Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2016

2019 World Cup XC

I thought I'd start a new thread to kick off the new season. Given that most of the racers have just begun training for the 2019 season, one could say it's officially underway.

I have many questions. There are so many interesting narratives.

So, is 2019 the year we see Nino regularly beaten, is Gerhard Kerschbaumer the man to do it?
    Does Emily finally take a win, or is her new teammate going to steal the show again?
    What about Yana Belomoyna, can she overcome her injuries and compete for the overall again?
    Will the UCI do anything to improve the short track?
    Will Red Bull finally get their act together and gives us live on bike footage during the race? It's about to be 2019, the camera tech is definitely available and no longer expensive. Imagine how much a front and back facing camera would enhance the show...

Discuss.

World Cup schedule

27. – 28. April: Maribor (Slovenia) DHI
    17. – 19. Mai: Albstadt (Germany) XCO/XCC
    24. – 26. Mai: Nove Mesto (Czech Republic) XCO/XCC
    01. – 02. June: Fort William (Scotland) DHI
    08. – 09. June: Leogang (Austria) DHI
    05. – 07. Juli: Vallnord (Andorra) XCO/XCC/DHI
    12. – 14. Juli: Les Gets (France) XCO/DHI
    02. – 04. Aug: Val di Sole (Italia) XCO/XCC/DHI
    09. – 11. Aug: Lenzerheide (Switzerland) XCO/XCC/DHI
    06. – 08. Sept: Snowshoe (USA) XCO/XCC/DHI
    Last edited by Ketzal; 10-31-2018 at 09:33 PM.

Sneaker man
    Can't wait!

On short track, I think the start order for the XC race is good, I think the points should be much less towards the overall XC, but maybe there should also be a short track championship title as well. (2cents)
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    I'd love if the short track would be 2-times shorter than it is now! That equals more exciting racing and less fatigue for racers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I want shortracks to be different from the race track, of all the shortracks this year, I believe 2 were acceptable, all the remaining ones looked pretty boring and were just a succession of riders.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLover View Post
    I want shortracks to be different from the race track, of all the shortracks this year, I believe 2 were acceptable, all the remaining ones looked pretty boring and were just a succession of riders.
    Agreed. I feared Short track would basically be short cross race & some basically were. Add actual singletrack and and some more tech please so it's actually MTBing. I wouldn't mind if they were also even a bit shorter, like 15 minutes so it was a little more full out the entire time.

Would also love to see onboard cameras. Live stats like current speed etc would be cool too. Overall I am pretty happy with how Redbull is broadcasting the XCO events. Bart is getting better. Would be nice to have a retired female racer as a regular commentator as well.

I do think Nino is gonna win even less. But, no other male is more consistent and it seems dedicated to just XCO. He'll still win a couple.

Wonder if Neff is going to be allowed to run other brands of tires like Batty does on the Trek team? She won a couple races due to running proper mud tires if I remember correctly. Women's racing is amazing, should be another great year with so many potential top racers.

Sneaker man
    How about instead of short track, time trial, 1 lap of the XC course, like a qualifying lap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    How about instead of short track, time trial, 1 lap of the XC course, like a qualifying lap.
    Not a bad idea, though the "intention" of XCC is to be spectator friendly. I think the idea is for XCC to be a bit of a frenzy. The execution of that is debatable. Personally, I think it's interesting to watch, if not just for watching Langvad and MvdP murder the competition on the attack lap.

I think 1 lap solo TT would be awesome for riders with fewer UCI points (From the USA, both Swenson and Grotts would benefit tremendously). I'm just not convinced how spectator friendly it would be.

So basically:
    XCC - Awesome for some viewers, and awesome for some racers
    1 Lap TT - Awesome for probably fewer viewers, and awesome for probably more racers

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Some great points on the XCC. Seems the solution is fairly simple. It's just 3 changes.

1. Less points, as it really shouldn't heavily influence the overall.
    2. Absolutely, never run an XCC if the venue doesn't have a suitable loop including considerable technical sections, otherwise it's just a bad crit race on MTBs.
    3. Shorten the race a little to reduce the fatigue.

With those 3 changes I'm sure we'd all enjoy them more, as would the competitors.

Someone tell UCI, we the audience have spoken...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ketzal View Post
    2. Absolutely, never run an XCC if the venue doesn't have a suitable loop including considerable technical sections, otherwise it's just a bad crit race on MTBs.
    Just thinking hypothetically and playing devils advocate for the sake of discussion...

