Trail recommendations in Moab- Mtbr.com

Mar 2004

Trail recommendations in Moab

We are heading down to Moab this weekend (our first time) and I was hoping some of you could give us some trail recommendations. My husband and I typically like technical single track with lots of ups and downs but we haven't been on our bikes since last October. We are hoping to do some moderate rides, not complete lung busters. What can you all recommend? We will be riding all day Saturday and half day on Sunday. TIA

kelly

Mar 2004
    BTW, why isn't my thread in bold letters?

kelly

DOH!
    - Porcupine, shuttled (lest you enter the lung-busting realm).
    - Amasa Back
    - Slickrock
    - Fisher's Mesa (if snow-free).
    - Gemini Bridges
    - new trail out of town a ways...can't remember the name right now. Supposed to be nice desert singletrack.

Have fun!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SprungShoulders
    - new trail out of town a ways...can't remember the name right now. Supposed to be nice desert singletrack.
    I think the singletrack is called Sovreign, but I could be wrong. Up near Klondike Bluffs/airport.

I personally would not ever do Gemini Bridges on a bike or on foot (unless it's way off-season I guess). So much of it is basically a graded road that there isn't just jeep traffic, but minivans and cars and quads... It's a full on highway on a busy day and you'd be eating dust. Monitor and Merrimac is another one I can't fathom why people ride bikes on - miles of beach sand before you get to the slickrock. I'd lose my mind without motorized transportation.

Definitely try Slickrock, Porcupine, Amasa Back, Bartlett Wash, Klondike Bluffs. Poison Spider is good, but there's a decent amount of sand. None of it is singletrack, but very fun and technical.

Feb 2004

M-squared

Quote Originally Posted by connie
    Monitor and Merrimac is another one I can't fathom why people ride bikes on - miles of beach sand before you get to the slickrock. I'd lose my mind without motorized transportation.
    Interesting. I've ridden that one twice, but it's been 3 or 4 years since the last time I rode it. I enjoyed it both times. The first time I was with 3 others,. Two of which were constantly swearing about the sand I had fun with the technical sand challenges. The 2nd time I went out there by myself... in October. It was so desolate and peaceful in the morning. Everyone was riding those "other" trails. I remember going "up" towards the M's one way, and coming down through heavy sand a different way. I wonder if I rode the proper trail going up? I think both times I rode it a day or so after rain. I know that fact had to have made it easier! I guess all us girls have different trail rating systems.

mtbr member
    I'm impressed! We rode it on dirt bikes last weekend and had a blast, but all the mountain bikers we saw looked extremely unhappy. (As I certainly would be if I were in their shoes.) It hasn't rained in forever though, so the sand was DEEP.

There are a bunch of various trails at M&M, and one route is recommended for motorized vehicles (more sand) and another for bikes (less sand - but still a lot) but neither looks like my style under my own power. On a mountain bike I'd much rather challenge myself with rocky technical trails like Amasa Back or Porcupine.