2019 Masters Marathon Nationals Location- Mtbr.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2004

2019 Masters Marathon Nationals Location

Anybody know the location of the 2019 marathon national masters championships?

I Googled around without any luck that far in advance.

I'm pretty sure I got the terminology wrong, so to clarify: old dudes, nationals, mtb, long distance.

Thanks!
    Whining is not a strategy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    They haven't announced it. It's in Arkansas for 2017 and 2018. I wouldn't expect a 2019/2020 site announce for quite awhile

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Thanks, sooshee.

I'm crossing my fingers for somewhere in the PNW.

Formerly of Kent
    Seems like Bend is due for another national championship.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I'd be down for a PNW location! Seems like they've been down south the past few rounds, time for it come west again (And I have my selfish reasons as I'd like to race a marathon nationals closer to home)

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    I'd be down for a PNW location! Seems like they've been down south the past few rounds, time for it come west again (And I have my selfish reasons as I'd like to race a marathon nationals closer to home)
    Yeah it's Arkansas this year and next. Past 2 years it was Georgia. 2 years before that it was Sun Valley. Then prior to Sun Valley, it was in Bend.

Pretty sure that's been the sequence of recent Marathon Nats.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    While on the topic...anyone here racing it this year in Arkansas? I'm going to race SS Open. First time visitor to Arkansas for me.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Well, Bend would beat Arkansas or Georgia, since it's an easy drive for me, but I'd sure prefer a course with slightly more technical trails than the typical Bend offerings.

No flaming, please. I love riding in Bend. I just race better on rougher courses.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces View Post
    While on the topic...anyone here racing it this year in Arkansas? I'm going to race SS Open. First time visitor to Arkansas for me.
    Unfortunately I'm not racing but I've ridden Iron Mountain on a single-speed. I rode there last year the day after I did the Ouachita Challenge. Iron Mountain is not technical but I think it is one of my favorite places to ride - fantastic flowy singletrack. I rode my friends Niner One 9 RDO and it was geared 32x18 which seemed a bit difficult but my legs were pretty cooked from the previous day 60+ mile ride. Anyway enjoy your visit to AR - Iron Mountain is a great place to ride and I expect the race will be tons of fun.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkC View Post
    Unfortunately I'm not racing but I've ridden Iron Mountain on a single-speed. I rode there last year the day after I did the Ouachita Challenge. Iron Mountain is not technical but I think it is one of my favorite places to ride - fantastic flowy singletrack. I rode my friends Niner One 9 RDO and it was geared 32x18 which seemed a bit difficult but my legs were pretty cooked from the previous day 60+ mile ride. Anyway enjoy your visit to AR - Iron Mountain is a great place to ride and I expect the race will be tons of fun.
    Thanks for the tips amigo. I was actually originally signed up geared age group, but then indeed, it just seemed like a great SS kind of place. And I'm an old SS'er at heart anyway, so I guess I really don't need much of an excuse to race my single.

I'm bringing an array of cogs with me and will have a chance to pre-ride a bit for a few days prior.

I don't have to catch my flight back home until 4 PM on Monday the day after so might ride a little bit more there early in the morning, or may check out the Hot Springs area too. I noticed one of the IMBA epic rides is there...Womble trail I think? It sounds great, but I might be pressed for time to get bike packed all back up and that stuff. We'll see.
    Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I don't have to catch my flight back home until 4 PM on Monday the day after so might ride a little bit more there early in the morning, or may check out the Hot Springs area too. I noticed one of the IMBA epic rides is there...Womble trail I think
    Womble, Lake Ouachita Vista Trail (Lovit), and the Ouachita trail are around 1 hr-1.5 hrs from Iron Mountain and are west of Hot Springs (all 3 are IMBA epics). If you are crunched on time you may want to consider Cedar Glades in Hot Springs. Fun 10 mile loop and less driving. Definitely not in the same league as the other trails but only 1 hour from the airport in Little Rock. I only mention this because I get a little stressed out on traveling days. Have fun!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips amigo. I was actually originally signed up geared age group, but then indeed, it just seemed like a great SS kind of place. And I'm an old SS'er at heart anyway, so I guess I really don't need much of an excuse to race my single.

I'm bringing an array of cogs with me and will have a chance to pre-ride a bit for a few days prior.
    I live about an hour from the trail and was planning on racing SS, but don't think I'll be able to make it. Work and health issues have kept me from doing much training this year.

32x19 or 32x18 for a 29er works for most people out there. I'm not sure how strong a rider you are, but I'm not aware of anyone locally racing anything tougher than 32x18, and you'll definitely be spinning out with 32x20.

For tires, I really like Ikons but have also been running a forekaster up front lately. Traction usually isn't an issue except early in the morning when rocks are still wet. It is rocky in places, and I would suggest using tires with some sort of sidewall protection.

2019 Masters Marathon Nationals Location-19.jpg

2019 Masters Marathon Nationals Location-191.jpg

mtbr member
    The trail is a lot of fun, nothing unexpected technically, yet it throws a few rocks at you that can be blazed over at high speed downhill, just keep an eye on your landing spot. Its climbs have a steeper pitch which is great for a out-of-the saddle climbers like SS racers, but could be something to consider with your gearing. Here I am a few years back at an Xterra (1st place bike, last place swim, midpack run) that's where I learned to stick to the mountain bike

Major win for Arkansas in getting Nats here. Fred Phillips is a super good guy and I give him all the credit for what he's contributed to the state's gains in mountain biking.

2019 Masters Marathon Nationals Location-12074983_127323660956569_3836482391095160275_n.jpg

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by KirkC View Post
    Fun 10 mile loop and less driving. Definitely not in the same league as the other trails but only 1 hour from the airport in Little Rock. I only mention this because I get a little stressed out on traveling days. Have fun!
    Thanks man. Yes I've researched all the IMBA Epic rides you mention and unfortunately just don't think I'll have enough time to hit those, but the Cedar Glades could be something....especially because I am shipping my bike via BikeFlights back home out of a FedEx location in Hot Springs, so that would be convenient. In all likelihood though, I just might end up rolling out of my hotel in Caddo Valley super early and maybe just hitting Iron Mtn again for a short loop in the opposite direction of the race direction just because it is so close and I can probably do that before check-out time at the hotel and still get back in time to shower and such

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by coke View Post

32x19 or 32x18 for a 29er works for most people out there. I'm not sure how strong a rider you are, but I'm not aware of anyone locally racing anything tougher than 32x18, and you'll definitely be spinning out with 32x20.

For tires, I really like Ikons but have also been running a forekaster up front lately. Traction usually isn't an issue except early in the morning when rocks are still wet. It is rocky in places, and I would suggest using tires with some sort of sidewall protection.
    Thanks for that advice! From the research I've done (Strava) I figured gearing to be in the range that you're mentioning. I shipped my bike set up with a 36x20 and I several cogs to either side of that ratio to dial it in further as needed once I get there. (I land on Thursday eve and have Friday and Sat to pre-ride and obsess over gear choice a bit )

I am no SS guru by any means but I have become known in my area for pushing a heavier gear at times (https://www.cxmagazine.com/ron-shevo...lost-and-found) . I'll need to hold myself back a bit I think to ensure that my legs (and lower back lol) stay fresh untl the end

Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    The trail is a lot of fun, nothing unexpected technically, yet it throws a few rocks at you that can be blazed over at high speed downhill, just keep an eye on your landing spot. Its climbs have a steeper pitch which is great for a out-of-the saddle climbers like SS racers, but could be something to consider with your gearing.
    Cool..thank you. Yeah I was originally signed up for my geared age-class, but then switched to SS more recently because it just seemed like a good SS-kinda place from what I could tell.

Seems like the area just got a bunch of rain?? Looks like a bit more on Wednesday on the forecast I am looking at but then dry from then on out to race day.

I'll have a Bontrager XR2 Team Issue on the front, with an XR1 Team Issue on the rear. Took an educated guess that should be fine.

