2019 Masters Marathon Nationals Location - Page 2- Mtbr.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    mtbr member
    Date changed to May 11.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Seems like USAC really flubbed this one and is pretty out of touch-they delay announcing venue until December for an April event then have to change the date a day later-whoops!!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by durkind View Post
    Seems like USAC really flubbed this one and is pretty out of touch-they delay announcing venue until December for an April event then have to change the date a day later-whoops!!
    I live in Colorado Springs, where USAC is based.

The closest MTB race is about 50 miles from here. And isnít sanctioned by USAC. Actually, Iíve never done a USAC race here on the Front Range.

Just think about that. The organization responsible for developing world class talent in America isnít involved with the vast majority of bike races in its own state.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I live in Colorado Springs, where USAC is based.

The closest MTB race is about 50 miles from here. And isnít sanctioned by USAC. Actually, Iíve never done a USAC race here on the Front Range.

Just think about that. The organization responsible for developing world class talent in America isnít involved with the vast majority of bike races in its own state.

I agree, Usac cut it's own throat in CO, and instead if attempting to stop the bleeding, they ignored one of the top mtbike destinations and let racing here develop without them. Idiots.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    Pushing further into May is NOT wise in Texas. Luckily, the canyon can hold cool air in it if there is cool air.

2018:
    Is it dry or humid though? I do fine in the dry Colorado heat, but wilt when it comes to super humid climates.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Date changed to May 11.

Where did you see that? The National Championship calendar on USAC's website still says TBD.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hammonjj View Post
    Where did you see that? The National Championship calendar on USAC's website still says TBD.
    My source is the TMBRA (Texas Mountain Bike Racing Association) FB page.

mtbr member
    Yes, it has changed to MAY 11th
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    And yet USAC has still decided to keep it a secret.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by mich800 View Post
    And yet USAC has still decided to keep it a secret.
    I think they just don't give a rat's ass about mountain biking. As an Olympic discipline, you'd think they'd promote it and support it more.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    USAC definitely has a lack of leadership and organization.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Is it dry or humid though? I do fine in the dry Colorado heat, but wilt when it comes to super humid climates.
    Dry. It's NW Texas plains. It's literally an hour away from the border of NM. The climate change is much different from the southern humidity for sure.

The great thing about Amarillo compared to Arkadelphia- there's A LOT to do there besides just the race. I'm always surprised going up to that area myself with how lively the town is being so far away from what's known as "Texas".

mtbr member
    Mar 2015

2019 Masters Marathon Nationals Location

Even Canyon Texas has a couple of cool spots. Canyon is closer to palo during.

There is a craft Pizza and whiskey place there that is no joke. Plenty or Air BNB availability.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Does anyone have a link to where they are saying the new date will be May 11? Of course it's a week later now and still no update from USAC.
    May 11th would be on same weekend as collegiate road championships. Seems weird that they'd do 2 national events on same weekend

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    USAC is extremely disorganized when it comes to this event. It wouldn't surprise me if they made the assumption that not many collegiate road racers were also going to attend marathon nationals.

mtbr member
    CX nationals just ended, perhaps after the holidays they will get on this.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    It's listed as May 11th at Palo Duro on their website now:

https://legacy.usacycling.org/nation...pionships/2019

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006

From Velonews:

https://www.velonews.com/2018/12/mou...whiskey_482448

Kappius Components Ambassador - Ping me a note for a discount code

mtbr member
    Whoís in?

mtbr member
    Tough break to move it to Mother's Day weekend, obviously not a factor for everyone, but definitely makes it harder to get the "spouse points" needed to go...
    The Race Bike: 2014 Specialized Camber Evo XX1

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by BantamSLK View Post
    Tough break to move it to Mother's Day weekend, obviously not a factor for everyone, but definitely makes it harder to get the "spouse points" needed to go...
    Yeah, that pretty much eliminated my ability to go.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    This whole thing has been inexcusable from so many perspectives.

USAC should be more than a little bit embarrassed.
    Whining is not a strategy.

Formerly of Kent

Quote Originally Posted by kosmo View Post
    This whole thing has been inexcusable from so many perspectives.

USAC should be more than a little bit embarrassed.
    They have a weird problem with personnel. They seem to hire people that have little to no experience with organizing large events with multiple moving pieces. But, a great racing resume? Definitely.

A while back there was a job at USAC that popped up on my radar. I live in town, and I have a good amount of experience organizing complex (military training) events. Specifically, a two week long live fire exercise involving 700+ people, plus many smaller training events. And, while Iím no former junior national team member, I have an elite/pro license on the dirt. So, I applied.

I didnít get an interview, or even a rejection email. Instead, they hired a 22-23 year old with no job experience, straight out of a ďvarsityĒ cycling program. I wonít claim I deserve the job, or even an interview, but I have to wonder how someone at USAC was able to overlook my resume for that of the person they eventually hired.

Death from Below.

jms
    mtbr member
    They have a weird problem with personnel. They seem to hire people that have little to no experience with organizing large events with multiple moving pieces. But, a great racing resume? Definitely.

A while back there was a job at USAC that popped up on my radar. I live in town, and I have a good amount of experience organizing complex (military training) events. Specifically, a two week long live fire exercise involving 700+ people, plus many smaller training events. And, while Iím no former junior national team member, I have an elite/pro license on the dirt. So, I applied.

I didnít get an interview, or even a rejection email. Instead, they hired a 22-23 year old with no job experience, straight out of a ďvarsityĒ cycling program. I wonít claim I deserve the job, or even an interview, but I have to wonder how someone at USAC was able to overlook my resume for that of the person they eventually hired.

Ouch. That doesn't speak well for the National organization.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member

Nobody wants to hire someone better then themselves for a job under them.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

Well, that explains a lot.

Still doesn't reduce my level of annoyance with them, though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Well, that explains a lot.

Still doesn't reduce my level of annoyance with them, though.
    I have no idea what's really going on behind the scenes on this race....
    But...USAC only sanctions the race....they do not put it on.
    It's a local promoter that does all the work....USAC lends guidance ( which can also mean cause problems)...as well as sucking most of the money up.

I've been following this post because I missed the 2018 event with a broken hand. Looks like I may skip this one.

mtbr member
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by the mayor View Post
    I have no idea what's really going on behind the scenes on this race....
    But...USAC only sanctions the race....they do not put it on.
    It's a local promoter that does all the work....USAC lends guidance ( which can also mean cause problems)...as well as sucking most of the money up.

I've been following this post because I missed the 2018 event with a broken hand. Looks like I may skip this one.
    Transylvania Epic is back this year...... think I'm finally going to do that.

Did both years of the USAC Marathon in Augusta, skipped the AR years unfortunately, and was going to do it this year but the late announcement combined with the dates and location really just don't bode well.

Coming from the NE for such an early season race and essentially racing against local Texans and Okies or whatever they call themselves coming straight out of their race season.... doesn't set up well

I'll take my chances in the hills of PA.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by youwantsomepepper View Post
    Transylvania Epic is back this year...... think I'm finally going to do that.

Did both years of the USAC Marathon in Augusta, skipped the AR years unfortunately, and was going to do it this year but the late announcement combined with the dates and location really just don't bode well.

Coming from the NE for such an early season race and essentially racing against local Texans and Okies or whatever they call themselves coming straight out of their race season.... doesn't set up well

I'm from MA...I hear you on the early season issue. But I ride outside almost every day ....
    The Trans Epic is a great event.....but holy crap, that entry fee keeps going up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by youwantsomepepper View Post

Our last 2 State Championship Races are in May, 4-5th and 18-19th.

As for the venue, typically there is only 2 MTB races there each year the TMBRA Marathon race in the fall and the "24 Hours In the Canyon" which is a 24hr endurance race that is going on its 13th year.

I guess it all comes down to why you race and its a personal issue, most will never even have the talent to win a National Championship but they dont let that stop them from getting out there and trying, instead of making excuses they are training as hard as they can to optimize what they are capable of doing.
    Nuun Ambassador 2017/2019
    Honey Stinger Ambassador 2018/2019
    Facebook Blog "Run with me"
    Instagram @Run_withme1972

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleinTexas View Post
    Our last 2 State Championship Races are in May, 4-5th and 18-19th.

I guess it all comes down to why you race and its a personal issue, most will never even have the talent to win a National Championship but they dont let that stop them from getting out there and trying, instead of making excuses they are training as hard as they can to optimize what they are capable of doing.
    I agree with you....but, coming from the NorthEast...where our season has barely begun, to a area where the season is about to end, is brutal.
    Back in the 90s I went to Cactus Cup in AZ after a brutal winter...it was the first time riding outside in months. Add in it was 23F when I left and landed in 88 degrees. But I still had some good races ( but not fun).

But I digress.....I hope the Marathon promoters do a great job and have a successful event...and USAC doesn't suck too much life and money out of them.
    Is there even a registration page up yet?

mtbr member
    I agree with you....but, coming from the NorthEast...where our season has barely begun, to a area where the season is about to end, is brutal.
    Back in the 90s I went to Cactus Cup in AZ after a brutal winter...it was the first time riding outside in months. Add in it was 23F when I left and landed in 88 degrees. But I still had some good races ( but not fun).

But I digress.....I hope the Marathon promoters do a great job and have a successful event...and USAC doesn't suck too much life and money out of them.
    Is there even a registration page up yet?
    Timing of this event has always been too early for most of the country.
    Iím in Colorado, most of our trails arenít open till about this time and we are expected to race marathon distance?
    Last 4 years this event has been back east, and then Arkansas, now Texas, hard for someone in California to put this event on a calendar.
    I like Palo Duro as a venue, itís less than 6 hours from Denver so CO should represent even if itís at the start of the season. Front range rider can put up good miles to get ready, just us mountain folk will be challenged getting miles.
    Iíve already booked a campsite and from the website they might be rare.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by sbsbiker View Post
    Timing of this event has always been too early for most of
    Iíve already booked a campsite and from the website they might be rare.
    After wasting time at USAC's awful site and a quick Google....what is the website of the event?
    Either I'm too dumb to find it....or this is the most secret National ever....
    Last edited by the mayor; 01-05-2019 at 10:53 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    After wasting time at USAC's awful site and a quick Google....what is the website of the event?
    Either I'm too dumb to find it....or this is the most secret National ever....
    I think he was referring to the campsite website, not the USAC event site. As far as I can tell, there is no website for the race yet, nor have I seen anything regarding course (not that I can make it anyway since it is Mother's Day Weekend).

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I think he was referring to the campsite website, not the USAC event site. As far as I can tell, there is no website for the race yet, nor have I seen anything regarding course (not that I can make it anyway since it is Mother's Day Weekend).
    Thanks. This puts me in the category of " Dumb...but not THAT dumb"

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    We didn't really hear much when Nats was announced in Arkansas the first year until about a month or 2 out. Course info was minimal, as was a description of the terrain or area....so keep that in mind.

That being said, here's some helpful info from our local race organizers/insiders:

-Reg will probably open up in March.
    -Course *probably* wont be much different than what they've done in the past couple years holding a marathon out there each year. Only thing that has changed is direction(CW/CCW)

Here's some links to help y'all find more info at your leisure

https://www.facebook.com/Palo-Duro-C...295/?ref=br_rs

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...0220886696058/
    (the team that puts the regular marathon on and is doing so with the National Event)

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Alright, getting closer here and time to bump this one to the top. What is the tire combo of choice for this location? How much tire protection needed?
    HH Rx

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hammerheadharold View Post
    Alright, getting closer here and time to bump this one to the top. What is the tire combo of choice for this location? How much tire protection needed?
    I would run EXO or Snakeskin. something fast rolling with good side knobs would work fine. Most XC tires with protection will work well out there. I will probably be on a NoNo/ Aspen or Forekaster/ Aspen.

