2019 XC Race tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

2019 XC Race tires

Continuation of the 2018 thread.

I am currently waiting for the new Orbea Oiz TR and want to do some XC races on it too, but I haven't ridden XC in about 5 years (ridden enduro, gravel and road), so I don't have any experience when it comes to XC tires. The terrain I will ride will be mostly hardpack and loose over hard in the dry, which is almost everywhere here where I live.
    I am thinking about these combos:
    Maxxis Rekon + Rekon Race, both 2.25 TR EXO (I really like this combo)
    Michelin Force XC, both 2.25 (probably more universal combo than the Maxxis one?)
    Schwalbe Racing Ray + Racing Ralph, both 2.25 Snakeskin (friend rode this combo and says it's great, but I am still not sure about going Schwalbe)

I was also considering Aspen in the rear with Rekon in the front, but Rekon Race is probably better for my use? What do you think? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

2019 XC Race tires

Hardtail:
    Iím running the combo I predicted I would settle with.

Forekaster 2.35 Exo
    Aspen 2.35 Exo

Top fuel:

Still running my party combo. Since this is the bike I ride rowdy Grassroots racing events and do all my shenanigans on.

HANS Dampf 2.35 pacestar
    2.35 NoNo rear

Going down to NoNo front and rear. Maybe see if I can get away with a 2.25 rear without pinch flatting.

NoNo 2.35 SS
    NoNo 2.25 SS

the NoNos weigh all over the map. I have been ordering in 6-7 at a time and may consider selling off the heavier ones. Most of the 2.35s are 770, but I got one at 730 the other day. Most of the 2.25s are 685-705, but I got some at 750!
    Last edited by FJSnoozer; 1 Week Ago at 08:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I would add the Vittoria Mezcal to that list; fast rolling and very good grip and cornering confidence. I think you get a little bigger knobs along with the lower rolling resistance of a smaller knob tire. Downside is they're pretty avg or above avg weight.
    I'm super happy with those again this year, 2 races on them so far, - hole shot on pavement both races is my evidence for fast rolling.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

Always pushing harder!!!
    2018 BMC Fourstroke 01 running on Stan's Crest rims:

1. Onza Svelt 29x2.25 120tpi TR: Wow! I've only used them for about two weeks, and they are awesome!!! They've performed really well in all conditions (no mud) and I'm very impressed with rolling resistance, cornering, grip and profile. I'm gonna buy another set to keep it as a back up

2. Continental Race King 29x2.2 Protection 219 model: ultra fast and great grip if it's dry. Not so in love with the profile. I will use them on dry courses. Very light also!

mtbr member
    Ill likely be running an Ardent Race 2.35 in the rear and a 2.35 Forekaster in the front for this spring. Will be switching back to a Mezcal rear, Barzo front when races kick off.

Shwalbe recently dropped a new XC tire, I haven't looked much into it though because Scwalbes don't last on my local trails.

mtbr member

2019 XC Race tires

I was just going to post on this haha.

Im finding my xr2 2.2 squirms in the hard corners. Also my trails are like packed clay you can ride cx bikes on. Just when i leave the province i could put the big volumes on for rocks and such.

Maybe 2Ē-2.1Ē tires would be better for climbing and a 60 tpi or stiffer sidewall tire would be better?

Dual fast track 2.1s? Dual ikons? Dual aspens?

Something that flys but has hard corner lugs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    I was just going to post on this haha.

Im finding my xr2 2.2 squirms in the hard corners. Also my trails are like packed clay you can ride cx bikes on. Just when i leave the province i could put the big volumes on for rocks and such.

Maybe 2Ē-2.1Ē tires would be better for climbing and a 60 tpi or stiffer sidewall tire would be better?

Dual fast track 2.1s? Dual ikons? Dual aspens?

Something that flys but has hard corner lugs.

2.25 Aspen

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    2.25 Aspen

+1 I've ran Ikon F and R for a number of years but I like the 2.25 Aspen better. Good grip and rolls faster in my opinion.
    My Team: Feedback Sports Racing

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I would not recommend the Michelin force xc. I havenít ridden it, only the wild am and force am and judging by what Michelin and others say the force XC is mostly a lighter weight version of the force am. Itís not a bad tire itís just there are better options. Itís not really xc rubber.

The schwalbe combo is good, and the mezcal is good too (but heavier). Supposedly the new Vitoria rubber is supposed to be amazing (according to them) so that might be interesting. The barzo could be a good option if itís on the looser side of things.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    For Michigan XC trails (Lower Peninsula) hard pack under slightly loose/sandy, low amount rocks/roots to speak of, I'm sold on Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.25 SpeedGrip Snakeskin. Fast, great traction, no worries. I'd love to try 2.25 Aspens and Rekon Race out, but I'll hold off until the Ron's get trashed.

25mm internal 29er rim on Full Suspension Spec Epic, FWIW

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by litany View Post
    I would not recommend the Michelin force xc. I havenít ridden it, only the wild am and force am and judging by what Michelin and others say the force XC is mostly a lighter weight version of the force am. Itís not a bad tire itís just there are better options. Itís not really xc rubber.
    In what way do you mean that it's not really xc rubber? Too slow? Too stiff carcass? I have the recent Michelin Wild Enduros on my enduro bike and they are great, but I am probably the only one riding Michelin tires on a bike in my region , so no experience with XC tires from them.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Too slow. Itís the same rubber as wild am. Iíve done rolldown tests and the wild am and force am weíre the same rolling resistance. Which is significantly more than mezcal, etc. itís very similar to an aggressor for instance.

For most of my XC situations (hardback, loose over hard) I think the faster combo is the lower rolling resistance one as the grip is less important and is good enough with my schwalbe.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Any experience with 2.6" options? I have had a 2.6 Mezcal, which was pretty nice rolling and good cornering grip. Then the grip fell off a cliff at ~500mi, so want to try something different. Looking at xr2.

Edit:
    My list of available 29x2.6 fast xc options:
    Mezcal
    Barzo
    xr2
    Fast Trak (though this is only a 2.4 apparently)
    Ikon
    Forekaster
    Kenda Sabre Pro
    Teravail Cumberland (xc fast?)

Wishlist for the future:
    Aspen
    Ardent Race
    True 2.6 fast trak

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Try the forekasters! I bet you would absolutely love them.

mtbr member
    Try the forekasters! I bet you would absolutely love them.
    If you're telling me, then I have to tell you that the stock tires on my Oiz will be Forekaster 2.35 in the front and Ardent Race 2.2 in the rear and I will definitely ride these during spring, but I want faster tires for racing, because most of our races are not very technical.

Rides all the bikes!
    Just ordered a pair of SWorks Fastrack 2.3. We'll see how they get along!

mtbr member
    2.25 Aspen

Hard to find, found some 2.1s tho?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

2019 XC Race tires

Quote Originally Posted by solarplex View Post
    Hard to find, found some 2.1s tho?

29?

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...o-casing-black

Almost no bike shops ever carry the tires I run so I have to order online.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Does anyone use Bontrager tyres? Iíve been using the xr1 for years and have also used the xr3. I find them to be very reliable and they seem to grip ok. Iíve also used Ralphís a lot over the years and Iíd say they have a touch more cornering grip but Iíve found mounting them tubeless to be hit and miss whereas Bontys always go up first time.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Love Bontrager tyres.

In my Weenie days I wouldn't give them a look due to weight only but there are so few genuine light tyre options nowadays and all have gained weight so that is kind of irrelevant now.

XR1, XR2 and XR3 and both around 680g real weight in the 2.25. Any Maxxis XC tyre in EXO is going to be around that. By comparison a 2.0 Spec Renegade or 2.1 Ikon is around 100g less but both are a floppy mess of a tyre and I can't stand the thinner spec/ Maxxis sidewalls.

