My Turn to Look for a New Bike!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

My Turn to Look for a New Bike!

I currently ride a 2015 Liv Lust 1 (100/100) and find it a little lacking, although itís still a great bike. The Liv Intrigue Advanced is the bike that I thought would be perfect for me on paper but I wanted to demo as many bikes as possible to make sure that I found the perfect one. I thought Iíd share what I found in case others are looking for new bikes too. The first thing I found is hat it is hard to find demos! There were a few others that I would have liked to have tried, but couldnít find an opportunity to do so.

I am planning to spend around $5,000 a $6,000. Hoping for GX Eagle and Guide RS or equivalents.

Liv Pique 130/120 - didnít like it. Maybe a higher end build would have been better. It didnít feel light and playful like I expected it to and didnít even feel like it climbed as well as my current bike. I wanted to try it though as I was worried that maybe the Intrigue had more travel than I needed/wanted.

Kona Process 160/153 - felt like a heavy pig couch. Made me worried that I would not want a bike with that much travel.

Kona Hei Hei Trail 140/140 - blew me away! I was very surprised. Climbed so well over roots and rocks. Felt really easy to control but still felt like it wanted to have fun when I wanted a little airtime off of small drops. Only drawbacks were the high standover height (Iím 5í2 with shoes on, 28.5Ē inseam) and I didnít love the colour. Least expensive of all the ones I tried with decent specs as well (GX Eagle and Guide R)

Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt 130/130 and Altitude 160/150- the Thunderbolt should be the better climber of the 2, but I felt the Altitude climbed better and was more fun on the downs. I was very underwhelmed by the Thunderbolt. The Altitude was nice and seemed to fit me ok, but I wasnít blown away by it like I was the Kona.

Cannondale Habit 29er 130/130 - I really wanted to try a 29er but wasnít sure about them as I am so short. I did really like this bike. I loved how the big wheels rolled over everything but the standover was just too high. And somehow, I kept bashing my inner knees on the top tube when climbing hard out of the saddle.

Juliana Furtado 130/130 - front end felt really light so I was surprised at how wel it climbed and how planted the front end remained. Itís a great bike, but again, the standover was too high and I was bashing knees. Most comfortable saddle of all I tried though!

Specialized Stumpjumper 150/150 - This is another bike that really surprised me with how much I liked it. It climbed great, was amazing in the corners and fun on the downs. Didnít love the specs on the $4,000 CAD model and the next jump up was too $$$.

Ibis Mojo 3 140/130 - This is the other bike that I thought I would absolutely love but kinda hoped I wouldnít because of the cost. I found this bike to be... ok. I liked it and would have been happy with it, but I didnít love it. Of all of the bikes that I tried, this is the one that would have taken the most getting used to. It seemed to put me in a different position too far over the front of the bike, or if not too far over the front, at least not far enough over the back??? It is a gorgeous bike, but just not the one for me.

FINALLY, I was able to demo the Intrigue even though it meant that we had to postpone our holidays by a day. I am so glad that we did!

Liv Intrigue Advanced 150/140 - This bike is exactly what I hoped it would feel like. It flew up the climbs, it felt like I was on 29er wheels, it soaked up all of the trail chatter and chunder, it felt light and playful but also planted, it cornered great. It felt like ďhomeĒ. It felt like my current bike with the ďmoreĒ that I was looking for. I only demoed the Intrigue Advanced 2 version but I will be getting the 1 version. Iím excited to feel the difference that the higher specs and the carbon wheels make! I am also going to wait for the 2020 model as the rep told me that it will be coming in Rainbow Black/Black and that it might ship with a new seat similar to the Specialized Power Arc with Mimic.

ETA: I demoed a Devinci Troy this afternoon and really liked it as well. It rode great but felt heavier than the Liv and the Kona, especially in the uphills. It was great in the downs and in the turns though. I wanted to mention that I rode the XS in the Devinci and felt that it fit me wonderfully. I wish more bike companies would offer demos in XS sizes. According to Liv I should be on an XS but they never have any XS to demo. I refuse to buy a bike that I havenít tried and the S was fine.

