2019 XC Race tires - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by rocdog View Post
    Anyone done regular Recons F/R in 2.25? Currently running a 2.4 Ardent up front and 2.25 AR rear. Not real happy with the 2.4 up front with my 25mm rims. Been toying with the idea of either Ikons, Rekons or just putting the Aspens back on that I have laying around the garage. Whatever combo needs to handle the conditions in the Sierras. The bike is a SC blur and I wish to stay as light as possible with tires but don't want to sacrifice a huge amount of traction or rolling resistance either. After reading all these posts, it seems like there is not a huge amount of differences between the Icons, Aspens, and Recons. Selecting tires should not be this much of a pain the the ass.
    I have rekons F/R 2,25 on a 25 mm rim , they are much much better than the ikons, 670 grams, very good traction and they are fast!

mtbr member
    I've been running a 2.35 Ikon up front and the 2.35 Rekon Race in the rear on my hardtail. Cornering has been great thus far but the true test will be at the Wilderness 101 next weekend.
    CADRE RACING

Singlespeeder Powered by Veggies
    http://misfitpsycles.com/

chasing simplicity
    What Skarhead said. Just replaced my Aspens with Rekon 2.25 in front and Rekon Race 2.25 rear. New favorite combo for my southern Cal dry and dusty conditions. Fast + traction.
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

mtbr member
    I also run Rekon 2.25 + Rekon Race 2.25 and it's a great combination for racing for sure, but I am not sure at all where is the limit of the tires when cornering hard or on loose gravel, but I am coming from enduro... On my new bike was Forecaster 2.35 + Ardent Race 2.25 though and while noticeably slower, this setup was also much better in cornering and also much better in braking. I would say that the difference in cornering + braking is much bigger than in the speed, so for non racers who like to go fast on the descents it's a no brainer. I also ran these with tubes, so a bit higher pressures than with the Rekons combo.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Anyone had a chance to run both Rekon 2.25 and Ardent Race 2.2 as the front tire and can compare between those two?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I noticed that there is a new Fast Trak listed as the "2020" version by some shops. Also comes with a transparent sidewall. Anyone know anything about them?

Example:
    https://www.brandscycle.com/product/...SABEgKNBPD_BwE

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestmtb View Post
    I noticed that there is a new Fast Trak listed as the "2020" version by some shops. Also comes with a transparent sidewall. Anyone know anything about them?

Example:
    https://www.brandscycle.com/product/...SABEgKNBPD_BwE
    Looks the same as the old Gripton version but with tanwalls.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    I've been swapping between Rekon Race 2.35 (front and rear), Aspen 2.25(front and rear) and Specialized Fastrack (2.35 S-works Front, 2.25 Control Rear)

Our soil type is primarily clayish hardpack but we also have trails that include a little more sand. So hardpack to loose over hard in tire terms. Little to no rock.

I keep wanting to like the Aspens but they seem squirely in the corners at speed. The Rekon Races are a very grippy tire and give me way more confidence in the corners than the other two. The Fastracks for me are the fastest all around tire(race day choice). They role the quickest but don't seem to give up too much in the cornering department. Not as grippy as the Rekon Race's but still predictable.

I'm surprised more folks aren't talking about the Rekon Race's. In our soils they grip like an Ikon but roll quicker and provide a really plush ride with the 2.35" casing. Dang good all around tire. (Keep in mind we can't ride our trails when they get wet)

Just my .02

mtbr member

Funny enough i was in the LBS and they had a huge shipment of old spec tires on blowout.

Got a capitan s works and control. Been looking for something that rolls well but has some great bite. For $35 a tire i couldnt resist. Might be look slow but the weight actually isnt too bad vs current xc tires, they are pretty big on my i27 rims and the close center knobs roll fast. I would say its a nice tire for between the fasttrak and ground control... maybe they should bring it back ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fatbike, XC bike, Gravel Bike....

mtbr member
    For loose and dusty summer riding and racing in the PNW, I've been loving the combo of Rekon 2.6 front/Rekon Race 2.35 rear. I know that's more tire than most prefer, but I find I can drop pressure and find excellent grip and predictable drift on marbly and dusty courses. Rekon 2.6 is actually lighter than the 2.4, and it rolls just fine.

Race tire in back rolls very fast and hooks up well as long as you lay the bike over enough to hook up the corner knobs. Granted our trails (races included) tend to have long, technical descents, so always looking for decent DH performance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    27.5*26mm rim. Minion ss rear. Dhr2 front. They roll like an ikon in the back and weigh about the same as a 2.35 ikon with a 2.4 ardent in 29 casings. They obviously provide more traction than any 29 xc combo too.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MillerC View Post
    27.5*26mm rim. Minion ss rear. Dhr2 front. They roll like an ikon in the back and weigh about the same as a 2.35 ikon with a 2.4 ardent in 29 casings. They obviously provide more traction than any 29 xc combo too.
    Slower than most XC combo's too.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Yhea those tires are definitely not made for xc

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by JasperGr View Post
    Yhea those tires are definitely not made for xc

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    I find I'm a lot faster on tires like this than xc tires. I prefer 27.5 because they offer a big weight savings in these tread patterns. It's not like xc racers are on 1.8 skinnies any more either. They are rocking out 2.3 and 2.4 tires up front with 2.25 in the back. The purpose of 29 was the increase in traction with light tread.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by DrewBird View Post
    For loose and dusty summer riding and racing in the PNW, I've been loving the combo of Rekon 2.6 front/Rekon Race 2.35 rear. I know that's more tire than most prefer, but I find I can drop pressure and find excellent grip and predictable drift on marbly and dusty courses. Rekon 2.6 is actually lighter than the 2.4, and it rolls just fine.

Race tire in back rolls very fast and hooks up well as long as you lay the bike over enough to hook up the corner knobs. Granted our trails (races included) tend to have long, technical descents, so always looking for decent DH performance.
    For the regular rekons, the weight can vary. I have a 2.6 exo that weighs in the upper 800s, which is about 100g off the spec. The 2.4 exo I have came in at 825. I never could get the 2.6 pressures right on the front. What do you run?

