Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by westernmtb View Post
    https://cyclingtips.com/2018/02/olym...mental-health/

According to this article the problem laid not just with the Swedish Cycling Federation but it's manager in particular Anders Bromee.

There's no mention of a dispute between Rissveds and the Scott SRAM team.

The article claims that stress from family issues along with tensions with Swedish Cycling, not any problems with Scott-SRAM led her to take a leave from racing.
    I know that the main problem was said to be the Swedish Cycling Federation but my opinion is that it is not that simple, eating disorders and depressions should have been seen by the team and they should have made sure she got professional help.

Why would she choose to not go back to Scott-SRAM if there were no problems with the team? I think Scott-SRAM started looking for alternatives mid 2018 once it was clear Rissveds did not want to come back to them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier78 View Post
    I know that the main problem was said to be the Swedish Cycling Federation but my opinion is that it is not that simple, eating disorders and depressions should have been seen by the team and they should have made sure she got professional help.

Why would she choose to not go back to Scott-SRAM if there were no problems with the team? I think Scott-SRAM started looking for alternatives mid 2018 once it was clear Rissveds did not want to come back to them.
    A pro mtb team doesn't have the expertise to diagnose clinical depression or eating disorders.

They do have the expertise and resources to provide bicycles, mechanics, resources for travel, coaching and other resources necessary to compete.

I don't know of any professional team that provides in-house mental health counseling or monitors it's athletes for specific problems that may or may not full under the category of mental health, such as eating disorders. I don't even know of any teams that even provide referrals for such problems.

It's not even clear if Rissveds ever made her mental health problems or eating disorder known to anyone on the team. If so, how could they have known?

In the NBA for example, Kevin Love recently talked about his struggles with anxiety. No one knew about this problem. He kept it to himself. He did not ask any team officials for assistance so none was offered.

You're insisting upon a level of personal and private knowledge on the part of Scott SRAM that would be intrusive. An athlete is under no obligation to discuss personal health or family issues. She did eventually divulge these issues publicly, but no team can be expected to pry so deeply as to probe for mental health problems or family matters. Whatever blame you place on Scott SRAM is 100% unwarranted.

You're not simply implying but openly blaming negligence on the part of Scott SRAM and there is zero evidence of such. If anything, Scott SRAM clearly acted as an advocate, offering common sense advice on the illegality of the extremely unreasonable demands on the part of SCF, especially Anders in particular. They also attempted to negotiate a compromise agreement which again the SCF rejected.

Scott SRAM acted ethically and did as much as they could within legal limits. Now you ask them to know every detail of Rissveds' personal life and emotional state and make everything perfect too? Impossible.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    All I am saying is that it is never that simple that it is only one side to blame (in this case SCF) for such a complex issue as mental problems. I don't know (and I don't think you do either) what was said and done between Rissveds and Scott-Sram.

Of course a team cannot know everything an athlete goes through, but they still spend a lot of time together during the year both training and racing and eating disorders seems to be quite common among young athletes so my personal opinion is that it is something a team should look out for.

mtbr member
    Dec 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Skier78 View Post
    All I am saying is that it is never that simple that it is only one side to blame (in this case SCF) for such a complex issue as mental problems. I don't know (and I don't think you do either) what was said and done between Rissveds and Scott-Sram.

Of course a team cannot know everything an athlete goes through, but they still spend a lot of time together during the year both training and racing and eating disorders seems to be quite common among young athletes so my personal opinion is that it is something a team should look out for.
    You're playing "white knight" games here. If the athlete in question were male, you would have no such problems with any supposed or alleged negligence. And you seem to imply more than that: Scott SRAM was somehow actively out to undermine her. Ludicrous!

If eating disorders were actually to become a priority, 90% of professional cyclists would have to go into treatment immediately. You are trying to paint Rissveds as a martyr completely neglected by the stupid, insensitive boors on Scott SRAM. In case you fail to realize:

1. Rissveds is an adult. She is responsible for seeking help herself if she has significant problems. Sweden is a 1st world country, no? Exemplary health care system, no? She has access to all necessary resources. All she has to do is admit the problem. She didn't so her team would never know.

2. Scott SRAM could not predict the events in her family life, nor force her to avoid depression or anxiety as a result. To blame Scott SRAM for her mental health challenges is so stupid, it's beyond belief.

3. Rissveds had a problem with Anders. What should Scott SRAM have done? Make them "an offer they can't refuse?" Send Luca Brasi? Put a horse's head in his bed? Her team acted reasonably and within the law. They negotiated a compromise, which Anders and SWF reneged on.

Your insistence on blaming SRAM is borderline idiotic. I am tempted to call it the sexism of low expectations. You are assuming women don't have control over their own lives so they must be handheld and coddled the entire way by omnipotent, omniscient men whose only purpose is to protect women from any melancholy or hurtful experiences.

