2019 World Cup XC - Page 4- Mtbr.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzo7 View Post
    Gaze is out for an undetermined amount of time in order to recover from his consecutive injuries .

Let's hope he's able to race a few times this season.

Sent from my SM-J710MN using Tapatalk
    I know, but when in form he has a similar profile as MvdP with an enormous power.

But for tomorrow I think this is one od the best chances MvdP will get to take a win. To simple track for Nino and the others.

mtbr member
    Agreed! Gaze has a great sprint

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbikemad View Post
    Exactly, add a bit of mtb terrain so the mtb skills make a difference. Our U9 kids courses are more technical.
    It wasn't much different outcome regardless on track Best ones will still be up front, and bad ones can't play a role even if it would be asphalt all the way. Just cought few words on Red Bull TV today, with Schurter, Avancini, Courtney and Langvad and every single one agreed that track in Albstad is actually way better then after this changes then it was, even though not super technical, and in case of rain much better and safer then anything before. So if these guys like it, and at least some of them prefer more technical stuff, I guess it's not all that bad
    But as with every sport, you can have super technical or super easy track, guys and girls on top positions are always same. Some outsider won't win race regardless on track.
    Primoz

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    My predictions:

1. MVdP
    2.Nino
    3. Mathias Fluckiger

1. Neff
    2. Belamoina
    3. Courtney

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Interesting photo showing Nino's helmet covered for aerodynamic advantage in xcc, I guess they have ran some numbers and find it significant. Forster also had his covered.

2019 World Cup XC-p6pb17223340.jpg

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by primoz View Post
    It wasn't much different outcome regardless on track Best ones will still be up front, and bad ones can't play a role even if it would be asphalt all the way. Just cought few words on Red Bull TV today, with Schurter, Avancini, Courtney and Langvad and every single one agreed that track in Albstad is actually way better then after this changes then it was, even though not super technical, and in case of rain much better and safer then anything before. So if these guys like it, and at least some of them prefer more technical stuff, I guess it's not all that bad
    But as with every sport, you can have super technical or super easy track, guys and girls on top positions are always same. Some outsider won't win race regardless on track.
    Agreed.

It is the XC racers that make a good XC race, not the course. Some of the most boring races I have watched have been at MSA, which is super technical course.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Watching the pinkbike preview on the xco race felt so weird hearing Kate native English as opposed to everyone else's.

Kinda speaks as to how rare USA riders were in the top field of world cups.

Sneaker man
    Looking slippery as out there
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    What a weekend for Kate Courtney. Looking so strong and in control in both races.

Those new wood features were a menace in this weather, big crashes in the exact same way for both Kate and Anne Tauber, and another crash in a different spot for Jolanda Neff.

Big weekend for Chloe Woodruff as well! 6th place today and together with her short track points she is 4th in the overall! Along with Haley Smith in 9th and Catherine Pendrel in 12th, 4 North Americans in the top 12!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    what happened to Langvad and Batty? Not even close to the front?

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Langvad pulled out of the race in the first or second lap, and Batty finished 28th.

Sneaker man
    I like how fluckinger took off his sunnies, stuck them in his mouth...then did that crazy wooden Dh, then tossed them to the crowd ages later...

mtbr member
    It could really be one of those crazy back and forth races thanks to the wet conditions. Nino and MVDP went out so hard, might have been a mistake. TBD.

mtbr member
    When’s the last time Nino didn’t even podium?!

Sneaker man
    about 1932 seems like

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BxpbTldJXIM

Post from Annika about her race today

Up In Smoke
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    That's a good one, MVdP arguably one of the most technically skilled riders in the field.
    I stand behind this statement.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    When's the last time someone dropped a chain and still won a XCO race? Wow.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Great races, Nino doesn't do well in rainy conditions and today he basically rescued some points for the overall. I believe the men WC title will be a very tight battle between Nino and MVDP and with the shortrack points Nino will have to work extra hard to catch up MDVP.

Terrible race for Fortser, I wonder if he is okay, he look pretty injured.

Also, the field is really making that win for MDVP elusive as hell, which is good for us viewers. Fluckiger very strong in a track that doesn't suit him well, he will be one to watch for this season.

The women race was interesting as well, great races by the top 3, Kate managed the race well, Neff played it smart and grabbed second for overall title points and Yana all way from behind to an outstanding third place.

Shame on Anika retiring and Rissveds not even showing up to the race, I think everyone wants to see her racing even if she ends dead last.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Forster is in hospital, per scott-sram instagram. Rissveds was DNS with a cold apparently.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Some rather disappointing results for some of the top riders to open the season. Batty, Langvad and Schurter all finishing relatively poorly or not finishing at all in Langvad's case.

Batty, seeking that elusive first World Cup, barely cracks the top 30. Langvad was DNF in xc and was not much of a factor in short track. Schurter off the podium.

Is Albstadt an anomaly? Will the top riders I mentioned round into form as the season progresses?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Anton Cooper, front flat on lap 2 and 6...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dwperry View Post
    ....Big weekend for Chloe Woodruff as well! 6th place today and together with her short track points she is 4th in the overall! Along with Haley Smith in 9th and Catherine Pendrel in 12th, 4 North Americans in the top 12!
    No doubt. Kate's success is awesome, but the other mentioned finishes are absolutely incredible!

mtbr member
    Forster is in hospital, per scott-sram instagram. Rissveds was DNS with a cold apparently.
    Thanks for the info! I was wondering what had happened to Rissveds.

I was looking forward to seeing her race, and I was disappointed to hear no mention of her.

jms
    mtbr member

Carnage

Watched the replay of the Womens and the Mens as it happened on Redbull. Flueckiger and Sarrou were the only riders that seemed to have a handle on that course, in those conditions. Listening Brentjens commentary, the crushed limestone gravel added to the course, actually made the mud slicker.

I'll be interested in LMN's observations.
    My Favorite Peeps:

rider
    May 2016
    Anyone find a link to full XCO results?
    Keegan Swenson did pretty well I believe.

rider
    May 2016
    Pretty good coverage for first of season race - thanks Red Bull!

(Ask Sideline Ric to find some enthusiasm though eh?)

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by madfella View Post
    Anyone find a link to full XCO results?
    Keegan Swenson did pretty well I believe.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/final-...p-xc-2019.html

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Kate and Nino running Aspens in the semi-muck, front and rear. Interesting.

