2014 Sidi Drako vs. Spider- Mtbr.com
    Fat-tired Roadie

2014 Sidi Drako vs. Spider

So I looked around on the 'net and found a lot of stuff on the old Spider model, but this year's has a new sole. I think the Drako has been pretty stable.

Anyone try them both? I'm trying to decide if I want to spend the extra money for the Drako. And if I stick with the Spider, whether to get it with a mesh or lorica upper.

Lately I'm doing a lot of MTB for fun and for endurance training, with Plan 'A' still being track racing this season. I'll probably race the MTB twice. If track doesn't look like working out this season, I'll do a couple MTB endurance races too.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    My wife has ran the Drakos since they came out. They are awesome. She was on Dragons before. I've been on Dragons and Dragon 2's. My 2's are nearing the end and I'll probably pick up some Drakos.

The Drakos are much lighter than the old Dragon design and will be even more so, when compared to the Spyder.

mtbr member
    I have the spider. They were on sale, and i couldnt see spending over $100 more for the drako. I went from a specialized carbon sole shoe, to the spider. Its still a stiff shoe, but there is flex at the toe. I think they're great for cx.

Heres a comparison geared towards cx though...

Cyclocross Bikes, Photos, Videos and Culture | Mud and Cowbells - Mud and Cowbells Blog - The Sidi Drako vs Sidi Spider | Which is the better cyclocross*shoe?

Fat-tired Roadie
    I saw that article. The problem I have with it is that it's from before the Spider went to carbon soles.

Fakie, do yours have the newer carbon sole, or the previous one?
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

Bro Mountainbiker
    I ride the Draco... Its a great race shoe. Hands down the stiffest shoe I have ever ridden or touched. Road or MTN... Great for sprinting. Not the best for endurance or walking....

During the Snake Creek Gap TT,(5500ft elevation, 34miles) you pretty much have to walk some sections. The shoe stumbles for traction over some of the rocks when hiking sections like "The Wall".

It was designed for World Cup XC racing. 1.5 hour efforts. Beyond that, its not the most comfortable.

If I were to buy again, it would be the spiders. They are most likely stiff enough for racing, but cheaper, more comfortable, and better for the occasional hike a bike. Hell, cant clean everything on a SS!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrwSwitch View Post
    Fakie, do yours have the newer carbon sole, or the previous one?
    Mine are not carbon. I got them last spring. Its possible they're 2012 models.