Mountain Biking's Bumpy Road to Gender Equality- Mtbr.com
    Moderator Moderator

Mountain Biking's Bumpy Road to Gender Equality

mtbr member
    I understand that women are underpaid relative to their male contemporaries. I think that's a function of society, not those who write the checks for the athletes they purchase. A professional athlete is an entertainer and should be paid based on the number of people that watch the sport based on their participation...IOW the number of tickets they sell. In a perfect world, gender would be irrelevant, but the reality is that women athletes just don't sell enough tickets to justify salary equality. Yet.

Moderator Moderator
    The article is not really about money.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbxplorer View Post
    The article is not really about money.
    Yeah, I know, but I was sympathetic to the rest of her well-written piece. I thought she made some interesting points...so much so that I actually looked up some of her interviews on YouTube. I found her to be quite eloquent and an impressive representative athlete.

Rides all the bikes!
    [QUOTE=Cuyuna;13927451I found her to be quite eloquent and an impressive representative athlete.[/QUOTE]

Graduate of Stanford with a degree in biology.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I think about this regularly and don't have a set opinion or theory, but some items I toss about on:

The economics mentioned above are true. Men's sports are more widely watched, so they'll make more money. Until viewership and fan base changes, that will not, in general.

Women and men are physiologically different on average. There are sports that men will always be better at on average. The kicker is that the same logic says there are sports that women should be better at on average too, but we don't see that... But why?

I think the obvious reason, that will hopefully change over time, is that young girls are not encouraged to do sports like males are. If fewer participate as kids, then there is a smaller pool to draw from to find those naturally talented or absurdly driven ones. There's a woman out there that would ride the pony tale off Kate, but if she was never encouraged to try we'll never know it.

I think also having genders separate can compound the problem. I bet 90% of the people on this board have increased their skill and fitness on the bike by riding with someone better, and upping their game. The

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Men are currently faster than the women,; Kate would have only gotten 30th place in their field. I don't doubt she could do better, but maybe she needs to be challenged more.

Either way, I think it's awesome that people are starting to enjoy it for the competition and excitement, like they should be. Nobody on mtbr can outride her, so I'm glad that credit is being given where credit is due!

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Sorry for that weird text, my Tapatalk is FUBAR

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

9 lives
    Mountain Biking's Bumpy Road to Gender Equality-48404692_2575857215768607_5233506646193340416_n.png
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Every man I know, introduces their daughters to the exact same sports as their boys, the ones where you don't have to compete directly against men (i.e. football). That includes me, my daughter is 6 and has her 4th bike for instance and frankly has max support from my wife and I, and opportunity as I try to grow her love of the outdoors and keeping her body moving.

The difference is that women, on average, just aren't nearly as athletic or interested in these sports. I live in a neighborhood just full of children and it's been interesting to watch the progression of their athletic abilities as we all skate/ bike/ scooter/ run/ rollerblade in the street. There is just no denying that boys are just a lot more aggressive and capable right off the bat and the difference just seems to grow weekly. Also the boys just want to play rough and you have to round them up to keep them from taking off. The girls are more likely, to play house when left to their own devices. That doesn't come from the parents, it's just what the kids gravitate towards.

Of course there are many exceptions to every rule.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    No doubt she is an impressive xc racer, but she seems to be giving herself too much credit for a pivotal shift in gender equality since “she won worlds”, does a disservice to all of the women in cycling before her that paved or cut trail so that she could even have a career.

mtbr member
    Jan 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by tfinator View Post
    Women and men are physiologically different on average. There are sports that men will always be better at on average. The kicker is that the same logic says there are sports that women should be better at on average too, but we don't see that... But why?
    Something that many people won't admit is that men are different and as a result in any physical sport the best men will outperform the best woman.

Motorsports are a great sport from which to compare. The driver needs quick reflexes, fine motor skills (no pun intended, referring to eye hand skill and finesse of controls, etc), average strength with better than average endurance (should be a woman's advantage there according to all the biology experts), the ability to make decisions and react in 100th's of a second, multitask (again, the experts claim women are better at multitasking). Yet no woman has ever won the Nascar championship (Danika Patrick only won one race in Asia where the major teams didn't even go since it was a no points race). She doesn't hold any track records in Formula Ford racing which is from where she was promoted to race professionally. No woman has been a major contender in Formula one (I was fortunate enough to take racing lessons from a gal who was a Formula one drive for part of a season). No woman has beaten the men's records downhill skiing. No woman has won a Mens major golf tournament. There are a lot of sports where the gender should not make any difference, yet the guys always finish higher that the gals.

Moderator Moderator
    Wow, a lot of mansplaining in here lately. Please see Women's Lounge is for Women - Guys Read This https://forums.mtbr.com/womens-loung...ad-183860.html and consider if what you are posting is supportive of the women's mountain biker community or not.

9 lives
    Kendall Coyne Schofield is my new hero

https://www.latimes.com/sports/hocke...125-story.html
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Moderator Moderator
    ^^Love that and all of USA Women's Hockey! We have Amanda Pelkey here from VT! A local bar was open for breakfast for their games at the last Olympics, that was fun, a lot of community support.

Don't worry, be happy!
    Laia Sainz placed in the top 15 in this and last years Dakar motorcycle class. That's better than 75% of the men.

9 lives
    We make the rocking world go round

Mountain Biking's Bumpy Road to Gender Equality-51368218_2457709087604780_3967570408701427712_n.jpg

Get on your bikes and ride! ----Freddie Mercury
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies