XS gal looking for advice on a new XS bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jun 2015

XS gal looking for advice on a new XS bike

So I've never posted on here....or any forum for that matter, so here it go's...
    I previously was on a Yeti 575 xs frame, until it was snatch from my camp in Canada. I know sob story, right. Well I've been counting my pennies and doing my research and it seems a lot has changed since my Yeti purchase in 2009. I'm also just now realizing that my extra small Yeti frame my in fact have been too big for me. I'm 5'2'" with a 28" stand over height(barefoot) and I'm looking for my next bike to have more travel & slack. I'm very much a trail rider with my roots in Colorado/Utah but have been spending my summers tackling the awesome BC all-moutain terrain and advancing quickly. The 575 was great but maybe it was time for something with a bit more umph after all. I'm having trouble finding many options that offer a small enough frame but can also handle more aggressive riding. I'm also not down with carbon frames which should also help keep my pocketbook happy, I'm not ok with a $5k+ bike right now. Any suggestions out there?

gobsmacked Moderator
    hey. welcome to the forum. what budget are you comfortable with? Would you do used?

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I'm still having a bit of sticker shock since my last purchase 6 years ago prices have sky-rocketed! I suppose to be realistic on what I want and what I think I can spend it would say between the $2,500-$4,000 range. And yes, I would consider used but think I'd rather 2015 or 2016...as I don't replace my gear often.

mtbr member
    So, one thing about standover is that I really think you should measure that wearing your riding shoes. No one rides barefoot, and your shoes will give you an extra half inch at least.

For that genre of bike and your budget, check out the Guerilla Gravity Megatrail. I know a lot of smaller lady riders love theirs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    I haven't heard of Guerilla, I will look them up asap! I'm factoring in the added inch or so to the stand over. My Yeti was 29" and I couldn't touch the ground with both feet, so don't want that to happen this round. Thanks so much!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RockstompingRoxy View Post
    My Yeti was 29" and I couldn't touch the ground with both feet, so don't want that to happen this round.
    Joys of 29er bikes. roll over everything, but they're huge. If you like trail riding, I'd look at a 26+ (mini fat) or a 27.5" bike. The Giant Lust (27.5" wheels) XS has a lower 25.7" standover, nice carbon fiber frame with alloy rear triangle. Not sure I like the QR rear hub on a full suspension frame or the lower end schimano brakes at this price though.
    Lust Advanced 2 (2016) | Giant Bicycles | United States
    "a hundred travel books isn't worth one real trip"

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Hey thanks for the feedback! I will look closer at some other Giant options. Right now their Liv Intruge is on the table for me for sure.

Bored Carp
    Pivot's Mach 6 comes in alu and carbon models, both in XS: Pivot Cycles for All Sizes - 2016 Women's Bikes and Gear at Interbike - Mountain Biking Pictures - Vital MTB

I've been doing some work researching XS trail models lately, and while Guerrilla Gravity talks about being inexpensive, they actually end up costing more than every established brand offering I've charted - ie. The Mach 6 Aluminum 150mm enduro bike can be had for $3499 through an LBS and Guerrilla Gravity is $3800 consumer direct. The Lush and Intrigue series beat the mail order bike by even more significant margins. You also have the issue of getting that bike worked on - local mechanics are not going to be stoked about working on an obvious mail order bike, they will do it, but...

The good news is that there is a LOT of good long travel XS stuff out there these days, it's pretty cool. Big change from back in the day. Trek Lush series, Pivot Mach 6 Series and the Giant Intrigue series all offer brand new bikes that fit your standover needs and price. I'm sure there are many more as well.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Awesome Chucky! The Pivot's Mach 6 is on the top of my list for sure. I have yet to really research the Guerrilla. Liv Intrigue is still on the table too. Any thoughts on Kona's Process 153? It seems to be an options for me as well, not to mention the shortest stand over height still with 160mm travel. I'm also checking out the Transition Patrol as a possible contender. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Being a small female rider must be annoying when shopping for bikes. I am 5'7" and can ride Men sized bikes. Sometimes I switch out a few things.

I was looking at Yeti bikes when shopping. When I looked at the Geo of them I was shocked at how big they were. At least on paper they seem to run large. They are awesome bikes. I have a Santa Cruz and LOVE IT. Have you looked into Santa Cruz's sister company Juliana? they have nice bikes with smaller frames. Sadly they seem to be more expensive than Santa Cruz.

Everyone always talks about stand over. I feel Reach is most important. The Reach is your cockpit and if you are doing technical trails you want to make sure your Cockpit fits you well. As long as your bike is not splitting you in 2 when you hope off it's all good I say.

You can find some good deals on used mountain bikes but they are still expensive both my bikes I bought used and have upgraded my Santa Cruz a bit since I got it.

I rode a Norco and it was a really nice ride they are also priced right. They don't seem to hold their resale value as well as others so getting a good deal on a used one is easy.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Wow, thanks Sarah!
    Sounds like I do really need to address my reach as well. I have drooled over Juliana bikes for sure. It looks like I'm narrowing the list down a bit to Pivot Mach 6, Transtiin Patrol or Liv Intruge. But I have yet to demo any of them.
    Thanks again for you advice I really appreciate it!

Don't worry, be happy!
    I ride a liv intrigue and spend time in BC, let me know if you want my thoughts.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by RockstompingRoxy View Post
    Wow, thanks Sarah!
    Sounds like I do really need to address my reach as well. I have drooled over Juliana bikes for sure. It looks like I'm narrowing the list down a bit to Pivot Mach 6, Transtiin Patrol or Liv Intruge. But I have yet to demo any of them.
    Thanks again for you advice I really appreciate it!
    You should definitely think about reach. I agree with sarah that that's a more important factor in bike sizing, imho.

Bored Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    You should definitely think about reach. I agree with sarah that that's a more important factor in bike sizing, imho.
    It is more important, IF you can stand over the frame comfortably. A frame you can't stand over is really a non-starter if you are looking to increase your technical skill set. knowing you have a good chance of hitting the top tube/being is pain in the case of a get-off will inhibit your willingness to try new challenges.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky View Post
    It is more important, IF you can stand over the frame comfortably. A frame you can't stand over is really a non-starter if you are looking to increase your technical skill set. knowing you have a good chance of hitting the top tube/being is pain in the case of a get-off will inhibit your willingness to try new challenges.
    to tell you the truth, I'm specifically referring to the OP and I assumed that she could somehow reach the ground with her feet and understands basic standover. If the top tube is so tall that she's boinking her bits then it's rather obvious that it's too big and she has a bike already that she feels is too big so she'll know right away that it's too big (re standover). She knows these things already and reach is something that is not discussed enough and something less obvious to riders.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    My wife is looking seriously at the Intrigue. We would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post
    My wife is looking seriously at the Intrigue. We would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Thanks.
    I test rode the lust and really like it. Where I live I don't need more then 120mm of travel so the intrigue would be more then I need.

I'm curious to hear on what you two decide on.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skooks View Post

Thanks.
    Short version, you can pry it out of my cold dead hands. For BC trail riding, you guys sure love your travel so maybe take a look at the SX. I've got the 140 on the front (Intrigue 2015 1) which works for me just fine.
    I'm not going to rewrite info I've posted before so...

playful, fun, stable, I feel like I'm "in" the bike, not on it; it pushes me to stand up and climbs. I do a lot of techy mountain trail riding with mine; my ladies ride co-host races enduro and does light DH runs with hers.

http://forums.mtbr.com/womens-lounge...ne-941551.html

also
    https://cyclecraft.wordpress.com/201...giant-mistake/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Knolly Warden size small FTW.
    Knolly Chilcotin size small if you want to go used and 26".

Pivot Mach 6 size XS if you want to go carbon.

Rocky Mtn Altitude size XS if you want to buy my old frame. Just had the front triangle replaced after cracking the old one. This bike fits almost exactly like the Mach 6, with a slightly higher standover. Not perfect, but it works, and it shreds, and it's a solid option if you want to keep your budget down.
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Warden
    Knolly Podium
    Knolly Delirium