What if the XCC model was refined to more reflect what Epic Rides is doing for their series with the Crit on Friday’s? Seems the pros love it, the crowd loves it, and in RedBulls case easy to film.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    The main issue for the sport in the US is getting exposure. RedBull TV is a tiny niche at present - its app is not available on many set top boxes. We need to get on a big cable channel (or RedBull needs to become a big channel) so that people can see how awesome this sport has become, which will attract advertisers and transform the sport.

No knock on RedBull, they have improved significantly with the commentary and introductions to the races. But I can’t get RedBull on my TV and I hate watching sports on the computer (like many people).

I think the short track is a good addition to World Cups, regardless of technical sections. The races are short already - only about 25-30 minutes. Yes, it is like a dirt crit and is exciting for the same reasons. It takes a very strong rider with an explosive sprint or great breakaway ability to win.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    I use my ChromeCast to get it on the TV

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I would love to see a TT lap!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    can someone share the schedule for 2019 season ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Now that’s a great idea.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Nino wins less, but still wins overall. Women's continues to be the most interesting, in large part because no single rider dominates every race.

Face it, Nino's accomplishments are astounding, but make for a bit of a boring show. I know there's lots of racing right behind him, but I want to see action at the front.

Agree it would be awesome to get coverage on a "major" cable channel.
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    What if the XCC model was refined to more reflect what Epic Rides is doing for their series with the Crit on Friday’s? Seems the pros love it, the crowd loves it, and in RedBulls case easy to film.
    What was wrong with the XCC this season? I enjoyed it and it was fan friendly. Also by making the points heavy it ensures the top pros race it. If they all race it, then that throws the fatigue question out the window because all of them will be doing it. If someone chooses to sit it out then they have to start 3rd row and lose a bunch of points in the overall. If they win the XCO after sitting out the XCC, then kudos to them and maybe we'll have some different winners in the World Cup.

The downside of doing the fat tire crit is that it would be more dangerous with higher speeds and closer racing on pavement. But I do enjoy the Epic Rides fat tire crits.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by malayneum View Post
    can someone share the schedule for 2019 season ?
    From the 2018 thread:

Quote Originally Posted by bananajoe View Post
    Apparently the world cup schedule is as follow (ride.ch)

Mountainbike Worldcup 2019

27. – 28. April: Maribor (Slovenia) DHI
    17. – 19. Mai: Albstadt (Germany) XCO/XCC
    24. – 26. Mai: Nove Mesto (Czech Republic) XCO/XCC
    01. – 02. June: Fort William (Scotland) DHI
    08. – 09. June: Leogang (Austria) DHI
    05. – 07. Juli: Vallnord (Andorra) XCO/XCC/DHI
    12. – 14. Juli: Les Gets (France) XCO/DHI
    02. – 04. Aug: Val di Sole (Italia) XCO/XCC/DHI
    09. – 11. Aug: Lenzerheide (Switzerland) XCO/XCC/DHI
    06. – 08. Sept: Snowshoe (USA) XCO/XCC/DHI

Mountainbike Worldcup 2020

20. – 21. March: Lousa (Portugal) DHI
    25. – 26. March: Lourdes (France)DHI
    09. – 10. Mai: Losinj (Croatia) DHI
    22. – 24. Mai: Nove Mesto (Czech Republic) XCO/XCC
    06. – 07. June: Fort William (Scotland) DHI
    19. – 21. June: Vallnord (Andorra) XCO/DHI
    14. – 16. Aug: Lenzerheide (Switzerland) XCO/XCC
    21. – 23. Aug: Mont Sainte Anne (Canada) XCO/DHI
    12. – 13. Sept: Val di Sole (Italia) XCO/XCC/DHI
    18. – 20. Sept: Les Gets (France) XCO/XCC/DHI

World championships / Olympic games

28. Aug – 01. Sept: World championships Mont Sainte Anne (Canada) XCO/DHI
    25. – 28. June: World championships Albstadt (Germany) XCO
    27. – 28. Juli: Olympic games Tokyo (Japan) XCO
    05. – 06. Sept: World championships Leogang (Austria) DHI

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Please don’t wish for big network coverage. That’s what happened to cx and now they try charge you for everything.

Sneaker man
    ^this, got to admit, i'm pretty happy with how it is...maybe 1 or 2 more rounds might be nice, but other than that its all pretty good.

Oh and they could redesign the redbull tv app to be actually usable...but tiny complaints for a good thing thats free...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It looks like they scheduled the beginning of the XCO races to begin after the Spring Road Classics such as Flanders and Paris Roubaix so that MvdP wouldn't miss any races. Lol!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uec...e-men/results/

"I think for now the Olympics is the future. In 2020, I will be focused on the mountain bike and then maybe I will ride some more road after that"

So, it seems the goals are set, should be an interesting season if we see full dedication.

