Work Ethic, Etc- Mtbr.com

Thread: Work Ethic, Etc

dw22107
    Jan 2008

Work Ethic, Etc

I am not sure what is ok to say these days. Is it ok to compliment a lady or keep your mouth shut. If you are 40+ compliments were common growing up. These days are you out of line for commenting on a hair cut, possible wait loss or just for looking nice? My female roommate says if you may have lost weight never bring weight to the topic even if a compliment. I am self employed so not quite up to date on these issues.Any advice would be great Some of the harrassment issues are beyond my belief and can't believe this stuff goes on. But being single guy why even try these days. I believe I am an old fashinoned guy but does complimenting somebody make me creepy. If so guess just shut up an never be social with any body. thanks for any any input.

L1MEY
    Always compliment a lady's mountain bike

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

mtbr member
    No.
    I wouldn't compliment a guy I don't know on his appearance, either.
    That doesn't mean you can't be sociable. I'm a typical old guy in that I just walk up to people and start talking....can't hardly shut me up.

As Mah....says, I'd compliment anyone on their gear, and often do.

Don't worry, be happy!
    What kind of compliment?

As a guideline I'd say anything appearance/physically related is always inappropriate unless you know someone well. Hey Susie, that new hair cut looks great (Susie is someone you ride with all the time)Physical compliments from strangers have ALWAYS been creepy - people just talk about it more now.

If it's ability, don't be condescending.
    I saw that jump you did, that was amazing!
    Not, I've never seen a girl do a jump like that.

When in doubt, compliment the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    What kind of compliment?

As a guideline I'd say anything appearance/physically related is always inappropriate unless you know someone well. Hey Susie, that new hair cut looks great (Susie is someone you ride with all the time)Physical compliments from strangers have ALWAYS been creepy - people just talk about it more now.

If it's ability, don't be condescending.
    I saw that jump you did, that was amazing!
    Not, I've never seen a girl do a jump like that.

When in doubt, compliment the bike.
    Funny....I'm fine when people tell me, "Joe, I've never seen a girl jump like that"!

Turns right, slides left
    Quote Originally Posted by dw22107 View Post
    I am not sure what is ok to say these days. Is it ok to compliment a lady or keep your mouth shut. If you are 40+ compliments were common growing up. These days are you out of line for commenting on a hair cut, possible wait loss or just for looking nice? My female roommate says if you may have lost weight never bring weight to the topic even if a compliment. I am self employed so not quite up to date on these issues.Any advice would be great Some of the harrassment issues are beyond my belief and can't believe this stuff goes on. But being single guy why even try these days. I believe I am an old fashinoned guy but does complimenting somebody make me creepy. If so guess just shut up an never be social with any body. thanks for any any input.
    In the workplace? Other than work performance, NO compliments of any kind to anyone unless:

1) You work for fun and don't need the paycheck
    2) You live dangerously and have a good employment attorney on speed dial

Don't worry, be happy!
    But being single guy why even try these days. I believe I am an old fashinoned guy but does complimenting somebody make me creepy. If so guess just shut up an never be social with any body. thanks for any any input.
    Surely you have the capability and the intellect to make creative, interesting conversation? At least to not be boring? No need to go all Poor Me.

MSU alum I can't give you any more rep.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    Surely you have the capability and the intellect to make creative, interesting conversation? At least to not be boring? No need to go all Poor Me.

MSU alum I can't give you any more rep.
    Whew....I'm glad you get my humor. It's just that I do jump like a girl....a 5 year old on a pink bike with sparkly tassels.

Cycologist
    Quote Originally Posted by 410sprint View Post
    In the workplace? Other than work performance, NO compliments of any kind to anyone unless:

1) You work for fun and don't need the paycheck
    2) You live dangerously and have a good employment attorney on speed dial
    I think it depends on where you work. I'm in my 50s and told one of the single twenty somethings in my office that she "wore flannel well" once when she was wearing a nice flannel shirt, just a super casual comment. Months later, another lady, married and in her 30s, told me that the twenty something had told her of my compliment and she was jealous because I'd never told her that. I was stunned that the first lady had even remembered my comment 10 minutes after I made it, but I realized that she took it as a real compliment. I waited a bit so as not too seem too obvious and then complemented the second lady "you do wear flannel well" when I had the chance.

Seems silly and I'm well aware that being much older than these ladies requires me to be cautious in what I say. And I'm not their boss in any way. An appropriate well-meaning compliment to a woman that you know should not be a bad thing.
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    OK... work ethic and work etiquette are NOT the same thing.
    And... I am not sure how the OP's question relates to mountain biking?

Maybe you can combine them and safely (without offense) compliment someone on their biking Work Ethic: "Wow, you are out training every day and you never slack off even when the weather is bad. I wish I had a work ethic like that, I would be a much stronger rider!"

OTOH, even if you know your co-worker is a mountain biker, it would be bad Work Etiquette to compliment them on their toned and muscular calves.
    I drank the 29er koolaid- turns out it was POWERade :)

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ka81ua View Post
    Move to normal country where men are still MEN, and women are still LADIES.
    I shouldn't bump this, but to the OP, this is a great example of what to avoid!

Seriously though, I'm over 40 and haven't ever had a problem not being a creep. Compliments are fine, IF your talking to a friend. Or even a friend you work with. Otherwise just stick to the assumption that you might be making someone uncomfortable. Just because something used to be common doesn't make it alright.

mtbr member
    Shit. I thought this was going to be a thread about #thathustle but instead we have to explain sexism.

Is blowing a snot rocket while riding my mountain bike more or less ladylike than just letting it drip?

L1MEY
    Well shucks. I guess I'd better dig that old hoop skirt out and start shredding side-saddle then

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

Cycologist
    If I may say, both sexes should be treated the same in regards to money earned for work performed and any similar issues. But I don't think we should just say men and women are the same in all regards and forget about the differences; we are all certainly equal. I still hold the door for women. Ok, sometimes I hold them for men as well depending on the situation. I would offer a lady my seat on public transportation whereas I would not for a man unless he was elderly (I very rarely use public transportation btw).
    This post is a natural product. Variances in spelling & grammar should be appreciated as part of its character & beauty.

mtbr member
    In my experience if you're geniune and have no ulterior motives or better yet positive motives compliments are well received. If you're a creep everybody already knows but you. I'm in a professional position where I constantly try to build people's morale and make them feel appreciated. BS is definitely no way to accomplish this.

I'm with chazpat in the belief differences in gender, race, culture, etc should be celebrated and not used divisively, though I hold the door for everybody. Political correctness has overcorrected.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by MSU Alum View Post
    Whew....I'm glad you get my humor. It's just that I do jump like a girl....a 5 year old on a pink bike with sparkly tassels.
    You better be wearing a unicorn helmet too, or you lose serious cool points.

always licking the glass
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucy Juice View Post
    Shit. I thought this was going to be a thread about #thathustle but instead we have to explain sexism.

Is blowing a snot rocket while riding my mountain bike more or less ladylike than just letting it drip?
    Depends on who you are aiming it at.

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    So cute..
    OK

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    My rule of thumb is that it is never appropriate to comment on someone's physical attributes. This goes for both sexes though... you just don't know what people are sensation about.. in example:

-if they are tall, don't make a joke about being tall
    -if they are fat, don't bring up weight loss or gain... unless they lose like 50 lbs, or bring it up themselves
    -An obvious haircut is something that I think is okay to compliment

That being said... if they are my friend you best believe I'm gonna tell them they are getting fat, haha

Giant Reign Advanced 1
    Fats are fat and ugly, period.
    OK