Been sick this week, race next week...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Been sick this week, race next week...

I've been struck this week with a nasty sinus/throat infection that has kept me off of the bike during that time. I've got a race next Sunday (16th), is there anything I can do either nutritionally(sp?), or otherwise, to help me recoup my strength and fitness? I was probably due a little break from training but this isn't how I intended it. I'm on the downside of the sickness now and should be able to get back on the bike Sunday. Thanks in advance!

Linoleum Knife

ready-made excuse

I had a similar experience last month. I spent the week prior to a race off the bike driving cross state, sick (nose & throat) and eating funeral food. The first time I got any exercise that week was the day before the race to pre-ride the course.

And I rocked it. Probably the best I've ridden all year. Taking a full week off after a couple months of pre-season riding was probably the best thing I could have done for my legs.

Probably not the best solution, but since you can't really do anything about being sick, there is no reason to add stress.

Besides - if you place low you have a ready-made excuse.

P.S. - Drink lots of water.

XCdude

You will ok, make sure that you are totally healed

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorJD
    I've been struck this week with a nasty sinus/throat infection that has kept me off of the bike during that time. I've got a race next Sunday (16th), is there anything I can do either nutritionally(sp?), or otherwise, to help me recoup my strength and fitness? I was probably due a little break from training but this isn't how I intended it. I'm on the downside of the sickness now and should be able to get back on the bike Sunday. Thanks in advance!
    and do a few power intervals, about 90 seconds each. Do 5 monday, 3 wendsday and 2 on friday. Then a preride on saturday or sooner and a couple of short intervals saturday. This will keep your power up, you should have all the endurance you need by now, look at this as a tapering. Hope for the best ,make sure that you eat proparly. Go and get them.

I had my first sickness taper last year and it worked out great, last race of the year and finished on the box.
    Short bucket list.
    Cape Epic
    Pioneer Epic
    Swiss Epic
    La leyenda del Dorado