Covoid 19 race cancellations?- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 56 of 56
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,077

    Covid 19 race cancellations?

    Here in Washington state, just yesterday our Governor banned public gatherings of more than 250 people, gatherings/events of smaller numbers are ok but have some recommendations.
    Both the local race series (one most of the way through, and one just about to start) have announced they will continue. The numbers are under 250, and much less for each of the category starts and podiums. I suppose this may result in cancellations for running or larger cycling events, but for now mtb will continue in my area.
    I'm just wondering if anything similar is happening in other areas, I wouldn't be surprised if other Governors etc will do similar bans on larger gatherings.
    Last edited by jimPacNW; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:25 AM.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,370
    Our races are on in the upcoming weekends.

    I am worried about our upcoming travel races however:
    Belgium Waffle Ride - California
    Pedalers Pass Marathon - Arkansas


  3. #3
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,510
    Sea Otter postponed to October.

    First ProXCT race is scheduled for this weekend, all signs say it is still going on. But all guidelines are saying it shouldn't. Also POURING rain right now (flash flood conditions)...

    I imagine BWR will be canceled.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,077
    - our race for Sunday just got postponed for a couple of weeks.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    27
    Ouachita Challenge in Arkansas is cancelled. 470 people were signed up as of today.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    205
    Pro XCT at Vail is apparently still on like Sidewalk says, but I don't see how they can hold it in defiance of the Riverside County order against events of more than 250 people. I was going to enter today, but holding off now expecting it to be cancelled.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    993
    By order of the governor, New Mexico Dept of Health has issued the order that there will be no gatherings of more than 100 people in any one place for any reason. I believe that order stands until further notice. So the first races of the season could be effected by this limitation of gatherings. No official announcement from race organizers yet, but I suspect they will postpone events until conditions are more appropriate.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kevbikemad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,063
    Cancelling is the right thing to do. At least we can still go ride our bikes. Probably best to not do it as group rides.

  9. #9
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,510
    Quote Originally Posted by craign View Post
    Pro XCT at Vail is apparently still on like Sidewalk says, but I don't see how they can hold it in defiance of the Riverside County order against events of more than 250 people. I was going to enter today, but holding off now expecting it to be cancelled.
    I don't understand how, or why, they are continuing on. STXC I believe is scheduled for today...

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    943
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I don't understand how, or why, they are continuing on. STXC I believe is scheduled for today...
    I don't know. I was planning to go and had already registered, but once I saw the Riverside County order, I decided against going down.

    I expect Bonelli to have the same fate given that LA said no events larger than 50.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,471
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbikemad View Post
    Cancelling is the right thing to do. At least we can still go ride our bikes. Probably best to not do it as group rides.
    Agreed. It's a collective effort. The cavalier types are acting like ball-chewers rightaboutnow.
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    205
    BWR sent a proactive message today about when they will decide and the alternate date if they need to reschedule. Props to the organisers.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation: darth tracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    619
    Moab Rocks stage race cancelled today
    Our local Wed Night Series cancelled first 4 rounds.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    527
    Apologies for nitpicking, but can the mod please change the title to Covid...

    On topic and in Europe - it is all cancelled. In honesty, I can't see anything active until Jul-Aug...

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smartyiak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    663
    Around here (DE, MD, VA, SE PA.), everything is being cancelled. The local running club just cancelled all races through May. And more cancellations happen everyday.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    971
    Colorado road season for March is definitely all canceled, all collegiate events through May have been canceled. Races in April & May haven't made the decision yet. Counties in Colorado are coming down on organized group rides, too, but most people are still doing them rogue, because, well, they can't force you to stay inside (and I agree, if 200 people can be fighting over TP, 10 of us can be riding bikes together).

    MTB season doesn't really start in Colorado/Wyoming until very late April, and ramps up from there so not a lot of action on the MTB side.