That metal covered wood crap is total BS. Made it WAY more dangerous on the downhills than dirt and mud. Plus, if you crash on it it's like a meat grinder.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Kate seems out of this world. She's 23 and already winning by these margins. I'm confident that she is well trained, not peaked and will only get faster as the year progresses. The american's are lazer focused on doing well in Mt St Anne cause that's how you qualify for the olympics. She might win by >2 mins later in the year as the courses get more technical and difficult.

I still think Nino will win the WC in Mt. St Anne. He's not as fit as he once was, so he can't win every single race. But the man has experience, knows his body and will likely pull out an amazing peak performance in September. It's amazing to me that a guy of his technical abilities does bad in mud. You'd think with his fitness level, it would benefit him.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Why do American women besides Kate Courtney wear Team USA kits and not their specific team kit (Chloe for Stans, Lea for Felt, etc)?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    Why do American women besides Kate Courtney wear Team USA kits and not their specific team kit (Chloe for Stans, Lea for Felt, etc)?
    I think it's because their teams aren't registered with the UCI. Others can probably confirm.

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by csteven71 View Post
    I think it's because their teams aren't registered with the UCI. Others can probably confirm.
    Correct. If your team isn't a UCI registered team, the your country's federation has to register you for the race and you have to ware national team colors.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    They are being supported by the US national team at those races. Generally, when you travel to an event with your national federation or state or provincial organization you have to wear their jersey.

As someone who runs a development team I can tell you it is super frustrating for the teams. Basically the team and the riders have to do all the heavy lifting. I provide the bikes, I find sponsors with cash to help with travel, the riders cover the fees that I can't. The sport organizations only offer support during the weeks and typically the rider has to pay for that support. Yet, despite the fact that the majority of the support comes through the team, they have to wear the provincial or federation jersey.

Makes it really hard for us to find and retain sponsors.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by carlostruco View Post
    Correct. If your team isn't a UCI registered team, the your country's federation has to register you for the race and you have to ware national team colors.
    Actually you don't. Or at least in practice there are a lot of riders on teams that are not registered with UCI racing in team jerseys.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Interesting races all around.

Mens:
    Nino and MVDP mades some poor pacing decisions that cost both of them a shot at the victory. Good to see that even the best in the world blow up horribly if they go out too hard. Too bad Foster didn't choose a wet conditions tire, he looked to be the guy to beat.

Womens:
    Nice see Kata confirm her early season form with such a dominant win. She will be hard to beat next weekend. I am surprised and also not really surprised to see Annika struggle. MTB is such a different beast then road and when people have been racing on the road they often struggle with the brutal first lap of an XCO race.

On the personal side.
    I was super excited to see Peter D. crack the top 20. I knew from his training that it was in range. Actually, he under performed a bit on the day. He was a little bit nervous and didn't want to throw away a top 20 by going for a top 10.

Catharine is close to riding like her old self. At 39 everything is harder but she is close.

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Did I miss something? Where was Maja Włoszczowska?
    "Here! Comes! SHYA-TAH!!!!!"

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Say what you want but that was fun and exciting to watch. Nice, smart and strong race from Flueckiger, I'm very happy for him.

MvdP has a line of young honesty, post race interview saying that he was stupid to go with Nino at start, and that he had a fun race.

Folks here saying he hasn't got the skills in the XC mud can recheck their calibration devices.

If they hadn't fixed the course before, this would be unrideable.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tewks13 View Post
    Did I miss something? Where was Maja Włoszczowska?
    Sick. Decided to skip the first two rounds to get healthy.

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Actually you don't. Or at least in practice there are a lot of riders on teams that are not registered with UCI racing in team jerseys.
    Thanks for the correction!

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

2019 World Cup XC

Anyone else notice how terribly Neff’s Tires were working for her?

Was she on a terrible mud packed Xr2 and not a Maxxis she was comfortable with? She looked like a fish out of water.

Super happy for Fluekinger...what a great post race interview. Good for him for racing his race and having that success.

Edit: she is on xr2. No freaking way that belongs in the mud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Any thoughts on the course post race,I haven't seen any comments on social media concerning how the track raced

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    RE: Maja

Thank you!
    "Here! Comes! SHYA-TAH!!!!!"

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLover View Post
    Interesting photo showing Nino's helmet covered for aerodynamic advantage in xcc, I guess they have ran some numbers and find it significant. Forster also had his covered.
    Also of interest, apparently he had the "vibration damper" stickers on his bike too. So...I take all race setup with a grain of salt.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Annika wrote up some rather long posts on her social media about her road racing "adventures." Apparently, she wanted to try it just to try it. Unfortunately, it's impacted her early season form adversely.

It seems any sort of break from routine effects these girls adversely: Neff with a changeup in equipment, Batty with a new teammate, Annika with her offseason road racing adventure.

Courtney switched teams as well, but likely with a big pay bump, and at least she was able to keep her mechanic lol.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Forster's 2nd crash.....rung his bell....
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/lars-f...t-crashes.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Neff- Early on in the race her bike seemed to be bouncing around much more than the others. It was very noticeable on a long climb as they took a tight left hand hairpin. So I thought pressure more so than tire choice was an issue.

Anika- From her instagram I would not be surprised if she was suffering from overtraining. Her power numbers might be great but she sounds to be losing motivation. After the Cape Epic then several road races she might need a break.

Flukiger- Impressive race. He was driving hard all the way to the line. Never buckled physically or stacked it even when he should have been tired and prone to mistakes.

Belamoina- My vote for most impressive race. Had to have the fastest lap in the women field and maybe a couple of the fastest laps as she came from WAAAy back.

Woodruff- Steadily moving up in WC. Nice to hear Rob saying her name this year. He seemed uncomfortable pronouncing her name last year and resorted to skipping her name every single time they showed her last year. Very good weekend for her.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post

Edit: she is on xr2. No freaking way that belongs in the mud.
    Amazingly Kate C won using Maxxis Aspens, far less tread than the XR2 if that is what Neff was on. Last year Neff ran some true mud tires and cleaned up in one muddy race, can't recall which one. But it was not a Maxxis.

What tires was M Flueckiger running? Look like an actual knobby tire. Beavers?

Edit: I think MF had a Racing Ray on the front, and I think the same on the back.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Amazingly Kate C won using Maxxis Aspens, far less tread than the XR2 if that is what Neff was on. Last year Neff ran some true mud tires and cleaned up in one muddy race, can't recall which one. But it was not a Maxxis.

Edit: I think MF had a Racing Ray on the front, and I think the same on the back.
    Aspen's are actually OK on wet rocks and roots, terrible in mud but on slick surfaces they work pretty well. Combine that with what looked like 14psi in her tires and she had some reasonable grip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoAgain View Post
    Neff- Early on in the race her bike seemed to be bouncing around much more than the others. It was very noticeable on a long climb as they took a tight left hand hairpin. So I thought pressure more so than tire choice was an issue.
    I think that is normal for her due to her high rpm pedaling style, it does look very bouncy at times.

mtbr member

I think Kross is partnered with Mitas tires for XCO, or was last year.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    BB Copeland said 16/17psi....Also he has stated there will be an XRC30 wheel set soon, not sure if Kate is already riding that or not. Sounds like tire noodles were in her tires too.

jms
    mtbr member
    It's going to be an interesting first month of the season, with the opening races so close together, and then another pair a month afterwards. Holy periodization!
    Last edited by jms; 05-21-2019 at 06:54 AM.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Mar 2019
    He certainly had the wobbles...in most football codes he would've been pulled off for a concussion/head injury test.

Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    Forster's 2nd crash.....rung his bell....
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/lars-f...t-crashes.html

jms
    mtbr member
    Aspen's are actually OK on wet rocks and roots, terrible in mud but on slick surfaces they work pretty well. Combine that with what looked like 14psi in her tires and she had some reasonable grip.
    Thanks for the insights Keith. Congratulations to you and Catharine @ Albstadt and best destiny @ Nova Mesto. Long range weather forecast for Sunday? How does that course ride in the rain/wet?
    My Favorite Peeps:

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Thanks for the insights Rick. Congratulations to you and Catharine @ Albstadt and best destiny @ Nova Mesto. Long range weather forecast for Sunday? How does that course ride in the rain/wet?
    https://m.pinkbike.com/news/olympic-...h-husband.html

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Yep, I like the Aspens because they dont pack mud. I use them on wet limestone, but of course I dont have the 170 tpi versions. You could tell how extremely low her pressure and Tauber's were when they hit the road.

chasing simplicity
    Lars Forster out for Nove Mesto, per Pinkbike.
    Never underestimate an old man with a mountain bike.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jms View Post
    Thanks for the insights Keith. Congratulations to you and Catharine @ Albstadt and best destiny @ Nova Mesto. Long range weather forecast for Sunday? How does that course ride in the rain/wet?
    Unfortunately I am not in Nova Mesto. I have some grade 10 math to teach instead. This week is all about systems of equations.

But Nova Mesto is a rooty beast. In the wet it is slippery but in a fun way, unlike Albstadt. Nova Mesto is generally considered the "funnest" course on the circuit. It is the one which everybody loves to do laps of.

jms
    mtbr member
    Unfortunately I am not in Nova Mesto. I have some grade 10 math to teach instead. This week is all about systems of equations.

But Nova Mesto is a rooty beast. In the wet it is slippery but in a fun way, unlike Albstadt. Nova Mesto is generally considered the "funnest" course on the circuit. It is the one which everybody loves to do laps of.
    Dooh! Would it be bad to play hooky? ; )

https://www.wunderground.com/hourly/...ate/2019-05-26
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Emily Batty has uploaded stories with her comments on the track at Albstadt on IG. She cites Anton's post on that, and she calls the track "extremely manicured".

I'm obviously interested in the race because these athletes will make it interesting on any track, but I'm disappointed by the track's reduced technical difficulty.

Funny how the whining riders ended up in the far end of the pack at the finish line

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rallymaniac View Post
    Funny how the whining riders ended up in the far end of the pack at the finish line
    To be fair Anton had two flats. In his original post, he left the door open with 'let's hope this wears in'. I took it as commentary that he did not want to see a general reversal of the trend towards making courses more technical. I did not see his post 9 days out as whining. After he finished MSA with a torn sack I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. That's some street cred he can tap into for a while.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Was able to watch the women's race today. Neff was flying on the DH sections, way faster than the other girls based on watching. I don't think her tires were the issue. Kate was so steady and was climbing great and certainly had her issues with traction just like everyone else. Kate was just better on the day IMO.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    Was able to watch the women's race today. Neff was flying on the DH sections, way faster than the other girls based on watching. I don't think her tires were the issue. Kate was so steady and was climbing great and certainly had her issues with traction just like everyone else. Kate was just better on the day IMO.
    do you have a link?

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    The world cup races are archived on redbull.com

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/vi...:live_programs

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/vi...:live_programs

Emily Batty acknowledged her poor showing posting on instagram. She blames overexertion and overtraining during the 2018 season. I think she also mentioned somewhere she is heavily focused on peaking for mt. st anne in september and then the olympics in 2020. Lofty goals indeed.

It's not unusual for racers to show less than ideal form at the start of a season, either in xc racing or in other sports. I don't know if this is a pattern for batty or not: I assume it isn't.

mtbr member
    Jan 2017
    thanks Mysharona

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mac View Post
    do you have a link?

thanks
    https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/vi...inals-albstadt

Edit: looks like you already have it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Maybe time to start looking into all the women's that have outed problem with stress, overtraining and so on.

We have Maja, Rissveds, Batty and so on. The trend with upcommers like PFP, Rissveds and more young stars peaking at a young age and then problems, hope Kate is not it burning it to much.

For me the striking impact from U23 riders have put a high competition in the field and the small margins have accelerated the problem. Adding volume or intensity have got them to get quick results but maybe suffer longterm.

Or other reflections?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Watching Neff vrs Kate I'll stick with my old argument that Neff is still spinning while others are hammering a bigger gear. Neff is still scary fast on the downhills she has amazing skills/courage watching her fly down that mud rear tire power sliding the corners my viewing buddy said "here comes crazy!"

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    Maybe time to start looking into all the women's that have outed problem with stress, overtraining and so on.

We have Maja, Rissveds, Batty and so on. The trend with upcommers like PFP, Rissveds and more young stars peaking at a young age and then problems, hope Kate is not it burning it to much.

For me the striking impact from U23 riders have put a high competition in the field and the small margins have accelerated the problem. Adding volume or intensity have got them to get quick results but maybe suffer longterm.