Donít know how I am going to wait until September for this bike! My bike needs an overhaul but Iím too busy riding it to do it!

Formica - Are you still loving your Intrigue? Would love an update after some long term use!

Last edited by mLeier; 1 Week Ago at 10:11 PM.

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Great reviews, thanks for sharing your experiences. Your soon to be new bike sounds great! I helped guide Orbea demo trailrides last weekend for the LBS and purposefully used my own bike rather than try out the new bike$$$. Afterward I was kicking myself, though, why wouldn't you want to try out a $7600 Rallon??? Doh!

mtbr member
    Sep 2018
    Nice reviews, thank you. I've been looking for a new bike myself this summer. I am determined to get a gravel bike since I'm enjoying the long distance riding aspect more than just the trails all the time. I still love trails and will be keeping my Liv for those. I demoed a few at my LBS. Settled on a Liv Thrive 2. I don't have a very good budget, maybe one day. Got it on layaway and should be bringing it home soon. I love the smell of a new bike over the smell of a new car.

I like your reviews and look forward to how the bike works for you.
    Will swerve for leaves.

Don't worry, be happy!
    I'm riding the new Carbon Liv Intrigue. The geometry changes over the original Intrigue are outstanding. More later gotta run.

mtbr member
    Wow, you did a great job finding bikes to demo, that was a ton of them!

I'll just throw my 2 cents in on the Furtado since my wife bought one last fall.

- she absolutely loves it!

- she's also 5'2" and, surprisingly, the small size frame fits her whereas her other bikes have all been extra small. Maybe her legs are longer than the OP's.

- IMO, the bike is relatively heavy so pay attention to that if weight is important to you. I probably shouldn't have mentioned that to my wife as she's now thinking up a whole list of xmas gift ideas aimed at shaving some grams off her ride. I really don't think I can swing carbon wheels this year...

Don't worry, be happy!
    OK whew sorry about that.
    Yasss.... Love my new Intrigue. I bought it blind just waited for the new version. Part of this is that I am an "unofficial" Liv Ambassador for my local shop and they give me a really good break on it. I did demo a few other things but nothing that would make me change my mind.

What she says. It's smooth, it eats up chatter and junk, climbs like a champ and corners beautifully. The geometry changes are total improvements. Way less pedal strikes, jumps better, corners better, climbs better. The dropper has more drop on it than the original but my one complaint is that the nature of the triangle design is such that you can't "slam" the dropper all the way into the frame.

Interesting tho - it's only .5 lb lighter than the aluminum one I had before.

When I had them build it I went for some discreet bling like red rotor bolts, stem, bar ends and not much more.

My Turn to Look for a New Bike!-20190615_112958.jpg

Don't worry, be happy!
    Not sure why that loaded sideways. :P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by formica View Post

When I had them build it I went for some discreet bling like red rotor bolts, stem, bar ends and not much more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190615_112958.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	419.0 KB 
ID:	1263959
    Sweet! Glad to hear that you are still loving it! I am hoping that the re was right about the Rainbow Black/Black colour for the 2020ís. Iím hoping to bling it out with a little oil slick.

Don't worry, be happy!
    What is oil slick? We tried re cable but it was the wrong color red.

mtbr member
    Rainbow!

My Turn to Look for a New Bike!-70cc7f03-3185-4b85-94fa-c384752da031.jpg

My Turn to Look for a New Bike!-c83ded3f-a95d-487f-ba13-1537552a4e28.jpg

This is the Hail in the Rainbow Black/Black. If the Intrigue does come in this colour, I think the oil slick would look pretty sweet on it!

My Turn to Look for a New Bike!-b81f0136-f171-43db-9fb9-c7ad8143ef90.jpeg