Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2015

2018 XC World Cup Thread

Absalon is leaving BMC to create his own team Absolut Absalon and is going to race at least another two years. BMC will provide Fourstroke frames for the team (here).

Julie Bresset is back (here).

Formerly of Kent
    Apparently they are also partnering with an e-bike brand. Weird.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    Absalon mentions about new Fourstroke in 2018, that he helped develop. Interview | Julien Absalon lance son propre team et se confie - Vojo Magazine
    "Oui, c’est notamment le cas de BMC, qui sera fournisseur cadre du team, avec le Fourstroke full suspendu uniquement. De ce côté, je ne voulais pas changer car nous avons fait pas mal de beaux développements ensemble ces dernières années et ils vont porter leurs fruits en 2018. Cela aurait été dommage de ne pas en profiter"

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    ....and we've got MVDP looking toward a WC title: Mathieu van der Poel blijft ook in 2018 mountainbiken! - Vojo Magazine

Rides all the bikes!
    Subscribed

mtbr member
    Totally freaking subscribed.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Cink back in business! Hopefully motivated and in even better shape.

mtbr member
    Cink is returning to MTB?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yes will partner up with Carlos Coloma in PMRAracingteam.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by winters.benjamin View Post
    ....and we've got MVDP looking toward a WC title: Mathieu van der Poel blijft ook in 2018 mountainbiken! - Vojo Magazine
    Mathieu van der Poel is fun to watch. I really expect him to continue to pressure Nino and others at the front. I'd like to see him race all season. As for USA hopefuls, I think Christopher Blevins has a great shot in UCI World Cup as he continues to grow. Hopefully Blevins has the drive and support to push himself beyond his current Pro XCT level and into a solid UCI Elite.

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Go Anton Cooper and Sam Gaze

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Gaze will be cool to see on the short track, some crazy power output.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by plupp View Post
    Gaze will be cool to see on the short track, some crazy power output.
    MvdP will be cool to see on the short track...his CX racing is excellent training for this. In the 2017 WC XCO season he was always a fast starter but would fade at the end. He's tearing it up in the CX scene right now. Evidently WC MTB XCO racing was also great training for CX racing.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I heard somewhere he was planning to win world cup mtb next year... or at least try. He was saying MTB through the olympics, then road.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stonerider View Post
    MvdP will be cool to see on the short track...his CX racing is excellent training for this. In the 2017 WC XCO season he was always a fast starter but would fade at the end. He's tearing it up in the CX scene right now. Evidently WC MTB XCO racing was also great training for CX racing.
    It will be interesting to see how his fitness holds up later in the season. Trying to be fast all year or in multiple racing disciplines can be difficult over time.

Next year will be interesting if he does fully commit to MTB racing. I'm sure he'd win at least one if he would fully commit. Maybe more.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Very interesting developments!

In the mean time Absalon, Pauline and Kate Courtney are off to Mexico to race around the Popo volcano!

2018 XC World Cup Thread-kate.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbikemad View Post
    It will be interesting to see how his fitness holds up later in the season. Trying to be fast all year or in multiple racing disciplines can be difficult over time.

Next year will be interesting if he does fully commit to MTB racing. I'm sure he'd win at least one if he would fully commit. Maybe more.
    He's only 22 years old so he probably recovers fast and the multiple disciplines give him different mental challenges. Being "fast all year" is mental as well as physical. And maybe he isn't at 100% peak fitness. But he may be able to race at 95% fitness year round, which is still faster than most with the exception of Nino. He'll need to be at 100% peak for a World Cup XC race if he is going to challenge Nino.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Jolanda Neff will be racing a CX World Cup in Belgium next Sunday.
    She rode a CX race in Switzerland a few weeks ago... and won it.
    Last edited by bananajoe; 10-22-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Always pushing harder!!!
    Dan and Bec Henderson are heading to Primaflor-Mondraker also...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Tagging this!

Formerly of Kent
    You guys been watching the Euro CX races?

MvdP is out of this world right now. I'd bet $5 he takes a WC race this year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    He’s such a phenom. A joy to watch. I really hope he’s doing it clean. I often wonder about his dad, the known doper. Is he a good example? As in “don’t do what I did son” or...

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'll put another $5 on the table.

I heard comments from his coach who claimed he's not improved more than a few percent over last year, but because Wout is struggling it looks more drastic.

And I'm with PlanB. I wish there was a way to definitively know whether someone was cheating or not. Just watched Icarus last week and it didn't do good for my skepticism.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    At that level, a few percent is drastic!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    He’s such a phenom. A joy to watch. I really hope he’s doing it clean. I often wonder about his dad, the known doper. Is he a good example? As in “don’t do what I did son” or...
    To my understanding, MvdP had knee surgeries in 2015 and 2016 with the last surgery at the end of the summer of 2016 which caused him to miss the start of that CX season. He has now had a full year where he's been injury free so it makes sense that he would improve. Also, he's only 22. Most male cyclists don't max out their physical strength until age 27 to 30. So the scary thing is, he should keep getting stronger if motivated and healthy for at least 5 more years.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Flückinger brothers teaming up under Näf, but still no bike sponsor for the old Radon team.

Great to see the brothers together anyway, they have an aggressive riding style that is fun to watch.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Some movements in the Ghost Factory Team: Sina Frei and Barbara Benko join the team, while Lisi Osl leaves it, and Alexandra Engen ends her career .

mtbr member
    May 2015
    MvdP announced that MTB is going to be his first priority until the 2020 Olympic games, taking part in all the world cups and the world championships. He will be riding on a Canyon bike this season (link in french).

mtbr member
    May 2015
    The perfect season of NS in video.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    Speaking of Alexandra Engen, we have several examples during the last seasons of girls who got broken after rising to the very top (Engen, Rissveds, Bresset, PFP).

Does our favorite sport has a problem in that regard? What do you think?

Formerly of Kent
    Add Lisi Osl and Tanja Zakelj to that list. Blow people out of the water for one season, rarely hear from them again.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bananajoe View Post
    MvdP announced that MTB is going to be his first priority until the 2020 Olympic games, taking part in all the world cups and the world championships. He will be riding on a Canyon bike this season (link in french).
    Awesome news. Hope he can handle all that racing.
    Last edited by kevbikemad; 01-02-2018 at 11:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Exciting news! He is absolutely crushing CX right now.

mtbr member
    Speaking of Alexandra Engen, we have several examples during the last seasons of girls who got broken after rising to the very top (Engen, Rissveds, Bresset, PFP).

Does our favorite sport has a problem in that regard? What do you think?
    A couple of them sure burnt themselves out by racing Road and CX as well. The women who really only race XCO are far more consistent season after season over the long term/career.

I am always suspicious of the 1 year wonders, both men and women.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    For Rissveds it was the things outside of racing and training. A lot of fight with the Swedish federation and some trouble in her personal life. Combine that with winning olympic gold and all the attention added.

Formerly of Kent
    For Rissveds it was the things outside of racing and training. A lot of fight with the Swedish federation and some trouble in her personal life. Combine that with winning olympic gold and all the attention added.
    I believe she had two close family members pass away.

Death from Below.

Rides all the bikes!
    PFP took the world title in CX and MTB in 2015 along with the national title in road, all in one year. Then she suffered an injury that slowed her return.

That much work is going to push the body to the limits. It's possible she pushed to hard. But even if that is all she ever accomplishes, that's still incredible.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    PFP took the world title in CX and MTB in 2015 along with the national title in road, all in one year. Then she suffered an injury that slowed her return.

That much work is going to push the body to the limits. It's possible she pushed to hard. But even if that is all she ever accomplishes, that's still incredible.
    She has been doing well in CX too, I expect her to be strong this year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by spsoon View Post
    She has been doing well in CX too, I expect her to be strong this year.
    I believe PFP has her "mojo" back. She seems to be enjoying racing some CX this year.

Marianne Vos on the other hand, hasn't seemed like her old self and has been fading at the end of her CX races this year.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Le Duke View Post
    I believe she had two close family members pass away.
    Yes that is correct, but the route to Rio with all the problem with the Swedish cycling federation and even after that combined with all the rest caused a lot of problems. Think the two family members was just to fast forward.

But again, think this is a problem for most of the young woman's, they are able to train hard during teens and in the beginning, then they have some trouble in the early twenties.

For me, the XCO for Womens are 10x times more fun to watch than Nino vs nobody/Absalon.

Rides all the bikes!
    For me, the XCO for Womens are 10x times more fun to watch than Nino vs nobody/Absalon.
    Personally, I like watching the women battle in DH too. Especially last year with Rachel hurt all season, it was anyone's game!

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

This year could be interesting with addition of Sina and Kate to the senior ranks. Those girls were seriously fast last year, at some world cups their lap times matched the elite women's leaders. I suspect they will be a major factor.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Sina Frei just announced that she will stay in the U23 for the 2018 season.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    On the tech side, Absalon riding SRAM drivetrain and an SR Suntour fork on his BMC. His Instagram “teasing” also seems to show a BMC Agonist. As opposed to Fourstroke. It’ll be interesting to see if he sticks with the (albeit slightly) longer travel bike, or if a new Fourstroke is on the way.

mtbr member
    On the tech side, Absalon riding SRAM drivetrain and an SR Suntour fork on his BMC. His Instagram “teasing” also seems to show a BMC Agonist. As opposed to Fourstroke. It’ll be interesting to see if he sticks with the (albeit slightly) longer travel bike, or if a new Fourstroke is on the way.
    He posted a photo of a Fourstroke today. I seem to recall reading that a new Fourstroke was coming from BMC though...

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    how did you figure from his teasing it was an Agonist? Looks like Four stroke to me.
    And he posted today a Four stroke, and in his teasing pics you can see Four stroke written on the top tube.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by peabody View Post
    how did you figure from his teasing it was an Agonist? Looks like Four stroke to me.
    And he posted today a Four stroke, and in his teasing pics you can see Four stroke written on the top tube.
    Yup, I'm wrong. The Instagram shot of the cassette area showed a seatstay with graphics that looked like the Agonist 01, to me. The red swoosh things. His big "reveal" is definitely a Fourstroke though.

mtbr member
    May 2015
    For 2018, Ralph Näf's team (Flückiger brothers, Kathrin Stirnemann and Alessandra Keller) is sponsored by Swiss brand Thömus (link in german)

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    FOCUS (Derby) discontinues XCO sponsoring.

Florian Vogel shocked: https://www.facebook.com/florian.vog...17848175009188 (in German)

At this time of the year really bad. The new homepage of FOCUS shows clearly where the new priorities lie.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by quax View Post

Florian Vogel shocked: https://www.facebook.com/florian.vog...17848175009188 (in German)

At this time of the year really bad. The new homepage of FOCUS shows clearly where the new priorities lie.
    Not sure how a company can do something like this to their athletes, apparently Vogel just received the bad news 2 days ago...

Hopefully he finds a sponsor or at least a way to compete this season.

On other news Pauline seems to have gotten back her mojo, I think this season she will be a contender.

Primative Screwhead
    Neff and PFP just took each other out in a colossal yard sale at the UCI world CX cup in Hoogerhede. They were in 4th and 5th, closing in fast and just about to make contact with the leaders.

Off Camber muddy downhill, Neff tried to go underneath PFP but their different line choices forced a collision, catapulting Pauline over the top of Jolanda.

PFP carried off on a stretcher, holding her arm gingerly but also reaching for her hip/knee, it seemed.

Really hoping it looked worse than it actually was...

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Feideaux View Post
    Neff and PFP just took each other out in a colossal yard sale at the UCI world CX cup in Hoogerhede. They were in 4th and 5th, closing in fast and just about to make contact with the leaders.

Off Camber muddy downhill, Neff tried to go underneath PFP but their different line choices forced a collision, catapulting Pauline over the top of Jolanda.

PFP carried off on a stretcher, holding her arm gingerly but also reaching for her hip/knee, it seemed.

Really hoping it looked worse than it actually was...
    Oh boy, that is terrible news, that is what you risk racing cx just before race season is about to begin.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    It's about 33min into the race. Looked like a nasty one!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by TDLover View Post
    Oh boy, that is terrible news, that is what you risk racing cx just before race season is about to begin.
    Well, in PFP's defense, "race season" is year round. And, I'm guessing that she is able to substantially boost her yearly income by racing the CX schedule. Doing the CX WCs and one of the bigger non-WC series, when you're almost guaranteed a top-10 result, could add a good chunk of change to her bank account. The DVV series, for example, pays out 10,000E, 7,000E and 5,000E, 2,500E and 1250E to the top 5 in the series.

In the WCs, PFP's result from the previous WC paid her 3,000 Euro. Eva Lechner made 15,000 for her overall 3rd place finish, plus all of the individual race finish prizes of 18,850 euro. That's 33,850 euro, or $42,000, for 9 races.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

All related postings from Florian Vogel have vanished from Facebook and Twitter. Derby's laywers?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    According to PFP's twitter account she is fine just with some bruising. She plans to race the world champs next week.

As for the crash, to me it looked like PFP losing her front wheel was the final cause. You can see it slide right into Neff causing her to crash and PFP to go right over the top.

I hope Neff is ok as well, she was flying too!

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Well, in PFP's defense, "race season" is year round. And, I'm guessing that she is able to substantially boost her yearly income by racing the CX schedule. Doing the CX WCs and one of the bigger non-WC series, when you're almost guaranteed a top-10 result, could add a good chunk of change to her bank account. The DVV series, for example, pays out 10,000E, 7,000E and 5,000E, 2,500E and 1250E to the top 5 in the series.

In the WCs, PFP's result from the previous WC paid her 3,000 Euro. Eva Lechner made 15,000 for her overall 3rd place finish, plus all of the individual race finish prizes of 18,850 euro. That's 33,850 euro, or $42,000, for 9 races.
    Yep. Good money can be made racing cross. And I am sure Pauline is able to get some start money at some races.
    "The best pace is suicide pace, and today is a good day to die." Steve Prefontaine

Rides all the bikes!
    I don't imagine most of them are racing for anything less than money, or required practice. If racing CX before XC season pays the bills, than you have to do it. If you crash in a practice race on a course you will be racing in the upcoming season, than, well, sometimes you get hurt in practice!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by khardrunner14 View Post
    According to PFP's twitter account she is fine just with some bruising. She plans to race the world champs next week.

As for the crash, to me it looked like PFP losing her front wheel was the final cause. You can see it slide right into Neff causing her to crash and PFP to go right over the top.

I hope Neff is ok as well, she was flying too!
    That's good news, that was pretty ugly. Yeah, PFP was washing out and probably going down, but Neff was in the path of her slide and they both ended up going over the high-side.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

That is a lot of money, does she get the same kind of money from racing XC? I would think not.

Primative Screwhead
    Neff - broken collarbone and elbow, will miss first WC round (via Kross Instagram).

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    That is a lot of money, does she get the same kind of money from racing XC? I would think not.
    XC doesn't have the same the prize money but it isn't horrible. Catharine's best years was around $50,000 in prize money but that was with 3 world cup wins and a world championship.

A European rider (more UCI races) on a good does well. I bet that Jolanda cleared close to 100,000 in prize money alone during her best seasons.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Its too bad Neff did was not able to finish and wow...supprised she broke her collarbone. Neff was in the mix early on in top 3/4..great race. One cool part was a 45 degree off-camber downhill to a tricky dogleg. Most of the other women were outriggering through it and Neff just went through it barely having to put a foot down..
    Cool to see, too bad she was taken out at 3 or 4th lap on that same section.
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Ouch!
    PfP should have been the one with the broken collarbone!
    Looked to have the much heavier/higher landing.

Bugger for Jolanda

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    PFP went off in a full strecher and from her body language it looks like she has a collarbone plus, plus. The whole time neff was conforting her and Neff walked off. I thought she was ok and suppirse she got that beaten up...that crash looks worse in real time and if you really look those girls hit the deck when it was flattening out.
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

mtbr member
    Man that really sucks. Neff would have hit 2018 by storm

mtbr member
    From Kross Racing Team FB page:

Jolanda Neff broke her collarbone.

Kross Racing Team rider to undergo surgery today after breaking her left collarbone. The examination confirmed that she broke also right elbow. Neff crashed during the UCI cyclocross World Cup in Hoogerheide.

"I felt good yesterday and I enjoyed cyclocross races this year. The worst thing is not body pain but the idea that I miss World Championships next week. We decided with the team that it will be better to skip also first mountain bike World Cup in Stellenbosch. My plan is to recover for first European World Cup in Albstadt. I'm very thankful for Kross Racing Team guys: Magda, Kornel & Tomek and my dad that they came for me and supported me on cyclocross events this year." - said Jolanda Neff.

Jolanda Neff and Kross Racing Team thank for all help and warm words from the fans. We will inform about Jolanda's recovery as soon as possible.

mtbr member
    From Maja Wloszczowska, Neff's teammate:

"I can't describe how sorry I am. My teammate Jolanda Neff is a shiny star of every race she takes part in. Unfortunately she will not shine on CX World Champs and she will most probably not shine on first MTB World Cup. But this star is also a very strong women and I'm sure she will be back sooner than anyone can expect. Broken collarbone and elbow is just a short stop in her long, awesome sport career. Stay strong Jolo! We are waiting for you!"

Looks like Neff will miss first WC race in SA but should be back in Albstadt.

mtbr member
    I'd be really shocked if PFP didn't at least have a concussion from that. Has anyone heard if she is racing the World Champs on Sunday?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    According to her Twitter feed, she's fine and will race the world champs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    FOCUS XC Team: naughty Florian is deeply sorry and regrets everything he has said. Apparently just a big misunderstanding. Naughty, naughty Florian.

https://www.facebook.com/FOCUSXCTeam...type=3&theater

Formerly of Kent
    FOCUS XC Team: naughty Florian is deeply sorry and regrets everything he has said. Apparently just a big misunderstanding. Naughty, naughty Florian.

https://www.facebook.com/FOCUSXCTeam...type=3&theater
    Interesting. Apparently they ARE sponsoring an XCO team this year. With Vogel.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Wonder what lead him to believe he was out?

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Wonder what lead him to believe he was out?
    I believe what he said the other day is true. Focus is retiring from sponsoring XC this year.

On the other hand Focus XC team which is not the same as the factory is still under contract with its athletes and have to fulfill their support if they don't want any legal trouble.

Now, I don't know if focus xc team were thinking of breaching contract this season and Vogel going public made them reconsider or if Vogel thought since Focus factory was pulling out that the focus xc team would be disbanded right away.

To be honest none of the two make much sense, looks like sloppy management

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Makes sense. I forget at times that the factory backed teams are often not associated with the factory other then by name and being the main sponsor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nino finally was beaten yesterday...by a teammate: https://inthebunch.co.za/2018/02/sa-...trio-dominate/

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I think one of his strongest attributes is his ego is under control. It's not uncommon to see Nino loose an early season race or just barely win. He is great an saving it for the important races.

I know it was a sprint but I can only assume he took it easy during the race.

But on a side note he wouldn't let a sprint go with out trying. Good job to Mathias!

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Watching MVP struggle at CX worlds today really puts into context just how amazing Nino's season was last year. To never have a bad day at a major race over a 5 month season is feat that I think we under appreciate.

Don't be a sheep
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by LMN View Post
    Watching MVP struggle at CX worlds today really puts into context just how amazing Nino's season was last year. To never have a bad day at a major race over a 5 month season is feat that I think we under appreciate.
    Give the kid a break, he won more races in the last 5 months than Nino has in the last 3 years.
    "Do not touch the trim"

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    I don't know how you got something disparaging out of that comment.

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    I'd be interested to hear an expert analysis of MVDP's season. Not having access to data or anything more than what I can watch on live streams, the world's were baffling to me (to say the least). Not wanting to be negative, but I found myself asking whether or not MVDP threw the race. Here is a guy who slams out so much power, by lap 3 of nearly every WC race he's basically got it in the bag. At world champs, he gets beaten by Vanthourenhout who hasn't come within even a minute of MVDP at prior cup races.

I know form is hard to carry for long periods of time, but that would be a shockingly drastic drop in form over a really short period of time.

Maybe there is a super simple explanation. Maybe he was trying party_wagon's nutrition plan the night before (http://forums.mtbr.com/xc-racing-tra...y-1067876.html). In any case, I would be really interested to hear from someone closer to MVDP's data to help squash some of my speculation.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    I'd be interested to hear an expert analysis of MVDP's season. Not having access to data or anything more than what I can watch on live streams, the world's were baffling to me (to say the least). Not wanting to be negative, but I found myself asking whether or not MVDP threw the race. Here is a guy who slams out so much power, by lap 3 of nearly every WC race he's basically got it in the bag. At world champs, he gets beaten by Vanthourenhout who hasn't come within even a minute of MVDP at prior cup races.

I know form is hard to carry for long periods of time, but that would be a shockingly drastic drop in form over a really short period of time.

Maybe there is a super simple explanation. Maybe he was trying party_wagon's nutrition plan the night before (http://forums.mtbr.com/xc-racing-tra...y-1067876.html). In any case, I would be really interested to hear from someone closer to MVDP's data to help squash some of my speculation.
    I think the data wouldn't tell you anything of interest. Knowing why his power dropped would be the interesting part: pressure, lack of motivation, disliking the gnarly conditions,... maybe all came together, maybe not. I guess we will never know

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I am by no means an expert, but my initial thought after Saturday’s muddy races was “this course is Wout’s”. It wasn’t about power but who could get thier flow on that day. For whatever reason Wout seemsto nail the big race when conditions are tough, same as last year. Had this been a course where power was key with a few tech sectionsto master, MvDP would likely have won. However it was a slog fest on an extreme course. It was really about who had the flow.

I am not saing MvDP lacks skill or can’t do mud. I am saying he can win on just about any course against just about anyone, but this course in these conditions minimized that possibility.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    This course seemed to benefit diesel power...like Wout and Compton in the women's race enabling her to get the silver medal. A guy with "spurty" power like MvdP probably couldn't use it as effectively because of wheel slippage. Also, Wout again outfoxed them with his tire choice (horses for courses): https://www.cxmagazine.com/worlds-te...enburg-limburg

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    It's often been mentioned how Wout is a good runner.

LMN
    mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Wout had been getting closer. And in the past Wout has been better at heavy courses with steep run-ups.

I suspect that on 2nd lap when MVDP realized that he could not match Wout it crushed him mentally and he raced below his capacity for the rest of race.

When someone expects a certain result and find they are not going to get it they often massively under achieve.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    When someone expects a certain result and find they are not going to get it they often massively under achieve.
    That's my problem too, every race lol.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    VDP really drops the head when he realises he can't win.
    Plus watching that race they had to run nearly half the course. He may have huge 5min power on the bike but not worth much when you're carrying the thing.
    2018 Epic

Procaliber- sold
    ASR-C- sold
    ARC Carbon- sold
    SB-95C- play bike- sold

mtbr member
    Just watched this race for some good indoor trainer distraction... you could see exactly when VDP lost it mentally... first lap, side by side with Wout in that nasty mud run up... Wout is perfectly smooth the full way up. Fast feet. Effortless. Several slightly slips from VDP in the bottom and middle and a slight stumble near the top. From that point it was written across his hunched shoulders...