This is liberal delusion of the worst order. Rissveds is an adult. She encountered challenging circumstances and took time off to address them.

Stop demonizing her former team. They did nothing wrong. Your allegations against them are completely unfounded. They are 100% delusional. Step back into reality.

Primative Screwhead
    "So if we agree to Jenny riding in a POC helmet, it would be the beginning of the end. It could then continue to become a much larger problem.Ē T Frischknecht

Step back into reality? Like the corporate reality of shareholders in Scott SRAM being protected over the well-being of an individual?

Her withdrawal from the worlds was framed as a fight of 'supportive' teams against illogical bureaucrats and middle men, but at the core are the repeated statements of protecting contractual agreements of team sponsors.

Good luck, Kate.
    Ego maniacs please object to my posts.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by westernmtb View Post
    https://cyclingtips.com/2018/02/olym...mental-health/

According to this article the problem laid not just with the Swedish Cycling Federation but it's manager in particular Anders Bromee.

There's no mention of a dispute between Rissveds and the Scott SRAM team.

The article claims that stress from family issues along with tensions with Swedish Cycling, not any problems with Scott-SRAM led her to take a leave from racing.
    What I heard was that Scott and the swedish federation didn't care for her at a personal level, she was merely treated as an asset and these two entities were willing to sacrifice her to prove a point.

Despite all circumstances an agreement could have been made if they wanted to, but both of them would rather put Jenny in a bad position.

A world champion and she was not allowed to race, merely because of greed. However that is how capitalism work and I would say she has learned that lesson, sadly.

That's why I think she left Scott and won't ever come back.

J-Flo
    Apr 2012
    Not sure why the rehash of the Jenny-Worlds-Scott vs Sweden idiocy, but it always appeared to me to indicate some combination of immaturity/poor organization of the sport (the sponsorship contracts should have anticipated this kind of conflict and provided a means to resolve it) and obstinacy of one or more of the personalities involved. We can all agree that keeping the reining champ out of Worlds was the worst possible result of the conflict. Itís almost as stupid as shutting down the whole government over a disagreement about 0.5% of the budget. This one should have been much easier to solve.

Similar issues must arise in other sports. What happens when an Adidas athlete runs for the Nike-sponsored US Olympic team?

Regardless, I would bet good money that this kind of bs sponsorship conflict, even if it were to arise, wonít prevent Kate from racing Worlds at MSA this year.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    Regarding the male ranks, I really hope that 2019 will see Kerschbaumer at the podium of the overall WC.

This guy is amazing - would you believe that a top pro rider can train at that level without power meter, without gps and ... without odometer?
    Italian only, but worth the google translation:

https://www.pianetamountainbike.it/r...top-rider-naif
    flyMTBfish

Primative Screwhead
    Quote Originally Posted by zgxtreme View Post
    Took me a min to figure out the puzzle and check her page in lieu of my feed.

From a certain perspective, it could read piecing myself together out of darkness, rather than a sponsorship announcement. Would seem fitting given the tone of her last few insta posts. It's funny how interpretations differ.

As for why this is being "re-hashed," these discussions are ok! It is healthy to allow space for talking about human vulnerability and the need to look out for one another in this corner of our world. Here's a link to a good resource if anyone needs support with mental health:

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/person...rting-yourself

It would be wonderful to see JR healthy and happy; bonus for us if she returns to elite mtb also.

mtbr member
    Mar 2018
    2019 World Cup XC-scottsram.jpg

From Scott-sram insta

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Flo View Post
    Not sure why the rehash of the Jenny-Worlds-Scott vs Sweden idiocy, but it always appeared to me to indicate some combination of immaturity/poor organization of the sport (the sponsorship contracts should have anticipated this kind of conflict and provided a means to resolve it) and obstinacy of one or more of the personalities involved. We can all agree that keeping the reining champ out of Worlds was the worst possible result of the conflict. Itís almost as stupid as shutting down the whole government over a disagreement about 0.5% of the budget. This one should have been much easier to solve.

Similar issues must arise in other sports. What happens when an Adidas athlete runs for the Nike-sponsored US Olympic team?

Regardless, I would bet good money that this kind of bs sponsorship conflict, even if it were to arise, wonít prevent Kate from racing Worlds at MSA this year.
    Yep. Scott team should have/could have anticipated these issues with the federation WELL ahead of time.

If they actually cared about their athlete and having her race, they would have mitigated what they could have and dealt with the rest of the fall out. In the end, they dropped the ball on sorting out the issues ahead of time and decided it better to not allow her to race than use some non-sponsor equipment.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLover View Post
    A world champion and she was not allowed to race, merely because of greed. However that is how capitalism work and I would say she has learned that lesson, sadly.
    So capitalism is to blame? Because capitalism = greed? Seriously? Do you realize that there would be no World Cup race series period without capitalism? Is there a vibrant race series in Venezuela or Cuba right now? Iím so tired of grown adults who prosper in capitalistic societies constantly taking a dump on capitalism.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Feideaux View Post
    "So if we agree to Jenny riding in a POC helmet, it would be the beginning of the end. It could then continue to become a much larger problem.Ē T Frischknecht

Step back into reality? Like the corporate reality of shareholders in Scott SRAM being protected over the well-being of an individual?

Her withdrawal from the worlds was framed as a fight of 'supportive' teams against illogical bureaucrats and middle men, but at the core are the repeated statements of protecting contractual agreements of team sponsors.

Good luck, Kate.
    Yes, this is how the world works. Sponsors wonít fund a team if they canít get a guarantee their products will be represented. When you interview for a job do you tell the company that you may or may not show up for work?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/dvv...e-men/results/

MvdP took his 23rd (!) victory of the season in cx yesterday. Maybe it has been discussed before, is he planning on doing a full xco season on top of that or will he take any time off?
    Super impressive riding either way.

mtbr member
    Jun 2018
    In response to a few people speculating from a few weeks back, Kerschbaumer re signed with Torpado Gabogas for 2 more years back in august right after his win in Andorra. Great move in my opinion, they brought him back from a tough spot, and it seems he went straight to the top They seem to work great together.
    Last edited by yashoe; 2 Weeks Ago at 01:00 AM. Reason: Forgot a sentence

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausable View Post
    Regarding the male ranks, I really hope that 2019 will see Kerschbaumer at the podium of the overall WC.

This guy is amazing - would you believe that a top pro rider can train at that level without power meter, without gps and ... without odometer?
    Italian only, but worth the google translation:

https://www.pianetamountainbike.it/r...top-rider-naif

That was a different approach, really interesting read, thank you!

Primative Screwhead
    Quote Originally Posted by tgoods View Post
    Yes, this is how the world works. Sponsors wonít fund a team if they canít get a guarantee their products will be represented. When you interview for a job do you tell the company that you may or may not show up for work?

Yes, thanks, we get all that. Corporate ethics and human ethics are usually incompatible. Moral relativism, drinks all round.

No one is arguing the logic of the situation - we are discussing the tragedy of it.

The obfuscation of Frischnecht was portraying himself as a knight in shining armor despite being the one who prevented Rissveds from "showing up to work" at the world championships even though she, her co-sponsors and the Swiss Cycling Federation wanted her to be there.

His line "It's a shame what happened to Jenny" is the type of statement I've heard before from cognitive sociopaths, and I've worked under a few. It's always useful to remind ourselves that these people are out there, possibly including Old Mate a few posts up.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    ^ Ease up on the assumptions. You really have no idea what you're talking about.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    Yes, thanks, we get all that. Corporate ethics and human ethics are usually incompatible. Moral relativism, drinks all round.

No one is arguing the logic of the situation - we are discussing the tragedy of it.

The obfuscation of Frischnecht was portraying himself as a knight in shining armor despite being the one who prevented Rissveds from "showing up to work" at the world championships even though she, her co-sponsors and the Swiss Cycling Federation wanted her to be there.
    (Emphasis mine)

I think what you're searching for is "crony capitalism". If so, then I agree, it often leads to moral hazards. In this case, that a governing body managed to get in bed with a brand causes obvious conflicts of interest when they don't also pay for the athlete to pursue their profession.

It would be as if you were a widget maker for company A, but to go to the international widget making convention, your country forced you to instead go and represent company B's widgets. Frischnecht was correct that the demands of riders from a country riding specific brands leads to a situation where companies (who pay for the racer to be a professional) have to pay for a rider to go represent a different brand.

To say that "she, her co-sponsors and the Swiss Cycling Federation wanted her to be there" is bologne, because Scott also wanted her to be there. The difference is that one group who wasn't putting on food on her table held her team hostage.

This all, of course, is under the assumption that what's been written about the debacle is at least somewhat accurate. (And also that I understand even vaguely Sweden's economic system)

Formerly of Kent

His line "It's a shame what happened to Jenny" is the type of statement I've heard before from cognitive sociopaths, and I've worked under a few. It's always useful to remind ourselves that these people are out there, possibly including Old Mate a few posts up.
    Iím guessing the Swiss federation did NOT have any vested interest in her toeing the line.

Death from Below.

ccm
    aka Taprider
    ^ yeah the Swiss Federation did not care at all
    the Swedish Federation on the other hand...

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Jaroslav Kulhavy creates his own team, with Specialized bikes.
    He will ride the Cape Epic with Howard Grotts, and with Christoph Sauser and Simon Andreassen as backup team.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by bananajoe View Post
    He will ride the Cape Epic with Howard Grotts, and with Christoph Sauser and Simon Andreassen as backup team.
    Not surprised by this at all.

