AMP Human PR lotion?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Nov 2005

AMP Human PR lotion?

Got caught up in marketing from a WEDU 'cast. Before spending $35 with coupon, anyone care to share their experiences with https://amphumanperformance.com/

Many say it's a "game changer", I take it with a grain of salt. Maybe the trusted mtbr forum racers say the same or otherwise?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I get a pro deal on it, so take that how you will. It at least made it cheap enough that I decided "why not, I'll try it." With that out of the way, I don't think there is any real science behind it. IIRC, even their site points to a Training Peaks article that talks about **consuming** baking soda, not rubbing it on your legs.

So, do I still use it? Yeah, but I'm pretty sure it's placebo. I only use it on days where I have to go hard, and I wouldn't say I've seen a statistically significant change in my ability to do so with or without it. But, it makes me feel like I can maybe go faster, and in sports science, placebo and caffeine are the two best legal PEDs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I took a look at the website, they have a section with science links and studies that support their product. The first one caught my attention as it was a study specially to address topical products that rely on sodium bicarbonate to reduce body acidity, so basically a study to validate the product.

I tried to access the full text as the abstract is not clear enough on the methodology used and surprise, the study doesn't exist. It apparently exist, but when you search the DOI or PMID which is like the signature to track the study, it links you to another one that talks about something else. So basically they published the abstract, submitted the real one which is a different study and the abstract was left as a resume with nothing else. The authors also have no other studies that talk about topical creams, so it seems they are no experts. It's very shady, it seems at first glance like a forked study, bought even. Curiously the abstract also says the cream had no effect, except at the 15min point, in other words it didn't work.

The science on oral sodium bicarbonate as ergogenic aid however is well established and it does works to an extend, as long as you don't get diarrhea mid race. You are better off using that instead of creams that claim absorption through the skin of sodium bicarbonate in a dose enough to change body levels. That claim by itself is quite remarkable, I am no doctor, but I think it is utter bullshit. To get the same dose as orally you would need a shit ton of lotion and that's assuming your skin lets it through, which may not be the case.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLover View Post
    I took a look at the website, they have a section with science links and studies that support their product. The first one caught my attention as it was a study specially to address topical products that rely on sodium bicarbonate to reduce body acidity, so basically a study to validate the product.

I tried to access the full text as the abstract is not clear enough on the methodology used and surprise, the study doesn't exist. It apparently exist, but when you search the DOI or PMID which is like the signature to track the study, it links you to another one that talks about something else. So basically they published the abstract, submitted the real one which is a different study and the abstract was left as a resume with nothing else. The authors also have no other studies that talk about topical creams, so it seems they are no experts. It's very shady, it seems at first glance like a forked study, bought even. Curiously the abstract also says the cream had no effect, except at the 15min point, in other words it didn't work.

The science on oral sodium bicarbonate as ergogenic aid however is well established and it does works to an extend, as long as you don't get diarrhea mid race. You are better off using that instead of creams that claim absorption through the skin of sodium bicarbonate in a dose enough to change body levels. That claim by itself is quite remarkable, I am no doctor, but I think it is utter bullshit. To get the same dose as orally you would need a shit ton of lotion and that's assuming your skin lets it through, which may not be the case.
    Well done. That is an informed and educated reply. Tried to give you some rep. for it but already had for something else.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Elitest thrill junkie
    I don't know what this product is, but I know enough from my ergonomics and industrial hygiene training to know the skin is a really effective barrier. For something to claim to go through it to your muscles is generally BS. There are a few exceptions, like liquid mercury, but most cumulative absorption of things like metals are due to ingestion, puncture, inhalation, etc. Your skin was designed specifically to keep stuff out.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Your skin was designed specifically to keep stuff out.
    Bingo. I've tried numerous "hail Mary" rub on creams for various things. Besides almost crippling heat from one, I've experienced zero effect.

Possible caveat is DMSO? Scares the shit out of me, but I've got one friend that swears by it, and you CAN buy it at any feed store.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Thanks to all who replied. Well that was easy and money saved.
    Guess I'll try organic beet juice. Local stores have RW Knudsen 32oz for $4.70.

EAT MORE GRIME
    if you want GAINZ!!!! testosterone patches are about it (or any anabolic steroid of small enough molecular volume that can enter though the skin, not all steroids can)

opiate patches also can numb pain so you can ride harder longer but you lose motor skillz and can do lasting damage since you won't be feeling anything

otherwise....meh

drink some bicarb you'll get better effects than on skin anyhow

if you really have to use goop on your skin just use an irritant like embrocation to get the blood moving and warming you up. this works and increases blood supply to the area the bitch cream is applied to
    "Put your seatbelt back on or get out and sit in the middle of that circle of death." - Johnny Scoot