burn out

Printable View

• 06-11-2010
    mmoen
    burn out
    I am in the middle of the wors race series its a 12 race series in wisconsin. After race 2 I was in 3nd place overall and I split a tire and didnt finish race 3. So you guys know how that goes train more for a better finish next time. Well this time I went to far. The race was 2 sundays ago so I took monday off and did intervals tues. rode a fast 40 on wed. thurs. I rode hills for 40 took off friday rode a slow 20 on sat. and on sun. I did a blazing fast 110 miles. Felt alright on mon. but rested I tried to come back on tues. with intervals again and couldnt get my heart rate above 135 usually when I do intervals i can hit 180 ish so I came home shot. Next i start to notice every burnt out symptom high resting heart rate, diareah, swollen glands, no energy, sore for a week. I have not rode in 4 days and have a race on sunday. I guess we will just see what happens. My real question is after all this rest no drinking booz and eating perfect what do I do next week can I go back to riding full speed with more rest? Or do I need a new plan any help would be great, I am looking for someone who had the same experience. I always new about burning out but never thought it would happen to me. Thanks for reading Mitch
  • 06-11-2010
    jeffw-13
    I am in the middle of the WORS race series. Its a 12 race series in Wisconsin. After race 2 I was in 3nd place overall and I split a tire and didnt finish race 3. So you guys know how that goes, train more for a better finish next time.

Well this time I went too far.

The race was 2 Sundays ago so I took Monday off and did intervals Tuesday. I rode a fast 40 on Wednesday. Thursday I rode hills for 40 then took off Friday, rode a slow 20 on Saturday and on Sunday I did a blazing fast 110 miles. Felt alright on Monday but rested. I tried to come back on Tuesday with intervals again and couldnt get my heart rate above 135. Usually when I do intervals i can hit 180 ish so I came home shot.

Next I start to notice every burnt out symptom, high resting heart rate, diarrhea, swollen glands, no energy, sore for a week. I have not ridden in 4 days and have a race on Sunday. I guess we will just see what happens.

My real question is after all this rest, no drinking booze and eating perfect what do I do next week? Can I go back to riding full speed with more rest? Or do I need a new plan?

Any help would be great, I am looking for someone who had the same experience. I always knew about burning out but never thought it would happen to me. Thanks for reading Mitch
  • 06-11-2010
    mmoen
    First off its not the worst race series its the wors series just like I posted. What are you an english teacher? I am glad you wasted all that time fixing my question and didnt even answer it thanks.
  • 06-12-2010
    iwanttolookatpics
    Sounds like you've just over-reached, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, take a few more days off and you'll be set.
  • 06-12-2010
    jeffw-13
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mmoen
    First off its not the worst race series its the wors series just like I posted. What are you an english teacher? I am glad you wasted all that time fixing my question and didnt even answer it thanks.

fix'd

Sorry man. I got halfway thru that blob of text & my head hurt. I thought you might get some help if it was a little easier to read. You're welcome.
  • 06-12-2010
    cducati
    what a nice guy...
  • 06-12-2010
    Pauly F
    Thanks jeffW-13. My head was hurting too. I also have no answer to the question.
  • 06-17-2010
    MFKracing
    I'd say you can't train your way out of it, but I bet you can rest your way out of it. Take a week of no bike, maybe two. I bet for one you'll be rested and two you'll be excited to ride a bike again.
  • 06-17-2010
    newtrailhead
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MFKracing
    I'd say you can't train your way out of it, but I bet you can rest your way out of it. Take a week of no bike, maybe two. I bet for one you'll be rested and two you'll be excited to ride a bike again.

This is the best advice you will get. Take time OFF.
  • 06-17-2010
    selector
    I've done a lot of tuf sports:

motocross (retired)
    surf (moved away)
    snowboard
    ski (see above)
    MTB

I learned a long time ago, by accident (literally), that a break can pay big dividends. Park the bike and stay away for a week or so. Think about it, reflect on what you do and how you do, but don't mount up. Just chill and do other stuf. As you contemplate your sport and your performance, you'll see things that you normally don't/can't hot into mid season.

I used to break at least once during a moto season, sometimes twice. I always came back fresh and on fire and riding faster. Yeah, it was hard, but I know it works. The first day or two is the hardest. Day 4 is pretty easy cuz you're seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

By the time you're back on, it won't seem like you took the break.

Good luck.
  • 06-18-2010
    XCFred
    Yeah, I think I'm in the same boat with needing a break. I've been training pretty much non-stop since January, other than 5 days off in late March. I've felt like crap all this week...just no power whatsoever on the bike. I'm thinking I need a few days off to rest-off some of this accumulated fatigue of racing since April.
  • 06-18-2010
    muddytire
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MFKracing

Spoken like a bearded guru in his mountain-top temple. Follow that advice.
  • 06-22-2010
    Cholopolitan
    Pools=Magic
    Do some easy laps... I suck at swimming, but it always helps.. Easy resistance and very natural.

Splurge for a massage.

Culvers... butter burger.

If that doesn't work, just think about all of the trainer miles you had to put in while the lakes were frozen and that Brett guy was running around in purple. That should do it.
  • 06-22-2010
    mudforlunch
    drink some Point special and eat some Portesi cheese fries. Damn I miss home. :)
  • 06-23-2010
    rob_co2
    I suggest you read some books and come up with a better training plan. What the hell would possess you to do "a blazing fast 110 miles"? What benefit would this training give you for a 20 mile mtb race?

Maybe try some easy test rides (what you might call a "slow 20") to see how the HR reacts, if its abnormal go back home. Even if the HR seems normal, I'd still go very easy until the race, as 2 hrs at race pace might put you over the edge again.

But seriously, you should focus on training your specific weaknesses. If your weaknesses are plentiful compared to the others, maybe you need to just accept that they are better trained racers. But no matter how hard to train, 3 weeks isn't going to make a drastic change.
  • 06-23-2010
    Garlock
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffw-13
    fix'd

Sorry man. I got halfway thru that blob of text & my head hurt. I thought you might get some help if it was a little easier to read. You're welcome.

what an a$$hole :D
  • 06-24-2010
    taudep
    You need a beer.
    Too much riding and not enough proper recovery carbs.