Also curious about your experience with the ray/Ralph combo. Did you run them over rocky terrain? Wondering how well they'd hold up for daily use.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I find I'm a lot faster on tires like this than xc tires. I prefer 27.5 because they offer a big weight savings in these tread patterns. It's not like xc racers are on 1.8 skinnies any more either. They are rocking out 2.3 and 2.4 tires up front with 2.25 in the back. The purpose of 29 was the increase in traction with light tread.
    I don't know anybody in a high XC class (CAT 1 and even CAT 2) rocking the tires you suggest. The bike handling skills at these levels are high enough that they won't be faster being a few seconds faster in the corners versus the minutes saved on rolling resistance.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I don't know anybody in a high XC class (CAT 1 and even CAT 2) rocking the tires you suggest. The bike handling skills at these levels are high enough that they won't be faster being a few seconds faster in the corners versus the minutes saved on rolling resistance.
    I once finished fourth in my age group in cat 2 a day after giving blood 9 months after knee surgery so they can't be that slow. The tires basically took me from a middle of the pack cat three Rider to a middle of the pack cat two Rider. The biggest difference I notice is my training. I'm just able to pedal harder through sections I would be skittish to push hard through in the past. I have mental health issues and gained about sixty pounds since then so I can't really prove much today.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I once finished fourth in my age group in cat 2 a day after giving blood 9 months after knee surgery so they can't be that slow. The tires basically took me from a middle of the pack cat three Rider to a middle of the pack cat two Rider. The biggest difference I notice is my training. I'm just able to pedal harder through sections I would be skittish to push hard through in the past. I have mental health issues and gained about sixty pounds since then so I can't really prove much today.
    Everyone has to choose the equipment that gives them the most confidence. So if those tires worked for you, then great. For me, I am slower on grippier, but draggier tires.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Everyone has to choose the equipment that gives them the most confidence. So if those tires worked for you, then great. For me, I am slower on grippier, but draggier tires.
    It's a faster combo than morsa morsa by a long shot. I don't notice any difference between the minion ss and a barzo in the back. I'm wondering if front tire rolling resistance has a smaller impact than people realize. Of course knobs weigh more. However, that is why I chose 27.5 since they weigh less. I've tried race King barzo and was just slower everywhere but long climbs and don't really have many long climbs to deal with.
    Last edited by MillerC; 08-11-2019 at 10:50 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Anyone riding the Rekon Race 2.25 (Front) and Aspen 2.25 (Rear) combo? I love the Aspen as a rear tyre, great grip int he corners and very fast rolling. Have been running an Ardent Race on the front for quite a while now but looking for something a bit faster rolling for racing duties.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by daveinaus View Post
    Anyone riding the Rekon Race 2.25 (Front) and Aspen 2.25 (Rear) combo? I love the Aspen as a rear tyre, great grip int he corners and very fast rolling. Have been running an Ardent Race on the front for quite a while now but looking for something a bit faster rolling for racing duties.
    https://marathonmtb.com/2017/07/13/maxxis-tyre-test/
    This is a pretty good summary of maxxis xc tires. You may try a 2.0 ikon on the front with the aspen rear. It will hook up better and weighs about 100 grams less. If your on lots of packed roads there are other options as well.

Formerly of Kent
    This is a pretty good summary of maxxis xc tires. You may try a 2.0 ikon on the front with the aspen rear. It will hook up better and weighs about 100 grams less. If your on lots of packed roads there are other options as well.
    I doubt that anyone here is using 2.0 tires for XC racing these days.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I doubt that anyone here is using 2.0 tires for XC racing these days.
    Pretty much any mud tire is a 2.0 to 1.8 and they make a huge difference in those conditions. Try a maxxis beaver or specialized storm control or ect. out the next time you get a bunch of mud.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave1078 View Post
    For the regular rekons, the weight can vary. I have a 2.6 exo that weighs in the upper 800s, which is about 100g off the spec. The 2.4 exo I have came in at 825. I never could get the 2.6 pressures right on the front. What do you run?

Also curious about your experience with the ray/Ralph combo. Did you run them over rocky terrain? Wondering how well they'd hold up for daily use.
    I'm ~190lbs and have been running 22 front/25 rear with the Rekon/Rekon Race combo.

I had great luck with the Ray/Ralph tires; they're super light, roll well and I had no issues with flats despite handling them pretty roughly. I ultimately decided they're a bit too skinny and racy for me, though. My usual training rides include technical descents, so I just prefer something with a bit more grip. But if I were setting up a bike for just pure XC, the Ralph/Ray combo would be at the top of my list.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    I'm ~190lbs and have been running 22 front/25 rear with the Rekon/Rekon Race combo.

I had great luck with the Ray/Ralph tires; they're super light, roll well and I had no issues with flats despite handling them pretty roughly. I ultimately decided they're a bit too skinny and racy for me, though. My usual training rides include technical descents, so I just prefer something with a bit more grip. But if I were setting up a bike for just pure XC, the Ralph/Ray combo would be at the top of my list.
    This is good info. I'm running the newer Hans Dampf 2.35 front and a rock razor 2.35 rear on my sb100. It's a fairly fast combo, but I am always wondering if I could get away with less tire. Especially lighter.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    This is good info. I'm running the newer Hans Dampf 2.35 front and a rock razor 2.35 rear on my sb100. It's a fairly fast combo, but I am always wondering if I could get away with less tire. Especially lighter.
    This is why I went 27.5. In theory your shaving about 3 pounds off your bike by reducing the rotating mass and moving the moment of inertia closer to the hub. It's not like your using a slick xc tire begging for more traction provided by being a 29er.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I had great luck with the Ray/Ralph tires;
    I have very limited experience with Maxxis stuff, but pretty good one with Schwalbe, as I'm running Rocket Run (this year Racing Ray) as front tire for pretty much forever But contrary to last few years, I'm having whole bunch of flats this year, and was thinking to change for Maxxis next season. But wherever I look, I can't find really much positive of them compared to Schwalbe, except for price, which here is actually the opposite (Schwalbe is cheaper then Maxxis).
    Since you were running both (on Schwalbe exactly my combo, and on Maxxis something I'm thinking about), how do Maxxis really compare to Schwalbe? I mean when it comes to rolling speed, grip and especially durability. Speed and grip on Schwalbe are perfect for my use, but durability might be a bit of issue, or maybe I'm just having bad luck this year
    Primoz

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by primoz View Post
    I have very limited experience with Maxxis stuff, but pretty good one with Schwalbe, as I'm running Rocket Run (this year Racing Ray) as front tire for pretty much forever But contrary to last few years, I'm having whole bunch of flats this year, and was thinking to change for Maxxis next season. But wherever I look, I can't find really much positive of them compared to Schwalbe, except for price, which here is actually the opposite (Schwalbe is cheaper then Maxxis).
    Since you were running both (on Schwalbe exactly my combo, and on Maxxis something I'm thinking about), how do Maxxis really compare to Schwalbe? I mean when it comes to rolling speed, grip and especially durability. Speed and grip on Schwalbe are perfect for my use, but durability might be a bit of issue, or maybe I'm just having bad luck this year
    If your not happy with your tires try bontrager. They have a 30 day guarantee on their tires. https://outdoorgearadvisor.com/bontr...2-tire-review/

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Lol, 2.0? No thanks. I rode Ikons for several years and find the Aspens hook up better when cornering and roll faster anyway. My question was specifically related to the Rekon Race as a front tyre (and pairing that with an Aspen on the rear).

