2019 XC Race tires - Page 3- Mtbr.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Isn't this thread about XC Race tires?

Why is anyone putting XC Race tires on their bike that weigh more than 650 grams?

Rocket Rons, which are one of the fastest tires on the market weigh between 550g and 590 grams for 2.25. They also perform in the damp, dry, leaves, wet roots, wet, and rocks.

Are you putting these fat ass Vittoria tires on to "race" or just ride your bike around?

And if so, where is it that you are racing that you need a heavier tire (by 100 grams) versus a lighter tire?

Please tell me what I am missing.

And, I've had a Barzo and Peyote. Nothing special at all. Here is a picture of that junk on my SS.
    2019 XC Race tires-20170411_130503-1-.jpg
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Zerort View Post

Why is anyone putting XC Race tires on their bike that weigh more than 650 grams?

Rocket Rons, which are one of the fastest tires on the market weigh between 550g and 590 grams for 2.25. They also perform in the damp, dry, leaves, wet roots, wet, and rocks.

Are you putting these fat ass Vittoria tires on to "race" or just ride your bike around?

And if so, where is it that you are racing that you need a heavier tire (by 100 grams) versus a lighter tire?

And, I've had a Barzo and Peyote. Nothing special at all.
    "Fat ass?" LOL!!! #RocketRonPurist

Anyways what can you say about Bontrager XR2s? I am considering them instead of Rocket Rons & would like an idea of how\if they match up...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

And, I've had a Barzo and Peyote. Nothing special at all. Here is a picture of that junk on my SS.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170411_130503 (1).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	1295987
    Northwest Arkansas trails makes mincemeat out of Schwable XC tires. Poor puncture protection and fast wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoods View Post
    Northwest Arkansas trails makes mincemeat out of Schwable XC tires. Poor puncture protection and fast wearing.

Not the snakeskin versions.

Still lighter than those Vittorias.

But ride.....errr race whatever you want.
    by Silentfoe
    I'm satisfied knowing that what I wear during my "day" job makes me more of a man than you'll ever be.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Rocket ron snakeskin 2.25 are light but not under 600 grams.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Rocket Ron snakeskins are paper tyres compared to Vittoria Mezcal TNT-s. With SnakeSkin Rocket Rons I've had a lot of punctures (some fatal, requiring inserting a tube), they burp too easily when running low pressure and cornering aggressively. Two seasons of racing with single pair Mezcals - 0 punctures, 0 burps, all while running lower pressure than Rocket Rons would allow on the same rims. Screw the weight, I've lost more time on Rocket Rons with all the issues they have and just having general lack of confidence when riding on difficult terrain than I've lost by running heavier Mezcals. I absoloutely can count on my Mezcals to do their job and not **** up my race.
    Unless it's mudfest, then it's game over

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

2019 XC Race tires

Not the snakeskin versions.

Still lighter than those Vittorias.

But ride.....errr race whatever you want.
    I have destroyed several snakeskin tires on these trails. The rubber compound is very soft (which Iím sure aids in traction). Pop a new tire on, go for a 30 mile ride (or race since you are particular) on the Back 40 and inspect the tire afterwards. You will see noticeable wear on the lugs and lots of nicks and scrapes.

However I will say I love the 24Ē Rocket Ron for my sonís bike. He runs those at 15 psi and hasnít had a single issue all year. I think the softer compound is perfect for his 60# weight.

I think Schwable makes a very high performance race tire for the right course conditions; they just havenít worked for me.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=tgoods;14453669]Pop a new tire on, go for a 30 ride (or race since you are particular) and inspect the tire afterwards. You will see noticeable wear on the lugs and lots of nicks and scrapes./QUOTE]

Please rename this thread:

Tires I want to use all year and sometimes do a race on them.

Race tires for any type of motorsports, or cycling aren't meant to last.

So I guess either pony up, or ride heavy tires you use for racing.
    by Silentfoe

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    I have destroyed several snakeskin tires on these trails. The rubber compound is very soft (which Iím sure aids in traction). Pop a new tire on, go for a 30 mile ride (or race since you are particular) on the Back 40 and inspect the tire afterwards. You will see noticeable wear on the lugs and lots of nicks and scrapes.
    I think Schwable makes a very high performance race tire for the right course conditions; they just havenít worked for me.

I've got a Schwalbe Snakeskin Addix Speed from the parts bin I'll be putting on the back once this Vittoria gets worn down. Back 40 is my backyard loop, we'll see if it breaks my Schwalbe lifespan record of 400 miles before knob failure (doubt it). Had too many failures on Schwalbes to race them, though this will be the first of the new Addix compound so maybe it's better

Vittorias are taking an absolute beating and zero issues. Back 40, Fitzgerald blacks, Lake Leatherwood DH, Coler, Slaughter Pen, Lil Sugar, eating it up. Corner knob wear commensurate with the center knob wear on the rear, Front looks new after 450 miles. Casing taking some cuts but still rolling, moving to inserts and dropping 4# out of the tires probably helps.
    -DC, just some XC Bum from FL in NW Arkansas

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    [QUOTE=Zerort;14453673]
    Pop a new tire on, go for a 30 ride (or race since you are particular) and inspect the tire afterwards. You will see noticeable wear on the lugs and lots of nicks and scrapes./QUOTE]

Haha... yeah I like to ride the tires I race on so I can experiment with their traction limits and optimize air pressure settings. Also the minimum amount of tire changing is preferred. #casualracer

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Good point. I might race Schwalbes if someone else was buying them then pitch em cause they're spent. Roll fast, grip is decent, weight is good. I just can't afford $180 per race. Came from racing cars, the days of shaved and heat cycled track tires are in the past for me. Not rich enough for that game, not fast enough for someone else to buy em for me.
    -DC, just some XC Bum from FL in NW Arkansas

Rides all the bikes!
    I podiumed a race as a "local pro" using an 850+g Hans Dampf.

Light doesn't equal fast. Light equals light. If you flat, or can't carry any speed on a loose course, your fast fireroad climbing tires won't get you to the finish faster. I was dead last on the initial fireroad climb on that race.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I guess I'm the lone Schwalbe fan boi. I run the brand exclusively. Have since I got back into bikes 6 years ago.

The only ones I had a problem with are the 1st Gen rocket Ron 2.8 snakeskin. I had constant snake bites and flats in the rear.
    Running a 2.1 racing Ralph on the rear of my 130mm trail bike. Just laid down the fastest time of the year on my favorite 7 mile loop. Trail just had a massive leaf drop. Inches of dry slick leaves in the corners and completely covered the knar.
    Under those conditions I had the Ray come out from under me 1 time but I was still able to catch it. The Mary up front didn't didn't come loose once.

I ride to and from the trail 12 miles each way some gravel some asphalt and can't say they wear fast I get a good 8 months on them typically.

I am 140lbs and a smooth rider maybe that and the rear travel are the reason I'm getting more out of less?

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Van Deventer View Post
    I guess I'm the lone Schwalbe fan boi. I run the brand exclusively. Have since I got back into bikes 6 years ago.

The only ones I had a problem with are the 1st Gen rocket Ron 2.8 snakeskin. I had constant snake bites and flats in the rear.
    Running a 2.1 racing Ralph on the rear of my 130mm trail bike. Just laid down the fastest time of the year on my favorite 7 mile loop. Trail just had a massive leaf drop. Inches of dry slick leaves in the corners and completely covered the knar.
    Under those conditions I had the Ray come out from under me 1 time but I was still able to catch it. The Mary up front didn't didn't come loose once.

I ride to and from the trail 12 miles each way some gravel some asphalt and can't say they wear fast I get a good 8 months on them typically.

I am 140lbs and a smooth rider maybe that and the rear travel are the reason I'm getting more out of less?
    How soft is the Mary? (what does it feel like? how does it roll?)

I like Schwalbe & would like to use Marys, but I fear they may be too soft... What is the softest compound you'd advise for a rear tyre with tarmac use? (tarmac because I want tyres that can be use on roads as much as offroad)

Thanks...

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXooo View Post
    How soft is the Mary? (what does it feel like? how does it roll?)

I like Schwalbe & would like to use Marys, but I fear they may be too soft... What is the softest compound you'd advise for a rear tyre with tarmac use? (tarmac because I want tyres that can be use on roads as much as offroad)

Thanks...
    I use the soft/orange addix Mary. To me it doesn't feel draggy and being on the front rolling resistance doesn't matter as much. I commute to work and ride to the trail head and the mm soft does surprisingly well.

As far as rear I wouldn't run a addix soft on the rear of anything that sees tarmac use. I stick to speed grip/speed compounds.

But ya Mm soft feels amazing the damping the way it feels on rocks etc is very addictive. I'm currently chasing xc/downcountry (don't flame ) type koms and still won't let go of that Mary.

I may get desperate though and change out my ribbon coil for a fox 34 and maybe at that point I will try a racing Ray 2.35 speed grip because they don't make it in soft which is a bummer. That would take off 1.75lbs.

Unfortunately all my local trail koms are held by a gravel/cyclocross pro and the thought of him prancing thru the gnar with his bike on his shoulder bothers me.

Formerly of Kent
    I use the soft/orange addix Mary. To me it doesn't feel draggy and being on the front rolling resistance doesn't matter as much. I commute to work and ride to the trail head and the mm soft does surprisingly well.

As far as rear I wouldn't run a addix soft on the rear of anything that sees tarmac use. I stick to speed grip/speed compounds.

But ya Mm soft feels amazing the damping the way it feels on rocks etc is very addictive. I'm currently chasing xc/downcountry (don't flame ) type koms and still won't let go of that Mary.

I may get desperate though and change out my ribbon coil for a fox 34 and maybe at that point I will try a racing Ray 2.35 speed grip because they don't make it in soft which is a bummer. That would take off 1.75lbs.

Unfortunately all my local trail koms are held by a gravel/cyclocross pro and the thought of him prancing thru the gnar with his bike on his shoulder bothers me.
    Have you ever considered that maybe he's riding his bike, and not "prancing thru the gnar"? And that maybe, he's just faster than you, up and down?

This sound similar to people who think that XC bikes aren't used on "actual trails".
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019

Okay what size & diameter MM are you running & what rim width?

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Okay what size & diameter MM are you running & what rim width?
    29 2.35 28mm iw.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Have you ever considered that maybe he's riding his bike, and not "prancing thru the gnar"? And that maybe, he's just faster than you, up and down?

This sound similar to people who think that XC bikes aren't used on "actual trails".
    He is faster then me. My trails are xc with random gnar thrown in. And this one has a 1/2 mile gravel section connecting the trail between section 1 and 2.

He has 26 seconds on me in section 1which is .7 mile and I am flying thru that so he is a beast to do that on a gravel bike no doubt.
    But there are technical climbs there is no way he's doing on a gravel bike.

And a side note the trail received 25 inches of rain in may and is not the same trail that he set kom on which was April 2018 perfect weather and no leaves.

But I'm 45 he's 25 so I might never catch him.

Doesn't mean I'll stop trying.

Maybe 25 years ago xc was not run on real trails but I don't think that's the case anymore.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    He is faster then me. My trails are xc with random gnar thrown in. And this one has a 1/2 mile gravel section connecting the trail between section 1 and 2.

He has 26 seconds on me in section 1 which is .7 mile and I am flying thru that so he is a beast to do that on a gravel bike no doubt.
    But there are technical climbs there is no way he's doing on a gravel bike.

And a side note the trail received 25 inches of rain in may and is not the same trail that he set kom on which was April 2018 perfect weather and no leaves.

But I'm 45 he's 25 so I might never catch him.

Doesn't mean I'll stop trying.

Maybe 25 years ago xc was not run on real trails but I don't think that's the case anymore.
    Edit: but I did take his kom on his cyclocross course that is a 1.5 mile lap around a small local lake. It has a root garden and lots of huge roots across the trail that a gravel bike can't carry speed thru but are too small to carry the bike.

On that trail I have a 3:24 he is second at 3:50 and third is 4:24.

The thing is I'll never have the power or endurance of a guy who rides 100s of miles a week and does 200 mile gravel races. But I'd like to think I can narrow the gap with bike handling skills and building the perfect bike for my trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    Sorry for derailing carry on.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Dude you have nothing to prove to anonymous people on the internet.

Back to tires, there is more to a fast tire than just 50-100 grams. The tread pattern, suppleness, and ability to run low pressure without burping or rim strikes all contribute to off road speed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Edit: but I did take his kom on his cyclocross course that is a 1.5 mile lap around a small local lake. It has a root garden and lots of huge roots across the trail that a gravel bike can't carry speed thru but are too small to carry the bike.

On that trail I have a 3:24 he is second at 3:50 and third is 4:24.

The thing is I'll never have the power or endurance of a guy who rides 100s of miles a week and does 200 mile gravel races. But I'd like to think I can narrow the gap with bike handling skills and building the perfect bike for my trails.
    His advantage may be aero - a gravel bike cuts through the air better...

Perhaps your aero is in need of an improvement...

(previous bike - for reference )
    2019 XC Race tires-pdx-haro-.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    His advantage may be aero - a gravel bike cuts through the air better...

Perhaps your aero is in need of an improvement...

(previous bike - for reference )

Name:	PDX(haro).jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	120.9 KB 
ID:	1296263
    Should I buy one of those aero road helmets?

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Should I buy one of those aero road helmets?
    I believe those work best at a certain aero body position - which I doubt you can do on your bike right now...

Wheel covers - even using *ehem* tight cycling clothes - will reduce your drag & help you to Accelerate faster as well as Maintain A Higher Top Speed(especially whilst pedalling on flat terrain)...

How about you at least try a good run, dress in proper XC clothes? (if you haven't already)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I believe those work best at a certain aero body position - which I doubt you can do on your bike right now...

Wheel covers - even using *ehem* tight cycling clothes - will reduce your drag & help you to Accelerate faster as well as Maintain A Higher Top Speed(especially whilst pedalling on flat terrain)...

How about you at least try a good run, dress in proper XC clothes? (if you haven't already)
    Dude I already have some assos T cento s7 bib shorts and a Lance Armstrong trek us postal service race jersey. Though I do seem to get some strange looks wearing it.

Being serious I did see the 2.25 Magic Mary soft comes in at 818grams which would save me 100+ grams and alittle rolling resistance I would think.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Dude I already have some assos T cento s7 bib shorts and a Lance Armstrong trek us postal service race jersey. Though I do seem to get some strange looks wearing it.

Being serious I did see the 2.25 Magic Mary soft comes in at 818grams which would save me 100+ grams and alittle rolling resistance I would think.
    I can't believe I just read & confirmed that - a 2.25 tyre with Soft Compound... o.O

Anyways I'm taking another approach - I intend to use a 2.6 Speedgrip on the front(Maybe a 2.6 XR2 if someone can validate their performance for me), with either a 2.25 Speed at the rear, or a 2.35 Speedgrip\Speed if same fits(I'm squeezing the largest 650B tyre size I can fit......in my 26'' frame)...

Is 2.25 in the front enough?

What about going wider with Speedgrip instead of using a soft compound on a skinny-er tyre?

The Nobby Nic Speedgrip 29x2.6 is 950g... O.O

(I'm going 2.6 650B Rocket Rons 735g - or XR2s about 690g if I can get a decent comparison of the two tyres from someone... >.>)

mtbr member
    Jan 2015
    I can't believe I just read & confirmed that - a 2.25 tyre with Soft Compound... o.O

Anyways I'm taking another approach - I intend to use a 2.6 Speedgrip on the front(Maybe a 2.6 XR2 if someone can validate their performance for me), with either a 2.25 Speed at the rear, or a 2.35 Speedgrip\Speed if same fits(I'm squeezing the largest 650B tyre size I can fit......in my 26'' frame)...

Is 2.25 in the front enough?

What about going wider with Speedgrip instead of using a soft compound on a skinny-er tyre?

The Nobby Nic Speedgrip 29x2.6 is 950g... O.O

(I'm going 2.6 650B Rocket Rons 735g - or XR2s about 690g if I can get a decent comparison of the two tyres from someone... >.>)
    The speed grip is not on the same planet as the soft for grip and damping . And the rolling resistance gain is minimal on the front imo.

Someone may be able to offer science I'm just going by feel.

I had a 2.6 speed grip magic Mary wash out on me several times so I have a bias against using it on the front.

The dream would be a racing Ray 2.3 soft I would definitely try that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    There's a 29x2.35 Fat Albert @780g: https://www.schwalbetires.com/2017-0...7%3A00%20-0700

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Name:	20170411_130503 (1).jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	165.6 KB 
ID:	1295987
    I can send you 25+ pictures from the World Cup race in Snowshoe this year with Mens and women pro on the folling tires all over 650 G

Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25 Snake Skin
    Schwalbe Racing Ray 2.25 Snake Skin
    Maxxis Aspen 2.25 EXO
    Maxxis Rekon Race 2.25 EXO
    Vittoria Mezcal XC Race Tan Casing 2.25

All kinds of 29x2.25" tires over 650 Grams

My Rocket Ron 2.25 Lite Skin 589 Grams
    And if you scan through this entire tread a lot of people are using and racing on 2.35" Tires Just and FYI

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Hahaha this is awesome. The topic was almost dead but when someone says something totally different the hell breaks lose! Choose what you like to ride at your own singletrack

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperGr View Post
    Choose what you like to ride at your own singletrack
    That would only work if you were also racing on your own singletrack.
    If you were racing elsewhere, you'd ask what sort of tyres others were running in those conditions.
    Maybe in a thread called "2019 XC Race Tyres".

This season I used Spec Butcher/Purgatory, Fasttrak's, Ground Control's.
    Different tracks/conditions.
    2 of the 6 races were on my local singletrack.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I finally made a decision and ordered a pair of Rocket Rons (2.25, addix speedgrip snakeskin tl easy) from Jenson, $49.99 ea, no shipping and no sales tax. My state taxes ebay sales but some online retailers don't add tax, which is always a nice surprise.
    I like the taller knobs, for soft or 'marbles', and some damp, but they are going on my 'dry bike'. If they weigh as advertised, I'll save a pound on my wheels, with the tires and the carbon rims I had put on last summer.
    Wet bike (hardtail) is getting Forekasters.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by jimPacNW View Post
    I finally made a decision and ordered a pair of Rocket Rons (2.25, addix speedgrip snakeskin tl easy) from Jenson, $49.99 ea, no shipping and no sales tax. My state taxes ebay sales but some online retailers don't add tax, which is always a nice surprise.
    I like the taller knobs, for soft or 'marbles', and some damp, but they are going on my 'dry bike'. If they weigh as advertised, I'll save a pound on my wheels, with the tires and the carbon rims I had put on last summer.
    Wet bike (hardtail) is getting Forekasters.
    Cool - what rim size & width? O.O

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    29, rims are 27mm outer, carbon hookless. Since it's a xc bike and won't be doing anything non-xc, and for what I ride we went with that rim width. My team/shop builder (Joey at Indigenous Wheel) was surprised that the rims were just 295 and 300g. I'm pretty easy on equipment, so the light build should be ok. He says I'm easier on equipment than almost anyone he knows, so I'll try to continue that rep!
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123