Sneaker man
    Just thinking, maybe we should get this made a sticky, till...er 2020

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    We need to get on a big cable channel (or RedBull needs to become a big channel)
    I don't know about your provider, buy on Comcast there is an Olympics channel that shows nothing but Olympic sports (plus old Olympics replays). I suspect it's more an issue that Red Bull owns the viewing rights in the US, so we are at the mercy, although I do like their coverage for the most part.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    The Olympics channel doesn’t show much of the Olympic cycling. They haven’t shown any reruns of the MTB races, to my knowledge. NBCSN shows some important road races (including TdF, some of the classics and, this year, the Vuelta but not the Giro).

NBCSN also shows an abbreviated (30-minute) version of UCI MTB World Cups and Worlds - but only after a two-week delay and 15 minutes each for boys and girls. Weak and nowhere near enough to make for good TV.

I just finished watching Rampage and, no matter how you feel about that event, the Red Bull coverage has really grown quite good. It was gripping for an MTB fan who knows how sick that riding is. Boil the four hour full broadcast down to 60-90 minutes and it would be dynamite mainstream sports TV. The MTB World Cups are already at that level at 120 minutes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I think Redbull's coverage is very good, especially for free. I absolutely hate trying to navigate through the app though.

Always pushing harder!!!
    Julie Bresset and Lukas Fluckiger going to BMC for the 2019 season per Instagram post...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Sam Gaze re-ups with Specialized for the next 2 years https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp2k0iuBcZw/

still no news about Kate Courtney (lately fewer pics with "specialized" on her jersey on instagram)

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pastronef View Post
    Sam Gaze re-ups with Specialized for the next 2 years https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp2k0iuBcZw/

still no news about Kate Courtney (lately fewer pics with "specialized" on her jersey on instagram)
    Kate is going to Scott with Nino.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by joeduda View Post
    Kate is going to Scott with Nino.
    yep, I hear the rumors. strange they waiting for the announcement

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    yep, I hear the rumors. strange they waiting for the announcement
    Her contract could go to the year end maybe?

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by csteven71 View Post
    Her contract could go to the year end maybe?
    yes, that could be, unlike Jolanda Neff who already rides a Trek (but still wears Northwave shoes and Adidas glasses, maybe she has a personal contract with them, or until Dec 31st too)

mtbr member

I just saw one yesterday or the day before on FB with her in Specialized on her rainbow Jersey. I don't think she will move. She had just one year in Elite so far and while expected to do well was not on the radar for the World Championship win. My guess is that she planned at least 2 years in Elite with Specialized with year 1 being a "learning year" and year 2 being the big push. Her worlds win is really good luck not part of the plan. Ideally win that at the end of you contract so you can ask for more. If I was Specialzied I would have given her 2 years (at least) to perform in Elite also and not want the pressure of needing big results in her first year in Elite. I would think she would ride better knowing she need not be perfect her first year out. Annika is the team leader anyway.

I could be wrong, but makes no sense otherwise.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I was thinking the same, but Spesh also cut Lea Davidson after she had 2 great years...so maybe they don't value their American females anymore. Not that I'd like to see it happen, but cut Howie and move money for the newly established champ Kate...

She has been riding in her Specialized stuff frequently though, but that might be the only kit she has since she's been under them for years now...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrobiker View Post
    I was thinking the same, but Spesh also cut Lea Davidson after she had 2 great years...so maybe they don't value their American females anymore. Not that I'd like to see it happen, but cut Howie and move money for the newly established champ Kate...

She has been riding in her Specialized stuff frequently though, but that might be the only kit she has since she's been under them for years now...
    Lea was cut I believe to make space for Kate. It does seem like good move. Kate is young and did well in Elite for her first year. You can only expect her to improve. Lea (nothing personal) is on the back end of her career and would not have given Specialized the publicity that Kate has. Kate wining the rainbow strips in year 1 is just a bonus. Remember a factory team like Specialized wants to win for sure, but they want publicity and Kate is bring that now. American company with American in Rainbow stripes. Yeah they want that. Plus she is nice looking and that nothing but more bonus. I am sure they want to keep her. Scott may want her too for the same reasons, but if I were Kate I would stay Specialized. Lots of money with that team/factory overall and she could have a long career there. She might make more on another team in 2019, but long term specialized can be good. Trek has good thing with Emily Batty for the same reasons. I would have pegged Neff going to Scott, but I guess Trek made a better offer.

All that said they way thing look from the outside are not like they are on the inside so it is all just a guess.
    Joe
    '18 Specialized Epic 29", Vassago Verhauen SS 29", '13 Santa Cruz Solo 27.5", XC, AM, blah blah blah.. I just ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Speaking of Specialized, I’d love to have a look at Kulhavey’s contract. Seems like he must have signed a ten year deal... He’s had moments of brilliance over the years, and outright dominance early on, but he’s just so oddly inconsistent. I wonder if a change in team could reinvigorate him.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018

talking about Grotts. last twitter and instagram post is from October 6th...

