Upgrade options...- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Upgrade options...

The significant other has recently gotten into mountain biking. She mainly rides in Santa Cruz and picked up a Specialized Rockhopper Comp (women's) and is really enjoying that. She's basically doing Wilder Ranch and some of the twisty, not-super technical trails in upper UCSC on a hard tail. She is happy with her bike, but curious about upgrading -- especially since she could private party her current bike and her previous (specialized jynx) for a nice down payment.

A local SC shop that deals in specialized and Santa Cruz recommended the Chameleon or hopping to the Julianna in the near term.

My thinking is she should get some more miles in, expand her trail exposure, and then figure out if she wants to move to FS. The chameleon doesn't make a lot of sense since it's another hard tail and she isn't pushing the limits on the one she is riding yet.

Thoughts? If upgrading to FS, what would be some women's options beyond Julianna? Apparently they are going all carbon next year and won't have AL options (thus, increased cost).

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Don't feel like you have to go the "women's bike" route. The Juliana bikes are absolutely identical as the Santa Cruz versions as far as the frame goes..the build kit differs but in my experience those bits get changed out for what we prefer anyway. I agree not a lot of value moving to another hardtail....the options are endless depending on budget if you move away from women's specific..

As for upgrading her current ride the places I would look at are the fork and the wheels but they are expensive upgrades and the money might be better put against a new bike. There are some pretty good short travel fully 29rs around ..the Giant Trance being one that is a nice ride and great value for money