Riding Glasses?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Riding Glasses?

mtbr member

Riding Glasses?

I'm looking for woman's riding glasses for my wife. Not so concerned about lens tint, fit and anti-fog/sweat-drips are the main concern. She's petite (sp?). What do you gals reccommend? Thanks!
    Only if I got paid to hang out in my garage and tweak on my bikes...

Moderator Moderator
    Not sure why tint would be unimportant, if they are too dark you can't see the trail details well. Since our trails are mostly shaded in summer, and I also commute all year, which means low light conditions, my last purchase was ZeroRH 616 Stylus Sunglasses Pearl White Frames/Clear Lenses. Very flexy and comfy and clear. But I've lost/broken a lot of sunglasses so I only buy stuff on sale.

mtbr member
    Just meant that clear lenses are just fine. Thanks for the info!

The Other F Word
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Badassbassangler View Post
    I'm looking for woman's riding glasses for my wife. Not so concerned about lens tint, fit and anti-fog/sweat-drips are the main concern. She's petite (sp?). What do you gals reccommend? Thanks!
    I assume you mentioned 'petite' because she needs smaller frames? I'd recommend she go try on a few different styles & brands and see which ones fit, for starters.

I've heard good things about Smith's smaller frames, but have not field-tested them as they don't fit me. I personally wear a pair of children's Oakley Fives. They are old and severely out of style, but have survived several crashes over the years.

A thin headband is the best way to combat sweat drips: stop them before they get there.

As for anti-fog, despite manufacturer's claims, ain't no such thing. (As someone who has worn glasses for over 3 decades, I know whereof I speak.) I've had the best luck with Cat Crap, but even that only rates a "meh". Making sure the glasses have good air flow between the lens & the face will help with that, but not prevent it, especially when stopping for snacks.

gabrielle
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    just plain unfriendly and maladjusted.
    "Yes, honey: I do love this bike more than I love you."

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gabrielle View Post
    I assume you mentioned 'petite' because she needs smaller frames? I'd recommend she go try on a few different styles & brands and see which ones fit, for starters.

I've heard good things about Smith's smaller frames, but have not field-tested them as they don't fit me. I personally wear a pair of children's Oakley Fives. They are old and severely out of style, but have survived several crashes over the years.

A thin headband is the best way to combat sweat drips: stop them before they get there.

As for anti-fog, despite manufacturer's claims, ain't no such thing. (As someone who has worn glasses for over 3 decades, I know whereof I speak.) I've had the best luck with Cat Crap, but even that only rates a "meh". Making sure the glasses have good air flow between the lens & the face will help with that, but not prevent it, especially when stopping for snacks.

gabrielle
    Good advice! Thank you!

LW Coaching
    Jul 2005
    I love my Smith Pivlock V90 max. Comes with 3 lenses. I am petite and ride a lot.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    +1 for the Smith Pivlocks. I have the small frames with 3 lenses (pink, grey and clear) and use them for 100% of my rides. They don't slip and I love that there's no giant frame line when I'm tucked low on descents.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    $10 safety glasses from Lowes/Home Depot. Believe it or not, they have some decent-looking ones. I am constantly losing and/or breaking my glasses, so I don't bother spending $40+ on a pair anymore.

Members who have read this thread: 0