Or other reflections?
    Hard to say that burnout is only a problem in the women's field. I would actually say it is a way bigger issue in the men's field. Who other than Nino has performed with any kind of consistency in the last 10 years?

The reality is most riders have 1 maybe 2 years of magic and then they spend the rest of their career trying to find that combination again. To be at the top over multiple years is extremely rare. That is why since 2000 there has only been five riders who have won 10 or more world cups (Nino, Gunrita, Pendrel, Absalon, and Neff).

From what I understand Kate has a really good team behind her. Everybody she is working with has done this before. I think her form is being managed very carefully.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    From what I understand Kate has a really good team behind her. Everybody she is working with has done this before. I think her form is being managed very carefully.
    I'm no insider like you, but from the outside, I think there's evidence of this when you listen to her interviews. She seems to really be emphasizing consistency over any one race result now. I think that's a very Scott mindset, though I'm not sure if it's Nino or Frischknecht that drives it. Either way, it definitely seems like they want to be the team that shows up to every race.

mtbr member
    It really does seem like Kate Courtney has put herself into a great team setting her up for career success. From her polished interviews to her race tactics. Although polished no answer answers during interviews are boring when you've heard a zillion of them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post

Or other reflections?
    Langvad, 35: overtraining from off season road racing

Batty, 30: overexertion/burnout from the '18 season

Rissveds, 24: conflict with sponsors and swedish team, mental health and depression

That's three of the top five riders in women's xc.

I'm not sure who PFP is, and haven't heard much about Maja.

Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    It really does seem like Kate Courtney has put herself into a great team setting her up for career success. From her polished interviews to her race tactics. Although polished no answer answers during interviews are boring when you've heard a zillion of them.

Possibly. However, Rissveds had a near disastrous relationship with Scott, and hasn't raced again in World Cup since 2017 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Hard to tell what the outcome will be. Most everyone believes Courtney had a great relationship with Specialized, yet she left abruptly, no 'thank you's' on the way out either.

Courtney did an interview with Velo or Pinkbike where she claims that Scott was in contact with her for half a year to a year, in effect grooming a relationship with her. In other pro sports, this is "tampering." Team officials are not allowed to contact players on other teams except during specific periods of free agency.

It seems like there are no such rules with pro mtb teams, so they didn't do anything "wrong" technically speaking, but it still seems a little shady to maintain long term contact with a rider on another team. Perhaps it was Courtney who reached out to them and didn't disclose that in her interviews?

Anyway, all of this is idle speculation. We don't really know what's going on behind the scenes.

Rides all the bikes!
    Whoops, people already responded...

PFP had 4 World Titles in one year. Then fell apart.

https://www.velonews.com/2014/12/roa...-prevot_354256

mtbr member
    There has been a lot of burn out and mental health issues, but I think it is a bigger issue that many people are facing. Add it the pressure of pro athletics in an endurance sport, the constant training... Some are going to be actual physical burn out, but it seems like many are more depressed with the modern issues of online life & health issues.

There have been others not already listed. Maybe it is just the fact people are actually speaking about the issues now and more open? Young people seem to be in a difficult place and many get depressed.

I always get a bit worried when a top XCO rider tries too much other racing, cyclocross in the fall or too much road in the spring. The fact MVDP is able to just keep going and going is amazing and kinda scary. I know he is young etc, but he is human (as far as we know).

Nino has been pretty focused and I think it has paid off over his career. Attempted the road a bit, but didn't take it too far and I'm guessing he did it to round out some fitness more that a serious attempt to compete. Two years back during his perfect season, he was even saying that he was worried that he was not fresh at the last couple of races.

The level of fatigue is so high, it's going to affect all parts of a persons health.

Up In Smoke
    Money could have something to do with it. I'd imagine some of these guys/ladies are having a hard time making ends meet, and when the results aren't there its time to start looking for a real job.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mysharona View Post
    Langvad, 35: overtraining from off season road racing

Batty, 30: overexertion/burnout from the '18 season

Rissveds, 24: conflict with sponsors and swedish team, mental health and depression

That's three of the top five riders in women's xc.

Possibly. However, Rissveds had a near disastrous relationship with Scott, and hasn't raced again in World Cup since 2017 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Hard to tell what the outcome will be. Most everyone believes Courtney had a great relationship with Specialized, yet she left abruptly, no 'thank you's' on the way out either.

Courtney did an interview with Velo or Pinkbike where she claims that Scott was in contact with her for half a year to a year, in effect grooming a relationship with her. In other pro sports, this is "tampering." Team officials are not allowed to contact players on other teams except during specific periods of free agency.

It seems like there are no such rules with pro mtb teams, so they didn't do anything "wrong" technically speaking, but it still seems a little shady to maintain long term contact with a rider on another team. Perhaps it was Courtney who reached out to them and didn't disclose that in her interviews?

Anyway, all of this is idle speculation. We don't really know what's going on behind the scenes.
    I think we are going a bit far here on our speculation.

Langvad has had an amazing season by any measure. Yes, she struggled at the first race but it is only one race. And there is a cold going through the field right now. Let us not count her out just yet.

Emily has been off form all spring, but she was off form all of last spring too. And Emily has been racing forever, she has been a full time racer for the last 15 years. You race long enough you are going to get it wrong at some point.

As for Kate and Specialized riders switch teams for many reasons. Some times a team just isn't a good fit for them. Specialized is a big corporate team, pluses and minus to that.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Sam Gaze will be on the start line in #118.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Nino uploaded his power numbers from Albstadt to Instagram. They're madness!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NordieBoy View Post
    Sam Gaze will be on the start line in #118.
    Yes! I just saw his IG post about it. He'll line up on Sunday for the XCO race. Not enough points to line up for the XCC.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Yes! I just saw his IG post about it. He'll line up on Sunday for the XCO race. Not enough points to line up for the XCC.
    Hope he completes the race without issue. Just to build confidence.

mtbr member
    Hope he completes the race without issue. Just to build confidence.
    Definitely! He'd benefit considerably from a consistent and incident-free race after his last experiences.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mysharona View Post

PFP is Pauline Ferrand Prevot.

Maja has been battling infections since the Cape Epic ended. Seems that she's more prone to them lately.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Maja has been battling infections since the Cape Epic ended. Seems that she's more prone to them lately.
    The cold hard reality of aging.

