Riding Glasses?- Mtbr.com

Thread: Riding Glasses?

mtbr member

Riding Glasses?

Hey Ladies!

I am looking for a pair of glasses that I can wear in lower light, forested riding conditions. I want them to look more like stylish sunglasses though than the typical glasses that you would see on road bikers. I would love to be able to wear them while cross country skiing in the winter as well, so they need to be well vented (don't want them fogging up!) as well as helmet compatible. Would love some photochromic lenses too.

There were some other posts about glasses elsewhere on the forum, but no ladies replied. What do you all wear to protect your eyes while biking?

Thanks!

Moderator Moderator
    I recently had to replace my photochromatic pair, and got these: https://www.tifosioptics.com/product...d-red-fototec/ They may not pas your stylish requirement though. They are very comfy. I find I need narrow "arms" or I get uncomfortable interference with the helmet. I haven't used them in true woods yet since the leaves are not out, but they are good for fatbiking and commuting. No risk of fogging unless I stop at a light and have on a buff directing my breath up to the glasses. I will add a PSA to always wear sunglasses for any outdoor activities, I got early cataracts from too much sun off snow, water, biking, etc.

L1MEY
    I have a really small head and have trouble finding glasses that fit me well. I wear Oakley Quarter Jackets for outdoor activities (they are youth fit glasses) but they're not exactly subtle! My everyday glasses are Oakley Tiebreaker, which look good but don't provide the same amount of coverage as the QJ's for sports where you're moving quickly. I haven't had major fog problems with either pair, though the QJ's fit closely to my face so they sometimes fog if I'm working hard, there is no breeze and the air is cold... mostly happens if I'm skinning up a hill and stop for a break.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
    Ride like a girl! :cornut:

mtbr member
    Thanks for the responses.

mtbxplorer - I am contemplating trying those ones. It's hard to find any pics on the web of how they actually look on a person though. Care to share a photo of how they look on you?

mahgnillig - I have a small head too. I love the Maui Jim's that I have, but they also fit close to my face and I find they fog up a lot. I'm worried the same would happen with any glasses that aren't vented and that fit so close to the face.

These are the ones that I really wanted and really wanted to love. The glasses fit ok and had great venting, but the strap on them sucks and the arms are too big to fit comfortably with a helmet. I don't think they looked terrible on me though (even though the photo of me is actually terrible!). Has anyone seen anything anything kind of similar?

Riding Glasses?-maui_jim_waterman_r41005_a_1024x1024.jpg

Riding Glasses?-img_0398.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    https://www.ryderseyewear.com/eyewea...hromic-antifog has anti fog and photochromic. In the Fyre collection, check out the Aero model. The Fyre lenses rival the Oakley Prizm lenses and unlike the Prizm lenses, the Fyre lenses are anti fog. Ryders eyewear has its heritage in Canada's North Shore and is oriented towards mtb rather than road biking.

mtbr member
    Oooh! Those look awesome! I especially like the look of the Aero ones. Hopefully I can find somewhere around here to try them on!

Riding Glasses?-r05319a_1024x456-1024x456.jpg

mtbr member
    I had to bump this oldish thread - i'm always on the lookout for good riding eyewear, I have to order prescriptions glasses though and have used some transition lenses in the past. I ordered the oakley flak XL 2.0 frames with the oakley trail prizm lenses.... it's a serious game changer for me. Plenty ventilated, the detail that pops out is amazing, and they are really light. It just makes the terrain so vibrant and changes in texture really pop. I haven't had any fogging issues yet, but I usually don't have fogging problems for some reason.

I'd go find a place that has those lenses and check them out, they come with other frames as well. If you don't need RX lenses I'm jealous and your options are vastly improved and much cheaper!

Moderator Moderator
    I managed to send those Tifosi's I got through the wash. They came out super clean and undamaged as far as I can tell. Been using them for a few weeks since then with no complaints!

mtbr member
    I'm so in love with a pair of old Tifosi fototecs (backcountry brown lenses) that I bought way back in 2008. They are simply perfect in every way. I'd like a backup pair, but Tifosi doesn't seem to make them (that lens, that frame) anymore. Good luck in your search.
    Bionically Modified

mtbr member
    I finally ordered the Ryders ones and loved the frames and how they looked, but I just couldn't do the lenses. For some reason, I was seeing 3 of everything. It's like there was a reflection on both the inside and the outside of the glasses.

Back to the drawing board.