bibs or shorts- Mtbr.com

Thread: bibs or shorts

Dec 2006

bibs or shorts

I may sound like a noob, but, which are better for riding and racing?

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by jef leppard
    I may sound like a noob, but, which are better for riding and racing?
    Bibs if you have a gut.

But this is probably the wrong forum for guys with a gut. No?

I'd wear bibs even with a 6-pack.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    I use both. Bibs are more comfortable as you don't have elastic around your stomach. However when it's really hot I'll go the standard knicks as they are a bit cooler.
    Last edited by Some Guy; 03-21-2007 at 03:10 AM.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

Dec 2006

no gut

Thanks, I don't have a gut to speak of and the cold doesn't bother me, so I think I'm going to go with just the shorts. I'm switching from baggy shorts to tights so hopefully I won't get hung up anymore .

mtbr member
    I don't have a gut either, but I find bibs more comfortable just the same.
    www.yourtrails.net/weights/ - Kick ass weights listing
    racing.thylacinecycles.com - Racing silliness

vegan cyclocross disco
    nothing but bibs. they should outlaw shorts. I don't want to see your hairy ass while I'm trying my hardest to pass you...

I love Pisgah
    Gut? I race/ride in bibs 99% of the time. Far superior imo.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

mtbr member
    I recently got a pair of bibs. Definitely more comfy than shorts.
    You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake

Sep 2004
    I use both...the thing I don't like about bibs is they are a little hotter than just shorts and they seem to be a little restrictive. I'm somewhat tall and skinny and to have the shorts part of the bib fit me, I have to buy a smaller size than a size that would fit my height. I hope that makes sense.

Most of the time, I'm wearing shorts but on cold mornings its nice to have the bibs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    bibs- comfort rules

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    +1 for bibs. On hot days I will wear shorts. And if I'm doing more trail/all mountain stuff where I'm more likely to fall off my bike, it's baggies. Mostly so that I'm don't shred up the lycra when I hit the ground.

Shut up and ride
    Quote Originally Posted by iamandy
    nothing but bibs. they should outlaw shorts. I don't want to see your hairy ass while I'm trying my hardest to pass you...
    sorry

I prefer bibs over shorts, especially on cooler days...the one thing i dont like is its a pain to pee

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    bibs, I'll add to the gut thing but from the opposite end of the spectrum. If you are a skinny guy with no ass they stay in place without squishin yo stomach to the nth degree of uncomfortable. I have some shorts but rarely wear them anymore, oh yeah if you buy Giordana bibs they have an ipod holster on the back suspender thing which is about the neatest thing in the world (pretty sure it was put there for pro-teams radios but iPods are hipper than radios).

No. Just No.
    Have both, and I actually prefer (lycra) shorts instead of bibs, but I'll admit I'm way into the minority. Any time you poll a group of people who train and race regularly you can expect to hear that bibs are preferred.

Sep 2005
    bibs all the way. i feel more supported in bibs too, my ass never hangs out and they never fall down.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    hmmm, i have never used a bib before, i might buy one to try out!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Bibs!

I dig the bibs. Never have to worry about plumber butt. I teammate of mine likes regular shorts 'cause he say bibs chaffe his nips in long races.
    Former XXC Mag publisher (re)turned amateur bike blogger at The Soiled Chamois.

mtbr member
    BIBS
    I never wear shorts anymore, Bibs are way more comfortable
    Ride to eat, Eat to ride.

mtbr member
    Hum, seems like you're buying shorts to big for you Can't say as in the little time I've been wearing lycra shorts that I've ever had any of those feelings - the damn things almost fit me up to my chest.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey
    bibs all the way. i feel more supported in bibs too, my ass never hangs out and they never fall down.
    What I'd like is a couple recommendations for brands of shorts with padding that doesn't move around and doesn't feel like a diaper. SO far I've only got 2 pairs - 1 TREK and 1 fropm Saftey Co. - the ones from TREK have a skinny liner, but don't move about and are pretty comfy even on long rides, and the ones from Saftey have a thick a$$ pad and move about a lot - both Large.
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold
    You're doing mtbr wrong, you're supposed to get increasingly offended by the implications that you're doing ANYTHING wrong.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Bibs all the way!

Sweep the leg!
    Bib shorts, bib knickers, bib tights. No shorts on me since 1987. I hate shorts because the drawstrings never hold the shorts in place. As said before, I don't need to moon anyone or have someone think I'm a plumber.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

mtbr member
    Bibs all the way!

YESBRO!!!
    bibs, and if you do have a gut, it's like a suspension hammock for it.

Feb 2006
    Before I go out and buy a set of bibs, how do you pee on the trail with those? I stop at least once on my rides and, with shorts, I don't even have to get off the bike to take a leak if I don't want to. Do you have to basically undress to take a leak?

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toybox
    Before I go out and buy a set of bibs, how do you pee on the trail with those? I stop at least once on my rides and, with shorts, I don't even have to get off the bike to take a leak if I don't want to. Do you have to basically undress to take a leak?
    Procedure as follows ; pull front of jersey up, yank front edge of bibs down, yank thing (gently ) over top of bibs, expel bodily fluids as required.

Really though, it just works. Pro roadies actually to do this while they're still actually rolling along on their bikes sometimes, so you'll have to trust that it can be done fairly easily standing at the side of a trail.

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Procedure as follows ; pull front of jersey up, yank front edge of bibs down, yank thing (gently ) over top of bibs, expel bodily fluids as required.

Really though, it just works. Pro roadies actually to do this while they're still actually rolling along on their bikes sometimes, so you'll have to trust that it can be done fairly easily standing at the side of a trail.
    i thought the pro guys pulled up the leg of their shorts etc...

'course then you risk peeing down the inside of your leg and into your sock/shoe.

rt (just ordered my 1st pr of bibs)
    "where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)

*rt*'s fabulous blog
    mm blogging

Shut up and ride
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip

really?? well either my bibs go up higher, or maybe I have a smaller....err nevermind

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Bib Baggies?

Here's an idea, Bib-Baggies. The fit and feel of bibs but the not-so-dorky look of bibs. Does anyone make 'em? Where can I get some?

mtbr member
    bibs. Unless, like Some Guy said, it's really hot. Then I'll wear shorts. Living in Florida I wear shorts a lot in july and august.

Shut up and ride
    how about normal bibs, and you put on baggies over them (obviously ones w/o a chamois)

Shut up and ride
    "Here's an idea, Bib-Baggies. The fit and feel of bibs but the not-so-dorky look of bibs. Does anyone make 'em? Where can I get some?"

how about normal bibs, and you put on baggies over them (obviously ones w/o a chamois)

Pixie Dust Addict
    Aug 2004
    Peeing is easy. Do you dress left or right? Pull up corresponding leg of shorts high enough to expose necessary equipment, expel fluids, lower leg of shorts.

Some pro roadies can actually do this while riding. Just make sure you're not behind them.

It's the solid waste expulsion that is a little more complicated...

Do It Yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by OCscs
    Here's an idea, Bib-Baggies. The fit and feel of bibs but the not-so-dorky look of bibs. Does anyone make 'em? Where can I get some?

I don't know why they don't make bib baggies. It would cure the ever present plumber's crack issue once and for all. However, I don't think it's dorky to wear bike shorts/bib while biking. It's only dorky if you wear bike shorts while not biking. Like at the grocery, "Yeah, I was just riding my bike...check out my glutes."
    Long Live Long Rides

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*

'course then you risk peeing down the inside of your leg and into your sock/shoe.

Shows how much I (don't) know. It obviously takes a woman to tell a man how to pee properly. As the counter-culture guy who actually prefers shorts, I suppose I should have left that question to one of our more experienced bib users.

I love Pisgah
    Yup. Hunch over while pulling the top of the bib down..easy as pie.
    "I've breathed the mtn air, man" Johnny Cash

It's a long way to the top
    . . . if you wanna rock and roll (ac/dc)

Sweep the leg!
    Quote Originally Posted by *rt*

Nope, I'll resist making any length jokes.
    Authorities speculate that speed may have been a factor. They are also holding gravity and inertia for questioning.

Derailleurless
    Quote Originally Posted by Homebrew
    It's only dorky if you wear bike shorts while not biking.
    Ahh... exactly what lightweight, black nylon basketball shorts were made for! The perfect coverup.
    speedub.nate
    MTBR Hiatus UFN

mtbr member
    bibs all the time, unless its a short mtb ride and i just dont care... but for road... bibs 24/7

http://castelli-us.com/pm-626-1-ypro-bib-short.aspx

i have 2 pair of those, i love them

mtbr member
    Bibs help keep your business put but shorts are cooler. I wish someone would come out with shorts that keep ur stuff where it belongs rather than sitting on it.
    Rule of thumb- 1 Lb. costs 2 sec. per mile of climb

Jun 2006
    Hooded Y-fronts are the only way to go

Members who have read this thread: 0