MTBR needs an Arkansas forum...it was the first place I looked to for beta, but saw it doesn't exist.

mtbr member
    Seems like the area just got a bunch of rain?? Looks like a bit more on Wednesday on the forecast I am looking at but then dry from then on out to race day.

I'll have a Bontrager XR2 Team Issue on the front, with an XR1 Team Issue on the rear. Took an educated guess that should be fine.

MTBR needs an Arkansas forum...it was the first place I looked to for beta, but saw it doesn't exist.
    The "Natural State" is largely undeveloped, for better or worse. I've been spending some time in Texas recently, and Dallas/Fort Worth by itself has double the population of the entire state of Arkansas.

This is a good place to check for trail conditions:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/IronMTNTrails/

Here's the collection of trail reviews:
    https://www.singletracks.com/bike-tr...kadelphia.html

mtbr member
    We did get some rain, but the trail drains fast and doesn't really get muddy. For the most part, the trail was designed so that water runs across it in places, but not down it. Some friends rode it this weekend.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Bump.

Anybody got any info on the 2019s yet?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    Bump.

Anybody got any info on the 2019s yet?
    Haven't seen anything Hoping for marathon and/or XC to be fairly close to me so I can attend them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Unless something drastically changes, per our reliable USAC regional rep: Look for it to be in Texas the next 2 years.

Arkansas was amazing though. Hope we can live up and over the standard they set.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Looks like old guys, long distance, MTB....not Nationals, but UCI WORLDS, will be in Mont St Anne in 2019?
    http://www.uci.ch/docs/calendar/MTB/...Calendrier.pdf

I just moved from NorCal to Denmark where I'll be living for the next 1 - 2 years and just thought, "hmmm while I'm here I wonder if I should see where Marathong Masters Worlds will be while I'm here. And of course, as soon as I move across the pond, it moves the other direction back to North America. lol. sheesh.

mtbr member
    Looks like old guys, long distance, MTB....not Nationals, but UCI WORLDS, will be in Mont St Anne in 2019? http://www.uci.ch/mm/Document/News/N...te_English.pdf

I just moved from NorCal to Denmark where I'll be living for the next 1 - 2 years and just thought, "hmmm while I'm here I wonder if I should see where Marathong Masters Worlds will be while I'm here. And of course, as soon as I move across the pond, it moves the other direction back to North America. lol. sheesh.
    LOL, that's enough to make you paranoid!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrobiker View Post
    Unless something drastically changes, per our reliable USAC regional rep: Look for it to be in Texas the next 2 years.

Arkansas was amazing though. Hope we can live up and over the standard they set.
    Damn, was holding out hope for Bend, Oregon (close to home).

And Texas isn't very geographically different than Arkansas. I thought they kinda, sorta tried to jump back and forth across the country every two years?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Looks like old guys, long distance, MTB....not Nationals, but UCI WORLDS, will be in Mont St Anne in 2019?
    http://www.uci.ch/docs/calendar/MTB/...Calendrier.pdf

It's XCO masters worlds, not marathon. It'll take place about a week before the elite XCO worlds.

I'm excited for this, plan on flying out for it. Which is why I was hoping for nationals to be somewhere close out west to race as prep... Texas is definitely out (was hoping for a high altitude location because high altitude lungs are the only thing I have going for me at the moment). Now to just see where they put XC nationals...

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Depends where they end up having it in Texas. You're right the geographical aspect isn't too much different...in Northern TX. You start getting farther down South and things get much rougher.

I know I'm hoping for a place in the Northern part rather than the South. But honestly, I wouldn't mind trying for a trip to Bend. At least there's not elevation penalty!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    South TX? Bring on the heat, sand, and complete lack of elevation says this guy from FL lol
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I thought they kinda, sorta tried to jump back and forth across the country every two years?
    They base the decision on bids to host. It is often a huge headache/money loss for the promoter so they don't often get many bids.

I'm not sure a place like Bend will play ball that much anymore. There are already events of all kinds every weekend and every hotel room in town is booked all summer, so the city wouldn't gain much (CX or other non-peak times is another story).