6 more of these lap climbs and I can’t even hold up the first one but there goes Wout.

Shit.

It also seemed pure mental when he pulled his act together when about to lose 3rd place near the end. Plenty of gas in the tank.

Damn fun race to watch.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Is there a place where to watch the replay?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Youtube UCI channel has all the WC races
    https://www.youtube.com/user/ucichannel

Rides all the bikes!
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    That's my problem too, every race lol.
    I've got the opposite. I always expect to be last, so anything above last gives me hope!

Armature speller
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidewalk View Post
    I've got the opposite. I always expect to be last, so anything above last gives me hope!
    I get last so others don't have to.
    It's a public service.

Rides all the bikes!
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to NordieBoy again.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivet View Post
    Give the kid a break, he won more races in the last 5 months than Nino has in the last 3 years.
    With all respect for MVP please dont compare Olympic champion with someone who dont have olympic medal. Olympic games are most important competition in world. And only few of them can achieve olympic medal, olny FEW! MVP has his carrer and we will see if he can have medal. And Nino have won 3 of them!

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by XC_killer View Post
    With all respect for MVP please dont compare Olympic champion with someone who dont have olympic medal. Olympic games are most important competition in world. And only few of them can achieve olympic medal, olny FEW! MVP has his carrer and we will see if he can have medal. And Nino have won 3 of them!
    That's like saying don't compare Peter Sagan to Greg van Avermaet.

Come on.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    That's like saying don't compare Peter Sagan to Greg van Avermaet.

Come on.

Please, use some logic! I have not compared them but instead this have been done by Rivet. By saying that MVD won more races than Nino in 3 years in which time he won 6 world cup, Olympic, and World championship. Has MVP done that in his sport, NO! You dont need to compare them but their achievements. Plus for this argument CX is very close to XC and even so MVP will have his chance at Olympic in 2020. Come here in 2020 and read my comment, MVP will not win medal! Maximum he can do is come in top 10.

Formerly of Kent
    Quote Originally Posted by XC_killer View Post
    Please, use some logic! I have not compared them but instead this have been done by Rivet. By saying that MVD won more races than Nino in 3 years in which time he won 6 world cup, Olympic, and World championship. Has MVP done that in his sport, NO! You dont need to compare them but their achievements. Plus for this argument CX is very close to XC and even so MVP will have his chance at Olympic in 2020. Come here in 2020 and read my comment, MVP will not win medal! Maximum he can do is come in top 10.
    Are you ignoring the fact that MvdP has a 2nd and an 8th place to his name in WC XCO events as a 22 year old?

As far as I can tell, that second place is better than Marco Aurelio Fontana or Carlos Coloma have ever done in a World Cup. Yet both of them have Olympic medals.

Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2017
    Are you ignoring the fact that MvdP has a 2nd and an 8th place to his name in WC XCO events as a 22 year old?

As far as I can tell, that second place is better than Marco Aurelio Fontana or Carlos Coloma have ever done in a World Cup. Yet both of them have Olympic medals.

I thought you know something about sport. But obiviosly you are internet troll.

This is why is Olympic most hard and important race in season. It is impossibly hard to prepre everything in 4 year period. Tapering, rest, to qualify, prepare mentaly and fitness. It is 4 year work for 1 day! Take some time and read sport history not only in cycling but other olympic sport and you will see what I am talking about. By my humble oppionion MVP is great rider, and Rivet compare him to Nino. For your information Nino won bronze medal at Olympic with only 21-22 years. If you compare Nino and MVP than Nino is much more succesful than MVP.

I told you, MVP is main plan Tokyo 2020 and you will see he will not get medal!

MVP is not even better than Pauline. But I say again he is great rider and great prospect.

Page 1 of 15 1234511 ... LastLast