No Large women's bikes. What are taller women buying?- Mtbr.com
    Some guy
    Jul 2007

No Large women's bikes. What are taller women buying?

My wife and I are buying her first MTB. We are currently looking at a Norco Fluid HT (27.5+). She is 5'11 which puts her right in the high end of M/low end of L frame sizes. I'm 5'10.5 (no jokes please ) and have always been happier on a M frame but I'm not sure if that's right for her. She feels "fine" on my medium size bikes but hasn't spent much time on them.

For the women in this height bracket, have you been riding medium women's bikes or going to the large unisex bikes?

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Funny enough, I'm 5'10.5 and my girlfriend is 5'11.5". We both ride men's (unisex?) size larges. I think there's some companies that cater their women's geometry to fit the average women, since there is a difference in average inseam/height ratio between men and women. But most are a different color and saddle, I've seen narrower bars on women's bikes too. I would approach it the same way I would approach sizing anyone, size the ETT to torso height, and make sure the stack and standover height will accommodate the leg length. I would imagine women's mediums would be small for her, unless she has really long legs and short torso.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    My GF is 5'10" and has long legs and arms with a slender build. She was on a Giant Trance. A friend of ours is a LIV ambassador and I got my GF to look at them at a demo day last year. She loved it. She now rides a LIV Hail 1 size large and she loves it. We may swap out the stem for one 10mm longer because of her arms but it hasn't been decided on. It is a long bike but she rides at least 3-4 days a week and she rips.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

Some guy
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbiker64 View Post
    My GF is 5'10" and has long legs and arms with a slender build. She was on a Giant Trance. A friend of ours is a LIV ambassador and I got my GF to look at them at a demo day last year. She loved it. She now rides a LIV Hail 1 size large and she loves it. We may swap out the stem for one 10mm longer because of her arms but it hasn't been decided on. It is a long bike but she rides at least 3-4 days a week and she rips.
    We were looking at the LIV bikes but their selection of hardtails is pretty poor. And no 27.5+ hardtails at all . They seem to cover only higher end FS bikes or cheap (<$1K) hardtails. Nothing in between which is where we are looking. Too bad because LIV does offer a ladies large which is right in line with my wife's height, so in this case there is no debate on sizing like most unisex bikes where she's right on the M/L transition.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    didn't know you were only looking for a hardtail. Good luck in your search.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Specialized offers women's specific hardtails in size large.
    LOVE THE RIDE!

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am 5'10". Short torso and narrow shoulders, but long long legs. I rode/raced a Specialized SWorks Fate for years, in a large size. I think Specialized discontinued that women's line, though. Now I ride a Specialized Epic in "men's" medium. I also have a BMC trail-oriented bike in a medium.

The only women's specific bike I own anymore is a Specialized Ruby road bike. Otherwise everything from my mountain bikes to cyclocross bikes to fat bike to gravel bike are unisex/men's. I've learned no matter the gender of the bike I will have to change stem length, possibly handlebars, and saddle to my own preference, so I don't seek out women's specific bikes anymore.

mtbr member
    Jul 2019
    That's a good call on the seats as I prefer the seats marketed towards women as they are way more comfortable than the stock men's model, which generally run a bit narrow. I kind of hate that we have to market bikes as men & women instead of the more logical size, weight & seat comfort.