There is of course much more to a tyre than hanging them on a scale. The Bonty sidewalls are the perfect IMO. Loads of support and durability without being too thick and adding too much weight. As above, they have been the easiest tyre to install and set up tubeless IME too. Grip is excellent and they last ages too. No nonsense, dependable tyres.

mtbr member
    I recently put a Tioga Fast 13 size 2.10 tire on my XC bike for a gravel ride. Was great on gravel and pavement. Forgot to take it off for my XC/trail rides and found that it handled very well out back and makes the bike feel much faster.

Tire was installed in rear only.

I know a lot of people are going to wider rims and bigger tires but I am now a big fan of a smaller, fast rolling, tire in the back. Was riding 2.35 Forekaster Front and rear and will use FK front and Tioga R for my XC set up.

these tires are like $30 on ebay or 2 for $55. Much less than other brands (if your on a budget)

I did have one burp the first ride and lost air so I resealed the bead on the rim and no issues since. They are 2.10 size / tubeless and around 680 grams

Tioga site:
    Fast 13 ‚Äď Tioga

Ebay site:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-or-2-Pak-...RVOAd6sYSUD9hQ

I Like Maxxis and Bontrager tires as well. Running 2.6 Forekaster on my LT bike for a front tire. Running Bontrager XR2 on my singlespped.

mtbr member
    29?

https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/pro...o-casing-black

Almost no bike shops ever carry the tires I run so I have to order online.
    Got some 2.1s for $40 each cnd. 120tpi. They are 540g. Light as my 40mm panaracer gravelkings. Going to fly.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Pinkbike has a pictorial of Kate Courtney's new Scott. It was set up with 2.25 Rekon Race tires on 30mm inner width wheels. I guess 30mm is the new standard for XC wheels?
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/bike-c...-spark-rc.html

mtbr member
    I feel like tire size is pretty dependant on course and race type. If I were doing a shorter race in a place like parts of Texas where there is basically nothing but fast, flat singletrack then id be ok with 2.1-2.25 fast tires. On the flip side, ill be doing Mohican 100 on a rigid SS and will be running a bare minimum of 2.35s. The extra cushion and comfort from a bigger tire helps tremendously over that amount of miles (on a rigid bike anyways).

Im glad there are so many fast rolling xc tires in bigger sizes these days.

mtbr member
    Race a pair of Maxxis Rekon Race 2.35s this weekend at the True Grit Epic. Really liked them for rocky desert racing. In the past at the TGE I have raced Ikon 2.2s. The RR 2.35s seemed to roll at least as fast, but had more cornering traction and a more comfortable ride for a longer race.
    Can't keep track anymore - Giant, Santa Cruz, Pivot, Yeti, Norco, Salsa, Intense - if it rolls on dirt I like it

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Has anyone got their hands on the new Vittoria tyres yet? Looks like the whole range is uodated

2018 Epic

Procaliber- sold
    ASR-C- sold
    ARC Carbon- sold
    SB-95C- play bike- sold

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by m3bas View Post
    Has anyone got their hands on the new Vittoria tyres yet? Looks like the whole range is uodated

https://www.competitivecyclist.com/v...-xcr-tire-29in

And they come in gumwall now!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    I would add the Vittoria Mezcal to that list; fast rolling and very good grip and cornering confidence. I think you get a little bigger knobs along with the lower rolling resistance of a smaller knob tire. Downside is they're pretty avg or above avg weight.
    I'm super happy with those again this year, 2 races on them so far, - hole shot on pavement both races is my evidence for fast rolling.
    Front and rear?

mtbr member
    Still a big Schwalbe fan. My race day setup is Racing Ralph 2.25 Addix Speed Snakeskin on the front, Thunder Burt 2.25 Addix Speed Snakeskin rear. I'm a BIG fan of the TB. Super fast rolling and better than expected cornering.

Currently running Maxxis Rekon Race 2.35 front and Maxxis Ikon 2.35 rear to try something different. I haven't spent much time on them yet, but so far, so good but i doubt my race day setup will change.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by westin View Post
    Front and rear?
    Vittoria Mezcal front and rear has worked for me until it gets really loose/sandy then I throw a Barzo up front. I'll probably be running the Barzos for when its loose or I'm racing somewhere new, and Mezcal for hardpack. That's been a pretty good combo for me last couple years. I'm in their test group for 2019 so I'll try their new Graphene 2.0 compounds once I'm through my current stock. The Terreno 2.25 looks interesting/scary for a rear option...

I briefly ran 2.2 Kenda Saber Pros and liked them, just slashed one strangely after a few rides. I'd try them again sometime, right now I've got one on the front of my Top Fuel with a 2.1 Thunder Burt on the back for a recent short track race. Talk about fast rolling...
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by csteven71 View Post
    Gumwall does not have TNT sidewall protection, if that matters.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Gumwall does not have TNT sidewall protection, if that matters.
    Yeah, they're going to have to expand some of the sizes and sidewall options. For example, I sometimes ride a lighter casing tire in the front and heavier reinforced casing in the rear, which would involve running a gumwall and anthracite wall in these new ones which is gonna look goofy. Same for 2.25 vs 2.35; they should visually match IMO.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I used Ardent Race all last year and really wasnt happy with them. Confidence just wasnt there. I think I want to go back to Ikons this year, although playing w/ the idea of a Forekaster up front and an Ikon out back. Maybe not super fast rolling, but hoping it ups the cornering ability. I felt like the Ardents were squirmy. I dunno.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesT-XYZ View Post
    Still a big Schwalbe fan. My race day setup is Racing Ralph 2.25 Addix Speed Snakeskin on the front, Thunder Burt 2.25 Addix Speed Snakeskin rear. I'm a BIG fan of the TB. Super fast rolling and better than expected cornering.
    Currently running Maxxis Rekon Race 2.35 front and Maxxis Ikon 2.35 rear to try something different. I haven't spent much time on them yet, but so far, so good but i doubt my race day setup will change.
    I haven't ridden TBs in a few years now, but how do you compare the height of the center knobs between the TBs and the Rekon Races?

mtbr member
    Pending the race conditions:

Dry
    F: Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35
    R: Maxxis Aspen 2.25

Wet/Damp:
    F: Maxxis Forekaster 2.35
    R: Maxxis Ardent Race 2.35

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Re: No sidewall protection on the gumwalls. Yeah I noticed that after. Thatís sad.
    Last edited by csteven71; 1 Week Ago at 03:17 PM. Reason: Meant to quote

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Marshall View Post
    I haven't ridden TBs in a few years now, but how do you compare the height of the center knobs between the TBs and the Rekon Races?
    The Rekon Race center knobs are comparable to the Racing Ralph in height, where as the TB is closer to a true racing slick, very low profile center and transition knobs. In hero dirt conditions it's a stupid fast tire.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris(NJ) View Post
    I used Ardent Race all last year and really wasnt happy with them. Confidence just wasnt there. I think I want to go back to Ikons this year, although playing w/ the idea of a Forekaster up front and an Ikon out back. Maybe not super fast rolling, but hoping it ups the cornering ability. I felt like the Ardents were squirmy. I dunno.
    Same here. The only reason I ever run an Ardent Race is because it rolls fast and the EXO holds up really well on my local trails. Its an awful tire as far as grip though, same goes for the regular Ardent imo. I was happy running Barzo/Mezcal until my local trails absolutely destroyed a Mezcal last season. Im still convinced they did something to the TNT to make it less hardy...

Its a crapshoot for me locally either way. EXO holds up well here but I'm honestly not a huge fan of Maxxis. Even on my big bike, people go crazy for the Minions and I refuse to run the things... I am forever switching out tires looking for that magic bullet.

mtbr member
    Adding on to my above statement, has anyone ran a Vittoria Peyote? It comes in the side I prefer (2.35) with the TnT sidewall. Looks like a great tire, I'm curious why I hear so much about the Mezcal and not this? Maybe because the Mezcal is more versatile (mixed conditions vs dry hardpack/chunky terrain on the Peyote)?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I too have never loved the Ardent Race, particularly on the front. I think it is best suited as rear tire in the hot summer months. I think it works decent, for an XC tire, in the loose and it seems to be quite durable.