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    talking about Grotts. last twitter and instagram post is from October 6th...
    Seems that he took a whole month off. No activities on Strava as well until yesterday.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm happy to be called a social justice warrior.

In the end it's just about right and wrong. Don't let yourself be on the incorrect side.

Misogyny is so ingrained in our world that people do it without considering it as an overt action and sometimes without even really meaning (or processing the impact of) the words they are saying.

That doesn't mean their words and actions don't have a real effect on the people, individuals, and groups they are marginalizing (inadvertently or otherwise).

That's the end of my comments on this. Hopefully we can move this thread forward in a constructive manner and focus on the upcoming WC season.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Christopher Blevins is joining Specialized factory this year. Just saw that on Facebook.

mtbr member
    People are always judged on their appearance. It is a fact of life like it or not. Athletes unlike models are not to be selected based on appearance. They should be selected based on performance, but being attractive helps. Men do it and women do it. It happens in Tour de France riders. Kittel, Cancelara, etc yeah looks are always a factor when it comes to endorsements and sponsor value. It has no impact on performance, but when trying to sell a product looks have an impact. Not recognizing it is just putting your head in the sand to reality.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Even though I was gonna post about how much I disagree of JoePAz analysis on Kate's athlete career I read nothing "wrong" in it.

I suggest the one who brought up misogyny to learn its proper definition, because I have received numerous negative rep calling me a misogynist as well, for things that aren't, and what JoePAz wrote has nothing of misogyny in it.

I would say looks do matter, this is life, it isn't fair for everybody. An athlete that has good looks will have an additional advantage over one that is ugly, be that a man or girl.

I, myself, am pretty ugly, but it's easy to reckon that I were more handsome life would be easier, better job, easier to mate, better social treatment and so on. Being a girl even gives you more privileges in life, whether you are open to admit it or not.

It's funny, but if we were discussing some male the same way Kate was being discussed and brought his looks, nobody would be defending him calling them misandrists to those talking about his looks.

I'm sorry to tell you, but you are the problem briscoelab, you clearly can't discuss truths of life without calling others something you don't even understand.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    With more and more movement and re-signing of contracts these past couple days, I'm sure we'll get our answer where most the top mtb riders will be soon enough.

I did find it interesting Chris Blevins left Axeon to persue full MTB with Spesh. I feel as those that doesn't point to good signs for Howie, but we also questioned Spesh-Howie last year and he was still with them again....

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by chilla13 View Post
    Seems that he took a whole month off. No activities on Strava as well until yesterday.
    Part of his plan to recharge, and come back even fiercer, I hope!

mtbr member
    There for a moment I had to double check I was in the XC forum of MTBR and not RoadBikeReview...

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Avancini-Marotte-Fumic re-up with Cannondale until 2020. I like that

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Mani Fumic doing the Spitz-thing and getting on yet another olympic train. Much appreciated. Btw: the outer appearance of Fumic and Fontana was what got me into XC racing. „Yes, XC riders can be the cool cats in town“ and everyone at Cannondales marketing unit was satisfied...

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    girl's gotta do laundry!! Maybe reading into what she's wearing a littttttttllllleeeee too much lol

But on another thought: maybe this "training trip" is a way for her to clear the mind and make a decision on what's next. Why do I feel like once she goes home we'll know what's going on with her next....?

mtbr member
    girl's gotta do laundry!! Maybe reading into what she's wearing a littttttttllllleeeee too much lol

But on another thought: maybe this "training trip" is a way for her to clear the mind and make a decision on what's next. Why do I feel like once she goes home we'll know what's going on with her next....?
    Ha, I agree, just playing the game for the sake of 2019 speculation!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

The insider guy has never disappointed us before, so I'll believe its true she is going to Scott.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Generally, if a rider is staying with a team it is announced pretty early (October). If a rider is switching teams then there is no announcements until their contract with the old team is up, which in most cases is in January.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Generally, if a rider is staying with a team it is announced pretty early (October). If a rider is switching teams then there is no announcements until their contract with the old team is up, which in most cases is in January.
    unless you're Jolanda Neff and you announce it in October

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    unless you're Jolanda Neff and you announce it in October
    Which is why I did say in most cases

I suspect, the October announcement was due to an early ending of the contract with Kross. Grapevine is that team had some financial challenges mid-season and were probably more than happy to let someone else pay her salary for the rest of the year.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

I have received numerous negative rep calling me a misogynist as well, for things that aren't, and what JoePAz wrote has nothing of misogyny in it.

Being a girl even gives you more privileges in life, whether you are open to admit it or not.

It's funny, but if we were discussing some male the same way Kate was being discussed and brought his looks, nobody would be defending him calling them misandrists to those talking about his looks.

I'm sorry to tell you, but you are the problem briscoelab, you clearly can't discuss truths of life without calling others something you don't even understand.
    You claim to have wrongly accused of being labeled a misogynist and then promptly say:

"Being a girl even gives you more privileges in life, whether you are open to admit it or not."

Wow, just wow. Let me shed some tears for the plight of the "poor man" in our society... Few would not interpret this as a blatantly sexist and patriarchal statement. I would go further to hedge that it is in fact based on misogynistic aspects of your personality, but others might not agree.

Splitting hairs on the definition of misogyny to only reflect the pure hatred of women is weak sauce. Misogyny is manifest in many ways, including social exclusion, sex discrimination, hostility, androcentrism, patriarchy, male privilege, belittling of women, violence against women, and objectification.

No one would every bring up a male Pro XC racer's looks when it factors into contract negotiations. That's the whole point.

Kate is an amazing athlete and just won the World Champs as a first year elite. That is and should be good enough for us all the be excited about her future team prospects and career. To bring up her "looks" only belittles her efforts and accomplishments, whether you interpret it to or not.

Do beautiful people have advantages in certain social and professional interactions and situations? Certainly this is the case in life. But, that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to change that when it comes do professional trajectory (for both men and women). Your "truths of life" exist only because we allow them to do so.

I'm an advocate, an ally, and intolerant of bull$hit. More importantly, I'm happy to be part of the "problem" as you see it.

Now... let's get back to the thread folks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Still has Specialized shoes on though...

I'm hoping to see her stay on for another year. She seems like a great fit, but Specialized does ask a lot of their riders.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Yes, you won the World Champs, but we ask a lot from our riders...
    Meanwhile, Jaro gets it written into his contract that he's not allowed anywhere within 50km of ice in the off season...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Meanwhile, Jaro gets it written into his contract that he's not allowed anywhere within 50km of ice in the off season...
    No joke! You'd think that was enough. But they are pretty media and event intensive with their team. Winning races sadly doesn't translate directly into increased sales (what Specialized ultimately wants). The rider presence on social media, event's, videos, etc is what builds the brand.

Now, truth be told, I LOVE the coverage and web episodes they do at the races like Cape Epic and when they used to cover every WC XCO round. So, in a way I am part of the problem

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Even Specializeds budget for sponsorship is limited. Annika is a the top performer for the company in XC racing. Another world champ means another world champion salary.
    As for Jaro: he is a guy average riders look up to. Even if he is not winning, not even a top ten contender he has this aura of being just a brutal cycling machine being able to push 400w at will around him. And: who else is available? Gaze and Hatherly are already on Specializeds payroll. Kerschbaumer? Flückiger? Limited marketing potential, I guess.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I never noticed but she is pretty good looking!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chilla13 View Post
    Even Specializeds budget for sponsorship is limited. Annika is a the top performer for the company in XC racing. Another world champ means another world champion salary.
    As for Jaro: he is a guy average riders look up to. Even if he is not winning, not even a top ten contender he has this aura of being just a brutal cycling machine being able to push 400w at will around him. And: who else is available? Gaze and Hatherly are already on Specializeds payroll. Kerschbaumer? Flückiger? Limited marketing potential, I guess.
    Fair enough on the Dollars. Yes they are always limited. I would like to think Specialized wants to keep Kate. Lots of good potential there for a lot of reasons. Will she ask for more money? If her contract is up I certainly would, but I don't know that. The other thing to remember also is the overall marketing plan. What does Specialized want to do with her? I just saw an ad on Specialized's new Womens Seat. They had Allison Tetrick in the photo and video marketing materials. Supposedly she was part of drive to get seat made. True or not this Specialized using her as part of their marketing plan. So how would Kate Courtney fit in that marketing plan? And how much is worth to them?

All that said maybe Scott is going beyond that and replace Jenny Rissveds with Courtney. Seems like Rissveds departure hurt Scott for 2018 and probably left them unable to snag a big name replacement. Neff was the obvious choice, but she went Trek. So maybe? Buy as was the case with Jenny you never really know what it is going on behind the scenes.

BTW... I know it was revealed she stepped away from racing for personal heath issues, but is is there any word of her returning?
    Joe

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by JoePAz View Post
    BTW... I know it was revealed she stepped away from racing for personal heath issues, but is is there any word of her returning?
    There were some rumors she was trying to come back. But I've been hearing that it won't be this next season, sadly for us and the sport.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I suspect that Specialized is extremely interested in resigning her.

