What's an awesome carbon ladies bike?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2017

What's an awesome carbon ladies bike?

My wife has started to take off MTBing and I don't want to upgrade/repair/invest in her less than ideal Liv Embolden bike. The suspension design kind of sucks and the frame geo kind of sucks (I didn't know much better at the time but I do now).

She is hitting jumps and drops really well and enjoys the fitness climbs as well. I'd like to stick to efficient suspensions too.

I have some initial thoughts and I don't care if its ladies specific or not:

1- Yeti Beti (she likes the storm color more than the turquoise sb5)
    2- Devinic Troy
    3- 5010/Furtado
    4- A Pivot bike? I'm not a fan of the 5.5 as its plusher than all their other DWlinks due to the Fox Live plans. Not super efficient but I like the design
    5- Ibis Mojo3...maybe my favorite on paper or close with Yeti
    6- Maybe new RM Altitude? (I have new Instinct and its dopeness)

I think 27.5 wheels are best at this point (she likes them). She is about 5ft5in tall.

So...those are my thoughts, but I don't have the experience and neither does my wife. Hoping to lean on some external wisdom is what to look for and what to avoid.

poser Administrator
    I will jump in for my wife, she has a devinci troy and really likes it. The 27.5 tires are well suited to her 5'6" ish height and the bike itself is a nice combo of quality and value. The suspension is pretty simplistic vs a lot of the VPP designs but it works well for its intended purpose.

At her height pretty much any small or medium carbon frame should be suitable. As I recall my wife is on a medium Troy. I don't think you need anything female specific outside getting a saddle that works but that is general advice for anyone. I have no idea why bikes even come with saddles since saddle fit is so specific.
    MTBR Posting Guidelines
    calories>electrons

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    I see no diff for your wife then I would for you-----she needs to go demo what you have in your area and on trails she would ride---especially as you are listing costly bikes. It would help here if you described your trails--I agree 27.5 is probably the right wheel size but beyond that you will get lots of opinions here which are of little use compared to her riding the bikes.

mtbr member
    Take her out to bike demos, have her ride and tell you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yeah I'm just looking for bikes that maybe I missed. Building out here "dance card" so to speak. Lol rockcrusher, agreed on a saddle, its dumb.

mtbr member
    Unless she's very light, I see no advantage to the Yeti Beti over the SB5c.
    Oops, never mind. Color counts!

Don't worry, be happy!
    I LOVE my Liv Intrigue. They've brought it back out in only carbon. The Intrigue is a significantly different/more advance trail bike than the Embolden.

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post
    I LOVE my Liv Intrigue. They've brought it back out in only carbon. The Intrigue is a significantly different/more advance trail bike than the Embolden.
    Wow, I just looked up the Liv Advanced carbon. Lol that is a sick looking bike too...I'd ride that color-away in a heatbeat. The seat tube design is a flaw tho. We have nearly the same design on our Embolden, there is a nasty kink in it and you can't fit a very long dropper in it. Nearly every pic of it has half the dropper post insert sticking out. Correct me if I'm wrong tho, can you fit a 150mm in there all the way?

Don't worry, be happy!
    It's got a 4" dropper and that's plenty. The earlier iteration of the Intrigue had a 3". I have been told that with some creative cable routing you can get another 3/4" out of the drop. As it is, huge improvement - I agree that the earlier design was a flaw.

Still chuggin' along
    Have you checked the Spot Mayhem? I'm 5'4" and have the 29 version; there is a 27.5, too. I test rode a Niner RIP 9 which is also a great bike. The Spot makes climbing actually fun! Its not a light bike but coming from my Turner XCE, its way less tiring to ride and pushes me to ride faster and climbs and accelerates so much better. Have fun shopping!

I forgot to mention, VeloFix will assemble the bike for you and get it fitted. They did an AMAZING job with my bike and the builder treated my bike like his own and he was very thorough and particular about every square inch plus, he knows the brand well and was able to get everything dialed in perfectly. I can't recommend them enough! The bike fits so well, its actually comfortable to ride! I just wish my legs were up to the challenge of riding more!!
    Make Everyday your Masterpiece - George Michael

Moderator Moderator
    The tougher question is, which one isn't awesome!

mtbr member
    I have a non-boost SB5c. My lovely bride rode it, and liked it...A LOT...so I built up a very nice boost version SB5 turq, which she loves.
    I just finished my first ride on a Giant Trance 29 Pro 1, on which I swapped out some parts and got it down to 26.6 pounds with pedals.
    I slaughtered my previous climbing PR on the first ride.
    My wife isn't interested in PR's, but it's a useful measure of how efficiently a bike pedals. She's away on a trip with our daughter now, but I'm going to get her to ride it, as I think she'd love it. I also think I can build it up even better and lighter for her application, but even stock, it's a smokin' value! Even the Pro 29 2 is a great value if you're more budget oriented (being empty-nesters has its rewards!).

I wouldn't discount a 29er for a 5'5" rider.
    My wife and I have both shrunken from our previous majestic heights as we've aged, and the 29ers of today work well even for some shorter riders.

Magically Delicious
    While finding the 'right' ride for fit and comfort should be at the top of the list, also consider the company, it's customer service and the warranty offered.

My wife transitioned from a Yeti SB-75 to a Juliana Furtado (Santa Cruz 5010) CC Carbon (27.5 wheels) and it has been a wonderful experience for her. Life time warranty on the frame and the customer service with Santa Cruz has been exemplary. I'm on my third Santa Cruz and this is her first. Take your time and demo as much as practically possible. Try to get on the trails and not just a parking lot. And, one bike that has all of the right attributes can be nixed just because it wasn't setup or 'dialed in' to her weight or fit. Try to ensure it's set up correctly. Not just in fitting, but suspension too. It will make a big difference.

What's an awesome carbon ladies bike?-20180209_171536-i.jpg
    A bad day of cycling is better than a good day at work

Work Truck - Dassault Falcon 7X

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Nice bike!