Body Mass Index VS. Muscle Mass- Mtbr.com

Apr 2006

Body Mass Index VS. Muscle Mass

I was checking out a web page (http://www.fitnessrocks.org/index.php?post_id=150557) and there was a link to a Body Mass Index calculator. So I typed in my information and was surprised to find that I was catagorized as over weight. Overall, I feel I have well developed muscles especially my legs. Besides MTBing I run two or three times a week also.

I believe muscle weighs more than fat. So does any one know if muscle mass have an effect with true Body Mass Index?

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    When reviewing epidemialogic studies, research, and most patient charts, BMI is a great tool for medical professionals to quickly assess the subject. You likely don't fit in there. Muscle mass can have significant impact on BMI, so don't sweat it. If I were reviewng your chart in my office w/o seeing you I would probably make the assumption you are a fat bastard. You would be a refreshing change in the course of my day. BMI is made for everyone else.

Keep up the good work!

Apr 2006
    Thanks, I was begining to think I was a fat bastard.

Mar 2006
    Heh. Yes, endurance athletes are not quite "normal" in many instances (as I am sure CrockPot knows). If you are highly-trained and go in for an EKG, don't tell them you are an endurance athlete. The staff will freak when they discover you have "left ventricular hypertrophy," basically an enlarged heart, which is common for us endurance types

Sep 2006
    Body fat scales are inexpensive (Walmart, about $30 in the fitness section). They can be helpful to determine what is fat and what is muscle. One thing to look out for is the fact that these scales measure water to determine the percentage of fat. This is useful to see how badly you are dehydrated after a race or other exertion. However, it can be confusing at times.

Members who have read this thread: 0