However, World champions generally get to go to the team of their choice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    There were some rumors she was trying to come back. But I've been hearing that it won't be this next season, sadly for us and the sport.
    I would love to see her comeback, but pro cycling can be cruel sport and it if it better for her to ride casually than to feel forced to compete at the highest levels then so be it.
    Joe

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Rissveds are looking for a comeback next year, the goal is Olympics.

She are healthy at the moment and going for next season.

I’m rather sure it will not be Scott as that mix is not good. She are looking to form her own team for next year.

A lot in media the last 4M since her win at the Nationals, the only race she did this year.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    eeeh?

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Batty will get a win in 2019, potentially multiple. My call is at Albstadt or Vallnord. She will be altitude adapted from her new home base, won't be traveling back across the pond as much, and is extremely lean these days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Udyr View Post
    Batty will get a win in 2019, potentially multiple. My call is at Albstadt or Vallnord. She will be altitude adapted from her new home base, won't be traveling back across the pond as much, and is extremely lean these days.
    I agree, just in the past two years I’ve noticed a maturity in that I think she’s getting her training and preparation dialed in to truly achieve her potential.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    You claim to have wrongly accused of being labeled a misogynist and then promptly say:

"Being a girl even gives you more privileges in life, whether you are open to admit it or not."

Wow, just wow. Let me shed some tears for the plight of the "poor man" in our society... Few would not interpret this as a blatantly sexist and patriarchal statement. I would go further to hedge that it is in fact based on misogynistic aspects of your personality, but others might not agree.

Splitting hairs on the definition of misogyny to only reflect the pure hatred of women is weak sauce. Misogyny is manifest in many ways, including social exclusion, sex discrimination, hostility, androcentrism, patriarchy, male privilege, belittling of women, violence against women, and objectification.

No one would every bring up a male Pro XC racer's looks when it factors into contract negotiations. That's the whole point.

Kate is an amazing athlete and just won the World Champs as a first year elite. That is and should be good enough for us all the be excited about her future team prospects and career. To bring up her "looks" only belittles her efforts and accomplishments, whether you interpret it to or not.

Do beautiful people have advantages in certain social and professional interactions and situations? Certainly this is the case in life. But, that doesn't mean we shouldn't strive to change that when it comes do professional trajectory (for both men and women). Your "truths of life" exist only because we allow them to do so.

I'm an advocate, an ally, and intolerant of bull$hit. More importantly, I'm happy to be part of the "problem" as you see it.

Cool, came to the forum to read about mountain bike racing and instead find a lecture from somebody suffering from self proclaimed PTSD over some comments. Get a grip...

Formerly of Kent
    eeeh?
    Broke his knee cap a year or two back. Walking to his car or something, IIRC.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016

You realize this is a bicycle forum, right? Get out of here with that negativity and political bs

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbadwrench View Post
    You realize this is a bicycle forum, right? Get out of here with that negativity and political bs
    Negativity? Political BS? He’s addressing a societal problem. If you think that talking about the bad things in the world is “negative”, that’s on you.

Personally, I’d rather recognize the problems and fix them, as opposed to pretending they don’t exist.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    Negativity? Political BS? He’s addressing a societal problem.

For the sake of a bike thread being about bikes. Is that carbon fiber or aluminum?

Formerly of Kent

2019 World Cup XC

Quote Originally Posted by mrbadwrench View Post
    For the sake of a bike thread being about bikes. Is that carbon fiber or aluminum?
    Well, the thread is actually about the 2019 WC XCO season. XCO, like other bicycle races, is raced by people. Men AND women.

So, when discussing bicycle racing and those that do it, and the things that those people are concerned with (contracts, teams, salaries, incentives, stipulations and the things that influence those items), it stands to reason that we could discuss disparities in salaries and what causes that.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Broke his knee cap a year or two back. Walking to his car or something, IIRC.

Shoot, I was hoping for a pickup hockey game story.....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Shoot, I was hoping for a pickup hockey game story.....
    This would have been a vastly better story. Or perhaps a biathlon accident, given his home town.

