Wrist support- Mtbr.com

Thread: Wrist support

mtbr member

Wrist support

Long story short: Ow my wrists hurt! I noticed that after riding a couple hours, on chatter, my wrists are killing me. It's not a constant ache, it is just while flying down rough patches. Is there any kind of support I can give them to reduce the vibration or maybe some wrist exercises/nutritional support/new gloves? Anyone else experience this and found a round about? TIA!

mtbr member
    I have a weakness in my left wrist and wear a 661 wrist brace. Solves the problem completely. Pain if I don't wear it, none if I do.

The brace had two pieces of foam stiffener in it but I found it too uncomfortable so removed one of them.

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'll look into them. I notice for myself it hurts to chatter down but it also hurts if I'm trying to brake while chattering down. Hopefully braces will ease the pain and allow me to keep the fun factor up.

mtbr member
    Ergon GS1 grips have helped with my discomfort. Other models have more, or less support, so you can choose based on your needs.

I had tendinitis in my elbow, and exercises did resolve that, so I expect there are exercises that might help. A health care provider would probably know.

mtbr member
    Thanks for your suggestion. I stuck some in my amazon cart. Sounds like something that should really help with my wrists.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Have you had your cockpit set up checked? Sometimes something as simple as adjusting the brake levers can make a huge difference. Other factors can be sweep and rise of handlebars, riser height and stem length. IE, look for the root of the problem not just a quick fix.

mtbr member
    Thank you for the reminder. I'll be seeing my former bike mechanic this Friday so I will ask him to make sure everything is still set up correctly. It's been about six months since I've had it checked for my fit.

mtbr member
    Check your seat angle as well as your cockpit. I have a wonky wrist and was having a lot of wrist pain until I readjusted my seat. Itís amazing how much just a little change in angle can make a difference. If my seat is tilted a little too forward, my wrists really hurt, a little too far back, my butt hurts. Other options are adjusting the front suspension, getting carbon bars (I love mine!) or, I was going to get Revolution Suspension Grips if I continues to have a problem.

L1MEY
    Definitely check the rotation of your bars and brake levers. I loosened up my bars and stem recently chasing an annoying creaking noise and failed to put them back in the exact same position. After the next ride I noticed my left wrist hurting and wasn't sure why, but when I looked I noticed that the brake levers were slightly higher than normal so my wrist was slightly bent while braking in a low attack position. Once I moved my brakes back down again I didn't have any more pain during or after the next ride. The difference was really small too... just a few millimeters.

If it's not that, you might try a different grip and bar combo. I really like my Renthal carbon bars and ESI Chunky grips for smoothing out trail chatter. Try the grips first as they're cheap!
    Ride like a girl! :cornut: