mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Bongos on my kidneys

The last trail ride I had I felt like someone had been beating on my kidneys half way through the ride. I was getting sharp pains from my kidney area on both sides of my body. Lasted for at least 15 minutes and I either got use to it or it faded away. Also, it may help to say I was riding my Kona Dawg (FS) rather than my hardtail, and it was an easy XC trail, not some hardcore rocky technical or downhill, not that there is an abundance of that in Buffalo anyways.

Tonight I went for a 45 minute road ride before it got dark and again about 30 min. into the ride my kidneys were getting sharp pains and lasted basically until the end. I tried sitting up on the seat and it seem to help a little, but not much.

Any ideas? At first I thought maybe hydration, but I don't think that was it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Seek professional help

Quote Originally Posted by diiulio
    The last trail ride I had I felt like someone had been beating on my kidneys half way through the ride. I was getting sharp pains from my kidney area on both sides of my body. Lasted for at least 15 minutes and I either got use to it or it faded away. Also, it may help to say I was riding my Kona Dawg (FS) rather than my hardtail, and it was an easy XC trail, not some hardcore rocky technical or downhill, not that there is an abundance of that in Buffalo anyways.

Tonight I went for a 45 minute road ride before it got dark and again about 30 min. into the ride my kidneys were getting sharp pains and lasted basically until the end. I tried sitting up on the seat and it seem to help a little, but not much.

Any ideas? At first I thought maybe hydration, but I don't think that was it.
    Anytime something really weird and disturbing goes on with your body I think it's time to talk to a doctor. Bongos on my kidneys strikes me as weird and disturbing.

bleeding eventually stops

Kidney punch

Kidney's bouncing around is a big problem is moto-cross and part of the reason for a kidney belt. Wouldn't expect it to be happening on a FS on a easy course though, and the timing sounds a little unsual.
    What color is your pee?
    Possible that you could have a kidney stone. Doubt pylonephritis (kidney infection) and you would need a preceeding urinary tract infection which is very unusual in a healthy male (unless of course you are a ****.)
    Ditto on the check with your doc, I'd try and get in there sooner rather than latter. If your Pee is very dark, bloody, smells funny or hurts, go to the ER.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yeah, I will get it checked out professionally.
    I am 25 and healthy, my urine is clear to light yellow and no pains when I urinate. Haven't taken medication in who knows how long.
    I am healthy, but very out of shape endurance wise. I guess you could say I am your average short stocky Italian.

some guy
    May 2004
    I have a different problem I went out for my first real trail ride yesterday. It was muddy and parts of the trail were bog because of the esquirians. I rode through those the best I could and they had some large bumps (I'm riding a trek 4900) and such but nothing I felt was too bad, if I wasn't going downhill a lot of the time I would get stuck and have to walk out. When I got home I realized it really burnt to pee and there was a bit of blood in it. Could it be I just took a shot to the testicles? I'm still in the same way... tiny bit of blood and pain. But I'm drinking a lot of fluids to try and flush it out....

bleeding eventually stops

Kidney punch

Testicular trauma has got to be pretty severe to get blood in your urine, possible but not typical. Urethral injury is also possible but exceedingly rare without penetrating trauma. Probably the most common injury given your history would be a renal hematoma. More or less a bruise around your kidney. These will normally clear on their own with conservative management, including the hydration which you have already mentioned. Having blood in your urine will often cause dysuria (pain on urination.) BUT having blood in your urine warrents getting it professionally checked out, you need to see your MD for this to make sure there is not something more serious to be concerned of.

mtbr member
    Do you have a really low body fat percentage? When mine was below 12% I had kidney pain after riding rough trails. At 14% I've never had any problem. Your level of hydration may be part of the problem too. If you don't see your doctor, at least go to your local gym and ask them to check your body fat.