It seemed his heart wasn't in XCO at all the last year or two. I wouldn't be surprised to see him at races like Leadville and other endurance events.
    Death from Below.

Always pushing harder!!!
    Makes a lot of sense...

It seems Specialized dumped a lot of $$$ off their books. Focus looks like will be on the kids (lower salaries???) or change of game plan...

Don't get me wrong, but Jaro has never repeated the success he had in 2011 when he was probably one of the only few riders on a 29'er, and probably the only one on a full suspension 29'er. He may have an incomparable wattage at his disposal, but XCO has evolved into more technical and explosive riding compared to 7 years ago. It has to be more than power-to-weight ratio, and I haven't seen him evolve his style so much.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    Sauser again? he retired 2 years ago...
    Last edited by pastronef; 1 Week Ago at 11:40 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2018
    https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_...ape-epic-r7666

Hatherly and Sam Gaze team up for Cape Epic

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by pastronef View Post
    Sauser could probably alternately retire and unretire as often as he wants for the next decade and come back reasonably competitive every time in endurance format events.

What does "retired" mean anyhow? That he is never allowed to participate in another race for the rest of his life? Cape Epic is mostly amateur riders with a smattering of marquee riders off the front. Put Sauser in whichever of those groups best suits you.
    Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Has there been some kind of announcement from Jaroslav Kulhavy? I saw the Cape Epic promoterís Instagram post, but I read it as Kulhavy and Grotts forming a special team for the race, specifically.

Sneaker man
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    Has there been some kind of announcement from Jaroslav Kulhavy? I saw the Cape Epic promoterís Instagram post, but I read it as Kulhavy and Grotts forming a special team for the race, specifically.
    ---->
    edit: oh or are you asking about the discussion already? not about the IG post? (my heads broken, roll on knock off time, shut up customers)
    All the gear and no idea.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_...ic-title-r7665

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    As far as I can tell this is just business as usual, right? The Specialized team has long ridden under the Investec/Songo banner for Cape Epic. Even Burry and Susi were Songo.

Now, Jaro might well be leaving the Specialized factory team. But the Cape Epic team branding has nothing to do with that.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    As far as I can tell this is just business as usual, right? The Specialized team has long ridden under the Investec/Songo banner for Cape Epic. Even Burry and Susi were Songo.

Now, Jaro might well be leaving the Specialized factory team. But the Cape Epic team branding has nothing to do with that.
    Thatís how I interpreted it as well.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by pastronef View Post
    That's why Sauser is riding in the backup team, as an active rider he would ride with Jaro
    He took part in the Grand Raid last summer, one of the most famous marathon in Switzerland (125 km, 5000 m elevation). He still finished fourth in 6h12'', 12'' minutes behind the winner and ahead of Karl Platt.
    After a 20 years career, I find it unbelievable that Susi is still that motivated to ride for fun at such a high level .

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Sergio Mantecon and Ariane Luthi Are joining Kross
    https://www.kross.pl/en/news-list/se...ss-racing-team

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Sauser could probably alternately retire and unretire as often as he wants for the next decade and come back reasonably competitive every time in endurance format events.
    He's definitely got some genetic gifting. Add to that a long career of training and.....

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by winters.benjamin View Post
    He's definitely got some genetic gifting. Add to that a long career of training and.....
    Every time I run in to Tinker I think the same thing. 3% BF and acts like he is 30 years old.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by winters.benjamin View Post
    I think Sauser benefits from all the riding he is doing. Think he still do a fair bit of hard training also.

But Sauser probably still do 5-600h riding.

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post

But Sauser probably still do 5-600h riding.
    I would hope so, I'm doing double that and I still have a day job

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Langvad and Anna Van der Breggen are teaming up for the Cape Epic. That should be a powerhouse of a team. I'd like to see what Van der Breggen could do in an XCO race with more technical skills.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/01/new...tb-race_482853

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by cal_len1 View Post
    Langvad and Anna Van der Breggen are teaming up for the Cape Epic. That should be a powerhouse of a team. I'd like to see what Van der Breggen could do in an XCO race with more technical skills.

https://www.velonews.com/2019/01/new...tb-race_482853
    That's pretty much the unbeatable team barring any unexpected issues.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLover View Post
    That's pretty much the unbeatable team barring any unexpected issues.
    I expect them to win by hours. AV has a partner who is, if in good form, at least as strong as her.

That would be like partnering Kulhavy with...Kulhavy.

Death from Below.

jms
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post

Or Sagan
    My Favorite Peeps:

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I expect them to win by hours. AV has a partner who is, if in good form, at least as strong as her.

But the chances of BOTH Kulhavy's being on song for the SAME race?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123