I really dont see anyone trailside changing flats out there. Rocks are avoidable and so is the cactus (dont run tubes). Its mostly buff Red rock and fast red dirt.

There is a about a 100 foot section of deep sandy dirt by the creek that would be entertaining in a cyclocross race. I think this is early enough in the race it will be entertaining.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FJSnoozer View Post
    I would run EXO or Snakeskin. something fast rolling with good side knobs would work fine. Most XC tires with protection will work well out there. I will probably be on a NoNo/ Aspen or Forekaster/ Aspen.

I really dont see anyone trailside changing flats out there. Rocks are avoidable and so is the cactus (dont run tubes). Its mostly buff Red rock and fast red dirt.

There is a about a 100 foot section of deep sandy dirt by the creek that would be entertaining in a cyclocross race. I think this is early enough in the race it will be entertaining.
    FJ- you think something like Tye's mom is tough enough? That's what I was planning on riding....

Agreed though. Run something protection for your own safety and piece of mind in the race. You'll enjoy it going down Comanche.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Afrobiker View Post
    FJ- you think something like Tye's mom is tough enough? That's what I was planning on riding....

Agreed though. Run something protection for your own safety and piece of mind in the race. You'll enjoy it going down Comanche.
    Always use protection while riding in Texas or Tye's mom.

mtbr member
    Mar 2015
    Marathon Nationals Prices go up tomorrow 4/11. Register now if you intend on coming down.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ok, bumping this back to the top. Who went and how'd it go? Anyone seen any pics posted from the folks I saw out taking them?
    HH Rx

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Ok, bumping this back to the top. Who went and how'd it go? Anyone seen any pics posted from the folks I saw out taking them?
    Haven't seen any pics online. I'm sure they will be coming.

I had a good time. Arrived Friday to pre-ride the wet, but tacky trails. I thought it was an incredible trail system, almost 100% single-track!
    Then, it started to rain and things got ugly.
    Fortunately, the sun was out early Saturday morning and the course recovered in time for a delayed start. (Canceling the race or moving it to another day were real possibilities Friday night.)

Almost too much time to mull around in the morning before the race... I wasn't quite sure what to do with myself for 6 hours before the noon-ish start.

My race went well. The course hammered me, as expected. I'm used to long climbs and long downhills. The fast-pace, non-stop turns and ups and downs felt like full-gas start to finish.

I raced for grins and giggles. I finished 12 out of 24 in my AG... better than I expected. I really went to help my wife who had a shot at a title. She was running 3rd and reeling-in 2nd when her rear tire flatted. She spent too much time screwing around with that... thought it was resolved, only to come back just before heading into the 'back-country' on lap 3 and pulled the plug.

How was your race?
    TTUB - Ventura County California

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Are results up, yet?

Too far for me.....was really hoping for Bend, Oregon.

Hope everybody had a blast!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Are results up, yet?
    USAC Marathon MTB National Championships

mtbr member
    I planned on going...back in January. After a lot of spring of snow and not much riding, I stayed home. I thought it was a good decision as I probably didnít have a chance against an ex-pro, Olympic team member, and winner of my 50+ AG, Travis Brown. I came up respecting the talent of guys like Travis and Don Myrah, they set the bar for my generation. I guess Travis needs to keep setting the bar as a ďretiredĒ ex-pro in the cat 1 age groups. Congratulations to all the winners.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    It was a fun trip and really cool riding some different terrain for me. The cold and rain where unexpected in Texas in May but ended up being less of a factor than feared.

The slow down at the gate I'm sure will be improved next year and overall I'd say pretty well run given the circumstances.

From a race standpoint I didn't have great legs and took a good fall in a mud pit which killed my mojo.

I'd be tempted to try again next year.
    HH Rx

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    The cold and rain where unexpected in Texas in May but ended up being less of a factor than feared.
    I'm guessing the course was pretty fast under the wet conditions. While there were some muddy spots, the rest was fast and tacky. That place looks like it probably gets very sandy under drier conditions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12