mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Best way to get back in shape

I'm in need of some advice of how to get back into shape. Its not been a year to enjoy so far for me and once i can get back doing things i need to get into shape again.

I quit smoking in the winter after having smoked for 26 years....and i still haven't had a cig since i quit. I got a mtn bike in the spring with high hopes of getting into shape through biking. In May i tore the retina in my eye and have now undergone 2 surgeries which have prevented me from doing much but laying face down. I still have a few more weeks of recovery before i'm even allowed to return to work.

My question is can you offer me some ideas about the best way to get back into shape and drop the weight i have unfortunately gained.

XCdude

The short answer is ride, if you want to lose weight

Quote Originally Posted by skihillguy
    I'm in need of some advice of how to get back into shape. Its not been a year to enjoy so far for me and once i can get back doing things i need to get into shape again.

I quit smoking in the winter after having smoked for 26 years....and i still haven't had a cig since i quit. I got a mtn bike in the spring with high hopes of getting into shape through biking. In May i tore the retina in my eye and have now undergone 2 surgeries which have prevented me from doing much but laying face down. I still have a few more weeks of recovery before i'm even allowed to return to work.

My question is can you offer me some ideas about the best way to get back into shape and drop the weight i have unfortunately gained.
    pedal at a comfortable pace, this is a pace that you can just talk or sing to yourself this is the best pace to lose weight. You have to have a negative calorie comsumption in your diet also, so cut out a few sodas,breads and beer out of your diet. Ride at least 4 hours per week and you should see benefits in about 2 weeks.

banned
    Apr 2004
    Ride more. Eat less.

Maybe you should set some sort of goal and then train for it.

Realistic goals you could set for next year might be something of the order:

Ride 100 kilometers (62 miles) nonstop.
    Enter and finish a mountain bike race in the beginner category.
    Ride to the top of some local mountain nonstop.

If you like to read or like text books you could get books like joe friels 'mountain bikers training bible' or joe friels 'cyclists training bible.'

good luck.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    yeah i go for some walks when it isn't raining these days..... the main goal right now is for me to get my vision back. The drs have me laying around alot to let the eye heal.
    I try to stay away from the crap food but difficult sometimes

ceteris paribus
    ok first of all, get sun glasses some bright color like ambar or yellow might help(you don't want a piece of mud flying into that eye...)

second, start by spinning a lot of soft gears at a comfortable pace. You wanna built your aerobic base again. The good thing is that you might be able to get back to a comfortable level of fitness in a couple of weeks.
    Try going for long rides at an easy pace. 2 hours or more below LT. That's great for your cardiovascular system.
    Who is this doin' this synthetic type of alpha-beta psychadelic funkin'

mtbr member

100km non-stop???

100km non-stop!!!??? You mean off-road mountain blking and climbing or simply "cruising along the countryside"? Because the best i've done [mountain biking] (non stop also) is 85km (52 miles) but climbing at high altitudes (from 400m to 1100m many times)

Quote Originally Posted by mattv2099
    Ride more. Eat less.

Maybe you should set some sort of goal and then train for it.

Realistic goals you could set for next year might be something of the order:

Ride 100 kilometers (62 miles) nonstop.
    Enter and finish a mountain bike race in the beginner category.
    Ride to the top of some local mountain nonstop.

If you like to read or like text books you could get books like joe friels 'mountain bikers training bible' or joe friels 'cyclists training bible.'

good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

Getting back in the game

It sounds like you won't be able to do much of anything physical for several weeks to come.

Fortunately, losing weight doesn't require exercise. Mostly, it's a matter of calories in vs. calories burned. Limit the intake to a level below the burn, and your weight will drop whether you are physically active or not. The biggest single calorie-eliminator available to most us is to stop using sugar in our breakfast cereal, coffee, pop, etc. Next-best is to reduce fats. And avoid peanut butter, pizza and beer like the plague. You'll see results quickly. Yes, you'll be hungry in a way that will test your character.

When your doctor says you can move around a little again, you might consider starting a routine of varied exercises to strengthen your abs and back. That way, you'll be developing core strength that will help any activity you do later.

By the way, I have the impression that exercise raises blood flow in a way that can interfere with a delicate healing process, so you might want to discuss your plans in detail with your doctor before you start. I think that's especially true of lifting weights, but you might be able to get some tone back with light dumbbells and rubber band exercisers. The latter come in several strengths and are very versatile... I've seen a book that showed how to do band exercises for nearly every part of the body.

If repeated, jarring impacts of the sort that happen when jogging are a problem, you might want to consider some low-impact cardio exercises to get your heart and lungs tuned up again. I like to hike, and so I carry a pack on a stairclimber and uphill on a treadmill. I started doing these just for hiking (when I'm fit I find I'm much more free to enjoy the experience and the scenery, instead of thinking about how my legs are burning), but these have turned out to be such good cardio exercises that I would keep doing them even if I wasn't hiking any more. And of course there's always the stationary bike, but it bores the hell out of me so I don't use it. An eliptical trainer provides a good all-body and cardio workout that's also low-impact. When set at high levels it can be even become an anaerobic challenge, and put some variety into your routine.

Aside: I remember when the Denver Broncos added group mountain biking to their training system to add some variety. Just the thought of those linemen moving their bulk uphill on a bike makes me tired!

I sure hope you're healthy again soon. Please let us know how you're doing from time to time.
    Last edited by Rollin' On; 07-18-2004 at 07:14 PM.

ballbuster

Heck....

yeah i go for some walks when it isn't raining these days..... the main goal right now is for me to get my vision back. The drs have me laying around alot to let the eye heal.
    I try to stay away from the crap food but difficult sometimes
    Don't let the rain stop you. I would suggest you embrace the rain, and learn to enjoy it... at least walking. Biking in the rain can be fun, but too much rain makes it a drag, at least for me.

The trick here is to get out at least two to three times a week. That's minimum. Four to five times a week is better. Just make yourself get out. You don't need to kill yourself in the process, just do enough to get your blood pumping for at least 30 minutes, if not 90. Don't think of it as 'work', think of it as meditation, or getting out, or whatever makes it 'good for you' time.

Another thing that helped me is never buy anything from the store that you should not be eating. If it's around, you'll eat it. I would. Find some good snacky food to keep around like grapes or fruit. I like those flavored yogurts, but they are loaded with sugar. Beats Ho-Hos.

One more thing that helped a lot is keep yourself busy. Find some constructive hobby that sucks all your time, (of course, pay attention to your family). I found when I was bored, I went for the snacks. Now I wrench my bike a lot, plan rides with my buds, work on my web site, wrench the old beater car, work on house projects, etc.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I've lost 42 lbs since April with the South Beach diet. I still want to loose another 40 lbs but I'm very confident I'll make it (eventually). Other things to not eat= bread, pasta, condiments. Also fruits in moderation are fine but they do have a lot of sugar. I would highly reccommend the South Beach Diet book- it was highly educational. By filling up on salad (lettuce,tomatoe,cucumber,bell pepper,mushroom with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar) I don't have to fight huge hunger pangs. Thats the real reason this diet is working for me: I'm not hungry. Good Luck!!!

Scott

banned
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by stavpal
    100km non-stop!!!??? You mean off-road mountain blking and climbing or simply "cruising along the countryside"? Because the best i've done [mountain biking] (non stop also) is 85km (52 miles) but climbing at high altitudes (from 400m to 1100m many times)
    Well, I meant 100k of road riding. That's pretty easy. However, 100k of trail riding would be pretty hard! damn, I've never done that..

I'm one of those guys who only rides the rode bike and only races the mountain bike... so... sorry if I confused anyone.

banned
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollin' On

Fortunately, losing weight doesn't require exercise. Mostly, it's a matter of calories in vs. calories burned. Limit the intake to a level below the burn, and your weight will drop whether you are physically active or not.
    This is mostly true but it doesn't work forever. You can only lose so much weight by just restricting your diet. What happens is if your body thinks it's starving it will slow your matabolism so that it won't lose anymore weight. Weight loss will eventually plateau if you are not exercising. You need to exercise in order to boost your metabolism which will counter this defense mechanism.

jrm
    mtbr member

Congrats..

I quit 9 years ago after having smoked for 23 years. When i first quit i rode alot both on the road and dirt. I then started lifting weights twice a week. Currently i ride around 5 times a week road/dirt and lift twice a week. I think i look and feel good for being an old fart....

Riding free's the mind
    Jan 2004

Takes some time but worth it

Congratulations, asking these questions is the first step in the right direction. I don't think there's any mystery to getting in shape, but I've found in travels around the world, we here in the states have a lot going against us... mainly diet and lifestyle. But with that said, we also have the freedom to change this if we want to.

I think the key to getting into a fitness routine, whether it be biking or some other form of excersise is finding a way and place to consistantly do it. It's the beginning of this new routine that will be the hardest to keep up. Then after you get into the routine, you'll crave your rides and your body will miss it when you skip.

The other key is to learn to eat healthy which means cooking fresh food. The easiest way to NOT to eat right is to get fast food, and most restaurants serve way too big portions for one person. I found in Italy for instance, not only was the food always cooked from fresh farmer's market ingredients, but the portions never had us leaving the table with that "stuffed" feeling- like you need to "roll" out of the restaurant.

I still think it comes down to an active lifestyle, doing more than coming home from work, eating, crashing the couch and watching tv. Though this is easy to do, I guarantee if you sneak in a ride before you relax for the evening, you'll feel like a million bucks that evening and the next day. It's worth it, but you have to go out an do it.

Lastly, if you take up biking, make sure you are properly equipped or your equipment is in working order. Many people own bikes, but few ride them enough to know if they are in good order. Also many that have bikes have ones that are not the right size or not adjusted to fit. Good equipment is key to an enjoyable ride. Heck, maybe go out an buy a new bike- this is modivation in itself to ride more!