It worked like a charm for Bend as it developed into a destination, so maybe more places with vision will follow suit and find ways to defray costs for the promoters. But the list of promoters who lost their butt hosting Nats is long...

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Bend was suppose to host XC national in 2015-2016, and then it was switched to Mammoth. So yeah, perhaps not in their cards.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Any new updates on a 2019 location?

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by durkind View Post
    Any new updates on a 2019 location?
    It looks like the USAC Nationals schedule has been posted, but they are missing Marathon Nationals for some reason:

https://www.velonews.com/2018/10/new...hington_480071

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    They are still waiting to confirm details for marathon nats.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    centrally located not at elevation, and Not in Texas after all. We didn't bid for it.

Should find out in early November. I think everyone will be pleased.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Hopefully the marathon nationals will be a more level playing field for those of us in the midwest and those of us not acclimated to 9000ft elevation.

mtbr member
    Dec 2017
    Winter Park,CO announced fo XC (9052')
    Any rumors for Marathon yet?

mtbr member
    Aug 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by broeli View Post
    Hopefully the marathon nationals will be a more level playing field for those of us in the midwest and those of us not acclimated to 9000ft elevation.
    Yeah I hate riding a mountain bike in the mountains!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbrockenchain View Post
    Yeah I hate riding a mountain bike in the mountains!!
    Ha, thank you for saying what I was thinking...

I ride/race at 8000-9000 feet constantly so I'm thrilled with Winter Park. I struggle hardcore with any sort of humidity and thick air, so it's nice to have nationals back in a dry place. But I know people from Florida who can come and kill courses at elevation, so yeah, it's possible for lowlanders to still have successful races. Fact of the matter is, Nationals needs to move around the country and be in a variety of places. Sorry, sometimes that means above 1000 feet in elevation...

mtbr member
    For marathons, cool, throw us to Mother Nature.

But for XC...let's see where is that video of the best pros in America walking up to 12,500'... ah yes:

https://youtu.be/G-2EFyp5AKk?t=570

Formerly of Kent

Given that each lap of the XC race will have, at most, 600-700ft of climbing, the odds of getting above tree line are pretty slim. Meaning, traction shouldnít be a big problem, and while it will be a high altitude race, it wonít be above 10,000ft. Unless they decide to have the course nowhere near town, that is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by sooshee View Post
    Ha, thank you for saying what I was thinking...

I ride/race at 8000-9000 feet constantly so I'm thrilled with Winter Park. I struggle hardcore with any sort of humidity and thick air, so it's nice to have nationals back in a dry place. But I know people from Florida who can come and kill courses at elevation, so yeah, it's possible for lowlanders to still have successful races. Fact of the matter is, Nationals needs to move around the country and be in a variety of places. Sorry, sometimes that means above 1000 feet in elevation...
    "Riding" in the mountains and racing with everything you have for a national championship are waaaaay different. I've raced in Colorado and it is a disadvantage no matter how you try to spin it. Bring someone to sea level from a high altitude place and they aren't at a disadvantage as someone going to 10k feet for one race. I still did pretty good racing in Bailey last year but my power suffered and so did my breathing. When i went out to just ride in Crested Butte the altitude wasn't an issue..i was just riding having fun. This is top level racing where every percentage of power and v02 max matter

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    "Riding" in the mountains and racing with everything you have for a national championship are waaaaay different. I've raced in Colorado and it is a disadvantage no matter how you try to spin it. Bring someone to sea level from a high altitude place and they aren't at a disadvantage as someone going to 10k feet for one race. I still did pretty good racing in Bailey last year but my power suffered and so did my breathing. When i went out to just ride in Crested Butte the altitude wasn't an issue..i was just riding having fun. This is top level racing where every percentage of power and v02 max matter
    Except it applies the same going "downhill" to sea level, I (or anyone coming from altitude) can't simply race by feel or we'll be working well beyond what we're capable of. You're not at a "disadvantage", you just can't race like a spaz which you may be able to do wherever you normally race. Ride in control and you'll be just fine. It's not like everyone from Colorado, Wyoming, Utah (or some other high altitude area) is dominating on the national/world scene.

Sure, we'll have more power (at sea level) than we're accustomed to (at altitude) but that shit doesn't just magically appear. I/we work as hard as everyone else to get wherever we're at.

mtbr member
    For marathons, cool, throw us to Mother Nature.

But for XC...let's see where is that video of the best pros in America walking up to 12,500'... ah yes:

https://youtu.be/G-2EFyp5AKk?t=570
    I've raced hundreds of times in Winter Park.
    Winter Park national's will have nothing like the Wheeler stage for XC races.
    No other race in Colorado has the altitude you see in this video, that's why the Brek Epic is such a awesome race, it offers up courses no other race on earth has.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I hate to interrupt the altitude performance debate

But still nothing on Masters Marathon Nats location?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I hate to interrupt the altitude performance debate

But still nothing on Masters Marathon Nats location?
    Give it til November. Course is being finalized later this month. But I can promise it'll be "central" and not at elevation.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Give it til November. Course is being finalized later this month. But I can promise it'll be "central" and not at elevation.
    Midwest?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hammonjj View Post
    Midwest?
    Strange that there is still no announcement on the location at least.
    Im wondering if planned location fell through

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    centrally located not at elevation, and Not in Texas after all. We didn't bid for it.

Should find out in early November. I think everyone will be pleased.
    Alright mate, it's November; time to spill the beans!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    hahaha. Let's just say I saw our regional reps ride in this area from over the weekend at a big expo.

What he did had some good up and down! It's still early in "early" novemeber!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    It's still early in "early" November!!
    And this IS the mtb world, where "November" typically means December, if we're lucky!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    hahaha. Let's just say I saw our regional reps ride in this area from over the weekend at a big expo.

What he did had some good up and down! It's still early in "early" novemeber!!
    Only big expo recently that i can think of that would be midwest would be Philly bike expo. There are plenty of great trails in the Pa or Va area that would be perfect for Marathon Nationals

mtbr member
    "Philly" is in the midwest? I thought we were talking TX? Outerbike just happened in Walmart land but I can't see nationals going back to Arkansas.

It may be "early" in November but this lack of information shows the lack or planning and regard for this event. WTF USAC get off your collective a$$es and tell us where the Nationals will be held and when. It's hard to plan goals, and schedule time off in advance when information is not put out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    "Philly" is in the midwest? I thought we were talking TX? Outerbike just happened in Walmart land but I can't see nationals going back to Arkansas.

It may be "early" in November but this lack of information shows the lack or planning and regard for this event. WTF USAC get off your collective a$$es and tell us where the Nationals will be held and when. It's hard to plan goals, and schedule time off in advance when information is not put out.
    I agree! I would like to start getting plans together also.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008

No i wouldn't say philly is midwest. I was thinking more central or west part of Pa maybe. States I'd actually consider midwest would be like Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri. Texas i wouldn't say is midwest.
    If the state planned by usac fell through then maybe it actually will go back to Arkansas. It would be an easy fallback

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Emailed Guillermo at USAC today and he said the following "Weíre getting close. Our team did a site visit this past week, we hoping to announce it next week"

Guillermo is the contact USA Cycling has at the bottom of the 2019 natz schedule.

Personally I would not be surprised if they tagged along to one of the NUE race venues around the late spring timeframe, but that's 100% a guess.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by youwantsomepepper View Post
    Emailed Guillermo at USAC today and he said the following "Weíre getting close. Our team did a site visit this past week, we hoping to announce it next week"

Guillermo is the contact USA Cycling has at the bottom of the 2019 natz schedule.

Personally I would not be surprised if they tagged along to one of the NUE race venues around the late spring timeframe, but that's 100% a guess.
    I don't think so. Word was that the Bailey Hundo was dropped from NUE schedule because it was associated with and was a usac sanctioned race and wouldn't change it. So it likely won't be a tag along with NUE

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Im good with it being Arkansas again.

mtbr member
    I started racing in Arkansas in the 80ís for such a small state they have some of the best trails Iíve ever raced. Quachita challenge is a must do event for anyone that calls themselves a mtbike racer

mtbr member
    Agreed on Arkansas, I have raced a lot there including marathon Nats and Ouachita Challenge. I love the positive exposure they're getting as an adventure tourism destination.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    From what I've heard, this event isn't very lucrative, so USAC gets few, if any bids, on marathon nats.

mtbr member
    Oct 2018
    If i recall correctly too, it isnít USAC that does it. Last year at least it was contracted out to a local organization and sanctioned by USAC. I donít know if this is relevant though. I have my fingers crossed still for Texas.

mtbr member
    Maybe if we all ask them nicely on Facebook someone will respond:

https://www.facebook.com/usacycling/...t=feed_comment

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Middle of Nov and still no word. Pretty sad that it's the only one they can't get set yet. If they had solidified a location they'd at least release the location.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Middle of Nov and still no word. Pretty sad that it's the only one they can't get set yet. If they had solidified a location they'd at least release the location.
    Go USAC!

Living up to their rep, and then some!

mtbr member
    Not even a peep on their Facebook page, the least USAC could do is let us know if something is in the works and news will be out soon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Are they holding nationals this year? Seems like if they had a location and dates locked, they would have announced it by now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by hammonjj View Post
    Are they holding nationals this year? Seems like if they had a location and dates locked, they would have announced it by now.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by youwantsomepepper View Post

Guillermo is the contact USA Cycling has at the bottom of the 2019 natz schedule...
    At least you got a bit more substantive reply than my "I'll check with them on Monday <10/29> and get back to you." reply...

As of this writing on 11/20, I've not received any additional feedback from Guillermo - even though I've resent my email seeking info. two additional times.

Really unbelievable "service".

I do continue to get an email in-box flooded with invitations to take advantage of all my USA Cycling 'exclusive benefits' though, like discounted insurance...

mtbr member
    From USAC :

We have not announced due to the multitude of venues who have expressed interest in hosting - which is a good thing (and surprised us) but made fitting the required site visits in during the season very difficult. Our staff member in charge of MTB events just returned from a productive visit on Friday, and will be conducting the final inspection in another location the first week of December. We anticipate announcing immediately after that.

We really wanted to announce with the other Nationals, however we felt that we should perform due diligence to ensure we ended up with the best location. We are also looking at getting ahead of the curve and having our venues planned out from these visits for the next 2-3 years. So in short, we are actually in the opposite end of cancelling and will be putting a greater emphasis on Marathon for the next couple of years.

Chuck

mtbr member
    From USAC :

We have not announced due to the multitude of venues who have expressed interest in hosting - which is a good thing (and surprised us) but made fitting the required site visits in during the season very difficult. Our staff member in charge of MTB events just returned from a productive visit on Friday, and will be conducting the final inspection in another location the first week of December. We anticipate announcing immediately after that.

We really wanted to announce with the other Nationals, however we felt that we should perform due diligence to ensure we ended up with the best location. We are also looking at getting ahead of the curve and having our venues planned out from these visits for the next 2-3 years. So in short, we are actually in the opposite end of cancelling and will be putting a greater emphasis on Marathon for the next couple of years.

Chuck
    Where is the reply from, @sbsbiker? Was it posted on a forum or social media, or was it a reply to an enquiry?

I can respect the plight as described - it would be nice to share at least an outlined sketch to members, rather than go dark or not follow-up as promised.

Thanks for posting this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    I don't understand the secrecy.... What would really be the impact of USAC sharing the venues in the running and projected dates?..... At this point I'm hoping it's not held in early May 2019. Maybe they will hold in later in the year since it's now essentially December 2018

mtbr member
    I emailed Chuck Hodge at USAC to ask wtf? Told him the internet buzz was that the event wasn't happening, and what's up. Got this response.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    from what I was previously told, Bentonville for the next 2 years, then Knoxville/Nashville the following two years.

Maybe they decided to do site visits for the next 4 year span(if not longer) all together...Who knows at this point, but I'm totally agreeing with everyone else in the fact it should have at least been hinted at "between these sites currently"

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    from what I was previously told, Bentonville for the next 2 years, then Knoxville/Nashville the following two years.