Things are just harder in your mid to late 30s. The special combination of train, rest, and body weight is narrower. Things that you got away with in your 20s you don't any more.

rider
    May 2016
    The cold hard reality of aging.

Things are just harder in your mid to late 30s. The special combination of train, rest, and body weight is narrower. Things that you got away with in your 20s you don't any more.
    Yes, but you have other advantages. Experience, understanding of strategy, resilience to life stress, knowledge of your body. The list goes on. For aging athletes, I say to firmly reject the above type of thinking. You can destroy younger competition well into your late 30's/40's, with the right mindset.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Yes, but you have other advantages. Experience, understanding of strategy, resilience to life stress, knowledge of your body. The list goes on. For aging athletes, I say to firmly reject the above type of thinking. You can destroy younger competition well into your late 30's/40's, with the right mindset.
    This is probably true for most of us, but for WC athletes I suspect there is less forgiveness.

rider
    May 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by winters.benjamin View Post
    This is probably true for most of us, but for WC athletes I suspect there is less forgiveness.
    The performance of the older ladies in particular would contradict that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    Whoops, people already responded...

PFP had 4 World Titles in one year. Then fell apart.

https://www.velonews.com/2014/12/roa...-prevot_354256
    She didnt fell apart, big problem with her leg and last year they found the problem

and this was in her leg https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv14nYcFVhr/

and 3 month after the surgery she is racing at top level, so you are bit unfair...

Always pushing harder!!!
    Is this a new Trek bike?

Hhmmm...

mtbr member
    Yes, new bike. Someone in the comments at pinkbike shared some other photos.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/spotte...p-xc-2019.html

mtbr member
    Is this a new Trek bike?

Hhmmm...

This is the bike that spurred my question to LMN about the usefulness of a “soft tail” on the World Cup circuit given the rumors it has 25mm of rear travel. Really hoping those are crap and it’s closer to 100.

ccm
    aka Taprider
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarhead View Post
    She didnt fell apart, big problem with her leg and last year they found the problem

and this was in her leg https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv14nYcFVhr/

and 3 month after the surgery she is racing at top level, so you are bit unfair...
    What is that?
    An alien fetus?

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Easy to say harder to do.

My wife at 39 is now the fastest of the "old" athletes. She is really close to where she was in her prime, but those last 2 or 3kgs do not come off like they use to and those peak power numbers take a lot more work to achieve. Features involving risk are approached with a bit more hesitancy. The difference is small but it the difference between being a top 5 rider and being a top 12 rider.

Being in my early 40s I see it in myself. Particularly, when it come to risk aversion. I just am not comfortable with being as close to the edge as I was.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Did anyone made something off of Nino's power numbers?

At first notice they seemed quite strong, but on second analysis I found them quite underwhelming, not saying they aren't impressive, but I thought they would be higher.

Do you know if there are there any power data being shared from a top 20 women in the same race?

If anything, it seems it was quite tricky to put the power down on those conditions.

e.g.

His Np for a 2.30 climbing interval were:

NP 423W, 421W, 441W, 429W, 421W, 412W, 401W - avg 421w

Gives 6.2 W/kg

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Did anyone made something off of Nino's power numbers?

At first notice they seemed quite strong, but on second analysis I found them quite underwhelming, not saying they aren't impressive, but I thought they would be higher.

Do you know if there are there any power data being shared from a top 20 women in the same race?

If anything, it seems it was quite tricky to put the power down on those conditions.

e.g.

His Np for a 2.30 climbing interval were:

NP 423W, 421W, 441W, 429W, 421W, 412W, 401W - avg 421w

Gives 6.2 W/kg
    The power numbers were low for the mens race.

One of the guys I coach had his career best ride with a 19th. His numbers for same climb were consistently around 410NP, and 390 average. 72kgs. His norm power for the race was 350ish. Earlier this year he did a race with a norm power of 375. The slippery conditions definitely reduced power outputs.

Womens: 12th place same climb was 250ishNP for a 52kg rider. Assuming Kate is 52kg, I would guess that she averaged 260-270 for same climb.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Link for redbull tv XCC starting in 10 minutes.

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/li...bike-world-cup

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Link for redbull tv XCC starting in 10 minutes.

https://www.redbull.com/int-en/tv/li...bike-world-cup
    Thanks for the reminder, I always forget the xcc starts

Formerly of Kent

2019 World Cup XC

Annie Last needs to get some solid black shorts to go with her white UK champ jersey. The KMC-Ekoi-Orbea kit looks bad enough with the normal jersey but the white jersey puts it over the top.

Great effort by Chloe Woodruff. KC is way, way too uptight when she sprints. Got rolled by people whose heads were a foot lower than hers.

Death from Below.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    What a ride by Chloe! Nice to see someone take a risk!

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    SO AWESOME!!!!!! Pivot is gonna be stoked!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    This is the bike that spurred my question to LMN about the usefulness of a “soft tail” on the World Cup circuit given the rumors it has 25mm of rear travel. Really hoping those are crap and it’s closer to 100.
    I highly suspect it’s a single pivot with a 68.9 degree HA to say it’s “68”

Will have 90-100 rear and aim for sub 1900 frame/shock combo to best specialized and some other brands with similar designs. Dub crank and Stepcast to come in at 21 pounds no pedals.

This is what the market calls for these days. Anything else is kinda stupid.

It would not surprise me if this was only made in carbon (at least at first) and the top fuel is the aluminum bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Yeah it was crazy how the field couldn't (didn't want) chase her, specially since she is third overall. Amazing ride by Chloe.

This feels like they are slowly rediscovering race tactics well known in road cycling.

mtbr member
    What is Avancini doing? Bad decision dude.

mtbr member
    Agreed, great for her, outstanding effort. I imagine she was able to get away cause she is not a top 3 racer, well played.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Keegan's up there right now, hope he's got legs for this last lap!
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP - VP of Business Development
    Pivot Cycles - Team Rider

No. Just No.
    LMN: your guy Peter had a great race, with lots of camera time and shout outs from the commentary. That was a change from the previous week when his name didn't even get mentioned in the commentary for a career-best result that made the second page of results, while they were talking about several other riders on that page.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    LMN: your guy Peter had a great race, with lots of camera time and shout outs from the commentary. That was a change from the previous week when his name didn't even get mentioned in the commentary for a career-best result that made the second page of results, while they were talking about several other riders on that page.
    Incredible race. My phone is absolutely blowing up right now.