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Ive played with a bunch of different XC tyres and still always find myself back on Aspens front and rear. I find they have way more grip and inspire a lot more confidence than the Rekon Race. The only other tyre that I get a similar feel of confidence and rolling speed from is the Vittoria Mezcal, but they are heavy if you need siedwall protection.

I now do all my training on Mezcals and then race with the Apsens because the Aspens wear fast. If I know its going to be a rocky course with the risk of sharp rocks I use Mezcals or Rekon Race.

Im 71kg and find "my" sweet spot with each setup at: 21/23psi on the Apsens. 19/22 with the Rekon Race, and 23/26 with the Mezcals. All in a 2.25 width

mtbr member
    I'm running Maxxis with Exo casings; my setup (Rekon 2.6/R.Race 2.35) is on the heavy side for a pure XC rig. I'd have to check but I believe these came in about 775g/700g, respectively.

I found the Schwalbe tires to work very well in good conditions, but they definitely lack volume relative to the Maxxis setup above. The result is predictable, they hook up pretty well in tacky dirt but when the let go they do so completely. By contrast the high-volume Maxxis tires (with a few PSI lower pressure) are much more predictable in loose or slightly moist conditions, where I feel I can drift a bit but still save the bike. Overall much more confidence inspiring, though the Rekon Race is not the most tenacious when braking as you'd expect. I think both setups roll really well, Rekon Race is the faster tread but Schwalbes are lighter, so probably a wash.

I rode the Maxxis combo in an "all mountain" event this weekend, XC one day and Enduro the next, have to use same bike. I found the Maxxis tires to work really well, they roll great and are much less sketchy in greasy DH than the Schwalbes were.

I actually found both tires to last pretty well. I've put at least 300 miles on both sets and neither looks to have much wear. Schwalbe's new rubbers seem quite good, days of "one race" schwalbes seem to be behind us!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXJIM View Post
    Ive played with a bunch of different XC tyres and still always find myself back on Aspens front and rear. I find they have way more grip and inspire a lot more confidence than the Rekon Race. The only other tyre that I get a similar feel of confidence and rolling speed from is the Vittoria Mezcal, but they are heavy if you need siedwall protection.

I now do all my training on Mezcals and then race with the Apsens because the Aspens wear fast. If I know its going to be a rocky course with the risk of sharp rocks I use Mezcals or Rekon Race.

Im 71kg and find "my" sweet spot with each setup at: 21/23psi on the Apsens. 19/22 with the Rekon Race, and 23/26 with the Mezcals. All in a 2.25 width
    Cheers, yeah the Aspens really are a great tyre, surprisingly grippy although I dont think they would excel in muddy conditions. I think Ill give the Rekon Race a go and if I don't like it maybe try Aspens front and rear. The Ardent Race has been a great tyre so who knows I might just end up back on that anyway!

pk1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    how does the new racing ray compare to the rocket ron?
    i've heard they aren't quite as grippy

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Cheers, yeah the Aspens really are a great tyre, surprisingly grippy although I dont think they would excel in muddy conditions. I think Ill give the Rekon Race a go and if I don't like it maybe try Aspens front and rear. The Ardent Race has been a great tyre so who knows I might just end up back on that anyway!
    I think your supposed to run the recon race as a rear with the Aspen up front. That is how all the maxxis media markets the tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm tossing up whether to run it front or rear. It seems some of the pros have run it as a front as well but it would depend on the particular course i suppose. I might start with it on the rear and and Aspen up front see how it that goes goes. Aspen front and rear might end up being the best compromise as noted above but I am curious to try something new.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I'm tossing up whether to run it front or rear. It seems some of the pros have run it as a front as well but it would depend on the particular course i suppose. I might start with it on the rear and and Aspen up front see how it that goes goes. Aspen front and rear might end up being the best compromise as noted above but I am curious to try something new.
    If you're on a budget maybe try mezcal rear Aspen front. That way you don't go through rear tires once every few weeks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pk1 View Post
    how does the new racing ray compare to the rocket ron?
    i've heard they aren't quite as grippy
    Racing Ray is not exactly same as Rocket Ron. It rolls faster (at least it feels as I honestly don't really have any means to do proper scientific test), and most of time it has good enough grip. But when you are on lose gravel, Rocket Ron certainly has better grip. And based on last few months experience, I would say Racing Ray is a little bit more fragile (and lighter) then Rocket Ron.
    It surely depends what you want from tire, but for me Racing Ray is actually slightly nicer option then Rocket Ron, even though Rocket Ron was pretty much optimal tire for front for me until now. and with Speedgrip actually works, but I noticed this last year with Rocket Ron. It really holds grip longer then old compound. With old compound, tires were great for a while, but after some 700-800km they lost grip completely, even though thread profile was still pretty much intact. Speedgrip compound holds much much longer.
    Primoz

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    If you live in a rocky terrain you shouldn't go for the schwalbe Ralph ray. The durability is not so good.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    27.5*26mm rim. Minion ss rear. Dhr2 front. They roll like an ikon in the back
    Ive had plenty of success running an enduro front tire and railing courses where others struggles. You can attack in super loose twisty sections and stay on the gas.

Though I prefer a lighter tire like a Hans Dampf or Nobby Nic. They also roll far faster than a DHF, so you might give it a try.

and weigh about the same as a 2.35 ikon with a 2.4 ardent in 29 casings.
    You are saying the 27.5 weighs the same as the 29 version of another tire?

Minion SS is:
    Low volume
    60 tpi
    Heavier
    Poor straight line braking traction because thats not what it is made to do.

It has poor Traction for XC racing and really is only better than Most XC tires in one place. Going down hill in softer dirt. Its pretty bad in loose over hard XC racing. On rocks, an IKON 2.35 is a far better tire.

If you value the side grip but want a better tire for racing and all around trail riding, you should Try a forekaster in the rear.

They obviously provide more traction than any 29 xc combo too.
    There are many more combos you should try that work much better together. If you value traction, Try a NoNo F/R 2.35. If you are a maxxis guy, I would try a forekaster F/R. Maxxis doesnt meke a good lightweight front enduro worthy tire. Even the Aggressor is heavy, and no one should one shoudl be riding an ardent except for old school bike magicians on steel single speeds who's skills Make tire choice a non issue.

This may seem crazy, but if you can make a minion work for you, you might be surprised by an aspen rear tire paired with a Grippy front tire.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Here is a breakdown of the favorite combos i've tried. All of my local trails are packed with turns, lots of flats, and no fire road climbs. The biggest rear tire I can fit is a 2.3 morsa and it rubs on hard climbs when
    morsa-barzo. Imagine ikon/ardent but ardent with bigger side knobs.
    race king-barzo. Lightning fast climber and a well balanced pairing. I liked these a lot on some trails but found my workouts weren't the same because I was just coasting from turn to turn. I get smoked at races through the turns.
    ground control-ardent Great until you lose traction forever and need knee surgery.
    minion ss-dhr2-most fun and confident inspiring tires I've ridden. Not any slower than barzo morsa. and faster than morsa/morsa. The SS requires less lean angle than the morsa. The morsa you really have to lean it which is hard to do in tight turns. Where as the ss hooks up really fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    How do the side knobs on an xr3 compare to other tires side knobs? From the pictures it looks like a barzo down the middle and a morsa on the sides?

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Something i just discovered is that Cannondale XCO team almost alway use Thunder Burt 2.25 front/rear, sometimes Burt rear / RRalph front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raikzz View Post
    Something i just discovered is that Cannondale XCO team almost alway use Thunder Burt 2.25 front/rear, sometimes Burt rear / RRalph front.
    Same with Pauline Ferrand Prevot on Canyon - usually RRalph front and ThunderBurt back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbikemad View Post
    Same with Pauline Ferrand Prevot on Canyon - usually RRalph front and ThunderBurt back.
    I also found it strange that they were using the new "rear" specific Racing Ralph on the front. At least that's how Schwalbe marketed the new Ralph. I guess they don't like the new Racing Ray for the front??

pk1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    I also found it strange that they were using the new "rear" specific Racing Ralph on the front. At least that's how Schwalbe marketed the new Ralph. I guess they don't like the new Racing Ray for the front??
    yeah, the new ralph looks to be designed for traction and braking, not cornering. i would have thought it would make for a poor front option

of course pros do many things us mere mortals would never think possible but i can't think why a ralph would work better on the front than a ray or ron, except for straight line braking which is not normally a major limiting factor

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    yeah, the new ralph looks to be designed for traction and braking, not cornering. i would have thought it would make for a poor front option

of course pros do many things us mere mortals would never think possible but i can't think why a ralph would work better on the front than a ray or ron, except for straight line braking which is not normally a major limiting factor
    I haven't rode them but I think they are like the xr3 and xr4 but in a lighter tire. The racing ralph basicly has the side knobs of the ray and the ray has the big knobs all over it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    The Racing Ralph probably just rolls faster and offers enough front traction to work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Has anybody order from bike-components.de before?

I'm about too order some tires, but I'm wondering how quick it will ship and arrive to USA.

Their prices on tires even with shipping included is absolutely low to what you can procure in usa.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLover View Post
    Has anybody order from bike-components.de before?

I'm about too order some tires, but I'm wondering how quick it will ship and arrive to USA.

Their prices on tires even with shipping included is absolutely low to what you can procure in usa.
    Always!

I order 6-10 tires at a time because the shipping is a flat rate.

Shipping is FAST. It's so cheap, I can buy in bulk, weight the tires and could literally sell off the heavy ones. The weight variance on Schwalbe is insane. My wife gets all the ligh weight stuff for her race bike and I get the table scraps .

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

That's 27.5 only and this is an XC forum you know?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post

That's 27.5 only and this is an XC forum you know?
    I'm faster on my 27.5 with nobbies than I was on my 29er with slicks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I'm faster on my 27.5 with nobbies than I was on my 29er with slicks.
    Yes, because slicks arent very fast on mountain bike trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Yes, because slicks arent very fast on mountain bike trails.
    Nino used to ride semi slicks with trail bike side lugs.
    https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...s-scott-scale/

I don't see why minion ss is such a bad tire for xc race. I ride 27.5 like nino. Nino fast. If they made a 650 gram dhf I would be all over it.

mtbr member
    May 2019

I don't see why minion ss is such a bad tire for xc race. I ride 27.5 like nino. Nino fast. If they made a 650 gram dhf I would be all over it.
    Nino hasnt ridden a 27.5 in a few years now... Its gotta say something ;-)
    I was like you, and thought 27.5 was better/faster... until a got a 29er... I wont even look a 27.5 Enduro bike now...

mtbr member
    Dec 2016

Stop it already. No matter how hard you try, you are not going to convince everyone here to adopt your tire of choice based on your sample is 1. You have no idea the bike handling capabilities of the people here, the trails that are ridden, etc. Ask more questions, give advice less.

Rides all the bikes!
    Nothing wrong with being faster on aggressive tires. I've done a race where the front 800+g Hans up front paid off with me getting on a podium. It was a loose course, and the weight penalty was worth it.

But I'm not on that tire for most races.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Yes, I can see outlier scenarios where an aggressive tire might be an advantage. But in August in most places in the country, we are dealing with mostly dusty, hardpack trails. Running a minion in a competitive class is an automatic handicap.

mtbr member
    If nothing else, this illustrated how much XC race rigs have changed in just the last 5 years.

17 lb hardtails - seems like the wrong tool for the job now.

I think he did run a little more aggressive tread when using Dugast often as well.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I'm on 27.5 because I'm poor and wanted a modern dentist bike for next to nothing. Now I'm on a 27.5 jamis dragon(68hta 120 fork), full m9000, manitou marvel pro, hadley hubs(135 rear) stans hoops. All for about $1250 total. I started on a caffeine F29 and went over the bars about once every ride until I had to have knee surgery from a wreck. I demoed a ros 9 and really liked it but it weighed like 30 pounds and cost a lot. My Jamis dragon weighs about 23 pounds. I'm on knobbies because I don't trust xc tires anymore after uncontrollably sliding out and needing knee surgery. Any recommendations on tires to try for Midwest riding? Michigan, IN, IL, OH. The local courses don't have any fire roads and are nothing but Blue, black, and green single track. The blacks have technical root gardens.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    I'm on 27.5 because I'm poor and wanted a modern dentist bike for next to nothing. Now I'm on a 27.5 jamis dragon(68hta 120 fork), full m9000, manitou marvel pro, hadley hubs(135 rear) stans hoops. All for about $1250 total. I started on a caffeine F29 and went over the bars about once every ride until I had to have knee surgery from a wreck. I demoed a ros 9 and really liked it but it weighed like 30 pounds and cost a lot. My Jamis dragon weighs about 23 pounds. I'm on knobbies because I don't trust xc tires anymore after uncontrollably sliding out and needing knee surgery. Any recommendations on tires to try for Midwest riding? Michigan, IN, IL, OH. The local courses don't have any fire roads and are nothing but Blue, black, and green single track. The blacks have technical root gardens.
    I'm in the same region and lots of people who find XC tires sketchy, but still race, are happy with the Ground Control, Ardent (or Ardent race) or Bontrager XR3 which are light trail tires. They are fast but still grippy. I haven't used them myself so I'm just passing on 2nd hand info.

