mtbr member

anyone use CREATINE to benefit mtnbiking?

I know CREATINE is used more mainly lifting purposes...

But does any use CREATINE besides in the weight room?

Like before a ride, where you know you have lots of short steep hills where its anarobic, less cardio?

What about before a race, would it come in handy then?

Overall what is your impression of creatine??

Thank you!
    Intense Tracer

Trail rider and racer
    Quote Originally Posted by KamikazeBikr

Like before a ride, where you know you have lots of short steep hills where its anarobic, less cardio?

Thank you!
    I don't think creatine would be of any benefit to you at all for cycling - in fact is it of any benefit in any sport? My impression was that there is no benefit to be had - well no evidence supporting it really for cycling or athletics. I bought some and used it for a few weeks when doing really short fast track work (athletics) and found no benefit.
    Trev!

mtbr member
    Last I heard creatine only helps you build up the energy reserves (phosphates) that are used neither in aerobic nor anaerobic exercises - but when you do very short, very intense bursts of energy. The body normally takes 24-48h to replenish this energy source, and apparently creatine helps with that - however, if its not used up, its flushed away by your body, or something like that, and so is mainly useless for most sports except weight lifting and suchlike.

p.s. don't take my word for it - I only HEARD it from someone

mtbr member

Creatine is awesome for some things

I've used creatine off and on for 10 years and think it is great stuff. I admit I primarily used it for lifting and gaining weight without much thought to mountainbiking. When using it I am stronger, can run faster, jump higher and in general am a much better athlete.

However, Creatine does some funny things with your body's hydration. When on it, you should drink a lot of water to get the most benefit You urinate much more often (whether drinking extra water or not) which leads me to believe it may act like a diuretic. At a recent race which occurred when I was on the stuff, I had some serious hydration problems. My lips dried out right away and I got a lot of cramps. I drank even more than usual, but still had the problems. When I rode, however, I rode quite strong. I just had to stop often to relax the cramps. I'd say it would be useful to sprinters and for helping climb hills, but you have to be extra careful to stay hydrated. Maybe avoiding caffine (and any other diuretic) while on it would be a good idea.

I can definitely see where it could help ones riding, but I havn't figured out how to manage hydration for long rides. I think maybe the next time I go on it, I'll intentionally avoid caffine and monitor my water intake more closely.

bleeding eventually stops

Idea! Creatine Don't Work For Riding

Creatine looked very promising in early studies, accounting for increased performance, muscle mass and endurance in some athletes, most notibly football players. But studies in cyclists (Clin Sci 2003 Feb;104(2):153-62) found it only made them bigger, but did not improve their performance or endurance.
    Although high doses of caffeine can be a bad thing, it has been shown to actually be a pretty effective performance enhancing drug. This may be why it's such a common sight to see euro pro roadies sluggin coca-cola during races.(J Pain. 2003 Aug;4(6):316-21)

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thank you!
    http://www.cptips.com/nutmyt.htm

mtbr member
    May 2004
    http://www.absolute-creatine.com/1.htm

lots of good info, basically says that creatine hasn't been as thoroughly tested for endurance training as it has for short intense workouts, so most of the evidence is anecdotal.

My own feeling on it after doing alot of reading is that it probably doesn't hurt, but unless you are really doing alot of pushing up steep grades in a high gear setting, it seems to be better suited to short, power type excercise. Of course this is just my own opinion, but since the long term effects of it haven't been proven I like to stay on the safe side (I think some liver problems have occured with people who took very large amounts of it).
    Last edited by fantom1; 06-12-2004 at 09:50 AM.

No time to ride.
    Eat more protein.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004

be careful

creatine is good for power,including lots of climbing and sprints, it shortens immediate recovery so you can do it again , great for intervals
    but it requires lots of water and you'll feel bloated (one reason body builders think they are getting bigger) also the extra water flooding the muscle can cause tearing without proper warm up--becareful. lots of documentation that proves it.
    and dont take it for longer than a month, because your body naturally produces it and it will forget how to if you supply it too long
    im a personal trainer and have messed around with lots of different suppliments (legal ones) and one thing i noted that many people dont touch base with is it changed my mood dramatically, enough for it to create friction with my girlfriend. i became more snappy and aggitated. so thats when i stopped using it.
    i recommend GLUTIMINE
    been using it for 2 months and have gained lots espec. in the power dept.
    your body makes this amino acid as a fuel for your muscle, but when you suppliment it your muscles recover faster, you can load up before a ride and increase your endurance.
    longer harder rides=stronger rider
    its effects feel similar to creatine but its safer, any your body wont forget how to make it.

Thank you!