I am now slightly nervous about how my next four weeks is going to be. He arrives on monday for a 4 week training camp with me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    KC is way, way too uptight when she sprints. Got rolled by people whose heads were a foot lower than hers.
    I'm guessing you meant to say "upright" rather than uptight?

No. Just No.
    Incredible race. My phone is absolutely blowing up right now.

I am now slightly nervous about how my next four weeks is going to be. He arrives on monday for a 4 week training camp with me.
    For the amount of work the group was letting him do on the front I was starting to get a little worried he'd be swarmed in the final lap and slide way back, but he held tough and defended his position fantastically to ensure only a few could come around him in the final minute. He squeezed out what was realistically the best possible outcome from the work he put in. The XCO should be a good course for him (I think). Crossing fingers and toes for Sunday.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    Definitely. It was a spectacular result for their new Pivot Mach 4 SL, and Chloe raced impressively well.

Strong performance from MVDP again. I'm happy for his win because he's one of my favorite riders, but I worry that it was too much of an effort so close to Sunday. I hope he can win the XCO.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    That is why since 2000 there has only been five riders who have won 10 or more world cups (Nino, Gunrita, Pendrel, Absalon, and Neff).
    Let's not forget about Christoph Sauser, 11 wins between 2001 and 2008

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bananajoe View Post
    Let's not forget about Christoph Sauser, 11 wins between 2001 and 2008
    So easy forget just how good Sauser was.

Always pushing harder!!!
    Is it me or the camera shots were on point? Nice views of the action!!!

mtbr member
    Is it me or the camera shots were on point? Nice views of the action!!!

The coverage was set up great!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Exactly what I thought. Excited for her.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    So easy forget just how good Sauser was.
    That dude is something else. He came out of 'retirement' to contend the 2017 Cape Epic and handily beat teams with big marathon names: Platt, Lakata, Hynek, Avancini, etc. It was incredible to watch. Missed the top spot by a small margin to Nino's team. https://www.cape-epic.com/riders/the-2019-race/results (filter by 2017 results)

Interview with Sauser: https://www.cape-epic.com/news/923/s...of-retirement/

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Wow. US women are on a role. Haily Batten won the U23 race today. Although she does live in Canada half the year....

mtbr member
    Chloe did one heck of a break. VDP tried something similar...except that they just about caught him at the line! TDF style.

Chloe looked to be on some really narrow tires?

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    I had the pleasure of meeting Chloe at the Oz Trails Epic last year. She is humble and down-to-Earth. So awesome to see her hard work pay off! She completely dusted the field. At the beginning of the race Bart said something like “it’s almost impossible to break away from the field”.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    It there somewhere to watch the U23 races?

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jrob300 View Post
    It there somewhere to watch the U23 races?
    Only one place.
    Live.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Only one place.
    Live.
    Well that sucks. I really needed an XC fix tonight.

Sneaker man
    Langvad is out acording to her instagram, but rissvids is in, so thats good (and bad)

gunna be great, 6pm womens, 915pm mens, then 11pm monaco GP, topped up the internet quota, i'm set for tonight.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    That was a race

Sneaker man
    yeah was a cracker! bit of a downer with the mechanicals, but thats racing.

mtbr member
    Man that sucks for Tauber, so strong all day. Neff is such of a wildcard, if only she could climb like she decends.

Super happy for McConnell and Smyth - great steady riding.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Holy smokes what a race. Courtney had a flat but was still there in the end to take the win. Tauber with an incredibly strong ride, and a devastating mechanical in the last lap dropping her to 10th. Enormous results for Rebecca McConnell and Haley Smith, Neff hanging in there in podium position before a last lap flat tire. Malene Degn's and Sina Frei's first podium.

What a weekend for the Americans, taking all the women's races, U23, ST, and XCO. Devastating for Tauber

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Interesting. The fastest lap of the women's race by a huge margin was done by Haley Smith on her last lap.

Always pushing harder!!!
    Interesting. The fastest lap of the women's race by a huge margin was done by Haley Smith on her last lap.
    She looks to be getting stronger each race!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2018

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skarhead View Post
    Bart and Rob were just talking about the new 2.4 tires on Nino's bike. I noticed some basically slick tires before the short track on Firday. The have almost no tread, must be running an insert probably and super low pressures. Weight for tires is no longer as a important thing I guess.

Sneaker man
    Blimey!

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Great result at 8th for Ulloa Arevalo, he did well at some races in the US earlier this season. Good to see MVDP so happy to finally get that win

mtbr member
    I saw his sprint finish!

Great result at 8th for Ulloa Arevalo, he did well at some races in the US earlier this season. Good to see MVDP so happy to finally get that win

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

2019 World Cup XC

Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    Langvad is out acording to her instagram, but rissvids is in, so thats good (and bad)

gunna be great, 6pm womens, 915pm mens, then 11pm monaco GP, topped up the internet quota, i'm set for tonight.
    NBC Gold package?

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by j102 View Post
    NBC Gold package?
    na i have to use evil foxtel worse luck.

mtbr member
    Only one place.
    Live.
    Actually Czech state TV was airing it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't avalable anywhere else.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Never mind all the congrats. How good is modern XC racing? Both the men's and women's race were spectacular.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    From the best all around cyclist in the world:

“For me, it is one of the biggest achievements for me winning a world cup in mountain bike is one of the toughest things I can do,” van der Poel.

mtbr member
    Never mind all the congrats. How good is modern XC racing? Both the men's and women's race were spectacular.
    It is amazing and Red Bull’s production and delivery has got really good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    It is amazing and Red Bull’s production and delivery has got really good.
    Maybe it's because it wasn't Red Bull production. It was CT Sport, Czech national TV. They have been doing TV coverage every year in NMnM from the start.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JayDee81 View Post
    Maybe it's because it wasn't Red Bull production. It was CT Sport, Czech national TV. They have been doing TV coverage every year in NMnM from the start.
    Didn’t know that, it was outstanding and I change my critique to; RedBull... do what they do!

mtbr member
    Jan 2018

2019 World Cup XC

Quote Originally Posted by mik_git View Post
    na i have to use evil foxtel worse luck.
    Ok. I was hoping for a review of the NBC Gold platform.
    Last edited by j102; 4 Weeks Ago at 07:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    It is so good that it's pretty quickly converting my die hard runner fiancee into an aspiring XC racer. Waiting for races is like waiting for Christmas as a child.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Gold package is the bomb! get it SX and Mx also

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    That final attack by MvP was just savage. Nino could barely respond.

Was a straight up ankle-breaker crossover in basketball terms.

Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Or "dropping a watt bomb" in cycling terms.

mtbr member
    GCN would call it a Wattage Bazooka . I like the sound of that one.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I think I'm still in a state of shock that someone rode Nino off their wheel like that. I keep replaying that wicked acceleration over and over again in my mind. I know it was bound to happen at some point, but still.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Nino and MvdP devastated the field. The difference over the rest they made was huge.

I really echo LMNs quote on MvdP recognizing the effort to win an XCO WC race.
    Coming from a racer that is virtually unbeatable in CX and wins one day classics by shaking monument winners off his wheel, that is telling quite a lot. Well deserved and good to see open competition again.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well deserved win by MDVP. Nino and him really decimated the field as Nino used to do alone. However on that attack by MDVP, Nino had absolutely nothing to respond, didn't even try for a few seconds.

Such a shame for Tauber, it sure looked like she was gonna win.

Rissveds a respectable 33th.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Nothing against the riders who were winning a lot in recent years, but it's really fun to see races where the outcome is so much in doubt. And it's so awesome to see racers that are pumped over career best results - even if it's not a win or podium finish.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by winters.benjamin View Post
    I think I'm still in a state of shock that someone rode Nino off their wheel like that. I keep replaying that wicked acceleration over and over again in my mind. I know it was bound to happen at some point, but still.....
    Anyone have a link to it. I can't find one online.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by bogeydog View Post
    Anyone have a link to it. I can't find one online.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    https://www.redbull.com/int-en/events/AP-1XJS6F3JN2111

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Really disappointed to find out that Van Der Poel won't be in Snowshoe WV this year. I am planning on watching the race, and was looking forward to seeing him battle for a win in person.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by le_pedal View Post
    Really disappointed to find out that Van Der Poel won't be in Snowshoe WV this year. I am planning on watching the race, and was looking forward to seeing him battle for a win in person.
    I'm really hoping that Soldier Hollow gets a WC venue spot. It's pretty easy to access, a really fun track, and awesome for spectators too. Snowshoe, on the other hand, was not my favorite, to say the least.

Formerly of Kent
    Just got around to watching the Nove Mesto men’s race.

1) Impressed by MvdP’s bike handling. Again. Kept pace with the best in the business.

2) I wish they had better coverage of the attack. Probably didn’t anticipate anyone going in the feed/tech zone, so a lack of cameras there makes sense. He was broadcasting that he was about to go. But Nino couldn’t do anything at all when he went. No response.

Death from Below.

rider
    May 2016
    Kinda a shame that van der Poel won. I mean, it sort of discredits the whole World Cup now.
    Whoever wins overall (presumably Nino), the lingering notion is that if vdP had of contested them all, he would have won the overall.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    It is never a shame that a stronger rider wins and we can't speculate on that. Last week the story was completely different.

In the attack through the tech zone MvdP put 15 sec on Nino, in a 45 sec segment.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Kinda a shame that van der Poel won. I mean, it sort of discredits the whole World Cup now.
    Whoever wins overall (presumably Nino), the lingering notion is that if vdP had of contested them all, he would have won the overall.
    It’s not a shame that we have the pleasure of watching probably the best cyclist in the world right now (per Bart Brentjens) compete seriously in our sport before he goes to the road post-Olympics. I whooped out loud when he dropped that final hammer. It doesn’t discredit anything about MTB that he found this more difficult to do than dominating Cyclocross.

I’m sure MVdP would contest the overall if his body didn’t badly need a break.

Image if we got to see Sagan race elite World Cups. That wouldn’t have been a shame either.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Where is Howard Grotts? He’s hardly raced at all this year.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I would not be so confident he will go all road after the olympics. He really seems to be enjoying the XC racing and the diversity of taking all disciplines is probably making him happier and thus less prone to burnout. I don't see him racing XC out of courtesy nor should the sport be humble and gratefull he is here.

If he doesn't sign a WTour contract binding him to road, we will probably see him all across, and he doesn't seem eager to sign anything out of Circus.

If one is smart and can afford it, this switching back and forth is the best approach, and if you look at Canyon sponsoring him, they want him on all three bikes

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well take in to account MDVP is in a better shape than most right now. Nino, Fluckiger, Avancini are all starting the season and far from their peak, coincidentally those WC MDVP will lose is where he would do his worst.

Winning one WC is a good thing for him, consistently winning through the season would be more impressive, but he won't race all season.

Always pushing harder!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    Where is Howard Grotts? He’s hardly raced at all this year.

Apparently Epstein–Barr virus took him out of racing and training for a while.He pulled out of the Cape Epic in March almost last minute and has raced very little since...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I have not heard anything of Grotts since he dropped out of the Cape Epic earlier this year. And I can't find any news, either.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/03/mou...onships_485697

Always pushing harder!!!
    I met Ulloa a couple years back in the 2015 Contiental Champs in Colombia, and he was already very fast. I could be wrong, but I think for a few years (and maybe this also) he based his Europe campaign on the Czech Republic...se he was basically at home...

mtbr member
    One interesting and chaotic thing this past weekend was the starting procedure again. After the new start light system in Albstadt, for some reason they were gone from Nove Mesto where a whistle was used on Friday but apparently a fan with a whistle caused a false start, and after that fiasco, UCI resorted back to the good old start gun for Sunday races?

I'm not sure what they're testing exactly but neither the lights nor the whistle works.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    but apparently a fan with a whistle caused a false start
    If you're sabotaging a race, are you really a fan? I really hope that person was ejected. It's annoying for the racers in the front, and potentially dangerous for the racers in the middle of the pack start positions. I'm happy that nothing ultimately bad happened because of that.

mtbr member
    One interesting and chaotic thing this past weekend was the starting procedure again. After the new start light system in Albstadt, for some reason they were gone from Nove Mesto where a whistle was used on Friday but apparently a fan with a whistle caused a false start, and after that fiasco, UCI resorted back to the good old start gun for Sunday races?

