuries wait for no man........

I have found that stretching is very important to help recover from the aches and aggravations we impose upon our legs. One of the things that surprises me is when I see people stretch with absolutely no warm up. Stretching is good but the muscles must be warmed up. I'll spin on a trainer for 20 minutes and then stretch..........or start a ride at a slow to moderate pace, stop after about ten minutes and do some stretching. After a ride stretch while the muscles are still warm.

Review your position on the bike and your cleat positions.

Here are links to a couple of articles I found informative:

http://www.apodc.com.au/AJPM/Content...%20118-124.pdf

http://www.physsportsmed.com/cover.htm

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

position

good point, did you change your saddle height or cleat alignment recently?

I've heard of a few folks with chronic problems due to pedal cleat alignment, and I experienced hamstring pain after raising my saddle too high (how else do you find out?)

GC Cycling Club Founder

word to the researcher

great link to the pedal biomechanics page.
    summary sez- float pedals don't waste energy vs. straps or other clip-in designs and reduce knee injury
    ALL THE DANGEROUS OVERTAKERS
    END UP SAFE AT UNDERTAKERS

IF FROM SPEED YOU GET YOUR THRILL
    TAKE PRECAUTION- MAKE YOUR WILL

Members who have read this thread: 0