2017 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon vs 2017 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 4- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2016

2017 Specialized Epic Comp Carbon vs 2017 Cannondale Scalpel Carbon 4

I have the opportunity to buy either of these two bikes for roughly the same price (~$3500) and I'm not sure which I want to go with. I plan on test riding both this weekend, but I want to know if anyone has any good or bad thoughts on these rides before I do. So far, my only real concern is the left fork on the Cannondale. I've heard that it can be hard to get replacement parts for it, but does anyone know if that's actually true? The Cannondale also isn't a 1X by default, so that adds a touch to the cost, but I'm not really concerned with a few dollars, so this becomes a minor point.

For reference, this bike will be purely used for XC racing (plus training) and the ability to carry two bottles in the main triangle is a driving force behind narrowing my search behind these two rigs; I loathe carrying a hydration pack and have had problems with behind the seat bottle cages before. I had briefly considered a Rocky Mountain Element since the 2017 version is supposed to carry two bottles, but the shops in my area that carry the brand generally don't stock the Element.

Can anyone help me make my decision!?

LDC is ded,deth by trollz
    Nov 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by hammonjj View Post
    I have the opportunity to buy either of these two bikes for roughly the same price (~$3500) and I'm not sure which I want to go with. I plan on test riding both this weekend, but I want to know if anyone has any good or bad thoughts on these rides before I do. So far, my only real concern is the left fork on the Cannondale. I've heard that it can be hard to get replacement parts for it, but does anyone know if that's actually true? The Cannondale also isn't a 1X by default, so that adds a touch to the cost, but I'm not really concerned with a few dollars, so this becomes a minor point.

For reference, this bike will be purely used for XC racing (plus training) and the ability to carry two bottles in the main triangle is a driving force behind narrowing my search behind these two rigs; I loathe carrying a hydration pack and have had problems with behind the seat bottle cages before. I had briefly considered a Rocky Mountain Element since the 2017 version is supposed to carry two bottles, but the shops in my area that carry the brand generally don't stock the Element.

Can anyone help me make my decision!?

I cant help you but ill throw this tidbit.

For every downside of the proprietary Cdale the Epic has just as many. So make sure you have an outstanding relationship with your dealer of these brands.

Good luck with choices. My friend just got the red scalpel not sure what "model" that is but hes in love. Had a 2014 epic fsr, he wanted 2 bottles and lost the feeling with his S dealer and went Scalpel.

Sent from my SM-G360P using Tapatalk
    Ill be out riding, youll still be trolling mtbr. Mtbr, where people who dont ride come to pretend they do.

mtbr member
    What frame size would you be riding? Both bikes are similar in that the second bottle cage mount will be restricted on a small frame.

Something that's worth noting is the double bottle cages on a size Large 2016 Specialized Epic can only fit certain bottles. Smaller frame sizes will be more limited again.

In this picture the water bottles are Specialized Purist bottles 26oz, 768ml size. If you look at how close the bottle cap (pushed down closed) is to the rear shock that's the biggest bottle that will physically fit in the seat tube bottle cage.

You could have a bigger size bottle in the front cage, but then you can't swap the two bottles over on the move once the first one is finished (it's much easier to reach the down tube cage bottle than the seat tube cage bottle). You'd have to pour the contents of the smaller bottle into the bigger bottle which would mean stopping.

With the Specialized Purist bottles you can't get all the fluid out of them with the top on. You have to unscrew the bottle top to be able to get the last few ml of fluid out of the bottle.

mtbr member
    I think the test ride is the best way to go. Go with the one that feels more confident.

What size of frame do you ride? I think the Scalpel is a 27.5 in small frame.

I tried a Epic for a couple days last year, it was too twitchy for what I wanted. The Scalpel is more "modern" geometry but I think Epic is finally using 51mm offset as well.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by kevbikemad View Post
    What size of frame do you ride? I think the Scalpel is a 27.5 in small frame
    I'm 5'11, so I would likely be riding a large.