Anyone have the KickR or KickR Snap?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

Anyone have the KickR or KickR Snap?

Does anyone train indoors with the KickR or KickR Snap? Do you like it? Does it work well with a mountain bike?

Thanks

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Yes, I own one for almost two years. Works very well with a MTB, supports all axle standards (don't know about boost though). I actually consider riding indoors fun now. An electronically controlled trainer was a game changer for me. I often log 2-4 hours workouts there. I even do some work there, I often have to read stuff. You can do that easily during an "endurance ride".

However, if I was in the market right now I'd probably got a Taxc Neo. Almost silent whereas the Kickr is quite loud. Don't know about the model that is scheduled for this year. Wahoo's customer service is very responsive and helpful. On a downside, you shouldn't rely on Kickr's power readings. I control mine via a powermeter on my bike. This has been a topic for hot debate in forums. My Kickr wattage is about 5% off compared to three bike powermeters. And there is a significant temperature drift, even with the new firmware. So this is a big bummer for me. Especially at this price point.

With three kids in the house and a sports enthuastic wife the Kickr is my ticket to 12-15 hours of training per week.

My pain cave. I use my old 26'' hardtail as a dedicated indoor bike:

mtbr member

I had one for about a year and a half and upgraded to the Tacx Neo. So I have a Neo on a Wahoo mat. quax's comments are correct.

I first had a Kurt Kinetic which has the rear wheel abutting against a roller but with that setup - which is the more common setup - you have to constantly check rear tire pressure, not to mention getting a dedicated indoor trainer rear tire (for my road bike). Also i had to turn a knob to adjust the pressure of the roller against the rear wheel and that would affect power readings. A lot more plug and play with Kickr and Neo as you don't have to worry about these things.

I would add that Zwift races will make your winter training fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '15 Spesh Epic World Cup
    '16 Spesh Crux
    '17 Spesh Epic HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Thanks for the responses. I just found out the my hub is too larger for the Wahoo products. They require 142 mm or shorter, mine is 146 mm. In another forum I just posted this question: Can't I just get a new wheel with a smaller hub size to make it work?

I'll check into the Tacx Neo.

Thanks,

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Ignore my last question about a new wheel. The answer is no. I currently have that question in another thread. Didn't want duplicate topics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg81 View Post
    I had one for about a year and a half and upgraded to the Tacx Neo. So I have a Neo on a Wahoo mat. quax's comments are correct.

I first had a Kurt Kinetic which has the rear wheel abutting against a roller but with that setup - which is the more common setup - you have to constantly check rear tire pressure, not to mention getting a dedicated indoor trainer rear tire (for my road bike). Also i had to turn a knob to adjust the pressure of the roller against the rear wheel and that would affect power readings. A lot more plug and play with Kickr and Neo as you don't have to worry about these things.

I would add that Zwift races will make your winter training fun!

I read that the Tact NEO is like a fluid trainer. The faster you pedal the more resistance. Where the KickR you can to set the resistance via the phone or tablet. How do you figure the Tacx Neo being a upgrade to the KickR? I thought fluid trainers were a down grade?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have a Kicker and love it! It is a touch loud but much better than my older Kurt Kenetic and i trust the power readings more.
    I use trainer road to control it and they have a crazy amount of workouts that go with it. The monthly fee is tough to swallow but makes my winters more sane and safe. You'll see some criticism on some of the "type-A" boards (wattage, slow twitch..this is is u) about responsiveness especially on short interval bursts (5 sec) but the thing is it may respond a .5-1 sec late but it'll end .5-1 second later too so whats the difference?
    I attach my crit bike to it all winter with a big TV infront of it and just go.
    My only critique is set up time (thats what was nice about the kenetic). with trainer road or Zwift its like 3-5 minutes of logging on, turning things on, pairing the kickr with your tablet, getting TR to show up on your big screen and HRM pairing...its a lot. Its not always seamless and sometimes you need to follow a protocol to get it going but it works.
    It is buggy now and then and have had to unplug/reset re-pair a few times but not regularly.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by drew15a View Post
    Thanks for the responses. I just found out the my hub is too larger for the Wahoo products. They require 142 mm or shorter, mine is 146 mm. In another forum I just posted this question: Can't I just get a new wheel with a smaller hub size to make it work?

I'll check into the Tacx Neo.

Thanks,
    Just get a cheap used MTB or road frame, make sure it fits you and have that glued to the kickr for the winter. You could get an old MTB frame and fork (no brand) cheap 10 speed shifter for under 200 usd. I don't even use a front tire i put a step stool under the wheel and it acts as storage and saves space in the torture chamber.
    using your "A" bike on a trainer can be surprisingly stressful on a frame when you look at sweat and tork on your seatpost, and then chain stretch and bottom bracket strass over a winter.

mtbr member
    I have a cycleops powerbeam pro ant+. I really like it, but I'd recommend something that doesn't rely on the bikes wheel and tire. One of the most annoying things is tire slip when trying to put down power.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post
    I have a cycleops powerbeam pro ant+. I really like it, but I'd recommend something that doesn't rely on the bikes wheel and tire. One of the most annoying things is tire slip when trying to put down power.
    Other than slippage...are there any other issues with wheel on models? I was concerned that using a mountain bike tire would create a lot of noise.

Anyone specifically have the newer SNAP model? This wheel on model is so much cheaper than the regular one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Quax pretty much covers it. Couldn't imagine going through winter without it.

Have mine setup with a old SS which makes it a fraction quieter and smoother. Use a combination of TrainerRoad and Wahoo app to control it. Will give Zwift a try when it gets cold.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lahrs; 08-25-2016 at 08:45 PM.

mtbr member
    You're mistaken about the Neo

mtbr member
    May 2007
    More background on smart trainers (the Neo is one) to make the buying decision more complex

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPvaT45sltQ

mtbr member
    For all things electronic, just go to dcrainmaker.com to see what he has to say

mtbr member
    Other than slippage...are there any other issues with wheel on models? I was concerned that using a mountain bike tire would create a lot of noise.

Anyone specifically have the newer SNAP model? This wheel on model is so much cheaper than the regular one.
    I use a trainer tire, which really doesn't make any noise. Biggest issue is that before every ride I have to check air pressure and calibrate the trainer. Calibration takes 2 minutes, but would be nice to skip that part. Have to maintain between 19 - 23 mph for 2 minutes, and some days I'd prefer starting out easier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    just adding to my previous post, I use PerfPro. One time license fee. I hate subscription licenses.

mtbr member

Upshot of Neo is that calibration is not needed, in contrast to the Kickr. But i do notice some slight lag in quickly picking up power changes with my Neo than Kickr when using Trainerroad. That's probably one thing that the Kickr was better in.

I have a dedicated pc for my Neo so I just wake up the pc and its good to go when using Zwift.

I used to use the Trainerroad iPhone app with the Kickr and it worked pretty well without much pre-ride set up before every workout. Occasionally the phone didn't make a Bluetooth connection with the Kickr or some of the other devices like HR meter, and cadence, but all I had to do is to reboot the phone. I think that the connectivity issues arose when using iphone one day and trying to use an ipad on another day.

'15 Spesh Epic World Cup
    '16 Spesh Crux
    '17 Spesh Epic HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Question for the Tacx Neo guys: In order to use all the trainers functions it appears that you need a tablet? Is that correct? That is one thing I've noticed that the KickR does not require.

mtbr member
    I love my wahoo kickr, that being said...I purchased a stages about 6 months before buying the kickr and quickly realized that I could have saved money buy just using a normal trainer since I already have a power meter. I use it with sufferfest videos and its pretty cool because I can leave it in any gear and the resistance automatically adjusts. For example if I leave it in 5th gear and I need to do an interval at 90rpm at 300w all I have to work on is pedaling at 90rpm. I have compared power with the power numbers on my stages and they are pretty close, usually within 5 watts. Since I'm not a pro and will never be one I can live with a 5-10 watt difference. This winter I hope to get on swift but sufferfest quickly became an addiction once I used it on the kickr.
    ChannelMTB Producer and Director and full time bike dreamer.

mtbr member
    Question for the Tacx Neo guys: In order to use all the trainers functions it appears that you need a tablet? Is that correct? That is one thing I've noticed that the KickR does not require.
    I think it depends on what you mean by all the trainer functions. I've never used a tablet with Neo, just used a pc for zwift and Trainerroad. I did use my smartphone to use an app to update the firmware on the Neo. Never used other apps from Tacx, though. There is a Tacx Neo Facebook group... They probably can answer if you don't get an answer here.

'15 Spesh Epic World Cup
    '16 Spesh Crux
    '17 Spesh Epic HT

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    After overthinking it for a while...I went with the KickR. TacX Neo a closer runner up.

mtbr member
    Check out the new Cyclops Hammer direct drive. Does boost 148. Though personally, I just keep a cheap old bike on the trainer.
    Do the math.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    For any of you guys who have the KickR did you have to swap out the Cassettes to match your drive trail? I am currently confused as to how to remove the Cassette without removing the freehub with it. The instructions on Wahoo didn't help me too much. No videos online.

Thanks!