As a grippier XC front tire the forecaster is really good, a bit of rolling penalty but not a lot of rolling resistance from a front tire.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    I too have never loved the Ardent Race, particularly on the front. I think it is best suited as rear tire in the hot summer months. I think it works decent, for an XC tire, in the loose and it seems to be quite durable.

As a grippier XC front tire the forecaster is really good, a bit of rolling penalty but not a lot of rolling resistance from a front tire.
    What do you like as a rear for an aggressive XC tire below 2.4 with EXO?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Panasonic Driver Pro
    Under 600 grams without being too fragile.
    The tread is super FAST, but still feels confident.
    TTUB - Ventura County California

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TTUB View Post
    Panasonic Driver Pro
    Under 600 grams without being too fragile.
    The tread is super FAST, but still feels confident.
    Panaracer? What size to get under 600?

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    What do you like as a rear for an aggressive XC tire below 2.4 with EXO?
    when you say "Aggressive XC tire" to you mean burly/knobby or the exact opposite?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney's Frozen Head View Post
    when you say "Aggressive XC tire" to you mean burly/knobby or the exact opposite?
    Allow me poetic license, if you will: team manager or coach secretly plots 2 or 3 "A Races" without telling you where they were, and you can only mount one tire (but swap it out for a fresh one). All you know about the races is: one is smooth non technical old school XC with lots of climbing, one is a 40 miler in the summer where it's dry/loose over hard with long fast cornering descents, and the last race is a 100 miler with lots of rocks or roots and a smattering of creek crossings....what rear tire would you pick?

All 3 races hold equal points toward the championship.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by SingleSpeedSteven View Post
    Adding on to my above statement, has anyone ran a Vittoria Peyote? It comes in the side I prefer (2.35) with the TnT sidewall. Looks like a great tire, I'm curious why I hear so much about the Mezcal and not this? Maybe because the Mezcal is more versatile (mixed conditions vs dry hardpack/chunky terrain on the Peyote)?
    I just received a set of 2.35 Peyotes, but haven't installed them yet. I was wondering the same thing you were, why is the Mezcal mentioned so often? I rode 2.35 Mezcals front and rear last year, for the first time, and wasn't crazy about the rear traction. I've been visiting the Vittoria website recently looking to see if their Agarro prototype tire is going to make it to production, and that's where I saw the Peyote for the first time. Doing some Internet searching, I found out the Peyote is not a new tire. To me, the Peyote has a much more sensible thread pattern for general use, which is why I bought 'em. Time will tell...

mtbr member
    Feb 2017

2019 XC Race tires

Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post

Agree on the Forekaster. Had one come on my Element last year 2.35 got a good 3k miles out of that tire with zero cuts or issues. Got a Rekon on front now though.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fitzhenry View Post
    Agree on the Forekaster. Had one come on my Element last year 2.35 got a good 3k miles out of that tire with zero cuts or issues. Got a Rekon on front now though.

How is the Rekon so far? Can you compare it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Panaracer? What size to get under 600?
    29 x 2.2
    TTUB - Ventura County California

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Allow me poetic license, if you will: team manager or coach secretly plots 2 or 3 "A Races" without telling you where they were, and you can only mount one tire (but swap it out for a fresh one). All you know about the races is: one is smooth non technical old school XC with lots of climbing, one is a 40 miler in the summer where it's dry/loose over hard with long fast cornering descents, and the last race is a 100 miler with lots of rocks or roots and a smattering of creek crossings....what rear tire would you pick?

All 3 races hold equal points toward the championship.
    gotcha, I've been really happy w/ the Forekaster up front Aspen (allegedly available soon in 29x2.35 exo) in the back. I won't run an aspen if I suspect lots of sharp tread slicing rocks but that's based more on "fear" than experience.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Just got my Mezcal Graphene version 2.0 in, 29x2.25 weighs in at 696-700g each. Old Mezcal TNT g+ 2.25 is 760g on my scale so that's a decent saving. Sidewalls didn't feel noticably more skimpy, still far more substantial than Sworks/schwalbes etc. I'll try to mount them up this weekend and see how they shake out.2019 XC Race tires-img_20190314_094308.jpg
    2019 XC Race tires-img_20190314_094826.jpg

Formerly of Kent

2019 XC Race tires

Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    Just got my Mezcal Graphene version 2.0 in, 29x2.25 weighs in at 696-700g each. Old Mezcal TNT g+ 2.25 is 760g on my scale so that's a decent saving. Sidewalls didn't feel noticably more skimpy, still far more substantial than Sworks/schwalbes etc. I'll try to mount them up this weekend and see how they shake out.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190314_094308.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	234.0 KB 
ID:	1242146
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190314_094826.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	1242147
    TNT or TLR?

Edit: the pics didnít show up until I posted. Weird. Skinwall only available in TLR, right?

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yeah XC Race is supposed to be non reinforced, XC Trail is the reinforced version. XC Race sidewalls feel about as thick and stiff as the old TNT ones to me, we'll see how they work. I get plenty of sharp coral rock down here in South Florida so that'll be a test.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Marshall View Post
    I just received a set of 2.35 Peyotes, but haven't installed them yet. I was wondering the same thing you were, why is the Mezcal mentioned so often? I rode 2.35 Mezcals front and rear last year, for the first time, and wasn't crazy about the rear traction. I've been visiting the Vittoria website recently looking to see if their Agarro prototype tire is going to make it to production, and that's where I saw the Peyote for the first time. Doing some Internet searching, I found out the Peyote is not a new tire. To me, the Peyote has a much more sensible thread pattern for general use, which is why I bought 'em. Time will tell...
    I don't think the Peyote had the newer Graphene compound previously? Was thinking similar when I was looking them up, now its updated looks a good option. Keen to hear feedback
    2018 Epic

Procaliber- sold
    ASR-C- sold
    ARC Carbon- sold
    SB-95C- play bike- sold

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Yeah XC Race is supposed to be non reinforced, XC Trail is the reinforced version. XC Race sidewalls feel about as thick and stiff as the old TNT ones to me, we'll see how they work. I get plenty of sharp coral rock down here in South Florida so that'll be a test.
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the tire. I just ordered ikons again, but may try these mezcals out if the reviews come back positive. Always fun to try new tires out

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the tire. I just ordered ikons again, but may try these mezcals out if the reviews come back positive. Always fun to try new tires out
    Ikons are probably my least favorite tire of all time. Vague casing, slow rolling, square profile on even skinny rims, unpredictable break away. I went from Ikons to renegades and considered it an upgrade in every way (and running renegades at my skill/weight is considered suicide by many).

I've run the Mezcal before over the last 2 years and really liked them, especially as a rear. This new version is just a casing and compound upgrade supposedly, tread is unchanged to the naked eye. Mezcal up front is great in hardpack conditions, but as soon as it got loose/muddy/sandy they would wash on me. Still miles better than Ikons, but I felt like the knobs were a little too tight maybe? Throw a Barzo up front (aka conti xking clone) and ready to party.

So yeah, I'm interested to see how these new ones work out, having run them in the past and liked them for certain conditions. I'll be interest to see if their useful range expands more into the loose/sandy/marbles/muddy conditions where I was grabbing a more open tread before. Plus the skinwall looks dope, right?

Rod
    mtbr member
    Ikons are probably my least favorite tire of all time. Vague casing, slow rolling, square profile on even skinny rims, unpredictable break away. I went from Ikons to renegades and considered it an upgrade in every way (and running renegades at my skill/weight is considered suicide by many).

I've run the Mezcal before over the last 2 years and really liked them, especially as a rear. This new version is just a casing and compound upgrade supposedly, tread is unchanged to the naked eye. Mezcal up front is great in hardpack conditions, but as soon as it got loose/muddy/sandy they would wash on me. Still miles better than Ikons, but I felt like the knobs were a little too tight maybe? Throw a Barzo up front (aka conti xking clone) and ready to party.

So yeah, I'm interested to see how these new ones work out, having run them in the past and liked them for certain conditions. I'll be interest to see if their useful range expands more into the loose/sandy/marbles/muddy conditions where I was grabbing a more open tread before. Plus the skinwall looks dope, right?
    We all have different opinions on tires, but I love the Ikons. I feel the exact opposite of how you describe the Ikons. If you can run renegades you obviously have bike handling skills. Maybe it's the difference in soil types or size of the tire. I like renegades too. I use those for our smooth courses.
    There is not much choice between rotten apples.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    What about Rekons 2,25 (not race version) front and rear? Is rekon faster than Ikon?

Rides all the bikes!
    Put on a pair of SWorks Fastrak 2.3's. I only weighed one, it was 590g! Should have dropped roughly a pound compared to the Ground Control I had one.

Can't give a fair report on the tires. The Bonelli course is really hard packed. No loose over anything. I do think I had too much pressure, but that's my fault and not the tire.

mtbr member
    Does anyone know if the variation in width between Vittoria tire models has changed?

I have a Barzo and Mezcal, both 2.25, currently paired as a Front/Rear, respectively. The Barzo measures narrower than the Mezcal. It messes with my head. I want my front tire to be wider.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarhead View Post
    What about Rekons 2,25 (not race version) front and rear? Is rekon faster than Ikon?
    This will be completely dependent upon rider and course.

This is completely immeasurable.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    Does anyone know if the variation in width between Vittoria tire models has changed?

I have a Barzo and Mezcal, both 2.25, currently paired as a Front/Rear, respectively. The Barzo measures narrower than the Mezcal. It messes with my head. I want my front tire to be wider.
    Yes, but the "narrower" Barzo will still provide better turning grip than the "wider" Mezcal. The reason some run a wider front is for better turning grip and you already have that due to the knob design.

mtbr member
    So where do the Rocket Rons fall nowadays?

I have them on my 10y/o 27.5 because they were light (though 80 grams over the claimed weight) with what looked to be a decent tread. Is there anything else I should be looking at for Socal conditions? I want fast rolling but also want to give her confidence as she gets faster and stronger. I've seen some kids on thunder burts but not sure about them.

Kenda is a sponsor of the Ca. MTB series that we're racing now, as well as Over the Hump that we do in summer, anything from them?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by MXIV424 View Post
    So where do the Rocket Rons fall nowadays?

I have them on my 10y/o 27.5 because they were light (though 80 grams over the claimed weight) with what looked to be a decent tread. Is there anything else I should be looking at for Socal conditions? I want fast rolling but also want to give her confidence as she gets faster and stronger. I've seen some kids on thunder burts but not sure about them.

Kenda is a sponsor of the Ca. MTB series that we're racing now, as well as Over the Hump that we do in summer, anything from them?
    I just got a thunderburt rear and RR front, I was gonna get the Rocket Ron time ago but couldn't find any and suddenly found some ultra cheap thunderburts, If I like it might as well stock them up for the rear.

I was using race king rear and RR front, wanted to try the rocket ron front.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Iím going to give rocket rons a try for races this year. Checks all boxes-light (even with snakeskin), fast rolling, decent knobs, decent volume. I know they are not the longest lasting but thatís okay. Weíll see

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MXIV424 View Post

I ran the Saber Pro SCT 2.2 for a bit, just under 600g and more grip than you'd expect looking at them. Actually got one on the front of the bike now to save some weight at a Short Track race a few weeks back, did good loose over hard and spins up fast. Don't have a ton of miles on em but look like a good hardpack option.