Maybe they decided to do site visits for the next 4 year span(if not longer) all together...Who knows at this point, but I'm totally agreeing with everyone else in the fact it should have at least been hinted at "between these sites currently"
    Nashville or Knoxville seem like odd places in Tn that would be interested. Im pretty sure both those locations are limited in what they have compared to Chattanooga area. Chattanooga would make the most sense if it was anywhere in Tn. There are a lot of trail systems all around that general part of Tn. that hold several 50+ mile mtb races every year

mtbr member

Maybe, Or this recent email is BS and they just don't have their $hit together, and are in delay/deflect mode

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Nashville or Knoxville seem like odd places in Tn that would be interested. Im pretty sure both those locations are limited in what they have compared to Chattanooga area. Chattanooga would make the most sense if it was anywhere in Tn. There are a lot of trail systems all around that general part of Tn. that hold several 50+ mile mtb races every year
    I would be satisfied if they just put an update on twitter every couple of weeks that said "working on it; will check in in two more weeks". Anything that tells us they are actually working on it would be appreciated. I haven't even gotten emails back from Guillermo and I've emailed him two or three times (always very polite).

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Not to be pissy or anything, but come one USAC.

Do you not realize that most racers that fit into the Masters category also have other pulls on their lives that require some advance planning/scheduling?!

mtbr member
    Unless they announce it later AK is not listing the USAC Marathon MTB Nationals on the website like they did last year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Everyone at USAC acts like they know nothing. They told me it is being handled by Tara McCarthy and that they think she's planning on announcing later this week

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I got an actual answer from someone other than USAC. I contacted DLT series director. He said that Iron Mountain 50 in Arkansas is the backup location to host again if the others that usac is looking at don't make the cut. He said he hasn't been told yet though one way or other.
    If they really are looking in Tennessee in the southern portion around Chattanooga there's no way they couldn't make the cut. It would likely have to be put on entirely by usac though or later in the year.. like in conjunction with 5 points 50? Just guesses of course still though

mtbr member
    As each day passes itís less likely I can race M Nats this year. I already signed up for TSE so thatís now my Spring/Summer A race.
    I had planned on Nats being the big one but I couldnít wait much longer.

And with XC Nationals being way UP at elevation I doubt I will even bother with that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Tick tock

Quote Originally Posted by jamas1395 View Post
    As each day passes itís less likely I can race M Nats this year. I already signed up for TSE so thatís now my Spring/Summer A race.
    I had planned on Nats being the big one but I couldnít wait much longer.

And with XC Nationals being way UP at elevation I doubt I will even bother with that.

Yupppp.... Thinking about the same thing with regards to TSE....

mtbr member
    Wild idea but I think itís gonna be in Texas.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Wild idea but I think itís gonna be in Texas.

That's what I heard months ago (I think it was mentioned in this thread?), announcement coming today according to Payson...
    -DC, just some XC Bum in Sfla...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkpowa View Post
    That's what I heard months ago (I think it was mentioned in this thread?), announcement coming today according to Payson...
    Looking like it will be Palo Duro Canyon, very cool. Not a ton of climbing, but it's like riding on the surface of mars. It's a great course. We're gonna have fun.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    What would the loop likely be? The 26 mile Baby Grand? Not as much climbing as i would like to have especially for a Nationals course but sounds like a fun place overall. Looks like 1600 ft. climbing for the 26 mile loop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

course deets

What would the loop likely be? The 26 mile Baby Grand? Not as much climbing as i would like to have especially for a Nationals course but sounds like a fun place overall. Looks like 1600 ft. climbing for the 26 mile loop.
    judging by the December 7th announcement for an event April 27th.... course details will be available April 27th upon arrival......

i'll probably look at the course they have been using for the marathon type races... likely won't be too different

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Yeah pretty crazy that it's even earlier in the year and a much later announcement on any info.
    Another thing that'll hurt it a little is that NUE Big Frog/ Cohutta is that exact date in Tennessee. Decisions

mtbr member
    Iíve never ridden in TX; I wouldnít mind doing this one depending on the travel required.

Iím going to see if any local races are happening that weekend and then decide from there.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Also just realized it is same weekend as Whiskey Offroad. Bad choice of date for sure. There will be a lot of good racers that'll stay closer to home and do Cohutta and Whiskey off road

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Palo Duro! Holy cow, my wife just gave me the great news.

This is a Fantastic course and racing here is one of my top three favorite races of the year.

I assume this date will change after the dust settles and people finish complaining about the epic rides conflict.

This course is so fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Let's hear more about the course. Some people say boring and flat while others say it's challenging and fun.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    That's disappointing for my 144 pound frame. I'm gonna get worked by the heavier guys

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Let's hear more about the course. Some people say boring and flat while others say it's challenging and fun.
    Boring and Flat? Never heard that one before.

Fast and awesome. Palo Duro is itís own microclimate. Donít worry when driving out there. One second you are in the middle of a cow pasture and the next you are driving down into a crack in the earth. The canyon looks like Sedona. Dirt and rock is red for most of the trail and reminds me of lots of the trails in Sedona. There areas that remind me a lot of Slim Shady and Templeton trails.

The course we ride is three unique laps. Technically lap 1 and 2 are the same. Except in 1 you add a 3 mile start loop. In total the current marathon course is 44 miles and 2800 feet of climbing which is concentrated in the last 10 mile lap.

Itís usually a mild uphill road start to the start loop which goes through twisty congested Singletracks through about 10 or so G-outs. There is a steep, punchy little climb as you get off the start loop.

Then it merges with the main loop which you do two laps off. The first part GSL is just awesome red dirt Singletracks with several A and B line options with rollable double drops. (Iím usually sending it off the wall or off the top ledge). GSL is really Sedona style riding without the elevation. There are no climbs longer than 20 seconds, but it undulates in a very fun way throughout the course.

The home stretch of this lap (and every lap of the course) heads home on a twisty, dusty fast Singletrack. This dirt is different and is super hard pack with some dusty or sandy turns here and there.
    There are two small climbs on this stretch. And when you start riding next to the creek, you are in the final sprint.

Lap 3 gets rowdy. Go backwards on the start loop and start climbing Comanche trail. Comanche is steep technical climbing. For 1-2 miles (up and down and up as you ride out of the Canyon. This is about the point where many riders are completely messed up physically and cramping. Then itís good old fashion Texas ridge riding more undulating rocky riding. Lots of 20 foot up and down at 15% percent climbing. Finally, you get to do one of the coolest descents Iíve ever seen in a race. Before repeating the final stretch one last time.

This video is not of the course, but it gives you an idea of the playfulness of the terrain.

https://youtu.be/_yXjiYeG4AQ

And here is a shameless picture of myself on GSL;

mtbr member
    Damn, I almost went to the marathon last month down there, now I wish I had. Looks like a good place to ride. Too bad about the schedule conflict but knowing USAC, they wonít budge on the date.

But a change to a week later would make it an easy drive from Prescott to Amarillo, with a quick stop at the big Texan for the 72oz steak!

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Texas? Logistical bummer for me, but sounds like a ripping course.

And April 27th?! I'm barely putting away the skis by then. Pretty much impossible to train up seriously by that time of year.

Have fun everybody!

mtbr member
    Palo Duro is a fun course, love racing there! It has Flat and fast, punchy climbs, fast drops, flow....

That will be right in the middle of Spring XC Season, DORBA from what I understand is moving its TMBRA race to a different weekend to allow people to make it to the race without conflict.
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Looks Like there was a huge outcry from the Pro level riders, Event has changed to MAY 11th, thus no more conflict with the Whisky Offroad Epic event
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Where did you get that info? I haven't seen anything posted by usac or anyone else saying it has changed

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nevermind. Just saw usac made a post saying there would be an announcement next week about a date change. Lol. Wanted to do it but now I'm probably out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

Pushing further into May is NOT wise in Texas. Luckily, the canyon can hold cool air in it if there is cool air.

2018:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast