US Olympic cyclist found dead- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2018

US Olympic cyclist found dead

U.S. Olympic cyclist Catlin found dead at age 23

So sad to hear about this. I wish she could have found some help.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Will swerve for leaves.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^ How terrible. So athletic and so smart, such a loss.

9 lives
    Very sad

She had a couple crashes before she died. There may be a connection to her mood and head injuries which led to her suicide
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Very sad

She had a couple crashes before she died. There may be a connection to her mood and head injuries which led to her suicide
    Oh wow, I didn't know that. That could be a factor in her death.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Will swerve for leaves.

Snow Dog
    will have to put in a mile in her honor this weekend....
    Go Practice. Figure it out - Fleas

15 Surly Krampus - King Amongst Bikes
    LET IT SNOW!

9 lives
    https://www.twincities.com/2019/03/1...at-age-23/amp/

“She just felt like she couldn’t say no to everything that was asked of her, and this was her only escape. She had suffered a concussion a few months ago and had not been the same mentally ever since,” Christine said. “She was overtraining, and she needed a break. She clearly needed a break after the concussion because she couldn’t train as hard as she used to. She was seeing bright lights, getting horrible headaches and having racing thoughts, and still trying to go as hard as ever.”

Just for clarity, it was suicide that was probably precipitated by a concussion she had, as mentioned in the article linked above.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Thanks for sharing the article.

Moderator Moderator
    I have a lot of respect for her family, both for this donation and for being able to talk about their loss.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...=.4dd364c86ac4

Moderator Moderator
    Cyclist’s father says Stanford could have done more before her suicide

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/a...e-13722422.php

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    Cyclist’s father says Stanford could have done more before her suicide

https://www.sfchronicle.com/sports/a...e-13722422.php
    Damn shame. University health departments are NOT good with this sort of thing.

My wife wrecked her bike commuting on campus when she was an undergrad. She ABSOLUTELY had a serious concussion. She did not have a helmet in the crash, and a bystander took her to the university health center. She was very disoriented, and they gave her a f*cking ice pack and sent her home by herself. She doesn't remember an awful lot of what happened because of that concussion, particularly how she got home. Yet the university health center gave her a goddamn icepack and booted her out the door.

"Contracted ONLY for varsity athletes" my ass.

Rides all the bikes!
    I wonder if she walked in with a broken arm if they would have offered assistance for a "non varsity athlete"?

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by Harold View Post
    Damn shame. University health departments are NOT good with this sort of thing.

My wife wrecked her bike commuting on campus when she was an undergrad. She ABSOLUTELY had a serious concussion. She did not have a helmet in the crash, and a bystander took her to the university health center. She was very disoriented, and they gave her a f*cking ice pack and sent her home by herself. She doesn't remember an awful lot of what happened because of that concussion, particularly how she got home. Yet the university health center gave her a goddamn icepack and booted her out the door.

"Contracted ONLY for varsity athletes" my ass.
    That makes me wonder about other schools. The big university in my town has their own little nurses clinic. Whenever we get called for any medical emergency on campus the majority of the time the students rather go there than to the hospital. As long as they are fully alert we can't force them to go to the hospital. That clinic very rarely calls 9-1-1 for anything. This leaves me curious if they are doing the same thing, here's a band-aid, get back to class.
    Will swerve for leaves.

since 4/10/2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Leafkiller View Post
    That makes me wonder about other schools. The big university in my town has their own little nurses clinic. Whenever we get called for any medical emergency on campus the majority of the time the students rather go there than to the hospital. As long as they are fully alert we can't force them to go to the hospital. That clinic very rarely calls 9-1-1 for anything. This leaves me curious if they are doing the same thing, here's a band-aid, get back to class.
    Also worth pointing out -

When I was in grad school, I dealt with a cancer diagnosis. As part of that illness, I spent 18 days in a drug induced coma while doctors addressed severe brain stem swelling. When I was brought out of that coma, doctors told me that my recovery would include many of the same issues as someone with a traumatic brain injury. When I returned to classes, I started to get a real grasp on how that affected my cognition. My brain was messed up for years. I didn't deal with the same kinds of emotional changes as Kelly, but it was tough nonetheless.

I reached out to my university for assistance dealing with those cognitive changes, and they didn't know what to do with me. I was pointed to the disability services department, but they refused to help me unless I had documentation of a cognitive disability. I didn't have a disability - I had an injury. And the university was both unwilling and unable to help me with that injury, even as it related directly to my studies.

I was thankfully able to work with an individual professor on the challenges I was having, and I feel that the particular professor in question went above and beyond in that case. In Catlin's case, that's not something a professor is going to be equipped to help with. Particularly one in her department.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Wow, glad you got help and are doing better Harold!

The excuse about the contract being only for varsity athletes is such BS. They are basically saying they didn't want to pay any extra to help a student who was not a varsity athlete. I hope they learn from this deadly mistake.