I'm not sure what they're testing exactly but neither the lights nor the whistle works.
    I have been a commissaire for MTB. We were trained to immediately start the race if there was a false start, and everyone was already staged (so basically in the last 30 seconds). So if someone blew a whistle, you blow the whistle to start the race as fast as possible.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I have been a commissaire for MTB. We were trained to immediately start the race if there was a false start, and everyone was already staged (so basically in the last 30 seconds). So if someone blew a whistle, you blow the whistle to start the race as fast as possible.
    And that is exactly what happened in Nove Mesto.

Sneaker man
    I was a bit dissappointed with the start light, bit of an anticlimax for sure, the whistle, well the was better (apart from the issue)...but back to good old start gun, much better... it was a Start, not an...off you go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Looking at the replays from the races yesterday evening I started thinking about how different the riders are sitting on the bikes, some sit very upright. Specifically Mathias Fluckiger and Kate Courtney seem to be a lot more upright than the rest of the riders.

Is it a tradeoff to have better handling in the downhills or just a preference? Watching Kate Courtney sprint in the short track race looked really slow (well not slow compared to me, but still...)

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    It‘s just personal preference and anatomy in combination with bike geometry. Typically riders with short femurs tend to sit very upright. No rider will stay seated during the downhill.
    Watching even elite level mountainbikers sprint seems awkward to me too. You can see that they are out of their comfort zone.

mtbr member
    And that is exactly what happened in Nove Mesto.
    Yes, that is how it is to be handled.

I wonder if the starting light went away due to visibility issues? If some are not looking at the light or just can not see the light where they are lined up, or behind another rider etc.

For what it is worth, I generally look at the starters mouth if they have the whistle sitting in their mouth, when they close there lips to blow it, I go!

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Arrggh, so now what are we supposed to talk about for another month? Need More Races!

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by forrest_m View Post
    Arrggh, so now what are we supposed to talk about for another month? Need More Races!
    Ft William?

mtbr member
    I think Rob Warner had a great idea when he said Trek should supply jolanda Neff with a DH rig so she can race while she's at fort William watching her BF.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by ewarnerusa View Post
    I think Rob Warner had a great idea when he said Trek should supply jolanda Neff with a DH rig so she can race while she's at fort William watching her BF.
    Would be interesting to see Neff try some enduro races too. XC fitness with downhill chops would be dangerous.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by notsendy View Post
    Would be interesting to see Neff try some enduro races too. XC fitness with downhill chops would be dangerous.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/news/joland...round-2-1.html
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    It wasn’t even a close race either. 15 secs to the next finisher.

Up In Smoke
    Not uncommon in women’s DH, or when an elite racer shows up to a regional race.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    The Proffix Swiss Bike Cup #4 Gränichen Women is live streaming right now at Swiss Sport TV youtube. Sina Frei and Joland Neff leading. Elite Men after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYY4ZnnZRpA

Sneaker man
    The Proffix Swiss Bike Cup #4 Gränichen Women is live streaming right now at Swiss Sport TV youtube. Sina Frei and Joland Neff leading. Elite Men after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYY4ZnnZRpA
    Nice, cheers

mtbr member
    Annika Langvad crashed on her MTB today and had a few breaks and a fracture

More info and pics on her IG.

I hope she recovers quickly and completely.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Sam Gaze won a race in Spain...

Always pushing harder!!!
    Fabio Castañeda from Colombia caught doping...

chasing simplicity
    Nino won handily over a strong WC field, sans MvdP of course

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Train Wreck View Post
    Not uncommon in women’s DH, or when an elite racer shows up to a regional race.
    To add more perspective - the top two favorites at that race got hurt in practice and didn't race.

Formerly of Kent
    Just watched the women’s race from the Swiss Bike Cup #4.

No joke, the woman who led for the first 6:00 or so was at least a foot taller than Sina Frei. Made Jolanda Neff look tiny, too.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

No joke, the woman who led for the first 6:00 or so was at least a foot taller than Sina Frei. Made Jolanda Neff look tiny, too.

Is that relevant to the WC discussion in any way? Perhaps you were gonna say something else about it.

btw

Sina Frei is having a great elite season, she will be fighting at the top, hopefully we can see a podium from her this season.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004

Looks like Sina is 4' 11" and 101lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Sina Frei is having a great elite season, she will be fighting at the top, hopefully we can see a podium from her this season.
    She already was on the podium in Nove Mesto, taking 4th in her second ever elite women WC!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    She already was on the podium in Nove Mesto, taking 4th in her second ever elite women WC!
    Woah, yeah I wasn't paying attention. In previous UC 23 races I remember Sina and Kate battling it out and they were pretty even, so its good she is already being competitive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    MvdP has posted the rest of his summer schedule. It concludes with the Road Race World Championships in England and the Tokyo Olympic MTB test event in October. He is not doing the MTB World Championships.

chasing simplicity

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I don't have a lot of knowledge about Olympic qualifying or anything like that, but a year ago I gave it a 20% chance that MvdP was going to end up doing the Olympics in road. I just felt like he was going to dab his feet and get better than expected results and make the switch.

The pessimist in me has upped that to 50%.

mtbr member
    Jul 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by exodus1500 View Post
    I don't have a lot of knowledge about Olympic qualifying or anything like that, but a year ago I gave it a 20% chance that MvdP was going to end up doing the Olympics in road. I just felt like he was going to dab his feet and get better than expected results and make the switch.

You're probably right. It will still be enjoyable to watch him go after the road title, but I'd prefer if he stuck to the original plan and chose the MTB race.

mtbr member

Couldn't he race both road and MTB at Olympics?
    I would consider him a lock for a medal in MTB at the Olympics if he doesn't crash or mechanical.

I was really hoping he would race at MSA this year to see how that would go.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Couldn't he race both road and MTB at Olympics?
    I would consider him a lock for a medal in MTB at the Olympics if he doesn't crash or mechanical.

I was really hoping he would race at MSA this year to see how that would go.
    Im not sure why he wouldn't, but them again, I am not sure why Sagan didn't in 2016 either. The races were 2 weeks apart.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Im not sure why he wouldn't, but them again, I am not sure why Sagan didn't in 2016 either. The races were 2 weeks apart.
    Sagan felt the Rio road course didn’t suit him (too much climbing) When GVA won I think he regretted not racing.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast