Woman Cycist Hits Headlines with *ick Comment- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Woman Cycist Hits Headlines with *ick Comment

"AS CYCLING Australia admonished Chloe Hosking for calling the president of the sport's international governing body ''a dick'', the leading female rider was preparing a formal apology but maintaining her rage over the federation's poor support of women...."

...The Commonwealth Games bronze medallist branded McQuaid ''a dick'' due to his view that female professionals do not deserve a minimum salary, which he expressed at the world road championships last year.

Read more: Cyclist sorry, but maintains rage

Des(s)ert Rat
    I'm glad someone has the ovaries to say it!

Bored Carp
    Pat McQuaid has a long history of making choices to support his position rather than the cyclists subject to his federation's rules. Chloe is right.

Cycling federations are particularly subject to public comments. If you wanted to support her, you could send a brief note to Cycling Australia and the UCI. Tell 'em you agree, and that they shouldn't sanction her for telling the truth.

[email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]
    [email protected]

I stopped racing at a time when I had never been stronger or faster, and was seeing great progress. Why? Because I did the math - I was not going to be able to support myself on a women's racing salary.

Bottom line - there aren't a lot of reasons for companies to sponsor women's teams - the races are not at prime time, they don't draw the spectators nor do they currently influence as much purchasing as the supportive folks think they might. Professional women's teams have a lot of work to do in order to show that they can be a viable marketing expense for sponsors rather than a passion project. However - it would be better for the UCI to express the desire that salaries ought to be equal than to actually make it policy that they shouldn't ever be that way - for now it is only words, but words can be powerful.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Des(s)ert Rat
    Once again, words of wisdom (and it fits well with your signature). Thanks, chuky.

One highly successful marketing story for a company sponsoring women's teams is Clif Bar and how they market their Luna Bat with Luna Teams.

Bored Carp
    I wish they actually made a Luna Bat. heh.

Yes, Luna is an interesting project, and without exception, the most professionally run women's team in the world. The riders are on-message, pleasant to work with and responsive. They are a pleasure to sponsor.

The team is only a part of the package, though. Luna is heavily marketed to women who really have no idea who Georgia Gould is - the success of the product has a lot more to do with current trends in food marketing, and with the fact that the lemon bar is super yummy :-) . The team benefits more from the momentum of the product than the product benefits from the team, at this point. More power to Clif for their continued support of top level women's racers, though.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Moderator Moderator
    Thanks for the info & comments, Chuky & Screampint. I dropped them an email in support of Chloe. Sadly, I don't know anything about Georgia Gould either. I don't really follow any pro cycling but do know most of the mens' names from DVR'g the Tour, etc. What do you recommend for a good way (website, etc.) to follow women's road or mtb'g? Are any races covered on TV?

Des(s)ert Rat
    Georgia who?

Yes, they have yummy stuff, and that certainly helps. But I can't help but hope that the Luna Girls have some sort of impact (my daughter used to say she wanted to grow up to be a Luna Girl, and she didn't know their names). Guess that would be too much to ask for.

As far as her wording, Chloe could have been a bit more diplomatic, but then if she were, would the comment get noticed? The conundrum, be a b*tch and get heard or be polite and be brushed under the rug. I'm not so good at being a b*tch, but I hate to be ignored.

Bored Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by screampint View Post
    Georgia who?

Yes, they have yummy stuff, and that certainly helps. But I can't help but hope that the Luna Girls have some sort of impact (my daughter used to say she wanted to grow up to be a Luna Girl, and she didn't know their names). Guess that would be too much to ask for.

As far as her wording, Chloe could have been a bit more diplomatic, but then if she were, would the comment get noticed? The conundrum, be a b*tch and get heard or be polite and be brushed under the rug. I'm not so good at being a b*tch, but I hate to be ignored.

I think the Luna girls have an impact, especially for girls with active mothers like you, who hold women like Georgia up as life-examples. But I don't think they are the driving force for Luna Bar sales. Clif has a robust marketing/distributing program for Luna, and I think the volume of their sales comes from grocery stores and REI type stores, rather than bike shops.

Yeah, I have an issue with the ***** label. If Chloe didn't surprise anyone, her words wouldn't have had an impact. If she were a guy they wouldn't expect an apology - they would respect his willingness to stand up to authority.

This kind of gender politic highlights the challenge of being an elite female athlete. We need to be aggressive on the race course, driven in our training and focused on winning, but in public we have to be demure? A lot of people don't like alpha-women, but that is what many winning athletes are - uncompromising, sure of themselves and willing to stand up to protect their team, pay and ability to win - male or female. I think the Williams sisters get a lot of flack for this, too.

Now for something fun, but relevant:
    Women Fighters in Reasonable Armor

Bored Carp
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    I don't really follow any pro cycling but do know most of the mens' names from DVR'g the Tour, etc. What do you recommend for a good way (website, etc.) to follow women's road or mtb'g? Are any races covered on TV?
    Heh. And there is the problem. Bike racing has a minimal presence on TV. If they have to pick one race, promotors will pick the men's race to televise. Paola Pezzo had them interested for a while, but that had a lot more to do with her cleavage than her absolutely dominant racing.

Following women's racing is a labour of love requiring a lot of time on obscure cycling websites. Your reward is a personal relationship with the women you support - they have very few fans and will remember your name. The highlight of my racing was the day my teammate and I signed waterbottles for 4 little girls that told me I was a superhero - I will never ever forget them.

Ancient Astronaut
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    "AS CYCLING Australia admonished Chloe Hosking for calling the president of the sport's international governing body ''a dick'', the leading female rider was preparing a formal apology but maintaining her rage over the federation's poor support of women...."

...The Commonwealth Games bronze medallist branded McQuaid ''a dick'' due to his view that female professionals do not deserve a minimum salary, which he expressed at the world road championships last year.

Read more: Cyclist sorry, but maintains rage
    I personally have disliked doing business with Australian men, they are most definitely of a patriarch mindset. and are constantly obsessed with competition whether the other party is interested in it or not. They tend to act much like children and have some times honored their ancestry's origin (British convicts) by exhibiting less than ethical behavior.

Of course that has only been my personal experience, and I hate to think all Aussies are like that, so I can only attest for there being at least 20 of them whom I can wholeheartedly certify to be genuine icks.

Aussie women are a whole other matter, my experience with them was more than satisfactory, and they seam to appreciate a women's man over a man's man.

Bored Carp
    Pat McQuaid is Irish - the head of the Union Cycliste International. And, this comes off pretty poorly - I personally wouldn't want that kind of statement in my post history.

Ancient Astronaut
    Quote Originally Posted by chuky View Post
    Pat McQuaid is Irish - the head of the Union Cycliste International. And, this comes off pretty poorly - I personally wouldn't want that kind of statement in my post history.
    Oh well, what an ick I am.

My apologies, you are 100% correct.

An ignorant ick, I am ashamed, I never thought it would come down to this, very sorry I am.