Rod
    mtbr member
    It sounds more mental than anything. Get a tire that has a lot of grip on the front and a faster one for the back. Nobby nic, continetal mountain king, hans damphf, etc. Put a 2.35 ikon on the back and go for it. You have a super predictable tire on the front and the back has enough volume for grip, ride compliance, and braking traction.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod View Post
    It sounds more mental than anything. Get a tire that has a lot of grip on the front and a faster one for the back. Nobby nic, continetal mountain king, hans damphf, etc. Put a 2.35 ikon on the back and go for it. You have a super predictable tire on the front and the back has enough volume for grip, ride compliance, and braking traction.

That is definitely a big chunk of the problem. I spun my 36 ring out on my caffeine f29 and hit a sweeping s covered in a dense layer of pine straw and my whole bike washed out and had to have knee surgery. Now, I'm scared to anything that makes a tire remotely bark on hard pack. At the time of knee surgery I was 6'3 180lbs with a resting heart rate of 34 bpm. I was riding close to 15 hours a week. Now i'm 235lbs with a resting heart rate of 55bpm. Tire combo was 2.1 ground control 2.4 ardent for fall riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    That is definitely a big chunk of the problem. I spun my 36 ring out on my caffeine f29 and hit a sweeping s covered in a dense layer of pine straw and my whole bike washed out and had to have knee surgery. Now, I'm scared to anything that makes a tire remotely bark on hard pack. At the time of knee surgery I was 6'3 180lbs with a resting heart rate of 34 bpm. I was riding close to 15 hours a week. Now i'm 235lbs with a resting heart rate of 55bpm. Tire combo was 2.1 ground control 2.4 ardent for fall riding.
    I always take it easy when there is debris on the ground. If I see pine needles, I'm backing it down until I know the grip level. I think you can crash on any tire. I demoed a Yeti not long ago with Minions and I washed out because I didn't weigh the front properly because I wasn't used to the bike geometry. And I normally run Aspens or Fast Traks on the front and rarely wash out.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I always take it easy when there is debris on the ground. If I see pine needles, I'm backing it down until I know the grip level. I think you can crash on any tire. I demoed a Yeti not long ago with Minions and I washed out because I didn't weigh the front properly because I wasn't used to the bike geometry. And I normally run Aspens or Fast Traks on the front and rarely wash out.
    This is good advice. Wet leaves, pine needles, etc. Can cause a great tire to lose traction. Proceed with caution until you're confident and then go for it.

You'll get your confidence back but it'll just take more seat time. Have fun

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I've only had a front tire wash out twice on me and once was an XR1 in the middle of a mud hole on a demo bike but I can't seem to get the rear tire to hold enough traction when I lean the bike. I've tried a lot of rear tires the rear end just seems to slide off into the woods while the front tire tracts straight through a sweeping turn. Any advice on how to correct that?

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Nothing wrong with being faster on aggressive tires. I've done a race where the front 800+g Hans up front paid off with me getting on a podium. It was a loose course, and the weight penalty was worth it.

But I'm not on that tire for most races.
    Same here,

805 G HD, on many of my only Cat 1 podiums. I didnt need the tire and would have been just as fast if not faster on a Forekaster. I usually had it on there because I was too lazy to change tires and it was better to prop the legs up and rest for the race.

Any recommendations on tires to try for Midwest riding? Michigan, IN, IL, OH. The local courses don't have any fire roads and are nothing but Blue, black, and green single track. The blacks have technical root gardens.
    It sounds like you are just going one extreme to the other which is why you have great experiences. Dont worry, you will make your way there if you try stuff out. A cheaper way to do so is to try out ordering from the site mentioned above. Offroad, MOST people would be faster with an intermediate front tire at a minimum yet they bounce and slide around on what they see a pro run. Most people will not be faster on a full on super heavy enduro tire Than they would be on a 150 gram lighter Agressive XC/Trail tire.

You are not a pro and should not be looking at what Pros run at all. They are paid to also run those

If you are on 27.5, you should check out a 2.35 Nobby Nic. Its 680 ish grams. I would say go ahead and toss those on front and rear and go party with confidence. You can run that 2.25 in the rear and it MAY be even lighter depending on who poured the rubber in the mold that day. I have up to 80 grams variance in my NoNos, but I buy them in bulk and use teh lighter ones in race season and the heavier in off season.

for racing, it sounds like you may enjoy the NoNo front with a faster rear. The high volume front will really help you carry speed over those roots. Get that pressure right.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    I've only had a front tire wash out twice on me and once was an XR1 in the middle of a mud hole on a demo bike but I can't seem to get the rear tire to hold enough traction when I lean the bike. I've tried a lot of rear tires the rear end just seems to slide off into the woods while the front tire tracts straight through a sweeping turn. Any advice on how to correct that?
    That's a body position issue you are explaining. You see this a lot in people who stay in the saddle and lean the bike like a moto. You the bike is leaning but really you arent much. You should be separated and putting downward pressure down straight into the ground. You may be adding to the centrifugal force and pushing the tire sideways.

Also, if your front is not sliding but your rear is, you could be just putting more weight on the front than necessary and need to shift your hip position back just slightly to put more weight through the pedals and into the rear knob.

We arent with you to see what your cornering flaws are (we all have them). So I would look into Lee McCormack, as It seems like it would help you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    That's a body position issue you are explaining. You see this a lot in people who stay in the saddle and lean the bike like a moto. You the bike is leaning but really you arent much. You should be separated and putting downward pressure down straight into the ground. You may be adding to the centrifugal force and pushing the tire sideways.

Also, if your front is not sliding but your rear is, you could be just putting more weight on the front than necessary and need to shift your hip position back just slightly to put more weight through the pedals and into the rear knob.

We arent with you to see what your cornering flaws are (we all have them). So I would look into Lee McCormack, as It seems like it would help you.
    I made a new thread to go over bike handling.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Is this a good rear https://www.trekbicyclesuperstore.co...RoCfKAQAvD_BwE for 26mm wide rims? How does it hook up compared to race King?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I usually race with 2.3" Ground Control's but as it's winter here, I'm going for a Butcher front and Purgatory rear for the next race as I don't know the conditions or trails. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Next summer it'll be Fast Trak's front and rear.

Rod
    mtbr member
    I think you should stick to the suggestion of the nobby nics. They roll very well for a full knobby, excellent grip, durable with the right sidewall, and they can do it all rather well. If the rear is sliding out put one on the rear too instead of the ikon i suggested. These are fast enough to race and train on all season.

Ive used the xr1 but the grip is nothing compared to the nic.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    I think you should stick to the suggestion of the nobby nics. They roll very well for a full knobby, excellent grip, durable with the right sidewall, and they can do it all rather well. If the rear is sliding out put one on the rear too instead of the ikon i suggested. These are fast enough to race and train on all season.

Ive used the xr1 but the grip is nothing compared to the nic.

How would 2.2 xr3 rear xr4 front compare to nobby nic? I like to buy my wear parts at lbs and nics are expensive.

Rod
    mtbr member
    How would 2.2 xr3 rear xr4 front compare to nobby nic? I like to buy my wear parts at lbs and nics are expensive.
    I dont have enough experience on the xr3/4 to really answer your question. Im sure someone with more experience can chime in. I hear the bontrager tires are fantastic from a friend who works in the industry.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I have a pair of XR3s and the side knobs are completely falling apart after 6 weeks and only 150 miles on them. Theses tires didnít last long at all, pretty disappointed

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtnbrews View Post
    I have a pair of XR3s and the side knobs are completely falling apart after 6 weeks and only 150 miles on them. Theses tires didnít last long at all, pretty disappointed
    Was that the team issue tires or the cheap ones? I've never heard about wear issues with bontrager tires.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    A lot of my friends run this. Most just go 2.4 front/rear, but 2.2/2.4 would work too. It's a good setup for the loose, Dusty, dry, rocky socal trails. I don't have much more info than that!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2017
    They were the XR3 team issues(the newer model)

mtbr member
    Sep 2017
    Hi everyone!

Could someone please help me pick a better set of XC race tires? I raced a quick 25 miles today on a 2.3 DHF (front) and a 2.3 Agressor (rear). I had just swapped out my DHR for the Agressor for this race and it performed well. No one was able to catch me on the fast rocky downhill sections and I made up alot of time from my lack of climbing speed.

But I know none of the above are "true" XC tires. Neither is my bike being a 27.5 2016 Santa Cruz 5010. But I'm making do with it as I experiment with more and more race events this year.

What should I try next? I want to stick with Maxxis I think? My rims are 27mm Santa Cruz Reserves.

Ardent Race 2.2 (front) and Ikon 2.2 (rear)?

Ardent Race 2.2 (front) and Aspen 2.25 or even 2.1 (rear)? Not sure if 2.1s would be ok to run on 27mm rims though? 20 years ago I used to run 2.1s on 19mm internal, lol.

Keep seeing the Rekon race mentioned but too bad they aren't making that in 27.5 (but I understand why).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thatís been my experience with the 2.4 XR4 Team Issue Iíve been running on my rear wheel this summer. The shoulder knobs are significantly worn after a month. If it was a front tire Iíd be tossing it. I do ride a fair bit of pavement to the trail head, but similar Maxxis tires have lasted many months longer, for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    For guys with the xr3//4 problems have you considered returning them with the 30 day bontrager policy?

mtbr member
    May 2017
    Didnít notice it until after 30 days

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Didnít notice it until after 30 days
    When reading reviews I've heard they wear faster than other tires but people were still getting 800 miles out of them. 150 miles is a new story.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    For guys with the xr3//4 problems have you considered returning them with the 30 day bontrager policy?
    I guess I wouldnít categorize it as a ďproblemĒ... They havenít lasted as long, for my specific conditions, as Iíd like. Thatís pretty hard to quantify and I canít point to a specific defect. Itís no big deal, they were on sale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    When reading reviews I've heard they wear faster than other tires but people were still getting 800 miles out of them. 150 miles is a new story.
    800 is still not great. I get 1500 out of my Specialized Gripton tires. 1000 miles as a front and then another 500 after moving them to the rear.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    800 miles is a really good life span for a rear.

A tire showing significant wear at 150 miles is common for any performance tire in hot abrasive conditions. The combination of hot weather and low grip conditions just shreds soft (expensive) tires.

This summer alone I have shredded the knobs completely off a Recon Race, Aspen, and DHR.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think the Ardent race is a bit narrow. But it's a decent front tire.

I really like the Aspen 2.25 as a rear most of the time and they are great frotn and rear on the right trails. Ikon front Aspen rear is a good combo and the 2.35 Ikon is awesome if you need a touch more grip.

I also like Forekaster front, Ikon 2.2 rear. great all around combo. People think the Forekaster is just for mud, but i'ts a great general use tire for looser conditions and general trail riding.

Rod
    mtbr member
    My wife have had better luck than some of the others here with these tires. The trail we ride isnt hard on tires though

I do suggest you going with at least a 2.35 on the front miller. I would run a 2.35 on the rear too for the extra traction and cushion.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    My wife have had better luck than some of the others here with these tires. The trail we ride isnt hard on tires though

I do suggest you going with at least a 2.35 on the front miller. I would run a 2.35 on the rear too for the extra traction and cushion.

My chainstay can only handle like a 2.3. The oversized 2.35 would rub I believe. I'm hoping the 2.2 xr3 on a 26mm rim hooks up really well. The biggest tire I can possibly fit is a 2.3 morsa in the back. My minions fit pretty easily but the morsa rubs under hard climbs.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mnpikey View Post
    Hi everyone!

Could someone please help me pick a better set of XC race tires? I raced a quick 25 miles today on a 2.3 DHF (front) and a 2.3 Agressor (rear). I had just swapped out my DHR for the Agressor for this race and it performed well. No one was able to catch me on the fast rocky downhill sections and I made up alot of time from my lack of climbing speed.

But I know none of the above are "true" XC tires. Neither is my bike being a 27.5 2016 Santa Cruz 5010. But I'm making do with it as I experiment with more and more race events this year.

What should I try next? I want to stick with Maxxis I think? My rims are 27mm Santa Cruz Reserves.

Ardent Race 2.2 (front) and Ikon 2.2 (rear)?

Ardent Race 2.2 (front) and Aspen 2.25 or even 2.1 (rear)? Not sure if 2.1s would be ok to run on 27mm rims though? 20 years ago I used to run 2.1s on 19mm internal, lol.

Keep seeing the Rekon race mentioned but too bad they aren't making that in 27.5 (but I understand why).

Thanks!
    Knowing you're used to a DHF and DHR/Aggressor rear, it would probably be a real shock to go back to pure XC tires. Sticking with Maxxis, some options I'd consider for the front would be either the regular Rekon 2.4 3c or Ardent Race 2.35. For the rear, you can get away with less tread. Anything from an Ardent Race to an Aspen, depending on your terrain. If it helps, I asked a Maxxis rep about rolling speed on five tires and here's what he gave me (1 being faster):

1. Ardent Race
    2. Ardent
    3. Rekon
    4. Forekaster
    5. Aggressor

The ikon and aspen are of course faster though. 2.1-2.2 would be ok if you're riding smoother trails. Sounds like you're not though. So that's why I'd go with 2.3-2.4" for your rims.

mtbr member
    1. Ardent Race
    2. Ardent
    3. Rekon
    4. Forekaster
    5. Aggressor
    That is unexpected. I would think that Rekon sits on top of this list, if we're talking same width and same TPI.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDee81 View Post
    That is unexpected. I would think that Rekon sits on top of this list, if we're talking same width and same TPI.
    Rekon, not Rekon Race.
    The Ardent Race and Ardent have a tighter and lower profile tread profile down the center than the regular rekon giving them less rolling resistance, hence faster rolling speed

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    I think the Ardent race is a bit narrow. But it's a decent front tire.

I really like the Aspen 2.25 as a rear most of the time and they are great frotn and rear on the right trails. Ikon front Aspen rear is a good combo and the 2.35 Ikon is awesome if you need a touch more grip.

I also like Forekaster front, Ikon 2.2 rear. great all around combo. People think the Forekaster is just for mud, but i'ts a great general use tire for looser conditions and general trail riding.
    Forekaster is a great front for most conditions and excels in dry blown out and loose over hard.

The tire is not a mud tire.

It seven categorized as Wet / loose over hard. These are the two conditions where it is magical and you will ride circles around people on other tires.

at Marathon Nationals, I ran them front and rear. I never went down, and had all of the grip. I passed plenty of friends who were falling in Mud hollows. However, with the clay based mud. They quickly filled the frame and did not shed. This could be a result of the mud type though. It is pretty fantastic on wet slippery rocks due to the the siping.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXJIM View Post
    Rekon, not Rekon Race.
    The Ardent Race and Ardent have a tighter and lower profile tread profile down the center than the regular rekon giving them less rolling resistance, hence faster rolling speed
    I know it's just Rekon. I have it on the front with Rekon Race on the back. I had Ardent Race on the rear wheel before and the Rekon's thread definitely isn't higher profile. I'd say it is a little bit lower that that of Ardent Race, but I agree, that Ardent Race has tighter thread by a big margin.

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Has anybody used the Specialized Renegade? If so, how does it compare to the Fast Trak in dry, loose over hard, and occasional medium conditions (but not wet)?

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Has anybody used the Specialized Renegade? If so, how does it compare to the Fast Trak in dry, loose over hard, and occasional medium conditions (but not wet)?
    https://forums.mtbr.com/wheels-tires...h-1017464.html

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    That comparison is also not the new Gripton versions.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Giving your Rekon 2.6/Race 2.35 combo a go to see how I like it. Volume is especially helpful here for all the rocks.

mtbr member
    Aug 2019
    Racing Ray and Racing Ralph coming up in 2.35:

https://r2-bike.com/SCHWALBE-Tire-Ra...eSkin-TLE-2020

I've exhausted a pair (the current 2.25, of course) and am very happy with them. 1.600 miles and still strong, although I can feel already they are loosing performance, specially the Ralph. In my opinion, the best XC tires available, and I'm looking forward to that 2.35 Ray.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Damn 770gr for a 2.35 hahaha 120gr weight diff

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G973F met Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I am not writing it off yet. I have not done anything I would consider treacherous yet; just the one rock garden (on this course, with 3 races on this course) and I cut in an odd spot. I am going to try and see what the others were running for tires. My friend flatted last round on this course on a Maxxis, so the only pattern so far is the course...so far.

I definitely want to figure that out before I get to the bad courses!
    Sidewalk, what's the latest update on your S-works Fast Traks? Have you determined if they are tough enough yet to handle riding and racing in normal conditions?

Rides all the bikes!
    Sidewalk, what's the latest update on your S-works Fast Traks? Have you determined if they are tough enough yet to handle riding and racing in normal conditions?
    I would say no. I slashed the one tire, then the other tire went bad I think just from trying to swap it to a different wheel. So two SWorks tires gone. I replaced them with Ikons. I think only one race since then.

pk1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by eduardodfj View Post
    Racing Ray and Racing Ralph coming up in 2.35:

I've exhausted a pair (the current 2.25, of course) and am very happy with them. 1.600 miles and still strong, although I can feel already they are loosing performance, specially the Ralph. In my opinion, the best XC tires available, and I'm looking forward to that 2.35 Ray.
    i just ordered 2.25s despite thinking a bit more width might be nice
    however at 625g 2.25, 770g 2.35 that is 145g for .1" which seems like a poor tradeoff

nothing on the schwalbe website to confirm details

will watch with interest...

pk1
    mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    i just ordered 2.25s despite thinking a bit more width might be nice
    however at 625g 2.25, 770g 2.35 that is 145g for .1" which seems like a poor tradeoff

nothing on the schwalbe website to confirm details

will watch with interest...
    now confirmed at https://www.schwalbe.com/en/offroad-...acing-ray.html
    770g for 29 x 2.35

maybe i'm being too much of a weight weenie but that just doesn't seem like a good tradeoff, especially when people like LMN have commented that a 2.0 with an insert rides better than a 2.2 without - plenty of insert options <145g

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    770g for 29 x 2.35

maybe i'm being too much of a weight weenie but that just doesn't seem like a good tradeoff, especially when people like LMN have commented that a 2.0 with an insert rides better than a 2.2 without - plenty of insert options <145g
    Huh... I wonder if the 2.35 is significantly higher volume/larger tread over the 2.2 for that extra heft.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Love the Forekaster/Rekon combo!

Forekaster 2,35 on the front 25 mm rim - 2,29 actual size
    Rekon 2,25 rear - 2,23

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Heist30 View Post
    Just used the barzo's in a 2.35x29 and loved 'em..they are a touch on the heavy side and felt the heft (700+ grams is a bit much..or could've been my fitness) but still they were nice and sticky. did a 100 marathon race in super wet conditions and they shed dirt really well (worried about that looking at their tread pattern) and held up to some really rocky east coast (US) conditions.
    This was my first time stearing away from a schwable RaRa's and RoRo's which i used to be just sold on and glad i experimented...Wish they were lighter but still a solid XC race tire
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

mtbr member
    770g for 29 x 2.35

This summer I took off my RR tires and weighed them. They were 720 each. That was the end of those tires. I'm now on spesh s-works renegade on the front and fastrak on the back. The front Renegade is 2.3 but she slides a lot, even on hardpack. I bet it's a 1-2 inch slide I need to account for in my turn. Took a long time to get use to it. The RR corned awesome but 720 is way too heavy.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MrEconomics View Post
    This summer I took off my RR tires and hi toweighed them. They were 720 each. That was the end of those tires. I'm now on spesh s-works renegade on the front and fastrak on the back. The front Renegade is 2.3 but she slides a lot, even on hardpack. I bet it's a 1-2 inch slide I need to account for in my turn. Took a long time to get use to it. The RR corned awesome but 720 is way too heavy.
    Out of curiosity, why do you run a Renegade in the front and the FT in the back? I'd be nervous if I was consistently getting front wheel drift though it wouldn't bother me on the rear.

mtbr member
    Mar 2016
    Anyone heard when the new Aspen that Nino was running this year will hit the market?

mtbr member
    Dec 2016
    Got a new Fast Trak with the transparent sidewalls. 29x2.3 Weight was right at the claimed weight of 640g.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just got some dual compound Forekaster 29x2.2s for next spring. I keep 2 bikes, the fs bike is for dry, and the old hardtail is mud/B bike, so the forekasters are going on the B/mud bike, weights range from 638 to 664 (with hangtag and zip tie). I just weighed an Ardent Race 2.35 I had on that bike last year, 784g...
    I just got my new carbon wheels from my team shop (1425g, 200g less than previous), and I'm looking at saving some tire weight on that bike too. I'm leaning towards 2.25 Barzos for the fs bike; real tread/sidewall and reasonably light.
    skidding is the signature of the novice; learn how to use your brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have three rides in on my new Pivot Mach 4SL. Very nice. It has Ardent Race 2.2 tires front and rear. The front seems to grab well and hold lines but the rear spins out too easy on technical climbs. Just when I stand to get over the ledge, the tire spins out. I weigh about 160 and run the tires at 23lbs front and 24lbs rear. Had Mavic Crossmarks on the back of my previous bike and had no such problems. What's a good rear race tire in 2.2 to 2.35 size for So Cal loose over hardpack?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jdcowboy View Post
    I have three rides in on my new Pivot Mach 4SL. Very nice. It has Ardent Race 2.2 tires front and rear. The front seems to grab well and hold lines but the rear spins out too easy on technical climbs. Just when I stand to get over the ledge, the tire spins out. I weigh about 160 and run the tires at 23lbs front and 24lbs rear. Had Mavic Crossmarks on the back of my previous bike and had no such problems. What's a good rear race tire in 2.2 to 2.35 size for So Cal loose over hardpack?
    I'd try the Vittoria Barzo.
    I didn't find the 2.35 AR to be bad as a rear, but it's a bit heavy (784g), I raced it in some muddy events last spring and it was ok. I think you might want just a bit less pressure. I used an old Crossmark for summer fun riding, I was surprised how good it gripped for climbing.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I ride in similar conditions. I like the Forekaster out back when I'm losing grip.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Try dropping the pressure before looking at new tires. I have a Mach 4SL as well and I weigh a little more than you and run 20 front and 22 rear in Icons 2.2 and 19 to 21 in Aspens 2.25. I ride some pretty rocky terrain and haven't had issues with rim strikes.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucker View Post
    Try dropping the pressure before looking at new tires. I have a Mach 4SL as well and I weigh a little more than you and run 20 front and 22 rear in Icons 2.2 and 19 to 21 in Aspens 2.25. I ride some pretty rocky terrain and haven't had issues with rim strikes.
    Thanks. I'll do that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I'm narrowing down my choice for next early season (starts in late January near Seattle), and wouldn't mind some input from you guys. I'm using my hardtail as the 'wet' bike again, if it's going to be rainy I'm bring that, damp or dry I'll bring the fs bike, and that's the one I'm choosing tires for. I recently had the wheels rebuilt with carbon rims, they weren't a bad weight, but the new build saved 200g on the rims(!). Last year I used Mezcals, I was really happy with those, but if I go to a lighter tire I can save over 500g on the rims&tires from last season, which should have a real effect.
    I'm mostly looking at the Maxxis Aspen, and Rocket Ron, neither with heavier sidewalls, - I don't encounter a lot of sharp rocks. Aspen looks to be a little under 600g, RocketRon a little over, but with more 'substantial' tread. I probably couldn't go wrong with either. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The Rocket Ron would probably provide cornering grip more in line with the Mezcals. I don't mind mixing and maxing brands so you might like the Aspen rear and Rocket Ron on the front. I just don't think I have the skills to corner well with the Aspen on the front. Right now on my old hardtail I have a 2.25 Nobby Nic on the front and a 2.25 Aspen on the rear and that combination worked well for me.

My new hardtail came with 2.3 Fast Trak Controls on 25 inner width rims and they really hook up well but I'm tempted to get a 2.3 Renegade Control for the rear and see if it will roll a little faster than the Fast Trak.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Ended up deciding to go with Aspens Front and Rear (2.25). I kinda expected the Aspen to be a little bit skittish on the front, especially in loose over hard conditions, but it hooks up really nicely. Had one of my best results of the season last weekend on a highly technical, rocky and loose trail and they performed flawlessly. I don't think I have lost any cornering speed at all compared to the Ardent Race I took off.

I think it comes down to the side knobs being quite pronounced even though the centre knobs are relatively small. When you look at the tyre it really doesn't look like its going to hook up at all but then it just does. You quickly forget all about the fact that its supposed to be a fast rolling/low grip tyre and get on the with business of riding.

I originally put it on the front in anticipation of a stage race I have next week but I think Ill just leave it on for XCO racing as well.

mtbr member
    May 2019
    Ended up deciding to go with Aspens Front and Rear (2.25). I kinda expected the Aspen to be a little bit skittish on the front,....

I originally put it on the front in anticipation of a stage race I have next week but I think Ill just leave it on for XCO racing as well.
    They are my "go to" race tyre. They are amazing. I run very low pressures and they just get grippier. The only surface I have noticed a grip issue on is wet grass and trying to stop in a straight line.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Straight line traction isn't so much an issue for me but it depends on the rider/terrain I guess. I'd add extremely steep (20%+) sandy/deep gravel climbs as another "weakness" but its got to be pretty loose to break traction. Most XC tyres are going to struggle in those conditions anyway though. They really are pretty hard to fault IMO.

mtbr member
    2019 XC Race tires-fcd33aa1-9a9f-4f29-82d7-5c2795da119e.jpg
    Vittoria.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12