Canada Cup- Mtbr.com

Thread: Canada Cup

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005

Canada Cup

I'm looking to sign up for the Canada Cup at Mont Tremblant and was browsing through the site. I'm just curious if anyone knows what the "Cadet" category is? I would normally sign up for Cat3, but it seems like Sport is the lowest unless Cadet == Cat 3

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Cadet is usually the age category for teens around 15 years old, but I haven't raced in a while so they may have shuffled the ages around a bit. For mountain bike races, the categories from slowest to fastest are beginner, sport, expert, and elite, and from youngest to oldest - pee-wee, cadet, junior, senior, and master.

So look up the age range for each category and see where you fit, and from there you can race beginner or sport. To race in expert or elite you need to have enough upgrade points from finishing well in past races then fill out the forms & stuff so that you can race with the fast guys.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I'm heading to Baie-Saint-Paul

Thank goodness for Google translate!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Yeah cadet is for younger riders.

Dont want to high jack, but Tremblant will be my first mtb race ever. On the schedule its written the xco course is opened on friday for training. I might be there too late to train on it. Any ody knows if the course will be opened early in the saturday morning for training/recon?

Thanks

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    Are you racing sport since it doesn't seem like they have a beginner cat?

I've never seen the peewee/cadet stuff on any USAC races before so that's good to know.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Devincicx View Post
    Yeah cadet is for younger riders.

Dont want to high jack, but Tremblant will be my first mtb race ever. On the schedule its written the xco course is opened on friday for training. I might be there too late to train on it. Any ody knows if the course will be opened early in the saturday morning for training/recon?

Thanks
    The first XCO race starts at 9:00AM on Saturday, so you might be able to squeeze in some unofficial training very early in the morning before they start handing out number plates. That 8AM number plate start would be a good indication of when the course is under control of the officials.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by miss rides a lot View Post
    I'm heading to Baie-Saint-Paul

Thank goodness for Google translate!
    That's a long commute for a race, even further east than Mont Sainte Anne. Planning on riding a bit at Mont Sainte Anne while you're in the neighbourhood? Are you campaigning races in the NE US as well?

The Punk Hucker
    I'll be at both Tremblant and Baie St-Paul myself but riding for the Quebec Cup. Tremblant gives me an opportunity to visit my mother and my wife's family is in Baie St-Paul so those are two races I like to do.

Devinci, the Tremblant course is intense and extremely technical. We had a couple of younger riders leave in an ambulance last summer with broken limbs and concussions. I would not have chosen it as a first race but if you are a decent technical rider it's a VERY fun race.
    Beware the hucking bear!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    That's a long commute for a race, even further east than Mont Sainte Anne. Planning on riding a bit at Mont Sainte Anne while you're in the neighbourhood? Are you campaigning races in the NE US as well?
    haha, yeah, bit of a drive! Anyone heading up Thursday afternoon/evening that wouldn't mind carpooling with me??

I probably won't be riding MSA due to timing; just heading out for the race that weekend. Plan is to race Windham World Cup, but aside from that and Nationals my race schedule is pretty tentative at the moment. BSP and Windham are dwindling my race funds!

Hope to meet some of you guys up there!

The Punk Hucker
    haha, yeah, bit of a drive! Anyone heading up Thursday afternoon/evening that wouldn't mind carpooling with me??

Hope to meet some of you guys up there!
    I'd like to but I'm coming from the north.

The Pierre Narcisse restaurant is a good place for dinner...

BTW, if anyone is looking for cool accomodation, I've been told that Aux portes du soleil is a nice spot that is MTBer owned so it has bike showers outside and is biker friendly. I never tried it as I'll be in my wife's family.
    Beware the hucking bear!

ups and downs
    I dunno, seems a shame to drive right by Mont Sainte Anne on the way back and not spend at least a day of riding there. Never know who'd you'd run into on the trails there, that's the weekend right after La Bresse and 3 weeks ahead of the Canadian Nationals. There's quite a large gap between the BSP Canada Cup race and the Windham race, and the MSA race is just a week before Windham.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I dunno, seems a shame to drive right by Mont Sainte Anne on the way back and not spend at least a day of riding there. Never know who'd you'd run into on the trails there, that's the weekend right after La Bresse and 3 weeks ahead of the Canadian Nationals. There's quite a large gap between the BSP Canada Cup race and the Windham race, and the MSA race is just a week before Windham.
    If only time/money were no object!! Gotta get back to work :\ Though that is Memorial Day for us, so luckily only taking 2 days

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    I'll be at both Tremblant and Baie St-Paul myself but riding for the Quebec Cup. Tremblant gives me an opportunity to visit my mother and my wife's family is in Baie St-Paul so those are two races I like to do.

Devinci, the Tremblant course is intense and extremely technical. We had a couple of younger riders leave in an ambulance last summer with broken limbs and concussions. I would not have chosen it as a first race but if you are a decent technical rider it's a VERY fun race.
    I dont know if im a decent technical rider. But I aim at going there and just have fun, senior sport category.

I am not heading there to win anything, but only to learn, I will try to get in the technical places with control, going slower is faster then crashing someone said?

But how do you say its technical? Hard descents? Rooty flats? Rock gardens?

I think I am far from good at technical riding, but went with a group of relatively experience yet unfit MTBers here and I was at least as good as them if not better.

Fitness wise, I'd say I have a cat 1 fitness.

The Punk Hucker
    Quote Originally Posted by Devincicx View Post
    I dont know if im a decent technical rider. But I aim at going there and just have fun, senior sport category.

I am not heading there to win anything, but only to learn, I will try to get in the technical places with control, going slower is faster then crashing someone said?

But how do you say its technical? Hard descents? Rooty flats? Rock gardens?

I think I am far from good at technical riding, but went with a group of relatively experience yet unfit MTBers here and I was at least as good as them if not better.

Fitness wise, I'd say I have a cat 1 fitness.
    Hey we're in the same category, feel free to come chat, I'll be the bearded guy on an grey with white decals Xprezo T4 frame. You can PM me if you like.

As for the course's technicality, there are 2 or 3 descents that are steep, rocky, twisty and right next to big cliffs. Many people went OTB in those sections or crashed hard in the rocks. Those sections are pretty scary, I strongly advise pre-riding the course. Other sections are not as dangerous but are fairly hard. If you are familiar with the area, you know there are lots of big boulders sticking out of the ground and the Tremblant course is not different. I would compare some sections to Prevost (near the old train station) but fortunately it's only certain short sections. A full course like Prevost would be insanely difficult.
    Beware the hucking bear!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The course is right up there with Mont Ste. Anne for technical difficulty. Especially if it's wet (as it often is.) Like most ski hill courses it's also got a significant amount of climbing per lap. Basically climb up, cross the hill, come down. Repeat. Sections of the descent are downright unnerving and I HIGHLY recommend pre-riding. Accomodations are surprisingly affordable and plentiful right in the village. Great place to spend the long weekend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PissedOffCil View Post
    Hey we're in the same category, feel free to come chat, I'll be the bearded guy on an grey with white decals Xprezo T4 frame. You can PM me if you like.

As for the course's technicality, there are 2 or 3 descents that are steep, rocky, twisty and right next to big cliffs. Many people went OTB in those sections or crashed hard in the rocks. Those sections are pretty scary, I strongly advise pre-riding the course. Other sections are not as dangerous but are fairly hard. If you are familiar with the area, you know there are lots of big boulders sticking out of the ground and the Tremblant course is not different. I would compare some sections to Prevost (near the old train station) but fortunately it's only certain short sections. A full course like Prevost would be insanely difficult.
    I PMed you with a couple of Q

You scared me with those steep descents... Are they that hard to go through?

Like I said, I am not bad at technical riding, I'd say a bit below average, I dont go super fast through tech descent for example.

thanks

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    I'm in the same cat too. I'm in the same boat with not being a particularly great technical rider - I'm primarily a triathlete so my mtb time is unfortunately a bit limited. We'll see how this goes...

The Punk Hucker
    Quote Originally Posted by skibum1321 View Post
    I'm in the same cat too. I'm in the same boat with not being a particularly great technical rider - I'm primarily a triathlete so my mtb time is unfortunately a bit limited. We'll see how this goes...
    Baie St-Paul is not the most technical course and when it's technical it's not dangerous unlike Tremblant. Anybody should be fine unless it turns out the super mudfest like last year, it made the course a lot tougher. With that said, last year's race damaged the course and they posted on their website that they reworked many parts of the course (10 000$ investment) so who knows how it will be this year.

Hey you know what? I'm getting excited as the racing season is about to start!
    Beware the hucking bear!

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    I'll just be racing Tremblant. I'll do a few other races in VT and MA for the season too. None of the courses around here are dangerous when they do get technical though. Think I'll be ok on a HT at Tremblant? I hope so because I don't have a full suspension anymore. Unfortunately I won't be up on Friday to pre-ride the course...

The Punk Hucker
    Sorry, I got messed up between posters. I race on a hardtail and was fine last year. Tremblant is really the only course I would call dangerous, especially the section at the very beggining here :

It's fairly easy to go through the net although it isn't very scary on GoPro footage... As far as I know all the broken limbs and concussions happened there last year.

The other I have in mind is at 15:50 in this vid : You can actually see a guy crash right there.
    Beware the hucking bear!

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    I couldn't find the distances online. Do you know how long the sport race is?

The Punk Hucker
    3 laps, I'd have to check my logs for the lap length, I'll post back later
    Beware the hucking bear!

The Punk Hucker
    6.67km (4.15 mi) per lap, the first is a little shorter. Total = 20km (12.4 mi)

Attached is the GPS for Tremblant but it's not very good, it had the "Stick to roads" option enabled.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Beware the hucking bear!

The Punk Hucker
    How did your race go this weekend? I finished 4th in my cat, I'm pretty happy with that result although I lost the podium spot in the last 100 meters...

Unfortunately, they shortened the Sport length by 1 lap, I wrote them a comment about it trying to know if it's going to be shorter races for the rest of the season as well.
    Beware the hucking bear!

Endurance Junkie
    Sep 2005
    I unfortunately didn't get to race. I didn't realize that I needed an international USAC license to have the UCI license so they didn't let me race. I figured they'd let me do a day license since most US races let you do one for sport. Unfortunately no dice and I wasn't willing to pony up $90 extra for an international USAC license.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    any idea if there are photos of last week-end's race somewhere online?

The Punk Hucker
    They put them on the Fede's website but they don't seem up yet.
    Beware the hucking bear!

ups and downs
    If only time/money were no object!! Gotta get back to work :\ Though that is Memorial Day for us, so luckily only taking 2 days
    Top 5 is a good finish. How'd you enjoy the race? I hope it was worth the long bit of travel. A bit cool but a good race temp.

Canada Cup XC #2, Baie-Saint-Paul

Elite Women

1 Sandra Walter (XPREZO-BORSAO) 1:22:21
    2 Jean Ann Berkenpas (XPREZO-BORSAO) 1:23:03
    3 Amanda Sin (3 Rox Racing) 1:23:36
    4 Cindy Montambault (CVM 2 VALS) 1:25:30
    5 Allison Mann (Bikes for Boobs / Rock) 1:27:59

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Top 5 is a good finish. How'd you enjoy the race? I hope it was worth the long bit of travel. A bit cool but a good race temp.

Canada Cup XC #2, Baie-Saint-Paul

Elite Women

1 Sandra Walter (XPREZO-BORSAO) 1:22:21
    2 Jean Ann Berkenpas (XPREZO-BORSAO) 1:23:03
    3 Amanda Sin (3 Rox Racing) 1:23:36
    4 Cindy Montambault (CVM 2 VALS) 1:25:30
    5 Allison Mann (Bikes for Boobs / Rock) 1:27:59
    That finish will let her start Windham in our Bikes for Boobs kit. Worth it? Maybe.

From what I hear from her the experience was well worth it though. Sucked to not be able to go with her. Though doing as well as she did without me there bodes well for her if she can break through to the next level of racing....
    Try to be good.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    The race was great. The course was a lot of fun, challenging, and the race organization was top notch. Everything was really smooth and nicely done. I didn't get my bike on time to get much course recon, so that was a bit of a bummer as the terrain isn't something I get to ride here much.

I had a blast on the trip itself otherwise and was super thankful to be there.

mnoutain bkie rdier
    The race was great. The course was a lot of fun, challenging, and the race organization was top notch. Everything was really smooth and nicely done. I didn't get my bike on time to get much course recon, so that was a bit of a bummer as the terrain isn't something I get to ride here much.

I had a blast on the trip itself otherwise and was super thankful to be there.
    Makin' the So. Cal. (and USA) race scene proud Allison. Nice work Keep at it!

Members who have read this thread: 0