Sneaker man
    Broke his knee cap a year or two back. Walking to his Maserati* or something, IIRC.
    Fixed that for you

*essential sponsorship promotional opportunity

mtbr member
    I agree, just in the past two years I’ve noticed a maturity in that I think she’s getting her training and preparation dialed in to truly achieve her potential.
    Sadly I think she displayed serious lack of maturity (of a different type) hanging out with Lance Armstrong in the off season and posting about it on social media. Seems like she deleted the post now. Whether you respect his achievements, I don't think hanging out and training with him is appropriate.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by craign View Post
    Sadly I think she displayed serious lack of maturity (of a different type) hanging out with Lance Armstrong in the off season and posting about it on social media. Seems like she deleted the post now. Whether you respect his achievements, I don't think hanging out and training with him is appropriate.
    Can you elaborate on that? I can't think of a reason why riding with him in Moab would have anything to do with her maturity level. It'd be different if she said "To all you haters... roflcopter" or something, but she didn't.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeranzin View Post
    Can you elaborate on that? I can't think of a reason why riding with him in Moab would have anything to do with her maturity level. It'd be different if she said "To all you haters... roflcopter" or something, but she didn't.
    Hanging out and training with a known doper? And then glorifying that (and him) on social media? Cycling needs to put the past behind it and move on. Not glorify those who were cheating.

I always disappointed when I see someone from the new era of (hopefully clean) professional cyclists giving him the time of day. Particularly disappointing because it was an XC MTB athlete and one whom I was becoming more impressed with their recent racing performances.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by craign View Post
    Cycling needs to put the past behind it and move on.
    I agree. Which is why I'm confused why you're digging up the past. It wasn't really Lance being involved in doping that was the problem, it was how he treated the people in close proximity to him during it. So that more goes to how he's acted since, and he at least claims to be working towards mending those fences.

How exactly did she glorify doping? Or him? And let's be clear, Lance was damn fast before doping too. So, if you're someone who can gain from the experience of others (which is literally everyone), do you really not think Lance could have something to offer that isn't EPO?

mtbr member
    I agree. Which is why I'm confused why you're digging up the past. It wasn't really Lance being involved in doping that was the problem, it was how he treated the people in close proximity to him during it. So that more goes to how he's acted since, and he at least claims to be working towards mending those fences.

How exactly did she glorify doping? Or him? And let's be clear, Lance was damn fast before doping too. So, if you're someone who can gain from the experience of others (which is literally everyone), do you really not think Lance could have something to offer that isn't EPO?
    IMO, she dug up the past by associating with him .

I don't doubt that he has experience to offer. I just don't think it's appropriate that any current professional cyclist entertain his assistance (remember he is sanctioned). Particularly given as you point out, the way he treated his team mates and other colleagues during the period in question.

I didn't intend to get into an argument about this. Always hard to express your opinion clearly on a forum, would be easier over a beer.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Given how toxic the Lance's aura is, I also wonder why an elite athlete would associate with him, from any point of view seems to be poor judgement.

ccm
    aka Taprider

...And let's be clear, Lance was damn fast before doping too. ...
    His high school was full of dopers and he supposedly doped for triathlon prior to road biking, potentially leading to his cancers

mtbr member
    Lance made his choices. But like you said, cycling does need to move on.

I’ve sent people to prison for far worse whom have been more “accepted” upon their release having served their time and were allowed to continue on with their life in a manner that it didn’t turn into a “life sentence”.

Anyway... how bout that 2019 WC season eh?

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Lance made his choices. But like you said, cycling does need to move on.

I’ve sent people to prison for far worse whom have been more “accepted” upon their release having served their time and were allowed to continue on with their life in a manner that it didn’t turn into a “life sentence”.

Anyway... how bout that 2019 WC season eh?
    lots of riders will be getting busy to hunt down the Olympic Qualy points in the 2019 season... so the non WC UCI races should have pretty full fields as well. I'm looking forward to the Cape Epic and seeing how Sam Gaze goes in his first hit out

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    With more and more movement and re-signing of contracts these past couple days, I'm sure we'll get our answer where most the top mtb riders will be soon enough.

I did find it interesting Chris Blevins left Axeon to persue full MTB with Spesh. I feel as those that doesn't point to good signs for Howie, but we also questioned Spesh-Howie last year and he was still with them again....
    Chris Blevins is a huge talent in XC MTB for the USA. Now that he's focused solely on MTBing until the 2020 Olympics, I hope we see him realize his full potential.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by insidertrading View Post
    lots of riders will be getting busy to hunt down the Olympic Qualy points in the 2019 season... so the non WC UCI races should have pretty full fields as well. I'm looking forward to the Cape Epic and seeing how Sam Gaze goes in his first hit out
    Who is Sam's teammate for Cape Epic? I hope for his sake that Specialized has some better tires in production or he better be good at fixing flats like Kulhavy.

mtbr member
    Given how toxic the Lance's aura is, I also wonder why an elite athlete would associate with him, from any point of view seems to be poor judgement.
    Could it be that she just does not understand how bad his rep is? If I was a sponsor, I would have been calling her about it with questions.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    Chris Blevins is a huge talent in XC MTB for the USA. Now that he's focused solely on MTBing until the 2020 Olympics, I hope we see him realize his full potential.
    Agreed. Super excited to see Blevins focused on WC. seen him race locally here at Fontana and Bonelli and he is a very talented young rider that also seems to have a really good attitude which is always good for the sport and the team.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Australian duo Brendan Johnston and Cam Ivory teaming up for the Cape Epic next year as well. Will be interesting to see what they can do but I reckon a Top 10 finish is well within their capabilities. They are our two best XCO and XCM riders at the moment and both are very evenly matched.

Such a shame neither of them can get a ride in Europe on the World Cup circuit. I have no doubt they'd be Top 20 riders given the opportunity to race and train as full time professionals. Event though they are 1 and 2 in the country neither of them werre at the World Champs. Brendan Johnston is also by far our best XCM rider, probably Top 10 in the world but wasn't at the World XCM championships as MTBA just don't have the funding to support their athletes.

Anyway hopefully they do well and get some exposure to the bigger factory teams at the Cape Epic. They're both only 26 so there's still plenty of time to get picked up and have a shot at racing outside of Australia.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by daveinaus View Post
    Australian duo Brendan Johnston and Cam Ivory teaming up for the Cape Epic next year as well. Will be interesting to see what they can do but I reckon a Top 10 finish is well within their capabilities. They are our two best XCO and XCM riders at the moment and both are very evenly matched.

Such a shame neither of them can get a ride in Europe on the World Cup circuit. I have no doubt they'd be Top 20 riders given the opportunity to race and train as full time professionals. Event though they are 1 and 2 in the country neither of them werre at the World Champs. Brendan Johnston is also by far our best XCM rider, probably Top 10 in the world but wasn't at the World XCM championships as MTBA just don't have the funding to support their athletes.

Anyway hopefully they do well and get some exposure to the bigger factory teams at the Cape Epic. They're both only 26 so there's still plenty of time to get picked up and have a shot at racing outside of Australia.
    It's funny how there is unlimited funds if you're on the track (which 0.000000001% of people ride) but $0.50 if you're on mtb (which 70% of people ride)... cheers cycling australia.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by daveinaus View Post
    It is super hard, but in order to get a Pro-contract you have to do it on your own dime first.

When my wife was coming up we were super broke. She stayed in Canada and raced domestically when she had the speed to go and race WCs and crack the top 20. But we saved our money and waited until she had the speed to race in the top 10. Then we spent all of our money on a European race season, she got good results and landed a Pro-contract. It was a risk but it paid off.

The biggest challenge for non-europeans is when to go to Europe. If you go too early then you will spend a lot of money to get your arse handed to you, if you wait too long you stagnate on your domestic scene. It isn't an easy thing to do. And I think for those in the souther hemisphere it is even tougher.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Yeah absolutely, and I get that. But when your best riders aren't even at the World Champs and they don't make themselves available for selection at the Comm Games, (which was in Australia!) It's pretty obvious that there's something wrong there. I guess its just frustrating so see such talented riders not get a shot at the biggest stage simply due to the tyranny of distance (and money). Then again I'm sure that happens all the time.

We do have some very talented juniors coming through ATM (including last years World Champion) so perhaps they will be able to break through on the WC circuit.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    totally agreed! Dude has the power and skill to be a top contender for sure!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Who is Sam's teammate for Cape Epic? I hope for his sake that Specialized has some better tires in production or he better be good at fixing flats like Kulhavy.
    Simon, Alan or maybe even Jaro? I could see Simon and Alan teaming up to be the back up to Sam and Jaro...

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Simon, Alan or maybe even Jaro? I could see Simon and Alan teaming up to be the back up to Sam and Jaro...
    a lot of strong riders to choose from in a Specialized team - enough for 3 teams really.

Sam and Jaro are similar riders; strong, power riders. Is it a positive 2 have 2 similar style riders together or have a hill climber, who can pair with Jaro and combine the 2 different strengths?

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    a lot of strong riders to choose from in a Specialized team - enough for 3 teams really.

Sam and Jaro are similar riders; strong, power riders. Is it a positive 2 have 2 similar style riders together or have a hill climber, who can pair with Jaro and combine the 2 different strengths?
    The Cape Epic favors teams with at least one workhorse who can put the watts down on flats. Miles upon miles of flat-ish fireroads.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Totally. I wonder if they'd put Jaro/Howie back together once again since they're the defending champs. Or maybe, Belvins/Howie, Jaro/Sam, Simon,Alan(I put this pair together since they paired together for late season stage races already as is)

Formerly of Kent
    Whoa. Is Specialized fielding 6 guys in elite XCO races this year?

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    I seem to remember from last year that Sam will ride in the backup team for jaro and howie, but I could be mistaken

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast