shimano dx-646 clipless pedals- Mtbr.com
    Kat

Oct 2004

New question here. shimano dx-646 clipless pedals

I just purchased a set of shimano clipless pedals and need some advice on how to modify my cleats so they lock in better. I have put one set of spacers under the cleats but now I think I might have to chop away at my MTB shoes. Any words of wisdom before I start cutting at my shoes?

mtbr member
    Some shoes do need some cutting back to allow clearance for the cleats. If they need it - do it. I don't see any reason not to.

mtbr member
    I had similar issues several years ago. Diadora mtb shoe soles do not work well with Shimano clipless platforms. I had to use an exacto knife and cut off a couple nipples from the shoes.

Do your best to put the cleats in the appropriate position for your feet and then clip in the pedals. Even if it is really hard to clip in. Remove your feet from the shoes and examine the contact points between the shoes and the pedals for where you need to trim the shoes.

good luck.

Kat

Oct 2004

shimano pedals

I will give it a go! I am new to clipless and love them but don't know all the tricks to getting them to work. Thank you for your advice.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Quote Originally Posted by heb
    I will give it a go! I am new to clipless and love them but don't know all the tricks to getting them to work. Thank you for your advice.
    my advice is to set them REALLY loose, keep them well lubed, and practive in a grassy field. Don't worry, you will tip over ...."timber....." it is ineveitable.

formica

Kat

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CycleMainiac
    I had similar issues several years ago. Diadora mtb shoe soles do not work well with Shimano clipless platforms. I had to use an exacto knife and cut off a couple nipples from the shoes.

Do your best to put the cleats in the appropriate position for your feet and then clip in the pedals. Even if it is really hard to clip in. Remove your feet from the shoes and examine the contact points between the shoes and the pedals for where you need to trim the shoes.

good luck.
    Thanks for the the info. I went ahead and chopped away at my shoes and it did the trick! I clip in and out of them in no time!