    I've stopped pre-registering for any races, including ones in July and beyond because I don't want to lose anymore money than I'm already faced by being pre-registered for gravel events in May and June.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    169
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Peepers View Post
    Ouachita Challenge in Arkansas is cancelled. 470 people were signed up as of today.
    Several of us still plan to the ride course the day the race was supposed to be, fyi.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #18
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,510
    Annoyingly, my GF has a 24 hour ultra run schedule for three weeks from now, I haven't heard any word about cancellation or postponement yet. It's certainly not going to happen, but I wish they would say that.

    I'm going to defer my Sea Otter until 2020. The circuit race is canceled due to the track being resurfaced. I was more interested in that than the enduro race I signed up for just because I am going to be there already. Or maybe, I should just refund...



    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    I don't know. I was planning to go and had already registered, but once I saw the Riverside County order, I decided against going down.

    I expect Bonelli to have the same fate given that LA said no events larger than 50.
    I am semi disappointed that they were not more proactive, shutting it down earlier. All those people who traveled in, raced the STXC, then the XCO was cancelled. So they still had people traveling into and out of various locations, and then being gathered together, potentially spreading it around. On top of the challenge and expense of traveling.

    I am hoping it wasn't any of the people I like who were responsible for that decision

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Darth Lefty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    1,360
    Prairie City (weds night races east of Sacramento) are postponed

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,069
    In the UK it's strange as last week large events were allowed to be held. Locally there was the Cheltenham Gold Cup horse racing all week with 69,000 people attending, Bath half marathon with 6,500 people running there etc. Plenty of opportunities for virus spreading! There was cycle road racing last week too and then this week there's been a rapid about turn.

    https://www.cyclinguk.org/news/what-...TAnnBL-5KFgHvs

    As at 17 March 2020 all the races are cancelled or postponed but more than that it's now at the stage where all the cycling group rides and club events are cancelled too. The cycling clubs I'm associated with have been sending out messages today cancelling their club rides until further notice.

    At the moment in the UK you are still allowed to actually go and ride outdoors by yourself but the important bit is not to fall off. The implication is that very soon the NHS will be overloaded with Coronavirus cases so you would be taking up a bed needed for a critically ill patient if you do hurt yourself riding.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...m-hospitalised

    It's not as bad here yet as in France, Spain and Italy, where people are confined to their homes with police checks, but it's clear that step is likely coming soon too.

    In Spain there's a 1,500 euro fine if you're caught out cycling or running for recreation now! One of my friend's is still trying to get back from Malaga in Spain after his cycling holiday was rapidly halted. There's great difficulty getting flights out so he's been stuck at the airport there for ages.

  21. #21
    more skier than biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,305
    Reporting in from Denmark; all events canceled here for at least the next month out. So far these have been a few early season non-license MTB marathons, but the first Danish UCI XCO event is a little more than 1 month from now....and while still not officially cancelled, there is not a single racer/rider here that thinks it will go on (most likely it will be postponed).

    I have the TransAlp 7-day stage race scheduled for July...that is what I have been and am training for. It starts in Austria, but spends 6 out of 7 days in Northern Italy. July seems so far off; but honestly I don't have high hopes for things improving much especially there. We'll see. I'm expecting it will be canceled or

    Keeping the motivation up to train/train will become an issue; you really gotta enjoy the process. Luckily I do, and at the least, it is a bit of a sanity-check to get out and get your mind off of things for a bit.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    508
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Our races are on in the upcoming weekends.

    I am worried about our upcoming travel races however:
    Belgium Waffle Ride - California
    Pedalers Pass Marathon - Arkansas


    Peddlers Bash likely cancelled, USAC just pulled permits through beginning of May.
    -DC, just some XC Bum from FL in NW Arkansas

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craign's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    205
    BWR postponed to 6-8th November.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    In Spain there's a 1,500 euro fine if you're caught out cycling or running for recreation now!
    In my opinion, this is incredibly bad policy. If the goal was to reduce non-illness related hospitalizations, then ban f*cking cars. Instead, everybody is now confined inside, getting sick because they're stressed and unhealthy, etc. Seems more like knee-jerk political theatre with well meaning (or not) people making gut decisions that _seem_ like they'd help, but ultimately will hurt.

  25. #25
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    32,884
    Whiskey Off Road canceled effectively, canceled for April, talk of postponing till Fall, but with all the plans made, I don't see myself doing it then. Will probably still go out to AZ and ride during when it was supposed to happen.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  26. #26
    Elitest thrill junkie
    Reputation: Jayem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    32,884
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeranzin View Post
    In my opinion, this is incredibly bad policy. If the goal was to reduce non-illness related hospitalizations, then ban f*cking cars. Instead, everybody is now confined inside, getting sick because they're stressed and unhealthy, etc. Seems more like knee-jerk political theatre with well meaning (or not) people making gut decisions that _seem_ like they'd help, but ultimately will hurt.
    Yup, they say it's to relieve the stress on hospitals and health care...but that's literally the opposite reason that I ride, which is to stay healthy and have a healthy lifestyle...wtf.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

    You're turning black metallic.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    527
    It is not there to prevent transport (you can use it as transport mean for essentials) but to ensure folks stay in - period.

    Walking is also banned.

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeranzin View Post
    In my opinion, this is incredibly bad policy. If the goal was to reduce non-illness related hospitalizations, then ban f*cking cars. Instead, everybody is now confined inside, getting sick because they're stressed and unhealthy, etc. Seems more like knee-jerk political theatre with well meaning (or not) people making gut decisions that _seem_ like they'd help, but ultimately will hurt.
    These stay at home policies are only going to be sustainable for a very short period of time. It might slow the spread of the coronavirus but it also means cutting a country's economy off at the knees.

    The modelling for the UK predicts a peak of cases in mid to late April / May time. Round here there are Coronavirus cases that I know of appearing in all the cities and increasingly the local towns too: Bristol, Gloucester, Cheltenham, Tetbury, Stroud etc so it's getting closer all the time. At the same time lots of people are carrying on as normal. One of my friend's wife wanted to work from home, as she's in a high risk group, but after a few days away she's been ordered by her boss to go back into the office regardless so she's had to comply. It was either that, use some holiday or be out of a job. There's plenty more like that too so not as much social distancing as is perhaps needed. It's going to be chaos in a few weeks time it looks like.

    In the UK 19 March 2020 it looks like London is going to be locked down too, possibly tomorrow or by the weekend. What that means is it will likely be the same as happened in Madrid, Spain and Lombardy, Italy, where everyone who can do will be leaving London before the lock down takes effect, taking the coronavirus to new regions with them!

    My friend and his wife managed to get a flight back to the UK from Malaga fortunately. They're now self isolating at home for 14 days, which is bad enough, but his daughter and her partner live with them, and she's pregnant so supposed to self isolate for the next three months!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    1,370
    Quote Originally Posted by craign View Post
    BWR postponed to 6-8th November.
    Working from home has already started my race weight cutting. This gives me another few months to prepare for 12K feet of climbing.

    And another few months to fix my hardtail I just cracked.

    Not to mention, our race tires are all in Quarantine/customs right now and have been for weeks.

  30. #30
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smartyiak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    663
    With EVERYTHING being cancelled, oddly, there's a 1/2marathon in Savannah, Georgia. I cannot believe they'd still have it, but as recently as 17hrs ago, the website listed it as a go.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,077
    Quote Originally Posted by Goran_injo View Post
    Apologies for nitpicking, but can the mod please change the title to Covid...

    On topic and in Europe - it is all cancelled. In honesty, I can't see anything active until Jul-Aug...
    it's stuck that way forever, -sorry!
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    With EVERYTHING being cancelled, oddly, there's a 1/2marathon in Savannah, Georgia. I cannot believe they'd still have it, but as recently as 17hrs ago, the website listed it as a go.
    It was the Cheltenham Gold Cup horse racing held last week in Cheltenham. At the time it seemed a very questionable decision to hold it at all. One week later there are already headlines like this with racegoers who went falling ill:

    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...heyve-21713032

    The bad part is that plenty of people that I know well, and their friends, all went to the Gold Cup. I haven't seen them since then but it's not looking good.

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    508
    Canada just announced they're not sending any athletes to the Olympics.
    -DC, just some XC Bum from FL in NW Arkansas

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,069
    The Olympics is sure to be cancelled or postponed I'd say. The IOC are most likely trying to hold on until Japan declares the cancellation, rather than doing it themselves, so that they don't violate any contracts or insurance terms in place.

    When you look at all the lockdowns, and the way that different countries are at different stages of the outbreak, it's going to have to be postponed until 2021 probably. Apart from the health issues of getting all the competitors together in one place many athletes, particularly those in team or full contact sports, won't have been able to train or prepare for months so would be unready for it.

    I was reading about the UK judo team, which is a full contact sport, and how they're unable to do any judo training together due to the coronavirus restrictions and their normal training centre having been closed. Cycling is a lot better placed than many sports in that regard as at least there's turbo training, zwift etc.

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation: smartyiak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    It was the Cheltenham Gold Cup horse racing held last week in Cheltenham. At the time it seemed a very questionable decision to hold it at all. One week later there are already headlines like this with racegoers who went falling ill:

    https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...heyve-21713032

    The bad part is that plenty of people that I know well, and their friends, all went to the Gold Cup. I haven't seen them since then but it's not looking good.
    They did end up cancelling...but it appeared more that the gov. ORDERED them to shut it down than any altruistic approach. At least the right thing eventually happened.

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,069
    The Tokyo Olympics have been postponed, probably until 2021 now:

    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/tokyo-...postponed.html

    It was fairly inevitable when countries were already withdrawing.

  37. #37
    Rides all the bikes!
    Reputation: Sidewalk's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Posts
    3,510
    My GF's race finally got postponed, only three weeks in advance of it occurring. Like, we all KNEW it wouldn't go on. But having to wait for what feels like the last minute to cancel a 24 hour RUNNING race was frustrating.

    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    Canada just announced they're not sending any athletes to the Olympics.
    I guess that the push the Olympic committee needed. Olympics are postponed.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    They did end up cancelling...but it appeared more that the gov. ORDERED them to shut it down than any altruistic approach. At least the right thing eventually happened.
    With hindsight I'm sure that cancelling all these sports events will be seen as having been the right thing to do. If anything it should have been done earlier because the UK, and very likely the US, is shaping up for big problems in a few weeks time. They're already running out of ventilators in London and the epidemic hasn't even fully got started yet.

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...grim-decisions

    The thing with all these gatherings is that the knock on effects from attending aren't felt until much later, after the 1 to 14 day coronavirus incubation period, where the coronavirus can be infectious but the person who has it shows no symptoms:

    https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...ronavirus/#h14

    It's the actions people are taking now that are likely to make the peak so much worse. In the UK for example this was the car parking at Mount Snowdon, Wales at the weekend! Apparently it was one of the busiest weekends there ever!

    Covoid 19 race cancellations?-snowdon_22-02-2020.jpg

    Rather than social distancing everyone ended up walking side by side on the same crowded trails, potentially spreading coronavirus even further:

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51994504

    Here in the UK 23 March 2020 the government has just announced a general lockdown as in Italy, France and Spain. Apparently we're still allowed out to exercise once per day solo or with family, which seems to include going for a bike ride once per day.

    One of the most damaging things about social distancing is not being able to go and see your friends or chill out chatting like normal. It really adds to the stress of this whole situation on top of everything else. Without club rides, events etc there are quite a few friends I'm resigned to not seeing at all for quite some time.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,471
    Yup, all races and events are done for now. Back to base or continue with periodization?
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

  40. #40
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    15,552
    2020 Mercedes-Benz UCI Mountain Bike World Cup: Nove Mesto na Morave (Czech Republic) postponed, Fort William (Great Britain) cancelled

    https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press...ain)-cancelled
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  41. #41
    LMN
    LMN is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    5,854
    I suspect it is going to be a while before we are racing.

    Considering all the things in world this really minor, but I have absolutely killer form right now. Like tear the cranks of the bike kind of form. Kinda of bummer to have use it Zwift.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    97
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I suspect it is going to be a while before we are racing.

    Considering all the things in world this really minor, but I have absolutely killer form right now. Like tear the cranks of the bike kind of form. Kinda of bummer to have use it Zwift.
    Haha, I find myself in the exact same boat. The trick will be somehow finding this form again in the Fall when it's an XC/CX bonanza.

  43. #43
    chasing simplicity
    Reputation: MattMay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    1,161
    Y’all catch Kate Courtney’s view on Tokyo Olympics decision and resulting personal impact?

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ng-11585047601
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    Yup, all races and events are done for now. Back to base or continue with periodization?
    I'd have thought now would be a good time to do some fasted riding to make your food stocks last longer.

    I'm self employed and it's just been on the news that in the UK there will be some financial support given to the self employed based on past tax returns, but not until June. The companies I do work for are shut down until this lockdown ends.

    One strange thing about this lockdown in the UK is that you're allowed out to exercise once per day, including cycling. Traffic is down at least 60 to 70% compared to normal. At the same time as there being hardly any traffic on the roads, everyone is at home and the schools are closed so this week there's been a resurgence of cycling as the conditions are perfect, dry sunny and warm. There have been lots of families and people all out cycling enjoying the sunshine whilst keeping well apart from other people.

    Although there isn't much traffic what there is consists of delivery vans, builders vans (builders are allowed to work still) and the odd car so you have to keep your wits about you. Yesterday in the country lanes there was a DPD courier van coming the other way but he was looking at his instructions or satnav so not paying attention and on the wrong side of the country lane coming straight at me head on. There was a car behind me too as I got right over onto the verge but fortunately he realised and swerved back onto the other side of the road just in time to avoid us!

    Talking about race cancellations the Cape Epic in South Africa was cancelled a couple of days before it was due to start on the 15 March 2020. The Cape Epic was supposed to run from 15 March 2020 through to 22 March 2020.

    https://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport...demic-20200313

    By then all the competitors had flown in from their countries so were then faced with the task of getting home again. I read on another forum that apparently some competitors trying to get back to Europe were told there were no flights until 17 April 2020!

    In South Africa it was on the news today that they're introducing a three week lockdown from now. Considering how much difficulty there has been with international flights if the race had gone ahead anyone who completed it would probably be stuck there for the duration!

    The other race I'd be interested to hear about the aftermath of is Paris - Nice. That had a field of riders and staff from all over, including Italy, Spain etc. Where have they gone to now? Back home to the locked down areas or somewhere out of the way where they can continue training?

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by MattMay View Post
    Y’all catch Kate Courtney’s view on Tokyo Olympics decision and resulting personal impact?

    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...ng-11585047601
    There was a roundup of comments from affected XC racers about the Olympics on Pinkbike too:

    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/social...tponement.html

    Along with the disappointment there must be some financial worries too. On Cyclingtips there's an article about how the staff for some Belgian professional road teams are already having to claim unemployment benefits due to the lack of racing:

    https://cyclingtips.com/2020/03/unem...oteams-afloat/

    Apparently the riders are still getting paid under contract for now but not all the staff. I'd have thought it's going to be the same for MTB teams too, particularly the smaller ones.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Crankout's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,471
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    I'd have thought now would be a good time to do some fasted riding to make your food stocks last longer.

    I'm self employed and it's just been on the news that in the UK there will be some financial support given to the self employed based on past tax returns, but not until June. The companies I do work for are shut down until this lockdown ends.

    One strange thing about this lockdown in the UK is that you're allowed out to exercise once per day, including cycling. Traffic is down at least 60 to 70% compared to normal. At the same time as there being hardly any traffic on the roads, everyone is at home and the schools are closed so this week there's been a resurgence of cycling as the conditions are perfect, dry sunny and warm. There have been lots of families and people all out cycling enjoying the sunshine whilst keeping well apart from other people.

    Although there isn't much traffic what there is consists of delivery vans, builders vans (builders are allowed to work still) and the odd car so you have to keep your wits about you. Yesterday in the country lanes there was a DPD courier van coming the other way but he was looking at his instructions or satnav so not paying attention and on the wrong side of the country lane coming straight at me head on. There was a car behind me too as I got right over onto the verge but fortunately he realised and swerved back onto the other side of the road just in time to avoid us!

    Talking about race cancellations the Cape Epic in South Africa was cancelled a couple of days before it was due to start on the 15 March 2020. The Cape Epic was supposed to run from 15 March 2020 through to 22 March 2020.

    https://www.sport24.co.za/OtherSport...demic-20200313

    By then all the competitors had flown in from their countries so were then faced with the task of getting home again. I read on another forum that apparently some competitors trying to get back to Europe were told there were no flights until 17 April 2020!

    In South Africa it was on the news today that they're introducing a three week lockdown from now. Considering how much difficulty there has been with international flights if the race had gone ahead anyone who completed it would probably be stuck there for the duration!

    The other race I'd be interested to hear about the aftermath of is Paris - Nice. That had a field of riders and staff from all over, including Italy, Spain etc. Where have they gone to now? Back home to the locked down areas or somewhere out of the way where they can continue training?
    You guys can only go out once a day? Wow. Make the best of it when you're out there!

    I keep on seeing articles about organizers in Europe insisting on the continuation of the big tours in one form or another (TdF, Giro, etc).
    The only important thing these days, is rhythm and melody. Rhythm...and melody.

  47. #47
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankout View Post
    You guys can only go out once a day? Wow. Make the best of it when you're out there!

    I keep on seeing articles about organizers in Europe insisting on the continuation of the big tours in one form or another (TdF, Giro, etc).
    Out in the UK countryside it's a lot less strict of a lockdown than those in Europe at the moment. In France for example you're only allowed out to exercise for an hour a day within 1km of your house, with the French Police checking papers to comply. Italy and Spain are stay at home full stop currently.

    The UK Police have been handing out leaflets and stopping people driving to the car parks at beauty spots where walks would normally set off from but not much more than that.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JbvWniXcNhA

    Covoid 19 race cancellations?-police_warning.jpg

    I've just been going out riding from home and the only Police car I've seen all week was completely uninterested.

    The way it's gradually being ramped up and enforced I wouldn't be surprised if the exercise allowance is removed at some time in the next few weeks, so that everyone is made to stay home all the time during the peak of the coronavirus outbreak.

    The queue to get into the local supermarket today was half an hour as there's now a rule restricting the number of shoppers allowed in the store at any one time! We have some relatives in London and apparently it took them literally all day queuing just to be able to buy some food today.

    I mentioned South Africa a few posts ago. It sounds like their lockdown is straight to martial law with troops on the streets!

    The organisations that put on the big races are likely hurting for money. For them it's business and no racing means no money. For the ASO who run a lot of the main races Tour de France, Tour of Spain, Paris - Nice etc they must be desperate as the Tour de France is their biggest source of income for the year. I wouldn't be surprised if they do manage to put on a limited race of some sort this summer, with no spectators, but it could end up with lots of the international riders missing and a more domestic French rider orientated field like Paris - Nice was.

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Out in the UK countryside it's a lot less strict of a lockdown than those in Europe at the moment. In France for example you're only allowed out to exercise for an hour a day within 1km of your house, with the French Police checking papers to comply. Italy and Spain are stay at home full stop currently.
    I sure hope we are overblowing this pandemic and at the end, it won't turn that lethal.

    Because if not, given how society from a few countries (USA, UK, Mexico, etc) lack any sense of communal responsibility, things might turn to absolute chaos.

    I've had minimal human contact, but am still working, however I decided not to ride, as an accident that merits a trip to ER might turn sour, plus there is no point risking an accident and tax the health system when we can do other safer things for the moment.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLover View Post
    I sure hope we are overblowing this pandemic and at the end, it won't turn that lethal.

    Because if not, given how society from a few countries (USA, UK, Mexico, etc) lack any sense of communal responsibility, things might turn to absolute chaos.

    I've had minimal human contact, but am still working, however I decided not to ride, as an accident that merits a trip to ER might turn sour, plus there is no point risking an accident and tax the health system when we can do other safer things for the moment.
    Are you in Mexico at the moment? I was watching this video about the Mexico response yesterday and it seems to be nonexistent, even worse than the US:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3z-MH-xxdI&app=desktop

    Here in the UK the TV news is nothing but pictures of the coffins in Italy and Spain and emergency hospitals being rushed to be put together in exhibition centres around the UK in preparation for the expected influx of cases. They're due to run out of ventilators in London this weekend. Italy's just had its highest death toll yet. Lots of the people dying in Italy are the doctors and nurses who are trying to treat the patients too.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52067673

    In the UK the Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Health Secretary Matt Hancock and main scientific adviser Professor Whitty have all tested positive for Covid-19 today (as well as Prince Charles a few days ago) so if even they can catch it everyone will it looks like.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    Are you in Mexico at the moment? I was watching this video about the Mexico response yesterday and it seems to be nonexistent, even worse than the US:

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3z-MH-xxdI&app=desktop

    Here in the UK the TV news is nothing but pictures of the coffins in Italy and Spain and emergency hospitals being rushed to be put together in exhibition centres around the UK in preparation for the expected influx of cases. They're due to run out of ventilators in London this weekend. Italy's just had its highest death toll yet. Lots of the people dying in Italy are the doctors and nurses who are trying to treat the patients too.

    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52067673

    In the UK the Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Health Secretary Matt Hancock and main scientific adviser Professor Whitty have all tested positive for Covid-19 today (as well as Prince Charles a few days ago) so if even they can catch it everyone will it looks like.
    Yeah, I'm in Mexico and while the video is somewhat true, reality is different though.

    Our president has been acting exactly like Trump, denying the pandemic at first, saying all is well, not approving emergency budgets, not coming up with a federal plan and finally saying we should all just go out. However, governors from states have been speaking common sense and have put the basic measures in place that everyone else is doing around the world.

    Social distancing started along with USA even though we are 2 weeks behind on infection rate apparently, we have closed restaurants, closed parks, close public spaces, zero events and some companies have given their employees a 2week vacation and those who can work from home.

    The issue with Mexico is that a lot of people just can't stop working out of necessity, unemployment doesn't exist here and we all here know the health system is just a no go in this pandemic, if you land yourself in a hospital you can consider yourself dead.

    For those reasons, people here seem to be more obedient that in USA, those who can are staying isolated, those who can't are the one you see in the video. There is the last straw that we are not testing, so we have no idea about our numbers.

  51. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,077
    We did 5 races in our early series before the rest got indefinitely postposted, it was going to be 7 races with best 5 for the series points. I flatted last lap in the first race and could't get it fixed, but walked it in for last/15th-ish to salvage team points for the team competition, and not let down the team. If I had dnf'd I'd be 4th in the series, but with my 15th, three 2nds and one 1st, I'm in 2nd for the series, one point ahead of 3rd. I'm glad I walked it in instead of dnf'ing.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

  52. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,069
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLover View Post
    Yeah, I'm in Mexico and while the video is somewhat true, reality is different though.

    Our president has been acting exactly like Trump, denying the pandemic at first, saying all is well, not approving emergency budgets, not coming up with a federal plan and finally saying we should all just go out. However, governors from states have been speaking common sense and have put the basic measures in place that everyone else is doing around the world.

    Social distancing started along with USA even though we are 2 weeks behind on infection rate apparently, we have closed restaurants, closed parks, close public spaces, zero events and some companies have given their employees a 2week vacation and those who can work from home.

    The issue with Mexico is that a lot of people just can't stop working out of necessity, unemployment doesn't exist here and we all here know the health system is just a no go in this pandemic, if you land yourself in a hospital you can consider yourself dead.

    For those reasons, people here seem to be more obedient that in USA, those who can are staying isolated, those who can't are the one you see in the video. There is the last straw that we are not testing, so we have no idea about our numbers.
    Thanks for the clarification. In the UK the only articles about Mexico tend to be about the drug cartels if they do a particularly big massacre or escape from jail. Nothing else gets mentioned. Apparently "El Mencho" is much more cunning and doesn't have the weaknesses that led to "El Chapo" getting caught. That's it from yesterday.

    This article is from today's Sunday Telegraph 29 March 2020. It's about the measures that the rugby and cricket teams are already having to take. Clicking on it should bring up a larger readable version.

    Covoid 19 race cancellations?-29-03-2020_telegraph_sports.jpg

    The players are having to be temporarily laid off to reduce the wage bill as the clubs can't pay them. Even the big football teams are asking their players to take paycuts.

    This article is about the Lotto Soudal road team where 25 support staff have been laid off and the riders asked to take a temporary pay cut:

    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...mployed-452839

    When it comes to the lockdown in the UK it's only been a week and people are losing their minds already. The anxiety and stress levels for so many people are going to be through the roof. The TV news was talking about needing to maintain restrictions for another 3 to 6 months. I've no idea how that's going to work.

    What I've been trying to do is follow the advice in this Training Peaks article. In particular rather than spending all day watching or reading about the situation I've been trying to just check for updates once a day and spend the rest of the time doing other things to maintain some positivity.

    https://www.trainingpeaks.com/blog/f...obal-pandemic/

    That has been helping a bit, fewer panic attacks and waking up with a high heart rate midway through the night for now anyway.

  53. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: WR304's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    5,069
    The Tokyo Olympics has been rescheduled to July 2021. There's only one problem. It clashes with the Tour de France so riders will have to do one or the other:

    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...-france-452963

    For 2020 apparently the season might be extended from October until November so that as many of the postponed races as possible can still be run this year. That's for road racing but the UCI sanctioned MTB World Cups could maybe end up in the same time frame? I haven't seen MTB mentioned but if that's how the road side is approaching it it might be the same for MTB.

  54. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by WR304 View Post
    The Tokyo Olympics has been rescheduled to July 2021. There's only one problem. It clashes with the Tour de France so riders will have to do one or the other:

    https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/r...-france-452963

    For 2020 apparently the season might be extended from October until November so that as many of the postponed races as possible can still be run this year. That's for road racing but the UCI sanctioned MTB World Cups could maybe end up in the same time frame? I haven't seen MTB mentioned but if that's how the road side is approaching it it might be the same for MTB.
    The tour can simply just reschedule the tour to happen before Olympics same as they did this year. I know its not ideal, but everyone gonna have to compromise one way or another.

  55. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    971
    I know on a local level in my area, there's been several MTB events that have already moved to September. It'll be an interesting season for sure. I race cyclocross so I'm pretty sure I'll stay that course for my fall activities, but I wonder how field sizes will be impacted if all those who race MTB and/or road as their primary disciplines choose those events instead.

  56. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    527
    It will be interesting to see who will survive this armageddon.

    Teams falling apart, losing sponsors, countries will restrict budget for sports and athletes. It will take years to get back to what we considered as normal life.

Similar Threads

  1. Park BBT 19 vs 19.2
    By Dr.Mushy in forum Tooltime
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-17-2014, 07:18 AM
  2. Replies: 49
    Last Post: 09-23-2012, 02:11 AM
  3. 19 Annual Cool Mountain Bike Race!!! Roll Call
    By mike thompson in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-12-2011, 08:18 PM
  4. Santos 12 Hour Race Feb-19
    By Sanchez in forum Southeast/Midsouth - GA, TN, AL, FL, MS, LA, AR
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 12:41 PM
  5. Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-22-2008, 02:59 PM

Members who have read this thread: 201

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2020 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.